Edit me! --------------------->
Ukraine News in Container
23 Mar. DPR MoD: Ukrainian forces shelled Kominternovo and Leninskoe, electric power line and 3 houses were damaged. DPR returned fire, suppressing Ukrainian firing positions, using weapons not banned by Minsk agreements. DPR MoD warns about Ukrainian provocation plans with elections approaching and Poroshenko on track to lose. According to DPR MoD, such plans include provocations against OSCE observers, or causing mass civilian casualties on Ukrainian-controlled territory, in particular at a check-point Zolotarevo, which is set to open, but is said to be mined.
22 Mar. SBU claims that it "prevented a terrorist act" in Kharkov prepared by "Russian services"; with a video featuring a gas cylinder on hand truck and no-face no-voice arrest scene. (What possibly can go wrong here?)
21 Mar. DPR MoD. 7 ceasefire violations by Ukraine in the past day, one DPR soldier killed. As a result of shelling of middle school 116, 2 unexploded munitions were found, schoolchildren evacuated. DPR returned fire. It is said that 2 Ukrainian soldiers were killed and one wounded as a result.
Gallup: World-low 9% of Ukrainians confident in the government, low confidence in elections, high confidence in government corruption.
20 Mar. The Ukrainian prosecutor general Yuriy Lutsenko tells US media that at their first meeting after he took office (in 2016), he received a "do not prosecute" list from US ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch. He also complained about his office not receiving 4 mln $ in US assistance. His claims and the response ("assistance redirected") are here.
- Ukrainian media: it is strange that the case of Sytnik and Leshenko interference in the US presidential elections (leaking pre-trial information on Manafort) only came to light now.
19 Mar. DPR ombudsman. In the period of 1-14 March, 6 people were killed (4 of them soldiers), 5 people were wounded (4 soldiers and a civilian man).
11 Mar. Six settlements in Novoazov region, DPR lost electric power on Mar. 7 due to Ukrainian shelling. Ukraine still did not respond to requests of ceasefire regime to conduct the repair work.
10 Mar. DPR MoD: despite the agreed Spring ceasefire, DPR soldier was killed by Ukrainian sniper fire. DPR appeals to international human rights and humanitarian organizations 'to record the murder and to assist in bringing those responsible to justice'. Also, Ukraine fired but missed 'Fagot' anti tank missile on control rooms of Vasilievka water pumping station. This water pumping station is a very important one, and its destruction or stoppage will cut water supply to over 40 settlements with a population of 1.8 million people and will inevitably lead to a humanitarian catastrophe. DPR appeals to OSCE to record the incident and to pressure Ukrainian military to observe agreed ceasefire.
9 Mar. Group of nationalists clashed with police at a meeting in Cherkassy where Poroshenko spoke; 15 policemen were injured. Nationalists were trying to question Poroshenko (on thefts of military supplies, etc), however Poroshenko hurriedly left when clashes started.
Russian and Ukrainian sources report details of Merkel refusal to follow US request to deploy ships to support Ukrainian passage to Kerch straights. Israeli Solomon Mann in a Facebook post in Russian (apparently) gives those details from a restricted account of a German politician: Merkel to Ursula von der Leyen: You talk like children!" , " you assume that Putin will not undertake anything and will watch how we defile in the strait. And if he does with our ships the same thing that he had already done once with the Ukrainian ones? What are you suggesting, for Germany to fight, Madam Minister? Why should we neglect the interests of Germany for the sake of the interests of the United States? ... ". Frau Chancellor also referred to a letter from France, where Macron warns Merkel against "rash steps" on "incitement from the USA."
8 Mar. Another ceasefire has been agreed from Mar. 8 ('international women's day'), however 5 ceasefire violations are reported overnight and in the morning hours.
4 Mar. DPR MoD: A civilian man is killed by UAF shelling of Sakhanka. DPR returned fire, suppressing UAF firing position "with weapons not banned." 2 UAF soldiers reportedly killed, 3 wounded. One DPR soldier is killed and one wounded.
3 Mar. It is said that Ukraine is deploying considerable forces and equipment to an area near Avdeevka, north of Donetsk; serious security deterioration is feared. Some shelling is reported by DPR's JCCC representatives on all the separation line in the evening
2 Mar. Ukrainian forces fired 6 mortar shells on Kominternovo, a residential home (Akhmatova 47 St.) was destroyed.
25 Feb. Car explosion is reported in Makeevka, said to target DPR commander, who is said to survive.
24 Feb. DPR MoD announces new intelligence information on planned Ukrainian provocation targeting 'residential infrastructure'.
23 Feb. 3 DPR soldiers are killed by Ukrainian shelling in the past day (23 Feb. is the traditional Soviet Army day).
Opolchenie war correspondent Mag report for the week of 8-14 Feb. notes increased warfare by Ukrainian forces, stating that in the past week, 7 DPR soldiers were killed, 4 soldiers and 3 civilians wounded; 15 DPR soldiers killed from 1 Jan. to 14 Feb. DPR ombudsman report: 2 DPR soldiers killed and 3 civilians wounded from 15 to 21 Feb; 17 soldiers killed and 14 people (8 soldiers, 5 civilian men, and a civilian woman) wounded from 1 Jan to 21 Feb.
A civilian car was hit by an explosion at Yelenovka checkpoint, the driver and his mother were killed, another man wounded. In updated report it is said that driver lost control prior to that (and apparently hit a landmine).
21 Feb. Lavrov: Kiev is preparing another provocation in the Kerch straights. Separately , it is reported 1, 2, 3 with photos and official video, that 2 Ukrainian "Gurza" armored boats and one "Centaur" assault boat with Marines on board departed on 20 Feb, said to be 'for training'.
17 Feb. Ukrainian 'joint forces' (ATO-2) claim that they discovered and repelled DPR RSG group attack and captured one DPR fighter. Russian sources reported two such similar-sounding claims, 1, 2, expressing doubt that this happened at all, and are those reports describe separate incidents. No photos/videos or further proofs are known to appear in Ukrainian or Russian sources. It is possible that this is propaganda timed with approaching presidential elections in Ukraine. Separately, there has been recent reports of prisoners captured by DPR, some with photos and videos.
16 Feb. JCCC: an elderly woman (1949 DOB) is wounded in Ukrainian shelling of Dokuchaevsk.
15 Feb. DPR ombudsman: in the past week, 7 DPR soldiers were killed, 4 soldiers wounded.
12 Feb. UN meeting on Ukraine, initiated by Russia. It is noted that (obviously) Minsk agreements are not implemented, with Russia blaming Ukraine, and the West + Ukraine blatantly blaming Russia. No apparent breakthroughs.
8 Feb. DPR MOD: 4 DPR soldiers were killed when Ukraine fired illuminating munitions used as incendiary devices, setting fire to a residential house. DPR soldiers were putting out the fire. Ukrainian forces then shelled the area using drone for fire correction, killing 3 soldiers; one more soldier was killed trying to recover the bodies. Also, marked vehicle carrying 'Water of Donbass' crew was shelled with mortars, SPG, large caliber machine guns and firearms; the crew managed to escape.
7 Feb. Water pumping station near Yasinovataya came under fire, with personnel having to take cover in a shelter, when Ukraine fired SPG from Novoselovka-2 in the direction of Vasilevka. Ukrainian representatives at JCCC were unable to ensure ceasefire to evacuate personnel.
6 Feb. DPR- Basurin: UAF intensified shelling, with elections approaching. DPR JCCC representatives: Ukraine resumed shelling of Donetsk, mortar shells fired in the direction of Avdeevka, Spartak (map).
Victor Yanukovich, ex-president of Ukraine, who was sentenced to 13 years in absentia by Ukrainian court under state treason charges, gives a long press conference in Russia. His legal team launched a legal challenge to the events of 2014 ('who is to blame for the loss of Crimea', for the 'military coup', and for the killing of innocent protesters and police on Maidan). Continues to talk about wrongful interference of authorities in church affairs, and approaching elections.
5 Feb. Politico runs a story on Vladimir Zelenskiy who is leading some recent polls for the upcoming presidential elections.
- [Zelenskiy is] the star of the satirical TV show, “Servant of the People,” in which he plays a rural teacher who ends up getting elected president of Ukraine after an anti-corruption rant goes viral. [...] [Oligarch Ihor] Kolomoyskyi [...] owns 1+1, the popular TV channel that broadcasts Zelenskiy’s show and is rumored to be backing him
4 Feb. Ukrainian ATO participant, call sign 'Oleksa', calls for end of the conflict, resistance to provocations, peace with Russia; published on channel of Alexander Medinsky, who emigrated from Ukraine to Finland. Another ATO participant interviewed earlier, who is also for peace and says that one people in Russia and Ukraine.
3 Feb. DPR MOD claims that Ukrainian army is under instructions to support Poroshenko campaign (hard evidence not presented; response not seen). Ukrainian MoD confirms that 2 Ukrainian soldiers were wounded.
2 Feb. DPR MOD: in the past day, a DPR soldier is killed by Ukrainian shelling, 9 houses in Staromikhilovka are damaged. It is claimed that a western-trained Ukrainian RSG and two sniper pairs arrived to the front lines, possibly for use in provocations near Mariupol.
1 Feb. DPR ombudsman: in the past month, 4 DPR soldiers were killed, 7 people (4 soldiers and 3 civilian men) were wounded. 4733 people were killed according to ombudsman data from the start of the conflict.
28 Jan. OSCE special representative Martin Sajdik floats a new peace plan, where some things (specifically, the local elections) are run by UN and OSCE on the ground, including 'police and military components'. DPR FM states that it is 'categorically opposed' to the plan, as it does not follow Minsk agreements and does not give DPR enough say in the process.
Arrival of CBRN commission of the HQ of the Ukrainian armed forces grouping "North" to positions of 58 and 30 brigades deployed near Gorlovka causes renewed fears of a chemical provocation or attack
CONIFA announces draw results for 2019 European Football Cup of unrecognized states, including Donetsk, Lugansk, Abhazia, South Osettia, Nagornyi Karabach (12 teams in total).
21 Jan. British instructors started a training course for Ukrainian Navy in Odessa region as part of a British program "Orbital". That program, supposed to deliver 'defensive training' was 'expanded' in 2018 to include anti-armour, counter-sniping and mortar planning.
19 Jan. On the day of the (Christian Orthodox) celebration of Epiphany, Ukrainian forces fired 20 BMP-1 shells and 29 AGS grenades on the village of Zhabichevo, north of Donetsk, and Donetsk airport area. 19 ceasefire violations in the past day in total, 532 munitions fired by Ukraine, including mortars, grenade launchers, tank/BMP guns and large caliber firearms
18 Jan. DPR Ombudsman: in the past week, 2 soldiers were wounded. From the start of the year, 3 soldiers and 3 civilian men were wounded. In 2018, 162 people were killed, including 5 children, 310 were wounded. From the start of the conflict, 4729 people (4114 men, 615 women) were killed, including 81 children.
17 Jan. First contact group meeting of the year in Minsk.
13 Jan. DPR MoD: Ukrainian forces fired small firearms on Zaitsevo, near Gorlovka. Also reporteadly there was a firefight between two Ukrainian brigades, 79 and 80, caused by alcoholic intoxication; one soldier said to be killed.
It is said that an Orthodox church of UOC-Moscow Patriarchate in the village of Krasnovolia, Manevichsky district, Volyn region, Ukraine was seized by supporters of the new Ukrainian Orthodox church (subordinate to Constantinople patriarchate).
5 Jan. Patriarch Bartholomew signed Tomos (full text) on establishing autocephalous Orthodox Church of Ukraine (ПЦУ), subordinate to the Ecumenical Patriarch (lit. 'recognizes as its head the Holy Apostolic and Patriarchal Ecumenical Sea". Declares rights of the Ecumenical Throne to the "Exarchate in Ukraine and sacred Stavropygia").
2 Jan. It is reported that Ukraine is secretly preparing civil lawsuits on ending leases at the two main sites, Kiev-Pechersk Lavra and Kremenets-Pochayevsk Reserve, to Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Moscow Patriarchate.
Victor Kovalskii, 81, one of designers of 'Mria' aircraft, is beaten up in Kiev in a mistaken identity incident.
1 Jan. Attempted sabotage of a railway bridge in Donetsk reported, a pile was damaged but the bridge is still standing. Repair crews installed temporary supports.
25 Dec. Basurin: intelligence reports on arrival and unloading at Krasnogorovka railway station railcars filled with blue barrels with a potent chemical poisonous substance, chemical provocation feared (Rus.)(robo-Eng). OSCE: six BMP-1 at Krasnogorovka, SMM cameras not operational, repair work at Krasnogorovka gas distribution station. Other repairs nearby. Normally blue color in Russia, Ukraine is for oxygen, chlorine/phosgene are dirty-greenish; but in the report unloading done by military in protective suits. Updates: (1) Red Cross to arrive to Zaitsevo, gov-held; but DPR fears provocations against Red Cross. (2) Donetsk water filtering station lost power, weather blamed. (3) Russia extends economic sanctions on Ukraine
17 Dec. Shelling, quest for provocations continues. DPR MoD updates, Rus. 1, 2, robo-Eng 1, 2. Basurin: Ukrainian propaganda even named the exact start date of our offensive - Dec. 24-25, which is not surprising. Poroshenko's plans are absolutely transparent. He needs a reason to extend the martial law ending on Dec. 26 in Ukraine. And he is actively looking for it. It is possible that on Dec. 24-25, UAF themselves will attempt to attack.
- Updates. (1) Turchinov to BBC: we are preparing a new passage through the Kerch Strait, and invite OSCE and NATO observers. (2) Russian sources: OSCE restricted report, Dec 6: a small military group arrived to the port of Mariupol, to stay till the end of Dec, to meet several Ukr. Navy ships, to arrive from Odessa Dec. 24 (not in regular OSCE report) (3)MGB DPR: Ukraine has munitions made to look like DPR's "Snezhinka" MLRS; chemical provocation feared, bad foreign visitors of White Helmets ilk alleged. (4)22 Dec, Russian Embassy on UK warship visit to Odessa
15 Dec. Unification congress in Kiev.
10 Dec. Urgent, passionate, and very detailed new appeal by Basurin telling that there is Ukrainian plan of a provocation followed by an attack, aimed to be completed by scheduled for Dec 15 unification meeting of breakaway Ukrainian churches. Requires immediate and sustained attention. (Rus), (robo-eng), (humans' Eng.). Noted: text is pronounced in strong/determined/passionate/straight in the eye manner, unlike regular conferences.
- Updates. 1.DPR MoD: UAF mined several roads, possibly preparing a provocation targeting public transport. Several carts with chemical protective kits delivered to UAF-guarded location.
- 2.SBU accused the governor of the main Kiev-Pechersk Lavra of the preparation of 'pro-Russian provocations', interrogated him, prior to the approaching 'unification gathering' (Rus)/ (robo-Eng), (SBU-Ukr).
- (3) 00:10 14 Dec, UAF fired
520 mortar shells + AGS, RPG and large caliber machine guns on Shirokino and Sakhanka, 29 AGS shots a day earlier on Gnutovo.
- (4) Basurin: UAF formed first echelon for an offensive operation, stretching 50 km Vinogradnoe (Mariupol) to Staroignativka (Volnovkha). DPR forces are on high alert.
7 Dec. Regular DPR MOD update provides a detailed account of their available evidence of Ukrainian forces preparations for a provocation or warfare. We discuss similar material on talk page. While we cannot certify provided information, this release requires immediate attention and study. Full robo-translation +video linked.
6 Dec. Ukrainian Rada voted to terminate treaty of friendship with Russia (277 for, 20 against, 34 not voted, video), effective Apr.1, 2019, after a draft resolution was introduced by Poroshenko. The treaty included respect of territorial integrity, in particular.
5 Dec. Putin on reasons why he presently does not want to discuss recent crisis with Poroshenko: does not want to take part in his reelection campaign; Poroshenko 'skillfully creates crisis, then blames Russia, then demonstrates how he solves the crisis, pretending it's not him to blame' (video).
Presidential front-runner Yulia Timoshenko is in USA to present herself for photographing at the Atlantic Council meeting and with Kurt Volker (in addition to unworkable video presentations featuring herself over dramatic musical background).
3 Dec. Volunteer: Ukrainian tank company arrived to the port of Mariupol (report and photo).
2 Dec. DPR forces started intensive training to repel large scale attack by UAF
1 Dec. Basurin/DPR: according to DPR intelligence, UAF plans a large scale attack in December, evidenced by three elite brigades (79 airborne assault, 36 Marine and 128 mountain assault) deployed in Mariupol direction.
Bezsonov/DPR: Kiev deployed near Donetsk a paratroopers battalion trained in city warfare, + military equipment and ammunition.
Poroshenko: troops training and redeplyment will be conducted, in martial law regions, reservists and territorial defense will be called up for training, defense industry enterprises are switching to a special regime of operation -Ukrinform. Ukrainian MoD: starting from December 3, a series of large-scale events with reservists and soldiers will begin (Ukr)(Robo-Eng).
Noted: I rate chances of a major provocation or renewed fighting from now until the date of Ukrainian presidential elections as high. Everything needs to be done to prevent it. Otherwise, things may go into a negative spiral with dire global consequences and no good ways out. --Resup (talk) 15:13, 1 December 2018 (UTC)
Highlights from the past
Poroshenko announced end of ATO and start of 'joint operation of armed forces', which is aimed at 'defending territorial integrity' and will only end 'when the last piece of Ukrainian land is liberated, including Crimea', which is somehow supposed to happen by 'political-diplomatic means'.
- Family of 7 home hit by shelling in Donetsk, published 11 May 2017
- DPR Sakhanka: life goes on under shelling, 11 Oct. 2016
- 'Suburbia of life', about the effect of the war on life in small villages and towns. Shelling, destruction, economic hardship. Slow running, in Russian. Sept. 29, 2016.
More videos on talk page
- Recent history in a nutshell in those photos to the right:
- Aftermaths of Ukrainian shelling of the village Zheltoe (Yellow), LPR, 29 Nov. 2016 lug-info.
Note on sources. At present, pro -Ukrainian and pro-Russian sources more often than not offer opposing claims on events, and a choice needs to be made. Currently factual part of reporting by pro-Russian sources appear more accurate, complete, and closer to truth, out of the two available alternatives. It is also less known, as the other side has greater support by the Western mass media. For that reason, a lot of reporting here is based on Russian sources. It is not done for the sake of supporting any pre-determined narrative. If and when Ukrainian sources appear more accurate, they will be used without a reservation.
Some Ukrainian source reporting is very good, for example Tatyana Montyan numerous videos, some of them translated, are spot-on and at times appear closer to reality than any pro-this or that narratives. However the bulk of Ukrainian media is unreliable, and often just unbelievable, not passing cross checks (e.g. as was illustrated numerous times by well-read on both sides Ukrainian journalist Anatoly Sharii); or else, is filled with hate and may cheer more people harmed or killed (any of such sort, from any side, is totally unsupported here).
Official Ukrainian sources
- ATO press releases and maps
- Official website of Ukrainian president
- National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine
- Verhovna Rada
DPR and LPR
- DPR: DAN news (Eng).; DPR MOD, Russ.; DPR ombudsman, Russ.
- LPR: lug-info (Eng).
- Donbass international news agency, DoNi news (Eng.)
- 22.7.15 Under-100 mm weapons withdrawal was agreed Poroshenko statement: ' I hope it will be the real beginning of the ceasefire'.
- 12.2.15 Two documents were agreed: on measures on implementing Minsk protocol (English language PDF here).
Documenting Incidents, Human Rights violations
- Interactive map of human rights violations, human rights NCO organization 'Just Defense' based in Moscow in partnership with Ombudsman-DPR vkontakte (vk.com) Ombudsman-DPR -Daria Morozova (announcement video).
- Why They Are Killing Donbass? Novorossia TV with English subs. Blames consumerism, has very interesting cultural observations and quotations (incl late acad. Vladimir Arnold at 21:23 on educational reasons).
Gennady Korban (Kolomoiskii team) "ATO operation handling was a failure" ru.tsn.ua 'Korban made statements about corruption [...] and failed ATO handling' . Previously, criticized using heavy weapons in Donbass and suggested that at most police action is appropriate.
- '(...) Lies about Ukraine', -Boris Nemtsov, Leonid Martyniuk-blames Russian Government (based on inaccurate or later reversed statements made at the official level).
Blaming the USA
- Paul Craig Roberts ’ Address to the International Conference on the European/Russian Crisis Created by Washington', June 19, 2015. ...' Wolfowitz Doctrine...The gullibility of the public has enabled Washington to establish the foundation for a new Cold War...' ' "Washington doesn’t want partners. Washington wants vassals" ' 'European governments and, of course, the lapdog UK government, are complicit in this implicit declaration of war against Russia and China. If it comes to war, Europeans will pay the ultimate price for the treason of their leaders [...] as Europe will cease to exist'.
26.4.2016 'Maidan' activists protesting against city mayor Trukhanov, erecting light barricades at the city administration building, were dispersed by unknown activists armed with wooden sticks and pepper spray, several protesters were injured (photos, videos in the report).
With May 2 anniversary approaching, situation remain tense. Nationalists are making threats aimed at city administration. Regional governor Saakashvilli asked Poroshenko to deploy national guards to the city for the early days in May, explaining that those were tragic events which still resonate with many people, while those responsible were not brought to justice; and that he feels extra guards are really needed. It appeared that the request was granted, but than contradicting reports appeared.
15.1.2016 Maria Gaidar became assistant head of Odessa regional administration (Saakashvilli is the head)
6.1.2016 The subsistence minimum (this is known as poverty level in the West) per odessite in 2016 is as follows: from January 1 - 1330 hryvnia per month (that is 55 USD at this time) , from May 1 - 1399 hryvnia, from December 1 - 1496 hryvnia 1 TV, Odessa.
27.8 DPR all-for all prisoners exchange list includes 63 anti-maidan activists arrested or charged after May 2 events.
19.7 Saakasvilli clashed with Filatov, Kolomoiskii ally. Clash has to do with elections in Chernigov where another Kolomoiskii ally Korban is running. Saakashvilli is said to come to support opposing candidate Berezenko, his main opponent, but gave a different reason for the visit; that ended in verbal and almost physical clash with Filatov (video), and a court case threatened by Filatov.
17.7.2015 Maria Gaidar appointed vice-governor responsible for social policy. She is a daughter of late Yegor Gaidar (a reformer, acting prime minister of Russia in the second half of 1992). Indicated that her priority will be to show residents that regional authorities care about them. tAfter showing reluctance to persistent journalist questions on who Ukraine is fighting with, eventually provided] politically correct answer telling that Russia attacked Georgia and Ukraine (on her 4th attempt).
30.5.2015 Mikheil Saakashvili appointed governor of Odessa region. Poroshenko stated that knows Saakashvilli for a long time and trusts him. Control of Odessa port which may be used for military aid, Transnistria border, and creating positive image abroad, are seen as some of the reasons behind the appointment. Port control and other economic matters placed Saakashvilli on collision course with Kolomoiskii, whose ally was a previous Odessa governor.
Debaltsevo Damage to houses, big craters. It is said in the article that sometime UAF intentionally damaged houses by a direct fire.
- Donetsk Airport ~ Before and After, January 2015 . 3D model-sketchlab
- Luhansk Airport photos,-Graham Phillips and Cassad.
December 20, 2015: German freelance journalist Mark Batalmai, who has lived in Donetsk since mid-2014 and worked embedded with the opolchenie, releases his crowdfunded full-length documentary "Ukrainian Agony" in an English-language version (German-language original).
- 22.7.15 Under-100 mm weapons withdrawal was agreed Poroshenko statement: ' I hope it will be the real beginning of the ceasefire'.
- 12.2.15 Two documents were agreed: on measures on implementing Minsk protocol (English language PDF here).
Since now, December 23 2015, for the (n+1) time unconditional ceasefire is announced, although I do hope that one is the last, there is no warranty. So I'll just keep labels and dates for important but so far resurgent events here.
February 23 update: by the end of January, 2016, lots of shelling incidents are again reported daily. Once again, promises of ceasefire did not materialize.
- Unconditional Ceasefire in Donbas.
- 23.12.15 (starting 0:00, Dec 23, 2015, as announced-TASS
- Donetsk Airport, Donetsk suburbs shelled by Ukraine
- 13.2.16;9.2.16; 26.1.16(tank fire);25.1.16;21.1.16; 20.1.16;15.1.16; 13.1.16;31.12.15 (Staromikhailovka); 29.12; 28.12.15 (Zhabichevo); 27.12.15(Petrovskyi) ; 26.12.15(Spartak); 24.12.15 ; 13.12.15 (Dokuchaevsk) .
- (Every other day, up until now)
- Gorlovka, nearby villages shelled (Rusvesna updates-Gorlovka)
- 13.2.16;21.1.16; 11/12.1.16 (Engl).; 10.1.16 (1 DPR killed) 9.1.2016; 27.12.15; 24.12.15.
- (Similar to the above)
- Villages near Mariupol shelled by Ukraine
- 25.1.16 (artillery, from Mariupol);Kominternovo: 21.1.16;31.12.15 29.12.15 ; 24.12.15 + Basurin & OSCE came under sniper fire, 27.12
28.4.16 Detailed discussion of Nuland visit and Minsk progress by a Ukrainian source. Renewed push, with a deadline of having laws in place by the end of May, implementation by the end of summer is noted. IMF loan to Ukraine may be linked to Minsk implementation, as well as adoption of a packet of other required laws. However, so far Poroshenko tactics was to delay implementation hoping that time is on the side of Ukraine, and such an approach may last forever.
25.3.16 Foreign Minister Steinmeier in Moscow: "We need Russia to help resolve conflicts". Highlights insufficient progress implementing Minsk-2.
27.1.16 Constitutional amendments: Russia's position in Minsk talks:
- the vote on the Constitution of Ukraine should be tightly linked to the simultaneous adoption of the amendments to Articles 1 and 10 of the law on the special status of Donbass by giving special status of a permanent framework according to "Steinmeier formula";
- revision of the amendments to the law on the special status should be agreed in the contact group;
- A legal formula has to be found that guarantees that paragraph 18 of the transitional provisions of the Constitution will refer to the current wording of articles 2-9 of the law on the special status and to new, agreed by the contact group, wording of Articles 1 and 10;
- This formula should be fixed (закрепить (Rus) = lit. 'fix, make firm'; here 'used'/'entered') in the Constitution of Ukraine;
- it is also necessary to legislate in the Constitution of Ukraine, that the powers of those representatives elected in Donbass elections under a separate law will not be discontinued in 2017, as is envisaged in the constitutional reform for the rest of Ukraine
11.1. 2016 Boris Gryzlov visited Kiev. Next trilateral group meeting is on 13.1.2016 in Minsk.
Normandy four agreed to extend Minsk agreements into the year of 2016, TASS, Dec. 30, 2015
24.12.2015 Kuchma fools around trying to reinterpret Minsk agreements, demanding border control and in effect DPR/LPR disarmament prior to elections. This is not what was agreed (and could not possibly be agreed the way he tries to put it now, with Novorossia advancing militarily at the time of the agreement). Dirty games now, and so not surprisingly no progress...
18.11.2015 Ukraine did not show up for a contact group meeting where a law on special elections in Donbas was to be discussed. Previously, it was reported that sides could not reach an agreement. According to Pushilin, agenda included a ban for Ukrainian political parties to participate in local elections in Donbas, mechanism of participation for temporary displaced persons, and amnesty law.
15.3 Minsk 3 ? It is rumored that part of Ukrainian leadership is seeking a compromise and another Minsk meeting. Maybe an info release merely testing waters; but the essence of compromise is said to be a special mode to local government which covers the entire territory of the Lugansk and Donetsk regions (including those controlled by Ukraine), but these areas will be led by the people agreed as Kiev and Moscow, and the other members of the Minsk process (Germany and France). It is said that a similar proposal was made a year ago after a meeting involving Kuchma, Medvedchuk, and DPR, but Poroshenko refused to consider it and started the ATO instead. Ukrainian media claim that the plan is actually coming from "representatives of Moscow".
- Kremlin 'melancholically denied' (Cassad) re-interpretations/free interpretations of Minsk TASS
12.6.15 Poroshenko expects to submit de-centralization bill to Rada by the end of parliamentary session in July
- other constitutional changes proposed by the sides: see news entry for 9.6.15 above
10.6.15 Kuchma: Russia insists on including Novorosiia representatives into tripartite liaison group, Normandy format ; but his is not acceptable to us; they are included as consultants.
17-19.03 Russia called for a UNSC closed door meeting to discuss Ukraine breaking Minsk 2 agreements. Later Lavrov criticized the US position, and indicated further diplomatic moves and planned meetings in in Normandy format
16.03 Special status law requires elections based on laws of Ukraine prior to such special status. LPR/DPR were not consulted about this (although that is required in Minsk 2 agreements). With leaders of LPR/DPR and Soviets recently elected already, another elections will be problematic. There were no local elections though, may be local elections can be arranged in a way acceptable to both sides.
14.03 Poroshenko introduced special status law for Rada consideration -TASS quoting Rada site.
13.03 Zakharchenko and Plotniskii write to Hollande and Merkel about Ukraine not fulfilling its obligations: not following schedule on heavy weapons withdrawal; (most importantly) Rada has not started discussing special status for Donetsk, Lugansk regions--that work is supposed to finish by 14 March; continued economic blockade.
27.02 UNSC meeting on Ukraine started with OSCE report, highlighting state of affairs and challenges OSCE faces. Overall partial calming of warfare in the past several days noted. Neither side was willing to provide details of heavy weapons they posses, or their exact destination after proposed withdrawal. Technology (e.g. satellite), experts, and procedures need to be upgraded for OSCE to fulfill its required mission (video of OSCE presentation in Russian translation is here, other languages not found at this time)
- abc news report dailystar SBS
- Churkin gives a brief account of the UNSC closed door meeting TASS-English
19.02 Poroshenko has held a phone conversation in the Normandy format, told them "not to pretend that the events in Debaltseve meet the Minsk agreements". He has also urged to elaborate clear guarantees for the possible attempts of violating the given agreements in the future. (Debaltsevo situation was known in Minsk--indeed he should not be pretending).
18.02 Poroshenko plans to ask for UN peacekeepers
14.02 Russia introduced UN SC resolution approving Minsk agreements of February 12. So far, English speaking world, UK and USA, did not clearly expressed their positions, and it may give an indication. So far, it was along the lines that Russia has to deliver, and may be further sanctioned otherwise, while Ukraine has nothing to deliver, and will not be sanctioned for failures. Russian officials called for a change of such approach, taking a position that the conflict is internally Ukrainian and Russia is not a participant (example). While Russian media are making presentations indicating that it is the USA who is a participant, in Kiev overlord capacity (example).
12.02 Two documents were agreed:
- on measures on implementing Minsk protocol (English language PDF here). Ceasefire starting on February 15; separation of heavy weapons (from actual line for Ukraine, and from September 19 line for Novorossia; this enlarges separation), starting in 2 days from ceasefire, finishing in 14 days. All for all prisoners exchange, to finish in 5 days from separation begins. Time limits are given for all major steps. Return of border control to Ukraine is agreed to occur after local elections and constitutional reform (taking interests of breakaway regions into account)
- declaration of support of Ukrainian peace settlement. This includes support and control of implementation.
10.02 Contact Group agrees (a plan of) heavy troops withdrawal, ceasefire regime -TASS
- It may be the case that sides do not make binding obligations, but approve and support listed measures (language is a bit vague, if something is broken later, or sides do not agree whether later vague steps actually occurred, not clear exactly what will follow)
Still no direct contact between official Kiev and Novorossia. -(Mentioned by Putin in his press statement as one of the reasons negotiations took so long, had to go back and forth with Trilateral Group).
08.02 After telephone conference today, it is said that Normandy four to meet in Minsk on 11.02 if some positions will be resolved prior to that. Details of positions not explained. (Lukashenko talked to both Putin and Poroshenko about this and is happy and keen for them to come to Minsk)
06.02 Hollande-Merkel-Putin talks are finished in Moscow, it is said that a Normandy format document is being prepared based on meetings in Kiev and Moscow. Phone conference call in Normandy format expected on Sunday. (--Putin spokesman Peskov, TASS).) Putin off to Sochi, meets Lukashenko and rests; Hollande and Merkel also departing Moscow.
Plotniskii and Zakharchenko press conference -explains Republics position why it is not their fault that latest Minsk meeting did not succeed (English subs).
Victor Baloga, Governor of trans-Carpathian region of Ukraine, proposes a referendum on whether to continue war or separate from the rebel regions. Also, Gennady Korban, assistant Governor, Dnepropetrovsk, proposes to choose between war and an agreement.
8.7.15 Zakharchenko, at a a joint LPR/DPR press conference: "In 2015, 1212 people were killed, including 25 children under the age of 18 years ". During the conflict in 2014, 3864 DPR peeople died , including 522 women and 65 children. "That is more than 5000 of our people were killed just because they are residents of Donbass." (unclear is this civilian deaths or total deaths--probably total). More than 6,200 people, including women, children and the elderly were seriously injured and became disabled for life were . More than two thousand DPR inhabitants are missing.
14.8.15 From the start of hostilities, 5061 people were killed, among them 4295 men and 766 women, according to the Office of the Commissioner for Human Rights in DPR; and according to the Center for Emergency Medical Aid, 6100 were wounded Dan-news, 14.8.15. The figure is close to the one given by Zakharchenko in July (he had a higher number of 5076, so a small discrepancy here)
3.12.15 DPR ombudsman: during the conflict, almost 80 children were killed in Donbass, Rossiiskaia Gazeta, 3.12.2015. According to DPR ombudsman Yana Chepikova, uring the hostilities, 78 children were killed in DPR, 313 were injured, 35 of them seriously injured. In LPR, 30 children were killed according to data available.
19.02 Zakharchenko: Ukrainian losses in Debaltsevo cauldron may be up to 3 -3.5 thousand killed. There are plans to release or exchange those taken prisoners.
16.02 UAF: estimated 60 killed; NAF 2 killed, 21 wounded (source).
14.02 for the day and up to the ceasefire started: UAF lost 111 killed, NAF lost 8 killed, 28 wounded -Basurn
13.02 up to 100 UAF killed Basurin, DPR
12.02 Day + night, UAF lost 169 killed (links in the news section)
04.02.15 UAF losses: 21 killed
03.02.15 UAF losses estimated at 79 killed.
02.02.15 UAF losses estimated at 130 killed.
- Totals. In 29 days, up to ceasefire starting, 2760 UAF killed, 60 taken prisoners -Basurn
- In 22 days since fighting restarted, 2056 UAF killed (Basurin)
- 17 Jan.-3 Feb. UAF losses estimated at 1738 killed, 52 taken prisoners (Basurin, DPR).
According to the Head of the DNI, the year the war seriously injured for life became disabled more than 6,200 people, including women, children and the elderly. More than two thousand inhabitants DNI missing. 08.02 Many instances of shelling of Donetsk with MLRS (including Uragans), and artillery. One very powerful explosion (videos available) was reported as well. Later it was said that a chemical plant producing paints and dry mixes in Donetsk was hit by a heavy artillery shell (DPR did not confirm that it was ammunition plant); preliminary information is that nobody was killed in that explosion.
07.02 After ceasefire ended on 6.02, Ukraine attempted an attack on the whole front line; the attack was repelled. 6 civilians were killed, 15 wounded in Donetsk due to shelling by Ukraine from the North-West.
05.02. Shelling by Ukraine had 7 civilians killed, 44 wounded, most of them in Donetsk. Schools, hospitals, kindergartens hit. Ukraine is using Smerch MLRS; range is 80 km; a full salvo covers an area of 8 football fields.
22.01 Donetsk bus shelled at least 8 killed, 13 injured
- Residents react abusively to UAF 'cyborg' officer captured earlier at the Airport and brought to the scene
- Totals. Latest official UN figure: 224 civilians killed and 545 wounded in the three weeks leading up to 1 February. According to the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), the overall death toll now exceeds 5,358 people, with another 12,235 wounded since mid-April last year (Deaths here are likely certified, and mostly civilian).
In 6 months ending July 2015, 164 civilians were killed, including 16 children; 501 were wounded, including 42 are children DAN news, quoting city administration data,31 July 2015.
- Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, "Accountability for killings in Ukraine from January 2014 to May 2016" -report. Blames both sides, but Western media mostly highlightes alleged crimes by rebels. While large number of civilian shelling victims are reported as if it is not known who is predominantly to blame. Significant number of other cases are likely not fully investigated or included in the report.
- "Ukraine crisis: Impunity 'pervasive' in east, says UN" , BBC, 14 July 2016 (highlights one case in rebel controlled Luhansk, where some Cossacks were accused of a crime)
Military Hardware Lost
23.02 Zakharchenko: 'Poroshenko is our main ally'. In 5 days at Debaltsevo, 170 UAF tanks were captured or destroyed; most of them can be repaired. Also, 50 artillery pieces; they did not even count mortars. Ammunition, still move it out by railroad wagon-loads.
19.02 In Debaltsevo, opolchenie captured 265 pieces of UAF military equipment. 28 tanks, 63 BMP/BTR, 145 vehicles, 16 anti-aircraft guns, 13 artillery and mortar pieces were found in good condition and have been adopted by the DPR army. Also captured: about 1000 firearms, 39 ammunition storages and 2 railroad card with ammunition -Basurin
14.02 4 Grads launchers and ammunition seized by NAF near Debaltsevo -Basurn
02-03.02.15 UAF lost 5 tanks, 1 BMP, 11 artillery pieces, one plane (and/or one Tochka U)
- Totals: for 29 days, up to ceasefire: UAF lost 3 airplanes, 1 helicopter, 205 tanks, 182 BMP, BTR, MTLB, 208 field artillery guns, 124 vehicles -Basurn
- for 22 days since fighting restarted: UAF lost 3 planes, 1 helicopter, 168 tanks, 133 BMP/BTR, 124 artillery pieces, 94 vehicles
- 17 Jan.-3 Feb. UAF lost 3 planes, 1 helicopter, 146 tanks, 114 BMP/BTR, 91 artillery pieces, 64 vehicles
Banned Weapons Use
There were numerous reports on phosphorus bomb use, with consistent photo and video footage, witness reports, burns consistent with such weapons use, etc. Many articles on Rusvesna on this topic. One of them here, for example, contain a photo of an explosion, and video, allegedly of nationalist battalion fighters, based on colors/regalia, discussing and accepting that such munitions were used by Ukraine (dated 13.02.2015 ). There were numerous other such incidents. The latest phosphorous munition report is by DoNI press, , translated at Fort Russ, Apr. 24, 2016, from Zaitsevo.
02.02.15 Report on phosphorous ammunition used against civilians by Ukraine-burns can be seen.
More photos, sky alight in Marinka (Donetsk suburb), Aug. 1, 2014
04.02.15 UAF shelled Telmanovo from Mirnoe by Smerch MLRS, civilian houses destroyed
28.01.15 OSCE confirms (03.02.15 report) that cluster Smerch munitions were used against Artemivskyi district of Luhansk, shelling was from NNW. (Shelling done by Ukraine).
- Deutsche Wirtschafts Nachrichten: "The IMF has pumped billions in recent months into the Ukrainian financial system to stabilize the country's banks. Approximately $ 1.8 billion were going to the largest financial institution Private Bank, which is controlled by the oligarch Igor Kolomoiski. But instead of investing the money into the Ukrainian economy, Kolomoiski has managed to channel the emergency loans through a network of offshore companies abroad".  Ukrainian anti-corruption project "Our Money" ('Наші гроші' (ukr) = "Nashi Groshi") is quoted as offering an explanation of the scheme, involving a 'purchase' of foreign goods which were never delivered, using a credit from Private Bank, and the payment deposited to accounts in off-shore branches of the Privat Bank. 
- Ukrainian $18 bln debt (held in bonds) will receive a 20% 'haircut'. However, between 2021 and 2040 investors will receive up to 40 per cent of the value of Ukraine’s annual economic growth above 4 per cent, although total payments will be capped at 1 per cent for the first four years.   Ukrainian GDP is 177.4 billion USD (2013) -by google search. It went down quite a lot in 2014; but the IMF projection is 134 bln USD in 2020. One percent of that in growth is 1.3 bln; such amount may be paid to investors for 20 years bringing 26 bln USD. Write-off amount is about 3.6 bln USD. This wonderful deal is called a 'win-win' by Ukrainian finance minister and the Guardian . Franklin Templeton is one of the largest investors involved. Russia has 3 bln USD in Ukrainian debt and is not participating in the deal.(Vasili Muravitskii/Cassad brought up this matter).
- Opolchenie version of events. Rusvesna-news (rusvesna.su, Russian) , (rusvesna.su, English) , (rusnext.ru, Russian).
- Official Donetsk People Republic (DPR) news dan-news.info.
- Oplot TV-Donetsk Live now , youtube channel vk Oplot TV
- First Republican Channel-DPR youtube vk ('official channel of DPR', created in April 2014, and unofficially broadcasting some material online; possibly re-broadcasting Russia 24 in their vacant slots.
- Lugansk People Republic (LPR) news: LPR Sovet (legislature) site, news, luganskallnews.ru, news, lug-info.com
- OSCE SMM-Ukraine
- TASS Chronicle-link to daily updates, (Russian) , TASS - Ukraine (English) (easiest to search).
- Daily Press Briefings - US Department of State
- "Les masques de la revolution", Russian dubbed over French version, Feb. 1, 2016
- 'Times of Donbass' (Italian/Russian), Jan 12, 2016
- 13,3% would vote for the party "Block of Petro Poroshenko"
- 12,8% - for the All-Ukrainian Union "Fatherland" (Yulia Timosenko)
- 6,8% - for the party "Union Samopomich" (Sadovyi)
- 5,8% - for the Radical Party of Oleg Lyashko,
- 4,1% - for the party "Opposition block" (Boyko) --formerly 'Party of Regions'-Yanukovich
- 3,1% - for the party "Civil position"
- 3,0% - for the party "Right Sector"
- 3,2% - have crossed all the parties /spoiled bulletin
- 14,3% - chose not to vote,
- 23,5% - hard to choose,
- 2,6% - refusal
- Source: Socio-Political Situation In Ukraine: July 2015. Report also have opinions on various peace/Russia issues, by region (English).
- In DPR/LPR, polling is done by Center for Sociological Study 'Special Status' (Центр социологических исследований «Особый статус» -russ.) Here is their opening presentation. Poll results are published by news sources.
- DPR poll conducted in the beginning of August in 19 DPR towns, 5900 people took part, 5% statistical error
- 43 % for DPR to join the Russian Federation (33.8% 3 months ago)
- 17 % for DPR to be independent ('sovereign') (42.8 % 3 months ago)
- 18 % for the 'creation of a joint state' (unclear what that would be exactly- some sort of autonomy aligned with Russia)
- 11 % ('not more than') for DPR as a part of Ukraine. 14.9 % see some future with Ukraine following Minsk agreements (18.8 % 3 months ago)
DPR: Donetsk People Republic (prime minister: Alexander Zakharchenko)
LPR: Lugansk People Republic (head: Igor Plotniskii)
JCCC Joint Center for Control and Co-ordination, consists of Ukrainian and Russian military officers,- tries to mediate to have ceasefire implemented.
MLRS: Multiple Launch Rocket System, Grad/Uragan/Smerch. Uragan or Smerch typically have cluster munitions
UAF (=AFU): Ukrainian Armed Forces
NAF (=AFN): Opolchenie, Novorossia Armed Forces
OSCE: Organization for Security and Co‑operation in Europe
RSG: recon and subversion group
SMM: Special Monitoring Mission-OSCE===References===
Here comes a third pi
Very cool! Should be fun to work with, but no promises I'll figure it out just yet. --Caustic Logic 07:35, 4 October 2012 (EST)
Houla (May 25, 2012)
Daraya (August 25, 2012)
Tremseh (July 12, 2012)
Sari Saoud (November 26, 2011)
- Deutsche Wirtschafts Nachrichten, "Ukrainischer Oligarch bereichert sich an IWF-Krediten", 27.08.15
- RT (Russian), "DWN: Коломойский «оприходовал» транш МВФ и скрылся в Америке", 28.08.2015
- Financial Times, "Ukraine secures debt deal for war-ravaged economy", 27.8.2015
- Finance Ministry of Ukraine, Ukraine and the Ad Hoc Creditors' Committee agree on Indicative Heads of Terms for restructuring of sovereign and sovereign guaranteed Eurobonds, 27.8.2015
- The Guardian, Ukraine agrees 'win-win' debt restructuring deal, 27.8.2015