Edit me! --------------------->
Ukraine News in Container
16 Jan. DPR: Ukrainian shelling intensified, 1076 ceasefire violations reported in the past day, including heavy weapons.
According to Ukrainian data, in the past week 3 soldiers were killed in action, 3 by landmine explosion, and 17 soldiers were wounded in action.
15 Jan. Three years old child was wounded in Ukrainian mortar shelling of the settlement Dolomitnoe (map), near Svetlodarsk and Gorlovka. (While Ukraine reports heavy clashes in the Svetlodarsk arc area).
14 Jan. Repair teams restored power to Donetsk water treatment plant; JCCC coordinated ceasefire during repairs.
13 Jan. According to DPR ombudsman, from 24 Dec. 2016 to 13 Jan 2017, 21 DPR soldiers and 7 Ukrainian soldiers were killed, 32 people were wounded (28 of them are DPR soldiers; apparently a typo in the civilian number) .
10 Jan. LPR: Ukrainian RSG on a BMP vehicle attempted reconnaissance-in-force near Debaltsevo. But their BMP broke down and so LPR militia did not have to respond and violate ceasefire.
POW lists prepared by Nadezhda Savchenko are "strange" - timer-Odessa. Out of 50 allegedly requested by L/DPR odessians, only 31 are under arrest, and not all of them agree to be exchanged. In her list of 'Russians', Timer identified 11 citizens of Ukraine. Nefёdorov and Nikolenko in her list are apparently Russian citizens Mefёdov and Mikolenko accused on charges of plotting assassination of a Euromaidan activist. Some other names submitted officially are not in her list.
8 Jan. DPR 'ensured evacuation of a body' of a 14 years old girl killed on Jan.5 in a buffer zone between Krasnogorovka and Staromikhailovka (map). "UAF refused to evacuate the body, and DPR command had to appeal to Ukrainian volunteers'. 'By preliminary information, the girl died from the loss of blood' resulting from her wounds. According to DPR, on that day fire was coming from the Ukrainian side only. (DAN news).
DPR accused UAF, SBU of moving handcuffed civilians to the front line in the area of Marinka city, to blame DPR for their death. The report quotes intelligence intercepts. It does not offer proofs but could be released to try to prevent this from happening.
6 Jan. DPR: In the past week, Ukraine violated ceasefire 3,365 times, including 804 times from heavy weapons, artillery, tank and mortar fire. Six households were damaged in Zaitsevo, Trudovskiye and Sakhanka. (Engl.) (Rus. + map).
4 Jan. DPR: 1233 ceasefire violations by Ukraine in the past day, back again to pre-holiday levels.
3 Jan. DPR envoy Denis Pushilin blamed non-constructive position taken by Ukraine for the stalled Minsk talks. The Contact Group’s first consultations in 2017 are scheduled for 16 Jan.
1 Jan 2017. DPR: 357 ceasefire violations by Ukraine in the past day. In the south, shelling by Ukraine increased after US senators McCain, Graham and delegation visit. (Also, TV Zvezda: "Senator rubs his hands in the Donbass: Video")
31 Dec. DPR: 143,613 ceasefire violations by Ukraine in 2016; 78,223 by heavy weapons. 820 houses were damaged or destroyed. According to official Ukrainian data, 213 UAF soldiers were killed and 1324 wounded; DPR estimates the real number as 3 times higher.
LPR: latest announcement is that Ukraine shelled LPR 1369 times in 2016. Confusingly, earlier a higher number, 2047 was announced, apparently for the month of December. For the week of 18-24 Dec, the number of violations was given as 64, those are from heavy weapons. Eng. versions of the yearly report, lug-info, DNI news. Also, briefing videos (Rus.)
Ukrainian claims of shelling by NAF, by day and type, here. (Important to know who initiates those exchanges, but sides blame each other, while OSCE stands by and watch).
29 Dec. Yet another failed Ukrainian RSG break-through attempt near Krutaya Balka; it is said that three UAF soldiers were killed by a landmine explosion, 4 wounded, and others retreated. One body was recovered by opolchenie (shown on visuals), and will be handed over to Ukraine. Other bodies were not recovered as the area is in the line of fire.
Ukraine handed to L/DPR 15 prisoners, report with photos.
DPR: 473 ceasefire violations by Ukraine in the past day - despite extra ceasefire, with no expiration time, agreed from 24 Dec.
28 Dec. Dorgomilov court in Moscow found that change of power in Ukraine in 2014 was a state coup; the court decision stresses that US and EU support of anti-constitutional coup in Ukraine resulted in the divisions in the society and caused an armed conflict. Ukrainian ministry of justice representative Natalia Sevastianova rejected the findings, calling the court "a pocket court of Mr. Putin".
27 Dec. Ukraine shelled DPR 103 times in the past day. One DPR soldier was killed.
DPR released 2 female prisoners as a goodwill gesture, after a visit by Nadezhda Savchenko and Vladimir Ruban.
23 Dec. DPR ombudsman: from 3-23 Dec. 12 DPR soldiers and 4 civilians were killed; from 2-22 Dec, 40 soldiers and 3 civilians were wounded. (Deaths are due to Ukrainian fire, except 1 civilian killed by landmine).
Ukrainian media brags about capturing settlement of Novoluganskoe, near Debaltsevo (map), quoting commander of voluntary punishers battalion "Donbass". Russian sources note that this settlement is in the grey area and under de-facto Ukrainian control for the last 3 years; shown as Ukrainian on the map here. In any case, Ukraine is not supposed to be capturing settlements, by the Minsk agreements and an extra-ceasefire on top announced for the holidays.
Yet another mini-Maidan in Kiev, some clashes on a market near metro station Kharkovskaya (area map). Small shop owners and staff are trying to prevent shops coming down amid plans for a new residential construction in the area. Barricades were set, then stormed by camouflaged men (report, photos, videos).
In Russia, PM Medvedev suspended for 30 days sales of non-consumer over-25%-alcohol containing liquids, except perfumes and those for glass cleaning (TASS).
18-21 Dec, Russian sources on Debaltsevo battle. UAF attacked and captured several hills (Kikimora, Cross, Star). Attack was poorly prepared, and about 10 soldiers were killed in the attack and on the minefields. Opolchenie artillery opened fire on the captured hills, and more Ukrainian soldiers were killed. By 21 Dec. opolchenie took back Kikimora, and Ukrainian soldiers left two other hills. Ukrainian losses are said to be from 20 to 100 killed, with several bodies shown on photographs; official number is 5 killed. Updated LPR losses: 4 killed, 5 wounded.
A video shows volunteers evacuating wounded Ukrainian soldiers on personal autos, and providing highly critical commentary.
19 Dec. Ukraine continues break-through attempts near Debaltsevo -reports.
18 Dec. DAN news: UAF attempted to break through LPR positions in Kalinovka (map), Debaltsevo area. UAF suffered heavy casualties, estimated to be at least 10 killed and 20 wounded. LPR has 2 soldiers wounded and 2 missing in action. Ukrainian side numbers are 5 UAF killed, 6 wounded.
DPR ombudsman: Kiev has released three war prisoners, on Dec. 18. One of the prisoners, a Russian citizen Vladislav Kondalov, who served in a Cossack unit of LPR militia, told that he was tortured while in Ukrainian captivity (DAN news).
17 Dec. DAN News got an updated look and an English language version.
Ombudsman: 314 killed (303 men and 11 women), 406 wounded in DPR since the start of 2016.
The U.S. Justice Department has cut ties with a fugitive Ukrainian MP Oleksandr Onyshchenko who said he had turned over damning evidence proving the corruption of Ukraine’s president, a spokesman told RFE/RL
16 Dec. DPR: 9041 ceasefire violations by Ukraine in the past week. DPR report contains a map with photos of buildings damaged as a result, and names UAF commanders allegedly responsible in Gorlovka, Donetsk, and Mariupol areas. Basurin demonstrates shot down Ukrainian armed drone, says that it could have caused a tragedy.
The U.S. Justice Department has cut ties with a fugitive Ukrainian MP Oleksandr Onyshchenko who said he had turned over damning evidence proving the corruption of Ukraine’s president, a spokesman told RFE/RL
15 Dec. DPR: 1243 ceasefire violations by DPR in the past day.
Yanukovich testifies (video feed)in Dorgomilovskiy district court, Moscow, in a case 'on recognizing events in Ukraine, February 2014, as a state coup', brought by Ukrainian ex-MP Vladimir Oleynik, of anti-protest laws fame. Tells that he was illegally removed from power; that snipers were firing from buildings controlled by Maidan, in particular. Legal justification used to consider this case in Russia: suspected war crimes. According to Oleynik, it is illegal to use army, call for mobilization, use heavy military equipment, in an "Anti-Terrorist Operation (ATO)"; that can be only used in case of a war.
"European Parliament votes for canceling visa regime for Ukraine, Georgia", according to TASS. Visa-free regime (under 3 months stay in any 6 month period, with no right to work) still needs approval by EU council. Decision was delayed earlier, to put in place a mechanism of stopping visa-free regime; but such mechanism was agreed a week ago.
Nadezhda Savchenko, now Ukrainian MP, announced (Rus.) (Ukr.) an agreement with L/DPR leaders on POW exchange, 226 prisoners held by Ukraine for 52 held by the republics. This number of prisoners is confirmed to be alive, according to her. (But it is unclear does she has the actual authority to make this happen -and also, what if there are some POWs out there who did not make it to her list).
- Savchenko was booted from 'Batkovshina' (Yulia Timoshenko) parliamentary faction in Rada, as the faction is against any negotiations with Donbass republics leaders, call them terrorists; while Savchenko stated that such position of the state is undefined and unproven. According to Savchenko sister, Nadezhda submitted a written declaration on leaving 'Batkovshina' party back on October 26 -segodnya.ua.
14 Dec. According to Gorlovka major Ivan Prihodko, in an incident at Ukrainian-manned Mayorski checkpoint one civilian passenger of a bus was killed, another wounded, and an elderly woman died of hear attack. Prihodko stressed that this checkpoint is over 1 km from DPR positions and there is no way fire was coming from their side (as claimed by Ukraine). According to Prihodko there was some verbal altercation between passengers and guards, and one Ukrainian soldier started to fire from a Kalashnikov.
Crimean gold must go back to Ukraine, says Dutch court -BBC. Director of the Museum-Reserve "Chersonese" in Crimea Svetlana Melnikova: I am shocked. RIA, after going through storage/court expenses Ukraine will have to pay: 'Crimean museums will appeal the decision'.
12 Dec. DPR initiated a contact group meeting via videoconferencing and proposed to develop and implement mechanisms preventing shelling in the future; however Ukraine refused.
According to DPR ombudsman Darya Morozova, she is receiving information from prisoners held by Ukraine and their relatives that SBU forces them to sign paperwork declining their exchange under Minsk prisoners exchange agreements.
9 Dec. DPR: 10,603 ceasefire violations by Ukraine in the past week.
8 Dec. DPR soldier wounded on Dec 6 died in a hospital.
7 Dec. Very high number of ceasefire violations by Ukraine, 2453, were reported for the past day. Shelling caused fire at Avdeevka coal coke plant.
6 Dec. Zakharchenko: Kiev has recently chosen the new policy of not implementing the Minsk agreements. Over and over, the Ukrainian politicians state that the first-stage issues of settling the situation in Donbass are the humanitarian and economic questions. Imitating care of Donbass’s residents, Ukraine just does not want to solve the political and military issues of the agreements... But for Minsk process to move ahead, political issues have to be solved first. Solving humanitarian and economic issues should be preceded by the lifting of the economic blockade, the amnesty for all parties to the conflict and political prisoners (as otherwise it will be just impossible).
DPR ombudsman interviews an elderly man who received a shrapnel lung wound in Ukrainian shelling on 6 Nov 2014; fragments still not removed. His house was damaged.
Long Zakharchenko interview by Zakhar Prilepin appeared on video (interview was done sometime before the US elections) (German written translation). Zakharchenko: Minsk process 'is like a patient who is more dead than alive'; proposes that DPR and LPR included in the Normandy format, to become 2+3. Shelling by Ukraine and warfare does not stop on the ground. As for full implementation of Minsk, L/DPR positions has to be taken into account, and those would be, restoration of their control on territory of former Donetsk and Lugansk oblast, and reconstruction of Donbass. He does not believe it that this is realistic, at least under the present Ukrainian government. Tells that the population of the republics is strongly aligned with Russia mentally, and hypothetical return of control to Ukraine means, as he say, many millions of refugees going to Russia, and death for those who oppose Ukrainian takeover. For that reason they cannot relinquish control of the border to Ukraine, in particular. With neither of those scenarios-L/DPR positions fully met or Ukraine regaining control- too realistic, describes the current situation as being in a swamp, neither drowning nor letting go.
3 Dec. DPR: number of ceasefire violations by Ukraine continue to increase, 1205 violations reported in the past day.
Flash-mobs in Ukraine, Russia, and DPR-people singing popular Soviet-era songs at railway stations - Zaporozhie (a song from a popular 1950's movie, 15 Nov), Kharkov (a song from a popular 1961 movie, 20 Nov), Odessa (Smuglianka-Moldovanka song, around 27 Nov.), Dnepropetrovsk ("Katyusha" song, around 30 Nov.), Kiev (anti-war/children song "Let there always be Sun", 2 Dec); LPR- Stanitsa Luganskaya (Soviet classic, Donbas-set 1939 movie song , 1 Dec.), Donetsk (a a WW2-themed song, around 3 Dec), Lugansk ('Where does Fatherland starts', from 1961 "Shield and Sword" movie, live singing meshed with Mark Bernes classic, lyrics is by a Lugansk native, -around 3 Dec.); Mariupol ("I love you, life!, a popular 1956 Soviet song; -around 3 Dec ), Nikolaev in Southern Ukraine (Soviet-era Anna German classic "Hope", 3 Dec.); Oleksandriia, Kirovohrad region, central Ukraine -1968 war themed Mark Bernes classic 'Cranes' (video) (text)
- in Moscow, Ukrainian folk song (27 Nov). In Lipetsk, Russia -proper another popular folksy-disco Ukrainian song from 1968, Chervona Ruta, (1 Dec).
- Crimea joined in: in Alushta, 1982 pop hit "We wish you happiness" (video)(text). In Yevpatoria, 1936 movie song classic "Vast is my dear Country" (video) (text).
- Melodic separatist Ukrainian song in Lviv, of unknown origin, about a tram taking them somewhere... And for comparison, from the national Ukrainian song final, 'Sky above the Dnepr', Vakarchuk-Musienko (video)(text), of the sort, there are Rhine and Daube and great Volga, but for me the Dnieper river is everything; kind of national pride and (implicitly) nation-unifying.
- In 2015, Vakarchuk and "Okean Elzy" (Ocean of Elza) had a big hit anti-war song "Not Your War" (discussed earlier). Recently a new documentary-based video rendition of the hit appeared.
2 Dec. DPR ombudsman: 6 DPR soldiers were killed in the past week. 6 people were wounded, 2 soldiers, and 4 civilians (3 men, 1 woman).
Ukrainian ATO Nurses-Kharkiv report that MANY wounded arrived from ATO zone, but they are no longer able to provide exact figures. They report that they are in need of many basic personal items. Previously this site reported numbers of wounded at times possibly surpassing the total official count. Their latest numbers for just that Khrakiv hospital(s) admissions from the ATO zone: 25.11.2016 - 12 people, 26.11 - 13 people, 27.11 - 3 people, 28.11 - 26 people (including 6 'trauma', 1 'wounded', and the rest 'diseases, contusions, psychiatry'). Official ATO zone report for 25.11 - one killed (number of wounded not given), 27.11-3 soldiers and one civilian wounded, 28.11- 6 wounded, On 29.11, 5 wounded.
Weekly updates from the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission, by Alexander Hug (video, Engl.), given at UCMC, 'Ukrainian crisis management center'. (Sounds serious, notes increased shelling numbers, continued civilian casualties, difficult humanitarian situation -- yet not offers much in terms of a solution...)
RQ-4B Global Hawk over Donbas, pro-Ukrainian blogger Zloy (Angry)-Odessit report, with maps.
1 Dec. Ukraine stopped water supply to LPR, from one of the two water supply pipes from Petrovskoe. Approximately half of Lugansk city was supplied from that source. According to Vladislav Deinego, it will cause serious interruptions of water supply but 'situation is under control'. Denying water is akin to starvation and is a war crime, (explicitly banned in 54.2 of the additional protocol, Geneva conventions). Ukraine blamed it on nonpayment of electricity bills and Red Cross stopping paying for water supplies.
Ukrainian provocative missile launches today were outside area claimed by Russia -report, maps and photos. It is believed that Russia took steps to defend the airspace.
Bags full of bank notes and a plot to bring down a prime minister: Politician makes claims of vast corruption in Ukraine - Independent. Onisheko claims that he passed on incriminating information to American special services, before fleeing to UK. He is himself accused of using a scheme to defraud the state from his natural gas business, but blames the goverment figures for orchestrating this too. His interview to Russian TV, and to Ukrainian public TV -video; a text version (strana.ua)
- Update, 6 Dec. First set of audio recordings made by Onishenko is published by strana.ua, with Dovgovyi, who was sent to Onishenko to try to negotiate a deal (audio and brief text with a summary of details).
DPR Sakhanka: life goes on under shelling, 11 Oct. 2016
'Suburbia of life', about the effect of the war on life in small villages and towns. Shelling, destruction, economic hardship. Slow running, in Russian. Sept. 29, 2016.
More videos on talk page
Aftermaths of Ukrainian shelling of the village Zheltoe (Yellow), LPR, 29 Nov. 2016 lug-info.
Note on sources. At present, pro -Ukrainian and pro-Russian sources more often than not offer opposing claims on events, and a choice needs to be made. Currently factual part of reporting by pro-Russian sources appear more accurate, complete, and closer to truth, out of the two available alternatives. It is also less known, as the other side has greater support by the Western mass media. For that reason, a lot of reporting here is based on Russian sources. It is not done for the sake of supporting any pre-determined narrative. If and when Ukrainian sources appear more accurate, they will be used without a reservation.
Some Ukrainian source reporting is very good, for example Tatyana Montyan numerous videos, some of them translated, are spot-on and at times appear closer to reality than any pro-this or that narratives. However the bulk of Ukrainian media is unreliable, and often just unbelievable, not passing cross checks (e.g. as was illustrated numerous times by well-read on both sides Ukrainian journalist Anatoly Sharii); or else, is filled with hate and may cheer more people harmed or killed (any of such sort, from any side, is totally unsupported here).
Official Ukrainian sources
- ATO press releases and maps
- Official website of Ukrainian president
- National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine
- Verhovna Rada
DPR and LPR
- 22.7.15 Under-100 mm weapons withdrawal was agreed Poroshenko statement: ' I hope it will be the real beginning of the ceasefire'.
- 12.2.15 Two documents were agreed: on measures on implementing Minsk protocol (English language PDF here).
Documenting Incidents, Human Rights violations
- Interactive map of human rights violations, human rights NCO organization 'Just Defense' based in Moscow in partnership with Ombudsman-DPR vkontakte (vk.com) Ombudsman-DPR -Daria Morozova (announcement video).
- Why They Are Killing Donbass? Novorossia TV with English subs. Blames consumerism, has very interesting cultural observations and quotations (incl late acad. Vladimir Arnold at 21:23 on educational reasons).
Gennady Korban (Kolomoiskii team) "ATO operation handling was a failure" ru.tsn.ua 'Korban made statements about corruption [...] and failed ATO handling' . Previously, criticized using heavy weapons in Donbass and suggested that at most police action is appropriate.
- '(...) Lies about Ukraine', -Boris Nemtsov, Leonid Martyniuk-blames Russian Government (based on inaccurate or later reversed statements made at the official level).
Blaming the USA
- Paul Craig Roberts ’ Address to the International Conference on the European/Russian Crisis Created by Washington', June 19, 2015. ...' Wolfowitz Doctrine...The gullibility of the public has enabled Washington to establish the foundation for a new Cold War...' ' "Washington doesn’t want partners. Washington wants vassals" ' 'European governments and, of course, the lapdog UK government, are complicit in this implicit declaration of war against Russia and China. If it comes to war, Europeans will pay the ultimate price for the treason of their leaders [...] as Europe will cease to exist'.
26.4.2016 'Maidan' activists protesting against city mayor Trukhanov, erecting light barricades at the city administration building, were dispersed by unknown activists armed with wooden sticks and pepper spray, several protesters were injured (photos, videos in the report).
With May 2 anniversary approaching, situation remain tense. Nationalists are making threats aimed at city administration. Regional governor Saakashvilli asked Poroshenko to deploy national guards to the city for the early days in May, explaining that those were tragic events which still resonate with many people, while those responsible were not brought to justice; and that he feels extra guards are really needed. It appeared that the request was granted, but than contradicting reports appeared.
15.1.2016 Maria Gaidar became assistant head of Odessa regional administration (Saakashvilli is the head)
6.1.2016 The subsistence minimum (this is known as poverty level in the West) per odessite in 2016 is as follows: from January 1 - 1330 hryvnia per month (that is 55 USD at this time) , from May 1 - 1399 hryvnia, from December 1 - 1496 hryvnia 1 TV, Odessa.
27.8 DPR all-for all prisoners exchange list includes 63 anti-maidan activists arrested or charged after May 2 events.
19.7 Saakasvilli clashed with Filatov, Kolomoiskii ally. Clash has to do with elections in Chernigov where another Kolomoiskii ally Korban is running. Saakashvilli is said to come to support opposing candidate Berezenko, his main opponent, but gave a different reason for the visit; that ended in verbal and almost physical clash with Filatov (video), and a court case threatened by Filatov.
17.7.2015 Maria Gaidar appointed vice-governor responsible for social policy. She is a daughter of late Yegor Gaidar (a reformer, acting prime minister of Russia in the second half of 1992). Indicated that her priority will be to show residents that regional authorities care about them. tAfter showing reluctance to persistent journalist questions on who Ukraine is fighting with, eventually provided] politically correct answer telling that Russia attacked Georgia and Ukraine (on her 4th attempt).
30.5.2015 Mikheil Saakashvili appointed governor of Odessa region. Poroshenko stated that knows Saakashvilli for a long time and trusts him. Control of Odessa port which may be used for military aid, Transnistria border, and creating positive image abroad, are seen as some of the reasons behind the appointment. Port control and other economic matters placed Saakashvilli on collision course with Kolomoiskii, whose ally was a previous Odessa governor.
Debaltsevo Damage to houses, big craters. It is said in the article that sometime UAF intentionally damaged houses by a direct fire.
- Donetsk Airport ~ Before and After, January 2015 . 3D model-sketchlab
- Luhansk Airport photos,-Graham Phillips and Cassad.
December 20, 2015: German freelance journalist Mark Batalmai, who has lived in Donetsk since mid-2014 and worked embedded with the opolchenie, releases his crowdfunded full-length documentary "Ukrainian Agony" in an English-language version (German-language original).
- 22.7.15 Under-100 mm weapons withdrawal was agreed Poroshenko statement: ' I hope it will be the real beginning of the ceasefire'.
- 12.2.15 Two documents were agreed: on measures on implementing Minsk protocol (English language PDF here).
Since now, December 23 2015, for the (n+1) time unconditional ceasefire is announced, although I do hope that one is the last, there is no warranty. So I'll just keep labels and dates for important but so far resurgent events here.
February 23 update: by the end of January, 2016, lots of shelling incidents are again reported daily. Once again, promises of ceasefire did not materialize.
- Unconditional Ceasefire in Donbas.
- 23.12.15 (starting 0:00, Dec 23, 2015, as announced-TASS
- Donetsk Airport, Donetsk suburbs shelled by Ukraine
- 13.2.16;9.2.16; 26.1.16(tank fire);25.1.16;21.1.16; 20.1.16;15.1.16; 13.1.16;31.12.15 (Staromikhailovka); 29.12; 28.12.15 (Zhabichevo); 27.12.15(Petrovskyi) ; 26.12.15(Spartak); 24.12.15 ; 13.12.15 (Dokuchaevsk) .
- (Every other day, up until now)
- Gorlovka, nearby villages shelled (Rusvesna updates-Gorlovka)
- 13.2.16;21.1.16; 11/12.1.16 (Engl).; 10.1.16 (1 DPR killed) 9.1.2016; 27.12.15; 24.12.15.
- (Similar to the above)
- Villages near Mariupol shelled by Ukraine
- 25.1.16 (artillery, from Mariupol);Kominternovo: 21.1.16;31.12.15 29.12.15 ; 24.12.15 + Basurin & OSCE came under sniper fire, 27.12
28.4.16 Detailed discussion of Nuland visit and Minsk progress by a Ukrainian source. Renewed push, with a deadline of having laws in place by the end of May, implementation by the end of summer is noted. IMF loan to Ukraine may be linked to Minsk implementation, as well as adoption of a packet of other required laws. However, so far Poroshenko tactics was to delay implementation hoping that time is on the side of Ukraine, and such an approach may last forever.
25.3.16 Foreign Minister Steinmeier in Moscow: "We need Russia to help resolve conflicts". Highlights insufficient progress implementing Minsk-2.
27.1.16 Constitutional amendments: Russia's position in Minsk talks:
- the vote on the Constitution of Ukraine should be tightly linked to the simultaneous adoption of the amendments to Articles 1 and 10 of the law on the special status of Donbass by giving special status of a permanent framework according to "Steinmeier formula";
- revision of the amendments to the law on the special status should be agreed in the contact group;
- A legal formula has to be found that guarantees that paragraph 18 of the transitional provisions of the Constitution will refer to the current wording of articles 2-9 of the law on the special status and to new, agreed by the contact group, wording of Articles 1 and 10;
- This formula should be fixed (закрепить (Rus) = lit. 'fix, make firm'; here 'used'/'entered') in the Constitution of Ukraine;
- it is also necessary to legislate in the Constitution of Ukraine, that the powers of those representatives elected in Donbass elections under a separate law will not be discontinued in 2017, as is envisaged in the constitutional reform for the rest of Ukraine
11.1. 2016 Boris Gryzlov visited Kiev. Next trilateral group meeting is on 13.1.2016 in Minsk.
Normandy four agreed to extend Minsk agreements into the year of 2016, TASS, Dec. 30, 2015
24.12.2015 Kuchma fools around trying to reinterpret Minsk agreements, demanding border control and in effect DPR/LPR disarmament prior to elections. This is not what was agreed (and could not possibly be agreed the way he tries to put it now, with Novorossia advancing militarily at the time of the agreement). Dirty games now, and so not surprisingly no progress...
18.11.2015 Ukraine did not show up for a contact group meeting where a law on special elections in Donbas was to be discussed. Previously, it was reported that sides could not reach an agreement. According to Pushilin, agenda included a ban for Ukrainian political parties to participate in local elections in Donbas, mechanism of participation for temporary displaced persons, and amnesty law.
15.3 Minsk 3 ? It is rumored that part of Ukrainian leadership is seeking a compromise and another Minsk meeting. Maybe an info release merely testing waters; but the essence of compromise is said to be a special mode to local government which covers the entire territory of the Lugansk and Donetsk regions (including those controlled by Ukraine), but these areas will be led by the people agreed as Kiev and Moscow, and the other members of the Minsk process (Germany and France). It is said that a similar proposal was made a year ago after a meeting involving Kuchma, Medvedchuk, and DPR, but Poroshenko refused to consider it and started the ATO instead. Ukrainian media claim that the plan is actually coming from "representatives of Moscow".
- Kremlin 'melancholically denied' (Cassad) re-interpretations/free interpretations of Minsk TASS
12.6.15 Poroshenko expects to submit de-centralization bill to Rada by the end of parliamentary session in July
- other constitutional changes proposed by the sides: see news entry for 9.6.15 above
10.6.15 Kuchma: Russia insists on including Novorosiia representatives into tripartite liaison group, Normandy format ; but his is not acceptable to us; they are included as consultants.
17-19.03 Russia called for a UNSC closed door meeting to discuss Ukraine breaking Minsk 2 agreements. Later Lavrov criticized the US position, and indicated further diplomatic moves and planned meetings in in Normandy format
16.03 Special status law requires elections based on laws of Ukraine prior to such special status. LPR/DPR were not consulted about this (although that is required in Minsk 2 agreements). With leaders of LPR/DPR and Soviets recently elected already, another elections will be problematic. There were no local elections though, may be local elections can be arranged in a way acceptable to both sides.
14.03 Poroshenko introduced special status law for Rada consideration -TASS quoting Rada site.
13.03 Zakharchenko and Plotniskii write to Hollande and Merkel about Ukraine not fulfilling its obligations: not following schedule on heavy weapons withdrawal; (most importantly) Rada has not started discussing special status for Donetsk, Lugansk regions--that work is supposed to finish by 14 March; continued economic blockade.
27.02 UNSC meeting on Ukraine started with OSCE report, highlighting state of affairs and challenges OSCE faces. Overall partial calming of warfare in the past several days noted. Neither side was willing to provide details of heavy weapons they posses, or their exact destination after proposed withdrawal. Technology (e.g. satellite), experts, and procedures need to be upgraded for OSCE to fulfill its required mission (video of OSCE presentation in Russian translation is here, other languages not found at this time)
- abc news report dailystar SBS
- Churkin gives a brief account of the UNSC closed door meeting TASS-English
19.02 Poroshenko has held a phone conversation in the Normandy format, told them "not to pretend that the events in Debaltseve meet the Minsk agreements". He has also urged to elaborate clear guarantees for the possible attempts of violating the given agreements in the future. (Debaltsevo situation was known in Minsk--indeed he should not be pretending).
18.02 Poroshenko plans to ask for UN peacekeepers
14.02 Russia introduced UN SC resolution approving Minsk agreements of February 12. So far, English speaking world, UK and USA, did not clearly expressed their positions, and it may give an indication. So far, it was along the lines that Russia has to deliver, and may be further sanctioned otherwise, while Ukraine has nothing to deliver, and will not be sanctioned for failures. Russian officials called for a change of such approach, taking a position that the conflict is internally Ukrainian and Russia is not a participant (example). While Russian media are making presentations indicating that it is the USA who is a participant, in Kiev overlord capacity (example).
12.02 Two documents were agreed:
- on measures on implementing Minsk protocol (English language PDF here). Ceasefire starting on February 15; separation of heavy weapons (from actual line for Ukraine, and from September 19 line for Novorossia; this enlarges separation), starting in 2 days from ceasefire, finishing in 14 days. All for all prisoners exchange, to finish in 5 days from separation begins. Time limits are given for all major steps. Return of border control to Ukraine is agreed to occur after local elections and constitutional reform (taking interests of breakaway regions into account)
- declaration of support of Ukrainian peace settlement. This includes support and control of implementation.
10.02 Contact Group agrees (a plan of) heavy troops withdrawal, ceasefire regime -TASS
- It may be the case that sides do not make binding obligations, but approve and support listed measures (language is a bit vague, if something is broken later, or sides do not agree whether later vague steps actually occurred, not clear exactly what will follow)
Still no direct contact between official Kiev and Novorossia. -(Mentioned by Putin in his press statement as one of the reasons negotiations took so long, had to go back and forth with Trilateral Group).
08.02 After telephone conference today, it is said that Normandy four to meet in Minsk on 11.02 if some positions will be resolved prior to that. Details of positions not explained. (Lukashenko talked to both Putin and Poroshenko about this and is happy and keen for them to come to Minsk)
06.02 Hollande-Merkel-Putin talks are finished in Moscow, it is said that a Normandy format document is being prepared based on meetings in Kiev and Moscow. Phone conference call in Normandy format expected on Sunday. (--Putin spokesman Peskov, TASS).) Putin off to Sochi, meets Lukashenko and rests; Hollande and Merkel also departing Moscow.
Plotniskii and Zakharchenko press conference -explains Republics position why it is not their fault that latest Minsk meeting did not succeed (English subs).
Victor Baloga, Governor of trans-Carpathian region of Ukraine, proposes a referendum on whether to continue war or separate from the rebel regions. Also, Gennady Korban, assistant Governor, Dnepropetrovsk, proposes to choose between war and an agreement.
8.7.15 Zakharchenko, at a a joint LPR/DPR press conference: "In 2015, 1212 people were killed, including 25 children under the age of 18 years ". During the conflict in 2014, 3864 DPR peeople died , including 522 women and 65 children. "That is more than 5000 of our people were killed just because they are residents of Donbass." (unclear is this civilian deaths or total deaths--probably total). More than 6,200 people, including women, children and the elderly were seriously injured and became disabled for life were . More than two thousand DPR inhabitants are missing.
14.8.15 From the start of hostilities, 5061 people were killed, among them 4295 men and 766 women, according to the Office of the Commissioner for Human Rights in DPR; and according to the Center for Emergency Medical Aid, 6100 were wounded Dan-news, 14.8.15. The figure is close to the one given by Zakharchenko in July (he had a higher number of 5076, so a small discrepancy here)
3.12.15 DPR ombudsman: during the conflict, almost 80 children were killed in Donbass, Rossiiskaia Gazeta, 3.12.2015. According to DPR ombudsman Yana Chepikova, uring the hostilities, 78 children were killed in DPR, 313 were injured, 35 of them seriously injured. In LPR, 30 children were killed according to data available.
19.02 Zakharchenko: Ukrainian losses in Debaltsevo cauldron may be up to 3 -3.5 thousand killed. There are plans to release or exchange those taken prisoners.
16.02 UAF: estimated 60 killed; NAF 2 killed, 21 wounded (source).
14.02 for the day and up to the ceasefire started: UAF lost 111 killed, NAF lost 8 killed, 28 wounded -Basurn
13.02 up to 100 UAF killed Basurin, DPR
12.02 Day + night, UAF lost 169 killed (links in the news section)
04.02.15 UAF losses: 21 killed
03.02.15 UAF losses estimated at 79 killed.
02.02.15 UAF losses estimated at 130 killed.
- Totals. In 29 days, up to ceasefire starting, 2760 UAF killed, 60 taken prisoners -Basurn
- In 22 days since fighting restarted, 2056 UAF killed (Basurin)
- 17 Jan.-3 Feb. UAF losses estimated at 1738 killed, 52 taken prisoners (Basurin, DPR).
According to the Head of the DNI, the year the war seriously injured for life became disabled more than 6,200 people, including women, children and the elderly. More than two thousand inhabitants DNI missing. 08.02 Many instances of shelling of Donetsk with MLRS (including Uragans), and artillery. One very powerful explosion (videos available) was reported as well. Later it was said that a chemical plant producing paints and dry mixes in Donetsk was hit by a heavy artillery shell (DPR did not confirm that it was ammunition plant); preliminary information is that nobody was killed in that explosion.
07.02 After ceasefire ended on 6.02, Ukraine attempted an attack on the whole front line; the attack was repelled. 6 civilians were killed, 15 wounded in Donetsk due to shelling by Ukraine from the North-West.
05.02. Shelling by Ukraine had 7 civilians killed, 44 wounded, most of them in Donetsk. Schools, hospitals, kindergartens hit. Ukraine is using Smerch MLRS; range is 80 km; a full salvo covers an area of 8 football fields.
22.01 Donetsk bus shelled at least 8 killed, 13 injured
- Residents react abusively to UAF 'cyborg' officer captured earlier at the Airport and brought to the scene
- Totals. Latest official UN figure: 224 civilians killed and 545 wounded in the three weeks leading up to 1 February. According to the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), the overall death toll now exceeds 5,358 people, with another 12,235 wounded since mid-April last year (Deaths here are likely certified, and mostly civilian).
In 6 months ending July 2015, 164 civilians were killed, including 16 children; 501 were wounded, including 42 are children DAN news, quoting city administration data,31 July 2015.
- Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, "Accountability for killings in Ukraine from January 2014 to May 2016" -report. Blames both sides, but Western media mostly highlightes alleged crimes by rebels. While large number of civilian shelling victims are reported as if it is not known who is predominantly to blame. Significant number of other cases are likely not fully investigated or included in the report.
- "Ukraine crisis: Impunity 'pervasive' in east, says UN" , BBC, 14 July 2016 (highlights one case in rebel controlled Luhansk, where some Cossacks were accused of a crime)
Military Hardware Lost
23.02 Zakharchenko: 'Poroshenko is our main ally'. In 5 days at Debaltsevo, 170 UAF tanks were captured or destroyed; most of them can be repaired. Also, 50 artillery pieces; they did not even count mortars. Ammunition, still move it out by railroad wagon-loads.
19.02 In Debaltsevo, opolchenie captured 265 pieces of UAF military equipment. 28 tanks, 63 BMP/BTR, 145 vehicles, 16 anti-aircraft guns, 13 artillery and mortar pieces were found in good condition and have been adopted by the DPR army. Also captured: about 1000 firearms, 39 ammunition storages and 2 railroad card with ammunition -Basurin
14.02 4 Grads launchers and ammunition seized by NAF near Debaltsevo -Basurn
02-03.02.15 UAF lost 5 tanks, 1 BMP, 11 artillery pieces, one plane (and/or one Tochka U)
- Totals: for 29 days, up to ceasefire: UAF lost 3 airplanes, 1 helicopter, 205 tanks, 182 BMP, BTR, MTLB, 208 field artillery guns, 124 vehicles -Basurn
- for 22 days since fighting restarted: UAF lost 3 planes, 1 helicopter, 168 tanks, 133 BMP/BTR, 124 artillery pieces, 94 vehicles
- 17 Jan.-3 Feb. UAF lost 3 planes, 1 helicopter, 146 tanks, 114 BMP/BTR, 91 artillery pieces, 64 vehicles
Banned Weapons Use
There were numerous reports on phosphorus bomb use, with consistent photo and video footage, witness reports, burns consistent with such weapons use, etc. Many articles on Rusvesna on this topic. One of them here, for example, contain a photo of an explosion, and video, allegedly of nationalist battalion fighters, based on colors/regalia, discussing and accepting that such munitions were used by Ukraine (dated 13.02.2015 ). There were numerous other such incidents. The latest phosphorous munition report is by DoNI press, , translated at Fort Russ, Apr. 24, 2016, from Zaitsevo.
02.02.15 Report on phosphorous ammunition used against civilians by Ukraine-burns can be seen.
More photos, sky alight in Marinka (Donetsk suburb), Aug. 1, 2014
04.02.15 UAF shelled Telmanovo from Mirnoe by Smerch MLRS, civilian houses destroyed
28.01.15 OSCE confirms (03.02.15 report) that cluster Smerch munitions were used against Artemivskyi district of Luhansk, shelling was from NNW. (Shelling done by Ukraine).
- Deutsche Wirtschafts Nachrichten: "The IMF has pumped billions in recent months into the Ukrainian financial system to stabilize the country's banks. Approximately $ 1.8 billion were going to the largest financial institution Private Bank, which is controlled by the oligarch Igor Kolomoiski. But instead of investing the money into the Ukrainian economy, Kolomoiski has managed to channel the emergency loans through a network of offshore companies abroad".  Ukrainian anti-corruption project "Our Money" ('Наші гроші' (ukr) = "Nashi Groshi") is quoted as offering an explanation of the scheme, involving a 'purchase' of foreign goods which were never delivered, using a credit from Private Bank, and the payment deposited to accounts in off-shore branches of the Privat Bank. 
- Ukrainian $18 bln debt (held in bonds) will receive a 20% 'haircut'. However, between 2021 and 2040 investors will receive up to 40 per cent of the value of Ukraine’s annual economic growth above 4 per cent, although total payments will be capped at 1 per cent for the first four years.   Ukrainian GDP is 177.4 billion USD (2013) -by google search. It went down quite a lot in 2014; but the IMF projection is 134 bln USD in 2020. One percent of that in growth is 1.3 bln; such amount may be paid to investors for 20 years bringing 26 bln USD. Write-off amount is about 3.6 bln USD. This wonderful deal is called a 'win-win' by Ukrainian finance minister and the Guardian . Franklin Templeton is one of the largest investors involved. Russia has 3 bln USD in Ukrainian debt and is not participating in the deal.(Vasili Muravitskii/Cassad brought up this matter).
- Opolchenie version of events. Rusvesna-news (rusvesna.su, Russian) , (rusvesna.su, English) , (rusnext.ru, Russian).
- Official Donetsk People Republic (DPR) news dan-news.info.
- Oplot TV-Donetsk Live now , youtube channel vk Oplot TV
- First Republican Channel-DPR youtube vk ('official channel of DPR', created in April 2014, and unofficially broadcasting some material online; possibly re-broadcasting Russia 24 in their vacant slots.
- Lugansk People Republic (LPR) news: LPR Sovet (legislature) site, news, luganskallnews.ru, news, lug-info.com
- OSCE SMM-Ukraine
- TASS Chronicle-link to daily updates, (Russian) , TASS - Ukraine (English) (easiest to search).
- Daily Press Briefings - US Department of State
- "Les masques de la revolution", Russian dubbed over French version, Feb. 1, 2016
- 'Times of Donbass' (Italian/Russian), Jan 12, 2016
- 13,3% would vote for the party "Block of Petro Poroshenko"
- 12,8% - for the All-Ukrainian Union "Fatherland" (Yulia Timosenko)
- 6,8% - for the party "Union Samopomich" (Sadovyi)
- 5,8% - for the Radical Party of Oleg Lyashko,
- 4,1% - for the party "Opposition block" (Boyko) --formerly 'Party of Regions'-Yanukovich
- 3,1% - for the party "Civil position"
- 3,0% - for the party "Right Sector"
- 3,2% - have crossed all the parties /spoiled bulletin
- 14,3% - chose not to vote,
- 23,5% - hard to choose,
- 2,6% - refusal
- Source: Socio-Political Situation In Ukraine: July 2015. Report also have opinions on various peace/Russia issues, by region (English).
- In DPR/LPR, polling is done by Center for Sociological Study 'Special Status' (Центр социологических исследований «Особый статус» -russ.) Here is their opening presentation. Poll results are published by news sources.
- DPR poll conducted in the beginning of August in 19 DPR towns, 5900 people took part, 5% statistical error
- 43 % for DPR to join the Russian Federation (33.8% 3 months ago)
- 17 % for DPR to be independent ('sovereign') (42.8 % 3 months ago)
- 18 % for the 'creation of a joint state' (unclear what that would be exactly- some sort of autonomy aligned with Russia)
- 11 % ('not more than') for DPR as a part of Ukraine. 14.9 % see some future with Ukraine following Minsk agreements (18.8 % 3 months ago)
DPR: Donetsk People Republic (prime minister: Alexander Zakharchenko)
LPR: Lugansk People Republic (head: Igor Plotniskii)
JCCC Joint Center for Control and Co-ordination, consists of Ukrainian and Russian military officers,- tries to mediate to have ceasefire implemented.
MLRS: Multiple Launch Rocket System, Grad/Uragan/Smerch. Uragan or Smerch typically have cluster munitions
UAF (=AFU): Ukrainian Armed Forces
NAF (=AFN): Opolchenie, Novorossia Armed Forces
OSCE: Organization for Security and Co‑operation in Europe
RSG: recon and subversion group
SMM: Special Monitoring Mission-OSCE===References===
Here comes a third pi
Very cool! Should be fun to work with, but no promises I'll figure it out just yet. --Caustic Logic 07:35, 4 October 2012 (EST)
Houla (May 25, 2012)
Daraya (August 25, 2012)
Tremseh (July 12, 2012)
Sari Saoud (November 26, 2011)
- Deutsche Wirtschafts Nachrichten, "Ukrainischer Oligarch bereichert sich an IWF-Krediten", 27.08.15
- RT (Russian), "DWN: Коломойский «оприходовал» транш МВФ и скрылся в Америке", 28.08.2015
- Financial Times, "Ukraine secures debt deal for war-ravaged economy", 27.8.2015
- Finance Ministry of Ukraine, Ukraine and the Ad Hoc Creditors' Committee agree on Indicative Heads of Terms for restructuring of sovereign and sovereign guaranteed Eurobonds, 27.8.2015
- The Guardian, Ukraine agrees 'win-win' debt restructuring deal, 27.8.2015