Edit me! --------------------->
Ukraine News in Container
Withdrawal of heavy weapons is planned for 21 Feb.
19 Feb. Some clashes on Maidan, police and national guard in control, Semen Semchenko (now MP) present and makes some commotion (report, photos, video). Arrests, injuries reported, including 'OUN' battalion commander Kohanovskii.
DPR reports worsening security situation for the past day, shelling count is 2453, with about half from heavy weapons. Donetsk water filtering station lost power, DPR says as a result of intentional shelling. (Russ.)(Engl)
18 Feb. Putin signs an executive order recognizing documents and vehicle registration plates issued by the DPR and LPR. The move was cheered in L/DPR, and criticized by Ukraine and by US Embassy in Kiev.
Two years and a bit after Minsk-2 agreements, Zakharchenko and Plotniskii scheduled a joint press conference in Lugansk, with the topic not revealed in advance.
- 'DPR, LPR announce start of humanitarian programme for occupied Donbass', DAN news (Engl.) (Russ.)
- ДНР и ЛНР готовы освободить подконтрольные Киеву районы Донбасса военным путём (+ВИДЕО), Rusvesna (if peaceful means will not work than ...) - Zakharchenko and Plotniskii
Ukraine shelled Yasinovataya outskirts with Grads.
Energy blockade was started by Ukrainian nats bats (Semchenko et al) at the end of January, 2017, preventing shipments of anthracites coal from L/DPR republics to Ukraine. That blockade led to energy crisis and energy emergency situation in Ukraine, as power stations were designed to use anthracites type of coal. Blockade was criticized by Poroshenko.
15 Feb. Protesters prompt OSCE observers to carry out reinspection in western Donetsk (not commented on OSCE site yet).
14 Feb. One DPR soldier was killed in the past day.
Big explosion at at Donetsk state chemical plant is reported, as a result of Ukrainian shelling (video). Plant is producing explosives for mining and military. Blast is similar to earlier ones (here). There are casualties; 1 civilian is reported killed. Windows in a hospital and 11 houses nearby were shattered. DPR video shows big crater and quick chemical weapons tests (iprit test shown) they decided to run after seeing unusual cloud; they came back negative.
DPR: Failed UAF attacked on Kominternovo, 5 UAF soldiers were killed.
Opolchenie report on continued shelling, including heavy weapons, MLRS. Donetsk water treatment plant containing 4 tonnes of chlorine is in the area of Ukrainian shelling in particular.
13 Feb. 1 DPR soldier was killed in the past day, DPR shelled 509 times (sit-rep).
11 Feb. DPR was shelled 438 times, at least 2 houses damaged, banned weapons used and more spotted, 1 DPR soldier wounded.
OSCE calls for withdrawal of heavy weapons from separation line; DPR already agreed (TASS).
10 Feb. DPR and LPR (finally) are preparing laws requiring operating there 'non-resident' companies, like Akhmetov plants, to pay them taxes. Currently taxes are paid to Ukraine, and as LPR public council chairman Zaporoztsev put it, 'some of that profit returns to us, but in the form of artillery and mortar shells and other means of destruction. Those plants have been built by our fathers and grandfathers, but now not only they do not receive their pensions, but have to suffer from shelling and destruction of their homes'.
"DPR offers truce, Ukraine answers with shells and OSCE just don't care" -DoNi (Engl.) report and Engl. -captioned video.
DPR, LPR people's councils chairmen issued joint appeal to world leaders, Russia, USA, Germany, to stop genocide in Donbass. At present the appeal was signed by over 62 thousand people in DPR, 56.6 thousand in LPR (Regular shelling, targeting water supplines, industrial objects with potentially catastrophic consequences described in the appeal).
Poroshenko rejected 'holding elections under presence of foreign troops' , in response to comments by German ambassador. This is despite Minsk agreements to have elections before Ukraine gains border control.
8 Feb. Prominent commander of DPR "Somali" batallion Mikhail "Givi" Tolstykh is assassinated in his office, said to be by a shot from "Shmel' portable thermobaric rocket. DPR blamed Ukraine for the assassination. Givi supported DPR leadership; had ascetic lifestyle.
- Photo gallery-MK.
- Life news interview with Givi on 3 Feb, after Ukrainian attack on Avdeevka was repelled, including by "Sparta" (Motorola) and "Somali" (Givi). 'Somali' lost several fighters and Givi was lightly wounded, but was back the next day. Givi says that Ukrainian side had higher losses and was resorting to shelling civilian areas; and that his side did not extend a counter-attack further as he was following Minsk agreements.
- Interview with 'Somali' HQ chief (refutes fakes, like 'opolchenie member claiming responsibility', earlier one on Givi planning to leave, etc)
- DPR investigators confirmed that IED is considered as a possibility (while some outsiders say, definitely not Shmel).
DPR was shelled by Ukraine 775 times in the past day. DPR accused Ukraine of preparing to mine and prepare to explode Avdeevka coke plant; such explosion can lead to ecological catastrophe.
Report and video from the south, near Mariupol, Shirokino. Regular shelling at night, Ukraine deploying more forces, Ukrainian attack plans rumored.
- Weather. In the last 2 weeks, night temperatures were hitting near -20 Celsius (-4 Fahrenheit). Heating in large residential areas is central, one boiler plant per several multi-storey houses; those heating plants were often knocked off by damaged electric power supply and by direct hits. This created difficult conditions for civilian population. There were reports on interrupted supply; a recent report that a DPR soldier guarding repair workers fixing power grid was killed by Ukrainian sniper, repairs had to stop; etc.
6 Feb. Radical Party leader Oleg Lyashko has his 10-year US visa issued in December 2016 revoked.
4 Feb. President Poroshenko has his first phone call with Trump.
LPR. Chief of the People's Militia Department Oleg Anashenko killed in a car explosion. Ukraine is blamed, an Ukrainian officer later said to be arrested (Russian sources here, quoting LPR ministry of security sources).
- From 1 Jan. 2017 to 2 Feb, 31 people killed (27 soldiers, 4 civilians), 87 wounded (40 soldiers, 47 civilians, including 2 children under 18)
- Last week (27 Jan-2 Feb.): 19 killed (15 soldiers; + 4 civilians killed in shelling of Donetsk and Makeevka); 59 wounded (17 soldiers and 42 civilians, including 2 children).
2 Feb. DPR was shelled 1617 times in the past day (including 374 times by heavy artillery, 40 by MLRS). 38 houses were damaged. One DPR soldier was killed and one injured. A civilian man in Makeevka had his arm severed (DAN news).
Opposition figure and ex-PM Yulia Tymoshenko meets with Trump.
In the past day, Ukraine shelled DPR 3016 times (including heavy artillery, 839 times, and MRLS, 490 times). There are destroyed houses and civilian casualties, it is reported that 2 civilians were killed and 2 wounded (some intersection possible with previous day report, and more casualty reports are coming in).
Water supply to Donetsk and parts of Makeevka is completely interrupted as filtering station lost power.
Tail part of Buk missile fell on Makeevka, according to report with photos. It is said that Ukraine tried to shoot down an OSCE drone with it, firing Buk from a vicinity of Avdeevka.
Ambulance was hit in Donetsk by Ukrainian fire, 3 civilians were wounded (report and photos).
31 Jan. Basurin urgent report (on video) describes 2 Ukrainian attacks near Avdeevka (8 pm on 30 Jan, and 4 am), both repelled. He goes on to describe Ukrainian shelling and damage, including to electric power supply, affecting heating stations; in addition, one heating station was damaged by shelling, affecting 7 multi-storey houses.
Ukrainian forces, 2 platoons strong, launched an attack on Kominternovo, near Mariupol. The attack was repelled (report +map). Report estimates UAF losses at 14 killed and dozens wounded.
Basurin: Kiev forces violate ceasefire 2411 times over 24 hours, including Grad MLRS and artillery; deploy MLRS Uragan near Donetsk.
A woman, 1949 DOB, was killed by Ukrainian shelling in Kievskii district of Donetsk.
Vox Populi Evo publishes a video with Zakharchenko on the frontlines proclaiming that (in Russian audio and English subtitles) "they won't get through".
US State Department: "The United States is deeply concerned with the recent spike in violence in eastern Ukraine around Avdiivka-Yasynuvata".
30 Jan. DPR. A lot of shelling and damage is reported, including Donetsk suburbs, Makeevka. Two civilians, a woman and another person who died in hospital of his wounds, were killed, 2 civilians wounded when hospital number 5 in Makeevka was shelled.
Basurin estimate is over 25 UAF killed, 40 wounded (no explanation how he knows) in the past day, as a result of failed Avdeevka zone attack and 'friendly fire' by Right Sector. Basurin report on 31 Jan. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q39R5VY2Gos&t=7m43s video])(Eng.) suggests recent high body count in Ukrainian morgues and military medical institutions.
29 Jan. DPR (quoting Khodakovskiy) : 'Powerful fight near Avdeevka industrial zone. The enemy is trying to cut off one of our positions in the open terrain from the main forces. Have not had such brazen attempts to attack for a long time, we should expect activation in other areas. Something is going on at the "top", and they want to attract attention elsewhere, and at the same time take care of their "restless". Our reserves are alerted, reinforcements are deployed. There is information on the wounded, but the site is completely open - evacuation is difficult. "
- Basurin: Ukrainian attack near Avdeevka failed. Heavy weapons use, causalities reported.
- Ukraine reported 5 killed, 13 (or 14) wounded. Report tries to put the blame on DPR, claims larger losses on DPR side--not confirmed by DPR.
- Rusvesna gives profiles of 3 killed UAF soldiers, following Ukrainian source.
- Zhuckovskiy: MLRS, Grads and Uragans were used; suggests higher DPR casualties (10 or more killed, 30 wounded), and higher Ukrainian losses (20 killed in the morning even before heavy artillery/MLRS use)
28 Jan. In the past day, Ukraine shelled DPR 1270 times, a sharp increase. One DPR soldier was killed.
27 Jan. It is reported that Valerii Bolotov, first leader of LPR, and the person who started the resistance in Donbass with his video appeal on 6 Apr. 2014, has died. Circumstances are unclear at this point. RT: by preliminary information, it was heart attack.
Ukraine shelled northern regions of Donetsk from Grads, heavy weapons shelling also reported in Gorlovka and in the south. According to DPR ombudsman, 11 people were wounded in the past week. No deaths were reported this week; since the beginning of the year, 12 people were killed.
In LPR, 2 civilians were killed (one in Kirovsk on 24 Jan, another in 'Niva' car hit by Ukrainian ant-tank missile near Dolgoe on 25 Jan. ) Two more civilians were wounded on 27 Jan. near Bryanka.
In the past week, Ukraine shelled DPR 5956 time, including 1976 times from heavy weapons. 20 ceasefire violations in the past week reported by LPR.
25 Jan. Reports are coming that a civilian car (video 1)(video 2) with a family of 3 inside is hit by Ukrainian anti-tank missile, near a village of Dolgoe, Slavianoserbsk region, LPR. According to war correspondent Anna Dolgareva, a man, 1950 DOB, was killed, 2 others -his wife and daughter-were in shock but not injured. DoNi News report (Eng.) here.
24 Jan. Civilian is killed in Kirovsk, LPR (report and photo). A hospital and residential houses nearby were damaged.
23 Jan. Graham Phillips attends British-Ukrainian Society anniversary meeting in Westminster (video), repeatedly shouts the question 'why the UK supports shelling and killing civilians in Donbass' at the start of the meeting, asked to leave by security. Linked are reactions in Russian media (Rusvesna), and by the Ukrainian ambassador to the UK (+user comments).
22 Jan. DPR was shelled 1428 times in the past day, almost a 3 fold increase. A civilian house was hit by a 122 mm shell, but it did not explode and was removed safely.
21 Jan. Yasinovataya city center was shelled, one unexploded 122 mm artillery shell landed in a children's playground (report and video, residents interviewed).
In the past week, DPR was shelled 4,348 times in the past week, including 1,031 times by heavy weapons (artillery, tank fire, mortars).
DPR ombudsman: 6 DPR soldiers were killed by Ukrainian shelling in the past week; 4 people (2 soldiers and 2 civilians) were wounded.
SMM considers additional video cameras; seems like a good idea; but has to be approved by all OSCE member states.
19 Jan. Victor Pinchuk proposes to make painful compromises to achieve peace with Russia; but the official Ukrainian response and media tells why not to; more here.
17 Jan. One DPR soldier was killed by Ukrainian mortar shelling.
16 Jan. DPR: Ukrainian shelling intensified, 1076 ceasefire violations reported in the past day, including heavy weapons.
According to Ukrainian data, in the past week 3 soldiers were killed in action, 3 by landmine explosion, and 17 soldiers were wounded in action.
15 Jan. Three years old child was wounded in Ukrainian mortar shelling of the settlement Dolomitnoe (map), near Svetlodarsk and Gorlovka. (While Ukraine reports heavy clashes in the Svetlodarsk arc area).
14 Jan. Repair teams restored power to Donetsk water treatment plant; JCCC coordinated ceasefire during repairs.
13 Jan. According to DPR ombudsman, from 24 Dec. 2016 to 13 Jan 2017, 21 DPR soldiers and 7 Ukrainian soldiers were killed, 32 people were wounded (28 of them are DPR soldiers; apparently a typo in the civilian number) .
10 Jan. LPR: Ukrainian RSG on a BMP vehicle attempted reconnaissance-in-force near Debaltsevo. But their BMP broke down and so LPR militia did not have to respond and violate ceasefire.
POW lists prepared by Nadezhda Savchenko are "strange" - timer-Odessa. Out of 50 allegedly requested by L/DPR odessians, only 31 are under arrest, and not all of them agree to be exchanged. In her list of 'Russians', Timer identified 11 citizens of Ukraine. Nefёdorov and Nikolenko in her list are apparently Russian citizens Mefёdov and Mikolenko accused on charges of plotting assassination of a Euromaidan activist. Some other names submitted officially are not in her list.
8 Jan. DPR 'ensured evacuation of a body' of a 14 years old girl killed on Jan.5 in a buffer zone between Krasnogorovka and Staromikhailovka (map). "UAF refused to evacuate the body, and DPR command had to appeal to Ukrainian volunteers'. 'By preliminary information, the girl died from the loss of blood' resulting from her wounds. According to DPR, on that day fire was coming from the Ukrainian side only. (DAN news).
DPR accused UAF, SBU of moving handcuffed civilians to the front line in the area of Marinka city, to blame DPR for their death. The report quotes intelligence intercepts. It does not offer proofs but could be released to try to prevent this from happening.
6 Jan. DPR: In the past week, Ukraine violated ceasefire 3,365 times, including 804 times from heavy weapons, artillery, tank and mortar fire. Six households were damaged in Zaitsevo, Trudovskiye and Sakhanka. (Engl.) (Rus. + map).
4 Jan. DPR: 1233 ceasefire violations by Ukraine in the past day, back again to pre-holiday levels.
3 Jan. DPR envoy Denis Pushilin blamed non-constructive position taken by Ukraine for the stalled Minsk talks. The Contact Group’s first consultations in 2017 are scheduled for 16 Jan.
1 Jan 2017. DPR: 357 ceasefire violations by Ukraine in the past day. In the south, shelling by Ukraine increased after US senators McCain, Graham and delegation visit. (Also, TV Zvezda: "Senator rubs his hands in the Donbass: Video")
DPR Sakhanka: life goes on under shelling, 11 Oct. 2016
'Suburbia of life', about the effect of the war on life in small villages and towns. Shelling, destruction, economic hardship. Slow running, in Russian. Sept. 29, 2016.
More videos on talk page
Aftermaths of Ukrainian shelling of the village Zheltoe (Yellow), LPR, 29 Nov. 2016 lug-info.
Note on sources. At present, pro -Ukrainian and pro-Russian sources more often than not offer opposing claims on events, and a choice needs to be made. Currently factual part of reporting by pro-Russian sources appear more accurate, complete, and closer to truth, out of the two available alternatives. It is also less known, as the other side has greater support by the Western mass media. For that reason, a lot of reporting here is based on Russian sources. It is not done for the sake of supporting any pre-determined narrative. If and when Ukrainian sources appear more accurate, they will be used without a reservation.
Some Ukrainian source reporting is very good, for example Tatyana Montyan numerous videos, some of them translated, are spot-on and at times appear closer to reality than any pro-this or that narratives. However the bulk of Ukrainian media is unreliable, and often just unbelievable, not passing cross checks (e.g. as was illustrated numerous times by well-read on both sides Ukrainian journalist Anatoly Sharii); or else, is filled with hate and may cheer more people harmed or killed (any of such sort, from any side, is totally unsupported here).
Official Ukrainian sources
- ATO press releases and maps
- Official website of Ukrainian president
- National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine
- Verhovna Rada
DPR and LPR
- 22.7.15 Under-100 mm weapons withdrawal was agreed Poroshenko statement: ' I hope it will be the real beginning of the ceasefire'.
- 12.2.15 Two documents were agreed: on measures on implementing Minsk protocol (English language PDF here).
Documenting Incidents, Human Rights violations
- Interactive map of human rights violations, human rights NCO organization 'Just Defense' based in Moscow in partnership with Ombudsman-DPR vkontakte (vk.com) Ombudsman-DPR -Daria Morozova (announcement video).
- Why They Are Killing Donbass? Novorossia TV with English subs. Blames consumerism, has very interesting cultural observations and quotations (incl late acad. Vladimir Arnold at 21:23 on educational reasons).
Gennady Korban (Kolomoiskii team) "ATO operation handling was a failure" ru.tsn.ua 'Korban made statements about corruption [...] and failed ATO handling' . Previously, criticized using heavy weapons in Donbass and suggested that at most police action is appropriate.
- '(...) Lies about Ukraine', -Boris Nemtsov, Leonid Martyniuk-blames Russian Government (based on inaccurate or later reversed statements made at the official level).
Blaming the USA
- Paul Craig Roberts ’ Address to the International Conference on the European/Russian Crisis Created by Washington', June 19, 2015. ...' Wolfowitz Doctrine...The gullibility of the public has enabled Washington to establish the foundation for a new Cold War...' ' "Washington doesn’t want partners. Washington wants vassals" ' 'European governments and, of course, the lapdog UK government, are complicit in this implicit declaration of war against Russia and China. If it comes to war, Europeans will pay the ultimate price for the treason of their leaders [...] as Europe will cease to exist'.
26.4.2016 'Maidan' activists protesting against city mayor Trukhanov, erecting light barricades at the city administration building, were dispersed by unknown activists armed with wooden sticks and pepper spray, several protesters were injured (photos, videos in the report).
With May 2 anniversary approaching, situation remain tense. Nationalists are making threats aimed at city administration. Regional governor Saakashvilli asked Poroshenko to deploy national guards to the city for the early days in May, explaining that those were tragic events which still resonate with many people, while those responsible were not brought to justice; and that he feels extra guards are really needed. It appeared that the request was granted, but than contradicting reports appeared.
15.1.2016 Maria Gaidar became assistant head of Odessa regional administration (Saakashvilli is the head)
6.1.2016 The subsistence minimum (this is known as poverty level in the West) per odessite in 2016 is as follows: from January 1 - 1330 hryvnia per month (that is 55 USD at this time) , from May 1 - 1399 hryvnia, from December 1 - 1496 hryvnia 1 TV, Odessa.
27.8 DPR all-for all prisoners exchange list includes 63 anti-maidan activists arrested or charged after May 2 events.
19.7 Saakasvilli clashed with Filatov, Kolomoiskii ally. Clash has to do with elections in Chernigov where another Kolomoiskii ally Korban is running. Saakashvilli is said to come to support opposing candidate Berezenko, his main opponent, but gave a different reason for the visit; that ended in verbal and almost physical clash with Filatov (video), and a court case threatened by Filatov.
17.7.2015 Maria Gaidar appointed vice-governor responsible for social policy. She is a daughter of late Yegor Gaidar (a reformer, acting prime minister of Russia in the second half of 1992). Indicated that her priority will be to show residents that regional authorities care about them. tAfter showing reluctance to persistent journalist questions on who Ukraine is fighting with, eventually provided] politically correct answer telling that Russia attacked Georgia and Ukraine (on her 4th attempt).
30.5.2015 Mikheil Saakashvili appointed governor of Odessa region. Poroshenko stated that knows Saakashvilli for a long time and trusts him. Control of Odessa port which may be used for military aid, Transnistria border, and creating positive image abroad, are seen as some of the reasons behind the appointment. Port control and other economic matters placed Saakashvilli on collision course with Kolomoiskii, whose ally was a previous Odessa governor.
Debaltsevo Damage to houses, big craters. It is said in the article that sometime UAF intentionally damaged houses by a direct fire.
- Donetsk Airport ~ Before and After, January 2015 . 3D model-sketchlab
- Luhansk Airport photos,-Graham Phillips and Cassad.
December 20, 2015: German freelance journalist Mark Batalmai, who has lived in Donetsk since mid-2014 and worked embedded with the opolchenie, releases his crowdfunded full-length documentary "Ukrainian Agony" in an English-language version (German-language original).
- 22.7.15 Under-100 mm weapons withdrawal was agreed Poroshenko statement: ' I hope it will be the real beginning of the ceasefire'.
- 12.2.15 Two documents were agreed: on measures on implementing Minsk protocol (English language PDF here).
Since now, December 23 2015, for the (n+1) time unconditional ceasefire is announced, although I do hope that one is the last, there is no warranty. So I'll just keep labels and dates for important but so far resurgent events here.
February 23 update: by the end of January, 2016, lots of shelling incidents are again reported daily. Once again, promises of ceasefire did not materialize.
- Unconditional Ceasefire in Donbas.
- 23.12.15 (starting 0:00, Dec 23, 2015, as announced-TASS
- Donetsk Airport, Donetsk suburbs shelled by Ukraine
- 13.2.16;9.2.16; 26.1.16(tank fire);25.1.16;21.1.16; 20.1.16;15.1.16; 13.1.16;31.12.15 (Staromikhailovka); 29.12; 28.12.15 (Zhabichevo); 27.12.15(Petrovskyi) ; 26.12.15(Spartak); 24.12.15 ; 13.12.15 (Dokuchaevsk) .
- (Every other day, up until now)
- Gorlovka, nearby villages shelled (Rusvesna updates-Gorlovka)
- 13.2.16;21.1.16; 11/12.1.16 (Engl).; 10.1.16 (1 DPR killed) 9.1.2016; 27.12.15; 24.12.15.
- (Similar to the above)
- Villages near Mariupol shelled by Ukraine
- 25.1.16 (artillery, from Mariupol);Kominternovo: 21.1.16;31.12.15 29.12.15 ; 24.12.15 + Basurin & OSCE came under sniper fire, 27.12
28.4.16 Detailed discussion of Nuland visit and Minsk progress by a Ukrainian source. Renewed push, with a deadline of having laws in place by the end of May, implementation by the end of summer is noted. IMF loan to Ukraine may be linked to Minsk implementation, as well as adoption of a packet of other required laws. However, so far Poroshenko tactics was to delay implementation hoping that time is on the side of Ukraine, and such an approach may last forever.
25.3.16 Foreign Minister Steinmeier in Moscow: "We need Russia to help resolve conflicts". Highlights insufficient progress implementing Minsk-2.
27.1.16 Constitutional amendments: Russia's position in Minsk talks:
- the vote on the Constitution of Ukraine should be tightly linked to the simultaneous adoption of the amendments to Articles 1 and 10 of the law on the special status of Donbass by giving special status of a permanent framework according to "Steinmeier formula";
- revision of the amendments to the law on the special status should be agreed in the contact group;
- A legal formula has to be found that guarantees that paragraph 18 of the transitional provisions of the Constitution will refer to the current wording of articles 2-9 of the law on the special status and to new, agreed by the contact group, wording of Articles 1 and 10;
- This formula should be fixed (закрепить (Rus) = lit. 'fix, make firm'; here 'used'/'entered') in the Constitution of Ukraine;
- it is also necessary to legislate in the Constitution of Ukraine, that the powers of those representatives elected in Donbass elections under a separate law will not be discontinued in 2017, as is envisaged in the constitutional reform for the rest of Ukraine
11.1. 2016 Boris Gryzlov visited Kiev. Next trilateral group meeting is on 13.1.2016 in Minsk.
Normandy four agreed to extend Minsk agreements into the year of 2016, TASS, Dec. 30, 2015
24.12.2015 Kuchma fools around trying to reinterpret Minsk agreements, demanding border control and in effect DPR/LPR disarmament prior to elections. This is not what was agreed (and could not possibly be agreed the way he tries to put it now, with Novorossia advancing militarily at the time of the agreement). Dirty games now, and so not surprisingly no progress...
18.11.2015 Ukraine did not show up for a contact group meeting where a law on special elections in Donbas was to be discussed. Previously, it was reported that sides could not reach an agreement. According to Pushilin, agenda included a ban for Ukrainian political parties to participate in local elections in Donbas, mechanism of participation for temporary displaced persons, and amnesty law.
15.3 Minsk 3 ? It is rumored that part of Ukrainian leadership is seeking a compromise and another Minsk meeting. Maybe an info release merely testing waters; but the essence of compromise is said to be a special mode to local government which covers the entire territory of the Lugansk and Donetsk regions (including those controlled by Ukraine), but these areas will be led by the people agreed as Kiev and Moscow, and the other members of the Minsk process (Germany and France). It is said that a similar proposal was made a year ago after a meeting involving Kuchma, Medvedchuk, and DPR, but Poroshenko refused to consider it and started the ATO instead. Ukrainian media claim that the plan is actually coming from "representatives of Moscow".
- Kremlin 'melancholically denied' (Cassad) re-interpretations/free interpretations of Minsk TASS
12.6.15 Poroshenko expects to submit de-centralization bill to Rada by the end of parliamentary session in July
- other constitutional changes proposed by the sides: see news entry for 9.6.15 above
10.6.15 Kuchma: Russia insists on including Novorosiia representatives into tripartite liaison group, Normandy format ; but his is not acceptable to us; they are included as consultants.
17-19.03 Russia called for a UNSC closed door meeting to discuss Ukraine breaking Minsk 2 agreements. Later Lavrov criticized the US position, and indicated further diplomatic moves and planned meetings in in Normandy format
16.03 Special status law requires elections based on laws of Ukraine prior to such special status. LPR/DPR were not consulted about this (although that is required in Minsk 2 agreements). With leaders of LPR/DPR and Soviets recently elected already, another elections will be problematic. There were no local elections though, may be local elections can be arranged in a way acceptable to both sides.
14.03 Poroshenko introduced special status law for Rada consideration -TASS quoting Rada site.
13.03 Zakharchenko and Plotniskii write to Hollande and Merkel about Ukraine not fulfilling its obligations: not following schedule on heavy weapons withdrawal; (most importantly) Rada has not started discussing special status for Donetsk, Lugansk regions--that work is supposed to finish by 14 March; continued economic blockade.
27.02 UNSC meeting on Ukraine started with OSCE report, highlighting state of affairs and challenges OSCE faces. Overall partial calming of warfare in the past several days noted. Neither side was willing to provide details of heavy weapons they posses, or their exact destination after proposed withdrawal. Technology (e.g. satellite), experts, and procedures need to be upgraded for OSCE to fulfill its required mission (video of OSCE presentation in Russian translation is here, other languages not found at this time)
- abc news report dailystar SBS
- Churkin gives a brief account of the UNSC closed door meeting TASS-English
19.02 Poroshenko has held a phone conversation in the Normandy format, told them "not to pretend that the events in Debaltseve meet the Minsk agreements". He has also urged to elaborate clear guarantees for the possible attempts of violating the given agreements in the future. (Debaltsevo situation was known in Minsk--indeed he should not be pretending).
18.02 Poroshenko plans to ask for UN peacekeepers
14.02 Russia introduced UN SC resolution approving Minsk agreements of February 12. So far, English speaking world, UK and USA, did not clearly expressed their positions, and it may give an indication. So far, it was along the lines that Russia has to deliver, and may be further sanctioned otherwise, while Ukraine has nothing to deliver, and will not be sanctioned for failures. Russian officials called for a change of such approach, taking a position that the conflict is internally Ukrainian and Russia is not a participant (example). While Russian media are making presentations indicating that it is the USA who is a participant, in Kiev overlord capacity (example).
12.02 Two documents were agreed:
- on measures on implementing Minsk protocol (English language PDF here). Ceasefire starting on February 15; separation of heavy weapons (from actual line for Ukraine, and from September 19 line for Novorossia; this enlarges separation), starting in 2 days from ceasefire, finishing in 14 days. All for all prisoners exchange, to finish in 5 days from separation begins. Time limits are given for all major steps. Return of border control to Ukraine is agreed to occur after local elections and constitutional reform (taking interests of breakaway regions into account)
- declaration of support of Ukrainian peace settlement. This includes support and control of implementation.
10.02 Contact Group agrees (a plan of) heavy troops withdrawal, ceasefire regime -TASS
- It may be the case that sides do not make binding obligations, but approve and support listed measures (language is a bit vague, if something is broken later, or sides do not agree whether later vague steps actually occurred, not clear exactly what will follow)
Still no direct contact between official Kiev and Novorossia. -(Mentioned by Putin in his press statement as one of the reasons negotiations took so long, had to go back and forth with Trilateral Group).
08.02 After telephone conference today, it is said that Normandy four to meet in Minsk on 11.02 if some positions will be resolved prior to that. Details of positions not explained. (Lukashenko talked to both Putin and Poroshenko about this and is happy and keen for them to come to Minsk)
06.02 Hollande-Merkel-Putin talks are finished in Moscow, it is said that a Normandy format document is being prepared based on meetings in Kiev and Moscow. Phone conference call in Normandy format expected on Sunday. (--Putin spokesman Peskov, TASS).) Putin off to Sochi, meets Lukashenko and rests; Hollande and Merkel also departing Moscow.
Plotniskii and Zakharchenko press conference -explains Republics position why it is not their fault that latest Minsk meeting did not succeed (English subs).
Victor Baloga, Governor of trans-Carpathian region of Ukraine, proposes a referendum on whether to continue war or separate from the rebel regions. Also, Gennady Korban, assistant Governor, Dnepropetrovsk, proposes to choose between war and an agreement.
8.7.15 Zakharchenko, at a a joint LPR/DPR press conference: "In 2015, 1212 people were killed, including 25 children under the age of 18 years ". During the conflict in 2014, 3864 DPR peeople died , including 522 women and 65 children. "That is more than 5000 of our people were killed just because they are residents of Donbass." (unclear is this civilian deaths or total deaths--probably total). More than 6,200 people, including women, children and the elderly were seriously injured and became disabled for life were . More than two thousand DPR inhabitants are missing.
14.8.15 From the start of hostilities, 5061 people were killed, among them 4295 men and 766 women, according to the Office of the Commissioner for Human Rights in DPR; and according to the Center for Emergency Medical Aid, 6100 were wounded Dan-news, 14.8.15. The figure is close to the one given by Zakharchenko in July (he had a higher number of 5076, so a small discrepancy here)
3.12.15 DPR ombudsman: during the conflict, almost 80 children were killed in Donbass, Rossiiskaia Gazeta, 3.12.2015. According to DPR ombudsman Yana Chepikova, uring the hostilities, 78 children were killed in DPR, 313 were injured, 35 of them seriously injured. In LPR, 30 children were killed according to data available.
19.02 Zakharchenko: Ukrainian losses in Debaltsevo cauldron may be up to 3 -3.5 thousand killed. There are plans to release or exchange those taken prisoners.
16.02 UAF: estimated 60 killed; NAF 2 killed, 21 wounded (source).
14.02 for the day and up to the ceasefire started: UAF lost 111 killed, NAF lost 8 killed, 28 wounded -Basurn
13.02 up to 100 UAF killed Basurin, DPR
12.02 Day + night, UAF lost 169 killed (links in the news section)
04.02.15 UAF losses: 21 killed
03.02.15 UAF losses estimated at 79 killed.
02.02.15 UAF losses estimated at 130 killed.
- Totals. In 29 days, up to ceasefire starting, 2760 UAF killed, 60 taken prisoners -Basurn
- In 22 days since fighting restarted, 2056 UAF killed (Basurin)
- 17 Jan.-3 Feb. UAF losses estimated at 1738 killed, 52 taken prisoners (Basurin, DPR).
According to the Head of the DNI, the year the war seriously injured for life became disabled more than 6,200 people, including women, children and the elderly. More than two thousand inhabitants DNI missing. 08.02 Many instances of shelling of Donetsk with MLRS (including Uragans), and artillery. One very powerful explosion (videos available) was reported as well. Later it was said that a chemical plant producing paints and dry mixes in Donetsk was hit by a heavy artillery shell (DPR did not confirm that it was ammunition plant); preliminary information is that nobody was killed in that explosion.
07.02 After ceasefire ended on 6.02, Ukraine attempted an attack on the whole front line; the attack was repelled. 6 civilians were killed, 15 wounded in Donetsk due to shelling by Ukraine from the North-West.
05.02. Shelling by Ukraine had 7 civilians killed, 44 wounded, most of them in Donetsk. Schools, hospitals, kindergartens hit. Ukraine is using Smerch MLRS; range is 80 km; a full salvo covers an area of 8 football fields.
22.01 Donetsk bus shelled at least 8 killed, 13 injured
- Residents react abusively to UAF 'cyborg' officer captured earlier at the Airport and brought to the scene
- Totals. Latest official UN figure: 224 civilians killed and 545 wounded in the three weeks leading up to 1 February. According to the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), the overall death toll now exceeds 5,358 people, with another 12,235 wounded since mid-April last year (Deaths here are likely certified, and mostly civilian).
In 6 months ending July 2015, 164 civilians were killed, including 16 children; 501 were wounded, including 42 are children DAN news, quoting city administration data,31 July 2015.
- Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, "Accountability for killings in Ukraine from January 2014 to May 2016" -report. Blames both sides, but Western media mostly highlightes alleged crimes by rebels. While large number of civilian shelling victims are reported as if it is not known who is predominantly to blame. Significant number of other cases are likely not fully investigated or included in the report.
- "Ukraine crisis: Impunity 'pervasive' in east, says UN" , BBC, 14 July 2016 (highlights one case in rebel controlled Luhansk, where some Cossacks were accused of a crime)
Military Hardware Lost
23.02 Zakharchenko: 'Poroshenko is our main ally'. In 5 days at Debaltsevo, 170 UAF tanks were captured or destroyed; most of them can be repaired. Also, 50 artillery pieces; they did not even count mortars. Ammunition, still move it out by railroad wagon-loads.
19.02 In Debaltsevo, opolchenie captured 265 pieces of UAF military equipment. 28 tanks, 63 BMP/BTR, 145 vehicles, 16 anti-aircraft guns, 13 artillery and mortar pieces were found in good condition and have been adopted by the DPR army. Also captured: about 1000 firearms, 39 ammunition storages and 2 railroad card with ammunition -Basurin
14.02 4 Grads launchers and ammunition seized by NAF near Debaltsevo -Basurn
02-03.02.15 UAF lost 5 tanks, 1 BMP, 11 artillery pieces, one plane (and/or one Tochka U)
- Totals: for 29 days, up to ceasefire: UAF lost 3 airplanes, 1 helicopter, 205 tanks, 182 BMP, BTR, MTLB, 208 field artillery guns, 124 vehicles -Basurn
- for 22 days since fighting restarted: UAF lost 3 planes, 1 helicopter, 168 tanks, 133 BMP/BTR, 124 artillery pieces, 94 vehicles
- 17 Jan.-3 Feb. UAF lost 3 planes, 1 helicopter, 146 tanks, 114 BMP/BTR, 91 artillery pieces, 64 vehicles
Banned Weapons Use
There were numerous reports on phosphorus bomb use, with consistent photo and video footage, witness reports, burns consistent with such weapons use, etc. Many articles on Rusvesna on this topic. One of them here, for example, contain a photo of an explosion, and video, allegedly of nationalist battalion fighters, based on colors/regalia, discussing and accepting that such munitions were used by Ukraine (dated 13.02.2015 ). There were numerous other such incidents. The latest phosphorous munition report is by DoNI press, , translated at Fort Russ, Apr. 24, 2016, from Zaitsevo.
02.02.15 Report on phosphorous ammunition used against civilians by Ukraine-burns can be seen.
More photos, sky alight in Marinka (Donetsk suburb), Aug. 1, 2014
04.02.15 UAF shelled Telmanovo from Mirnoe by Smerch MLRS, civilian houses destroyed
28.01.15 OSCE confirms (03.02.15 report) that cluster Smerch munitions were used against Artemivskyi district of Luhansk, shelling was from NNW. (Shelling done by Ukraine).
- Deutsche Wirtschafts Nachrichten: "The IMF has pumped billions in recent months into the Ukrainian financial system to stabilize the country's banks. Approximately $ 1.8 billion were going to the largest financial institution Private Bank, which is controlled by the oligarch Igor Kolomoiski. But instead of investing the money into the Ukrainian economy, Kolomoiski has managed to channel the emergency loans through a network of offshore companies abroad".  Ukrainian anti-corruption project "Our Money" ('Наші гроші' (ukr) = "Nashi Groshi") is quoted as offering an explanation of the scheme, involving a 'purchase' of foreign goods which were never delivered, using a credit from Private Bank, and the payment deposited to accounts in off-shore branches of the Privat Bank. 
- Ukrainian $18 bln debt (held in bonds) will receive a 20% 'haircut'. However, between 2021 and 2040 investors will receive up to 40 per cent of the value of Ukraine’s annual economic growth above 4 per cent, although total payments will be capped at 1 per cent for the first four years.   Ukrainian GDP is 177.4 billion USD (2013) -by google search. It went down quite a lot in 2014; but the IMF projection is 134 bln USD in 2020. One percent of that in growth is 1.3 bln; such amount may be paid to investors for 20 years bringing 26 bln USD. Write-off amount is about 3.6 bln USD. This wonderful deal is called a 'win-win' by Ukrainian finance minister and the Guardian . Franklin Templeton is one of the largest investors involved. Russia has 3 bln USD in Ukrainian debt and is not participating in the deal.(Vasili Muravitskii/Cassad brought up this matter).
- Opolchenie version of events. Rusvesna-news (rusvesna.su, Russian) , (rusvesna.su, English) , (rusnext.ru, Russian).
- Official Donetsk People Republic (DPR) news dan-news.info.
- Oplot TV-Donetsk Live now , youtube channel vk Oplot TV
- First Republican Channel-DPR youtube vk ('official channel of DPR', created in April 2014, and unofficially broadcasting some material online; possibly re-broadcasting Russia 24 in their vacant slots.
- Lugansk People Republic (LPR) news: LPR Sovet (legislature) site, news, luganskallnews.ru, news, lug-info.com
- OSCE SMM-Ukraine
- TASS Chronicle-link to daily updates, (Russian) , TASS - Ukraine (English) (easiest to search).
- Daily Press Briefings - US Department of State
- "Les masques de la revolution", Russian dubbed over French version, Feb. 1, 2016
- 'Times of Donbass' (Italian/Russian), Jan 12, 2016
- 13,3% would vote for the party "Block of Petro Poroshenko"
- 12,8% - for the All-Ukrainian Union "Fatherland" (Yulia Timosenko)
- 6,8% - for the party "Union Samopomich" (Sadovyi)
- 5,8% - for the Radical Party of Oleg Lyashko,
- 4,1% - for the party "Opposition block" (Boyko) --formerly 'Party of Regions'-Yanukovich
- 3,1% - for the party "Civil position"
- 3,0% - for the party "Right Sector"
- 3,2% - have crossed all the parties /spoiled bulletin
- 14,3% - chose not to vote,
- 23,5% - hard to choose,
- 2,6% - refusal
- Source: Socio-Political Situation In Ukraine: July 2015. Report also have opinions on various peace/Russia issues, by region (English).
- In DPR/LPR, polling is done by Center for Sociological Study 'Special Status' (Центр социологических исследований «Особый статус» -russ.) Here is their opening presentation. Poll results are published by news sources.
- DPR poll conducted in the beginning of August in 19 DPR towns, 5900 people took part, 5% statistical error
- 43 % for DPR to join the Russian Federation (33.8% 3 months ago)
- 17 % for DPR to be independent ('sovereign') (42.8 % 3 months ago)
- 18 % for the 'creation of a joint state' (unclear what that would be exactly- some sort of autonomy aligned with Russia)
- 11 % ('not more than') for DPR as a part of Ukraine. 14.9 % see some future with Ukraine following Minsk agreements (18.8 % 3 months ago)
DPR: Donetsk People Republic (prime minister: Alexander Zakharchenko)
LPR: Lugansk People Republic (head: Igor Plotniskii)
JCCC Joint Center for Control and Co-ordination, consists of Ukrainian and Russian military officers,- tries to mediate to have ceasefire implemented.
MLRS: Multiple Launch Rocket System, Grad/Uragan/Smerch. Uragan or Smerch typically have cluster munitions
UAF (=AFU): Ukrainian Armed Forces
NAF (=AFN): Opolchenie, Novorossia Armed Forces
OSCE: Organization for Security and Co‑operation in Europe
RSG: recon and subversion group
SMM: Special Monitoring Mission-OSCE===References===
Here comes a third pi
Very cool! Should be fun to work with, but no promises I'll figure it out just yet. --Caustic Logic 07:35, 4 October 2012 (EST)
Houla (May 25, 2012)
Daraya (August 25, 2012)
Tremseh (July 12, 2012)
Sari Saoud (November 26, 2011)
- Deutsche Wirtschafts Nachrichten, "Ukrainischer Oligarch bereichert sich an IWF-Krediten", 27.08.15
- RT (Russian), "DWN: Коломойский «оприходовал» транш МВФ и скрылся в Америке", 28.08.2015
- Financial Times, "Ukraine secures debt deal for war-ravaged economy", 27.8.2015
- Finance Ministry of Ukraine, Ukraine and the Ad Hoc Creditors' Committee agree on Indicative Heads of Terms for restructuring of sovereign and sovereign guaranteed Eurobonds, 27.8.2015
- The Guardian, Ukraine agrees 'win-win' debt restructuring deal, 27.8.2015