28 Feb. Ukraine shelled DPR 2,373 times in the past day, a sharp increase; about half (1,116) is by heavy weapons. 2 houses were damaged in Kominternovo, 9 in Yasinovataya, one of them burned down.; civilian casualties are being verified. Banned heavy artillery presence near separation line is noted.
13 ceasefire violations in LPR.
Clashes reported between Ukrainian nats. battalions members blocking railway traffic with L/DPR and 'titushki' said to be hired by Akhmetov; first attacks said to be repelled, there are injured but nobody was killed.
EU negotiators agreed to grant visa-free regime to Ukraine (for visa free travel of up to 90 days per 1/2 year and without right to work (rules). Further formal approval steps are expected to be completed soon.
27 Feb. DPR adopted a law on de-facto nationalization of Ukrainian enterprises operating on their territory, including Akhmetov plants. It is said that it was done because of Ukrainian blockade, and steps will be taken to restore supplies, sales, and jobs.
26 Feb. Basurin: Ukraine forced radical nationalists away from Donetsk water filtering station (Engl.). Also in the report: Ukraine shelled DPR 761 times in the past day, one civilian was wounded (Engl.)
25 Feb. Security situation sharply deteriorated, Ukraine shelled DPR 2161 times in the past day, 846 from heavy weapons. One DPR soldier was wounded. (This coincides with Savchenko and Ruban visiting DPR on the issue of prisoners exchange).
Basurin:Ukrainian militants captured Donetsk filtering station overnight , and used it to shell DPR territory, knowing that DPR will not return fire. (Full report talks about activization of nationalists in particular- Engl. ; (video). Cassad posts announcement of filtering station personnel deciding to stop work and evacuate, and photos of damage at the station.
- It is said that filtering station was earlier left by DPR forces, to prevent shelling. The result was, more shelling, followed by capture by Ukrainian militants (said to be 'Azov' in Cassad post).
24 Feb. Donetsk filtering station received 6 hits in Ukrainian shelling overnight, buildings, including the one housing chlorine, were damaged (DAN News -Engl)
In the past week, Ukraine shelled DPR 9,360 times, including 3,354 times from heavy weapons. Two DPR soldiers were killed and five were wounded.
Notorious MP Alexey Goncharenko (Poroshenko block) is said to be 'kidnapped' in Odessa by unknowns; Ukraine blamed 'separatists'. (Remembered for photographing defender corpse after Odessa Massacre, 2014).
- But soon after, 'saved', and Kushnarenko father blamed for 'ordering kidnapping' (possibly staged; they say it's not).
- Timer-Odessa confirms that kidnapping was staged by law enforcement; but keeps accusing Kucherenko father of plotting to do it with a group of accomplices.
22 Feb. DPR shelled by Ukraine 674 times in the past day (supposed ceasefire), 2 DPR soldiers were wounded.
According to DPR, Ukraine does not plan in the near future to withdraw heavy weapons.
Ukrainian minister of Defense Poltorak: reports on combat readiness, 37,000 UAF soldiers are deployed 'on the contact line'. (Noted: tomorrow is the Soviet 'Red Army' holiday).
Yelenovka checkpoint came under Ukrainian fire (despite the ceasefire).
Withdrawal of heavy weapons is planned for 21 Feb.
19 Feb. Some clashes on Maidan, police and national guard in control, Semen Semchenko (now MP) present and makes some commotion (report, photos, video). Arrests, injuries reported, including 'OUN' battalion commander Kohanovskii.
DPR reports worsening security situation for the past day, shelling count is 2453, with about half from heavy weapons. Donetsk water filtering station lost power, DPR says as a result of intentional shelling. (Russ.)(Engl)
18 Feb. Putin signs an executive order recognizing documents and vehicle registration plates issued by the DPR and LPR. The move was cheered in L/DPR, and criticized by Ukraine and by US Embassy in Kiev.
Two years and a bit after Minsk-2 agreements, Zakharchenko and Plotniskii scheduled a joint press conference in Lugansk, with the topic not revealed in advance.
- 'DPR, LPR announce start of humanitarian programme for occupied Donbass', DAN news (Engl.) (Russ.)
- ДНР и ЛНР готовы освободить подконтрольные Киеву районы Донбасса военным путём (+ВИДЕО), Rusvesna (if peaceful means will not work than ...) - Zakharchenko and Plotniskii
Ukraine shelled Yasinovataya outskirts with Grads.
Energy blockade was started by Ukrainian nats bats (Semchenko et al) at the end of January, 2017, preventing shipments of anthracites coal from L/DPR republics to Ukraine. That blockade led to energy crisis and energy emergency situation in Ukraine, as power stations were designed to use anthracites type of coal. Blockade was criticized by Poroshenko.
15 Feb. Protesters prompt OSCE observers to carry out reinspection in western Donetsk (not commented on OSCE site yet).
14 Feb. One DPR soldier was killed in the past day.
Big explosion at at Donetsk state chemical plant is reported, as a result of Ukrainian shelling (video). Plant is producing explosives for mining and military. Blast is similar to earlier ones (here). There are casualties; 1 civilian is reported killed. Windows in a hospital and 11 houses nearby were shattered. DPR video shows big crater and quick chemical weapons tests (iprit test shown) they decided to run after seeing unusual cloud; they came back negative.
DPR: Failed UAF attacked on Kominternovo, 5 UAF soldiers were killed.
Opolchenie report on continued shelling, including heavy weapons, MLRS. Donetsk water treatment plant containing 4 tonnes of chlorine is in the area of Ukrainian shelling in particular.
13 Feb. 1 DPR soldier was killed in the past day, DPR shelled 509 times (sit-rep).
11 Feb. DPR was shelled 438 times, at least 2 houses damaged, banned weapons used and more spotted, 1 DPR soldier wounded.
10 Feb. DPR and LPR (finally) are preparing laws requiring operating there 'non-resident' companies, like Akhmetov plants, to pay them taxes. Currently taxes are paid to Ukraine, and as LPR public council chairman Zaporoztsev put it, 'some of that profit returns to us, but in the form of artillery and mortar shells and other means of destruction. Those plants have been built by our fathers and grandfathers, but now not only they do not receive their pensions, but have to suffer from shelling and destruction of their homes'.
"DPR offers truce, Ukraine answers with shells and OSCE just don't care" -DoNi (Engl.) report and Engl. -captioned video.
DPR, LPR people's councils chairmen issued joint appeal to world leaders, Russia, USA, Germany, to stop genocide in Donbass. At present the appeal was signed by over 62 thousand people in DPR, 56.6 thousand in LPR (Regular shelling, targeting water supplines, industrial objects with potentially catastrophic consequences described in the appeal).
Poroshenko rejected 'holding elections under presence of foreign troops' , in response to comments by German ambassador. This is despite Minsk agreements to have elections before Ukraine gains border control.
8 Feb. Prominent commander of DPR "Somali" batallion Mikhail "Givi" Tolstykh is assassinated in his office, said to be by a shot from "Shmel' portable thermobaric rocket. DPR blamed Ukraine for the assassination. Givi supported DPR leadership; had ascetic lifestyle.
- Photo gallery-MK.
- Life news interview with Givi on 3 Feb, after Ukrainian attack on Avdeevka was repelled, including by "Sparta" (Motorola) and "Somali" (Givi). 'Somali' lost several fighters and Givi was lightly wounded, but was back the next day. Givi says that Ukrainian side had higher losses and was resorting to shelling civilian areas; and that his side did not extend a counter-attack further as he was following Minsk agreements.
- Interview with 'Somali' HQ chief (refutes fakes, like 'opolchenie member claiming responsibility', earlier one on Givi planning to leave, etc)
- DPR investigators confirmed that IED is considered as a possibility (while some outsiders say, definitely not Shmel).
DPR was shelled by Ukraine 775 times in the past day. DPR accused Ukraine of preparing to mine and prepare to explode Avdeevka coke plant; such explosion can lead to ecological catastrophe.
Report and video from the south, near Mariupol, Shirokino. Regular shelling at night, Ukraine deploying more forces, Ukrainian attack plans rumored.
- Weather. In the last 2 weeks, night temperatures were hitting near -20 Celsius (-4 Fahrenheit). Heating in large residential areas is central, one boiler plant per several multi-storey houses; those heating plants were often knocked off by damaged electric power supply and by direct hits. This created difficult conditions for civilian population. There were reports on interrupted supply; a recent report that a DPR soldier guarding repair workers fixing power grid was killed by Ukrainian sniper, repairs had to stop; etc.
6 Feb. Radical Party leader Oleg Lyashko has his 10-year US visa issued in December 2016 revoked.
4 Feb. President Poroshenko has his first phone call with Trump.
LPR. Chief of the People's Militia Department Oleg Anashenko killed in a car explosion. Ukraine is blamed, an Ukrainian officer later said to be arrested (Russian sources here, quoting LPR ministry of security sources).
- From 1 Jan. 2017 to 2 Feb, 31 people killed (27 soldiers, 4 civilians), 87 wounded (40 soldiers, 47 civilians, including 2 children under 18)
- Last week (27 Jan-2 Feb.): 19 killed (15 soldiers; + 4 civilians killed in shelling of Donetsk and Makeevka); 59 wounded (17 soldiers and 42 civilians, including 2 children).
2 Feb. DPR was shelled 1617 times in the past day (including 374 times by heavy artillery, 40 by MLRS). 38 houses were damaged. One DPR soldier was killed and one injured. A civilian man in Makeevka had his arm severed (DAN news).
Opposition figure and ex-PM Yulia Tymoshenko meets with Trump.
In the past day, Ukraine shelled DPR 3016 times (including heavy artillery, 839 times, and MRLS, 490 times). There are destroyed houses and civilian casualties, it is reported that 2 civilians were killed and 2 wounded (some intersection possible with previous day report, and more casualty reports are coming in).
Water supply to Donetsk and parts of Makeevka is completely interrupted as filtering station lost power.
Tail part of Buk missile fell on Makeevka, according to report with photos. It is said that Ukraine tried to shoot down an OSCE drone with it, firing Buk from a vicinity of Avdeevka.
Ambulance was hit in Donetsk by Ukrainian fire, 3 civilians were wounded (report and photos).