- 1 North Korea
- 1.1 Weapons program
- 1.2 Six party talks
- 1.3 State Sponsors of Terrorism?
- 1.4 Syria ???
- 1.5 Female troops
- 1.6 NK Special Tactical Forces
- 1.7 US strike group
- 1.8 OPLAN 5027
- 1.9 Russian maneuvers
- 1.10 Further developments
- 1.11 Any peaceful settlement?
- 1.12 Sing a song maybe?
- 1.13 Missiles Claims
- 1.14 Other Opinions?
- 1.15 Russian proposal
- 1.16 2018
- 1.17 2019
- 1.18 2020
- 2 Middle East
- 3 Russia/China
- 4 Former Yugoslavia
- 5 Romania
- 6 Former USSR
- 7 Venezuela
- 8 The West
- 9 Finland
- 10 Israeli–Palestinian talks
- 11 China/India
- 12 India/Pakistan
- 13 Afghanistan
- North Korea H-bomb claim is unverified, no independent confirmation at this point. Low yield explosion, 4-10 kT was an estimate.
N. Korea Claims Successful Test of Submarine-Fired Missile, NY Times, by Associated Press, 23 Apr 2016 --Resup (talk) 13:47, 24 April 2016 (UTC)
- Aljazeera, has some photo (origin unclear)
- North Korea's 'biggest' nuclear test sparks sanctions push, BBC, Sept. 9, 2016
- What to look for in North Korea's fifth nuclear test, BBC, Sept. 9, 2016
- North Korea's 'higher-level' nuclear test explosion sets the region on edge, LA Times, Sept. 9, 2016
- North Korea announces successful nuclear warhead test — Korean Central News Agency, TASS (Eng.), Sept. 9, 2016
- North Korea possibly carried out another nuclear test — Japanese TV -TASS, 3 September, 2017; NK claimed successful H-bomb test-TASS (Rus).
- Seoul: N. Korea believed to have conducted 6th nuclear test -AP, 3 September, 2017 (with a Kim-and-something photo).
- North Korea nuclear test: 'Tunnel collapse' may provide clues -BBC, 3 September, 2017
- Earthquake 6.3 on the Richter scale; 100-150 kilotonnes preliminary estimate
Six party talks
State Sponsors of Terrorism?
- Not on US State Department list (as of Sept 3, 2017)
- House votes to move toward designating North Korea as state sponsor of terror -The Hill, 3 April, 2017
- It is commonly believed by several Americans and Western Europeans that North Korea secretly supports ISIL (ISIS).In addition, the nation regularly aids Islamic terrorists through training and selling weapons. The nation backs Hamas in the ongoing Fatah-Hamas conflict, and has close ties to Iran and Syria, who are also blacklisted nations. (???)
- North Korea missiles: US warships deployed to Korean peninsula -BBC, 9 April, 2017
- Fears grow North Korea could SELL nuclear secrets to ISIS in terrifying coalition (?) -Sunday Express, 30 March, 2016
- Fears North Korea crisis could increase risk of larger attacks from ISIS and other terror groups(?) -The Mirror, 11 August, 2017
Party/Kim Jong-un approved, Donald's Miss World worthy, all-female quality pop/classic band Moranbong failed honey-trapping attempts documented here:
- 'Without a break'--glorifying Kim and ballistic missile / Kwangmyongsong-4 satellite launches; here a different version with Korean subtitles and some troops training promo.
- "Let's Learn"--praising virtues of education (anti-Berkeley style obviously)
- World's top-pop popurri, quite HQ, all the way to Romeo & Juliett , etc.
- First concert- Kim Jong Un attending, Jul. 2012
Kim Jong Nam assassination in Malaysia
- Kim Jong-un's half-brother dies after 'attack' at airport in Malaysia- The Guardian, 14 Feb. 2017
- CCTV video --this version published 20 Feb. 2017.
- Leaked Footage Purportedly Shows Kim Jong Nam's Assassination- Fox News, 20 Feb. 2017
NK Special Tactical Forces
- NK Special Tactical Forces were shown off at the parade, 15 Apr. 2017, with night vision and, apparently, Kalashnikovs with large capacity screw motion magazines (шнековый магазин). Report-RIA, 17 Apr. 2017, and training video (this one from Sep 4, 2016).
US strike group
+ see your favorite MSM for more.
- "North Korean hackers have stolen top secret US war plans" - Daily Star (tabloid), 5 April, 2017
12 Apr. 2017. Maneuvers, with east-and-west fly-by in neutral waters around Japan, involving Tu 142 (maritime/anti-submarine version of the 'Bear' Tu 95 (launching missiles here) . It is also said that as part of training exercise Mig 31 'intercepted a cruise missile of a possible adversary in stratosphere', ant large anti-submarine ships "Admiral Panteleyev" and "Admiral Vinogradov" repelled a training air attack.
14 Apr. 2017 Russia has reportedly moved military vehicles, including air defense systems (9K33 Osa?) into Vladivostok, a city not far from the border with North Korea (already-happened.com). This movement could be due to incoming Military Parade (9 May, Russia; 15 Apr, NK)
15 Apr. 2017. Photos from a military parade in North Korea shows ballistic missiles, anti-aircraft systems
- Parade videos: (8:32 length) (2:23:51) (Putin dominating Obama cartoon somewhere midway...)
- Military parade reveals North Korea’s new road-mobile intercontinental ballistic missiles- defence-blog.com
26 Apr. 2017 'Secret briefing on Trump’s Korea plan', all 100 senators summoned to the White House The Times
- (Also: big tax cut plans announced, markets rally, etc.)
28 Apr. "There is a chance that we could end up having a major, major conflict with North Korea. Absolutely," Trump told Reuters in an Oval Office interview ahead of his 100th day. "We'd love to solve things diplomatically but it's very difficult," , as quoted by Reuters.
- The US says it will not call for a UN Security Council meeting over North Korea's missile tests because it would produce "nothing of consequence" (not enough support by Russia and/or China?)
- Russia expresses 'great concern' but against 'economic strangulation' at UNSC; supports joint with China plan via more negotiations. (May be related to itself being under sanctions.)
August 8, 2017 With the latest spat and weapons program development, heading into a difficult situation. Sanctions won't change behavior quickly. Support from Russia and China is at most lukewarm, and even that, not for granted (some Russian ex-mil, and nationalists, are openly critical, not surprisingly in present climate). Using hard power, not impossible, but is it affordable? --Not on my watch, thankfully --Resup (talk) 01:23, 9 August 2017 (UTC)
Liberal US media:
- Only Morons Believe What The US Government Says About North Korea -Caitlin Johnstone, Medium, 8 August, 2017
- Why North Korea Needs Nukes - And How To End That - b, Moon of Alabama, 14 April, 2017, and quoting Xinhua, 3 March, 2017
- A point missed is NK cat-and-mouse tactics of mischief followed by a fix, and steady progress of weapons development in the background. US diplomacy tried but was unable to fix the problem, and it's getting late in the day now. Greater and higher quality international cooperation could have solved it, but it did not happen in the past and momentum goes opposite way at this point. In particular Russia, with its dual Western-Eastern mindset, not just Eastern like Koreas and China, could have played a crucial role here, under right circumstances (+many NK weapons are derivative from Soviet, too);-- but it's far from automatic, and I do not see those circumstances currently in place, at all (modulo any behind the scenes miracles--but climate is not right here too). --Resup (talk) 21:10, 9 August 2017 (UTC)
Illiberal US media recommends the opposite.
- The Key to Countering North Korea Lies Offshore - Bloomberg, August 8, 2017
- China's demand that the U.S. cease joint naval exercises off the coast should be firmly rejected.
- "B-1 Bombers Key to a U.S. Plan to Strike North Korean Missile Site" -NBC News, 10 Aug, 2017
KPA Will Take Practical Action: Commander of Strategic Force -www.kcna.kp/, published 10 Aug, stated on 9 Aug, 2017
- The Hwasong-12 rockets to be launched by the KPA will cross the sky above Shimane, Hiroshima and Kochi Prefectures of Japan. They will fly 3,356.7 km for 1 065 seconds and hit the waters 30 to 40 km away from Guam.
"КНДР нам стала еще более ненавистной" (North Korea has become even more hateful to us), a report from the border of North Korea and China - Novaya Gazeta, August 17, 2017
- Many companies involved in trade of seafood from North Korea are preparing to close. The last truck with frozen fish passed through the border in Chuanhe late in the evening on Tuesday, August 15.
- In Chinese social networks, there were "proposals": in case of an armed conflict between the United States and North Korea, China should occupy the North of the DPRK to ensure the security of North Korean nuclear facilities and prevent radiation and chemical contamination of Chinese territory. In the opinion of the commentators, it was precisely for solving these problems that a new special parachute brigade of the Northern Command of the People's Liberation Army of China was formed in the vicinity of Changchun.
Что делают наши Ту-95 и "летающие радары" в районе Корейского полуострова ('What do our Tu-95 and "flying radars" in the area of the Korean peninsula') - RIA, 24 August, 2017
NK trains for an attack on South Korea islands: Pyongyang, August 26, 2017 (KCNA). A target-striking contest of the special operation forces of the Korean People's Army (KPA) to occupy islands took place on the Day of Songun, the 57th anniversary of leader Kim Jong Il's start of the Songun revolutionary leadership. Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea and chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the DPRK, guided the target-strike contest ...Airplanes which received an order for sortie ceaselessly hit hard the enemy targets. And multiple-missile launchers of different calibers and self-propelled gun howitzers fired in salvo. Shells hit the islands simulating Paekryong and Big Yonphyong islands. A combat of the special operation forces to occupy the islands of the enemy started. Combatants, who landed on enemy targets after dropping from light transports flying at a low altitude and infiltrated by stealth into the islands from underwater, rained fire at the enemy before they came to their senses.
19 September, 2017. Trump speech at the UN. North Korea ('Rocket man', etc), Iran, Syria issues addressed in particular.
"If North Korea Fires an ICBM, the US Might Have to Shoot It Down Over Russia" - Defense One.com, 28 September, 2017
12 October, 2017. TASS, quoting Trump interview to Fox News: 'calm before the storm' refers to the situation with North Korea.
- TRUMP: We can't let this to go on. We just can't. Now, you can say what you want. This should have been handled 25 years ago. It should have been handled 20 years ago, and 10 years ago and five years ago.
- TRUMP: I think I have a different attitude on North Korea than other people might have. And I listen to everybody. But ultimately, my attitude is the one that matters, isn't it? That's the way it works. That's the way the system is.
- But I think I might have a somewhat different attitude and a different way than other people. I think perhaps I feel stronger and tougher on that subject than other people.
- GENERAL KELLY: The American people should be concerned about a state that has developed a pretty good ICBM capability and is developing a pretty good nuclear reentry vehicle. I would believe -- I think I speak for the administration -- that that state simply cannot have the ability to reach the homeland and, for that matter -- well, the homeland.
- Right now, there's great concern about a lot of Americans that live in Guam. Right now, we think the threat is manageable, but over time, if it grows beyond where it is today -- well, let's hope diplomacy works.
- 3:27 AM 'East of Japan'; 11:20 AM 'returning to base'
11 November, 2017. It is said that in October, North Korea informed Putin (via Matvienko) of its readiness to launch a nuclear strike against the United States-source. (Information was passed on to USA).
- The fact that letter was received was first reported on October 16, 2017. It was 'partially published' (somewhere, presumably mass media), and what was received was a 'full text' , 'an original', 'in Korean'.
Any peaceful settlement?
It's a long shot obviously, especially at present levels of rhetoric (and weapons development too). But in a better setting, along the lines of NK giving up nuclear and missile program in return for (1) inviolable security guarantees (possibly involving friendly troops deployed, Chinese or maybe, less likely, Russian, just to make sure there is no attack on nuclear-free state) (2) lifting economic sanctions. Something lesser than this--well I don't mind if it works but do not see how. --Resup (talk) 13:16, 10 August 2017 (UTC)
- КНДР предложили взять пример с Казахстана и отказаться от ядерного оружия- ТАСС, 3 января, 1:51 UTC+3 --Resup (talk) 23:04, 2 January 2018 (UTC)
- Permanent representative of Kazakhstan to the United Nations, Kairat Umarov press briefing: Kazakhstan has set a good example for North Korea ... "We believe that North Korea can follow this example, I know that they have their arguments, they cite Libya and other countries as an example, but you know, I'm sure, that Russia and China may not allow this, there are good conditions for nothing bad to happen in this region, "Umarov said.
Sing a song maybe?
Two Koreas, separately, sing the same song, "Blood type", of a Russian rock superstar Victor Tsoi of a Korean ancestry.
- North Korea
- South Korea
- Yankees sing Tsoi, too -- BRAZZAVILLE, "Star Called Sun" 1, 2...
- North Korea’s “not quite” ICBM can’t hit the lower 48 states -Theodore A. Postol, Markus Schiller, Robert Schmucker, Bulletin of the Atomic Scientist, 11 August 2017
- Hope to take a look later having more time. In quick glance, it's not really known whether lighter version was launched, maybe, or maybe not, so maybe can hit, maybe not. Also, on easy side, they could keep the engine but put bigger tanks (for example), to counter heavier load. Conjecturaly not hitting is not really good enough, and it can be further developed. --Resup (talk) 19:18, 14 August 2017 (UTC)
- The secret to North Korea’s ICBM success - Michael Elleman, IISS voices, 14 August 2017
- Prankers Vovan and Lexus interview Yuzhmash general director Sergey Voit (audio)(article) - Vesti, 16 August, 2017
- nothing really major but he mentions some contracts and technical assistance between Design Bureau "Yuzhnoye" and China and a bit with (North?) Korea. He is not privy to details of those contacts, but says that something could be happening via China. Documentation and few Tsiklon missiles are also in Russia. He does not have anything definite to say.
- According to mainstream Western media reports, 'New Baghdadi tape' posted by Islamic State group have some comments about 'recent North Korean threats against Japan and the US.' (BBC, 28 September, 2017).
TASS, November 27, 2017. Quite different in length and tone between Russian and English versions. In essence, advocates freeze in testing in exchange for stopping Western training maneuvers, similarly to Chinese plan from a while back. There is less confidence in the English version that this proposal is going to work though.
... Post-Olympiad and two Koreas meeting, Trump-Kim Jong Un summit announced ....
24 May, 2018, the summit is cancelled
- Joint statement, (3): Reaffirming the April 27, 2018 Panmunjom Declaration, the DPRK commits to work towards complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.
- Panmunjom Declaration, (4): South and North Korea confirmed the common goal of realising, through complete denuclearisation, a nuclear-free Korean Peninsula. South and North Korea shared the view that the measures being initiated by North Korea are very meaningful and crucial for the denuclearisation of the Korean peninsula and agreed to carry out their respective roles and responsibilities in this regard. South and North Korea agreed to actively seek the support and cooperation of the international community for the denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula.
- Two North Korean news reports on the second US summit (pitched pro-peace, with Kim Jong Un footage-and-music ending). Eng., Rus., DPRK TV: 2019 DPRK – United States Hanoi Summit
- Kim Jong Un arrival by train to Vladivostok, video, with goosestepping, military band performing popular WW2 era songs, running bodyguards covering his car, photogs running too, some falling short, and all that , 27 April 2019
- Another Vladivostok summit video report, 28 April 2019
31 Dec. Trump repeats that the surprise present he wants from Kim is "a vase", "not something else".
2 Jan. US ambassador to the UN warns North Korea against nuclear and/or missile testing, a video linked here.
April 26, 2019. Apparently a new video of Kim Jong-un, amid speculations about his health (authenticity, unknown). Whilst South Korean media report him sending greetings and believe him to be staying in Wonsan.
More photos of Kim Jong-un, now shown opening fertilizer plant; one photo includes a poster/installation on a building displaying date May 1, 2020
On a separate page
- King Abdullah of Jordan leaked memo, The Guardian, March 25, 2016. Many issues, including Turkish policy of supporting radical islamists.
- King Abdullah Of Jordan addresses UN general assembly, Sep 29, 2015
- Russia Tests Hypersonic Glide Vehicle on Missile, Free Beacon, April 22, 2016
- China Again Tests Nuclear Hypersonic Missile, Free Beacon, November 25, 2015
- China Flight Tests New Multiple-Warhead Missile, Free Beacon, April 19, 2016
Hypersonic gliders, when fully designed and deployed, will render US missile defense, as currently envisioned, useless (though of course arms race can go forever). Missile defense stated purpose was countering 'rogue statues' like North Korea and Iran, however it is logical to assume (and what's important, that assumption was in fact made by leadership in Russia and China) that it's real purpose is to have an advantage over important major adversaries, Russia and China. It was (or appears to be) a major USA policy failure , as deployment of missile defense near borders was viewed as a military challenge by major US adversaries. Moreover, it was combined with appeasement of minor rogues, who as a result were given opportunity to develop their own programs to dangerous pre-nuclear/entry nuclear levels, and on top of that aligned themselves with Russia-China. We seem to be entering a dangerous uncontrolled arms race of very expensive and powerful weapons, where no party is economically strong enough to really afford such expense, or prevail. It may be time for a serious revision and introducing reasonable international and domestic policies, with reduced military adversary between USA and Russia, attention shifted to domestic progress and economic growth, and combined with strongly enforced non-proliferation, instead of the current state of madness. (RS, April 2016.)
- French General Truth About NATO Bombing of Yugoslavia 1999, in 2 parts, Eng. sub., November 9, 2011
- A retired Brigadier-General Pierre Marie Gallois of French army testifies in the front of a camera of his involvement in a secret meetings held in Germany. He explains the long existed plan for the destruction of Yugoslavia.
- See also: Markale Market attacks.
- Global Research, by Giullietto Chiesa, 12 August 2016
- "The ICTY (International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia) has discharged Slobodan Milosevic from 1992-95 Bosnian war crimes allegations."
- The claim in this and similar publications is based on paragraph 3460 and footnotes, page 1303, of Radovan Karadžić ruling, International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia, 24 March, 2016. It shows that Milosevic had objections to Bosnian Serb actions.
- (NATO bombing of Yugoslavia in 1999, under Clinton-Albright, came about as part of later warfare in Kosovo, not Bosnia events).
- "Serb nationalist Vojislav Šešelj acquitted of war crimes at The Hague", The Guardian, 31 March 2016.
- Joe Biden’s Visit to Serbia Is Protested by Hundreds of People Shouting ‘Vote for Trump!’ ijr.com. Protest was organised by Vojislav Šešelj.
- Earlier Joe Biden controversy, referring to an interview given on Larry King Live, 1 Aug 1993, is investigated in this blog, May 21, 2009
- Highlights in Huffington Post, May 25, 2011
- "Biden’s Racist Slurs and Searing Insults Documented", de-construct.net, May 15th, 2009
- 20 March, 2019. Radovan Karadžić sentence was increased to life in prison (IRMCT)(Echo Moskvy)(Cassad).
- Cassad article includes a self-link to the translated interview of a former CIA agent Robert Baer, whose account deviates from the official version. The link to the original article is no longer available. A similar-looking interview appeared in Western sources in 2015, eg here.
- Montenegro finds itself at heart of tensions with Russia as it joins Nato -The Guardian, 25 May 2017
- Indictment tells murky Montenegrin coup tale -Politico, 25 May 2017
- Duško Marković thanks Trump for his support, 26 May 2017 , after "the situation" during NATO Photo op
- 'Second GRU Officer Indicted in Montenegro Coup Unmasked' -Bellingcat|/Insider, Newsru, November 22, 2018
- HMS Duncan Navy sailors recalled to warship in aftermath of Salisbury nerve agent poisoning over fears of attack while ashore -Telegraph, November 24, 2018; TASS
Mar. 17, 2019. Opposition tried to take control of Serbian public radio and television broadcasting company (РТС, Радио-телевизија Србије). They succeeded in capturing parts of the building, before arriving police rapid reaction force led them out of the building, without using brute force.
In Serbia, protesters broke through the fence at the presidential palace (photo, video)-Rusvesna, March 17, 2018
The Romanian Prosecutor’s Office indicted the leaders of the 1989 revolution, which ended in the overthrow of the dictatorship and the execution of the dictator Nicolae Ceausescu. As the Romanian edition of Hotnews writes, the charge was brought against the former President of Romania, Ion Iliescu, the former Prime Minister Peter Roman and two other former high-ranking offenders against crimes against humanity. The case became known as the Romanian Revolution of December 1989 (strana.ua; Cassad, January 4/5, 2019; photo, here).
- Aerial video of 'Day of Freedom' meeting dispersal; more in playlist, TUT.by, 25 March, 2017
- April 2, 2016. Clashes on all front line reported, sides accused each other, Russia called for calm TASS (Eng)
- Maps, photos, videos (including self-propelled 'Akatsia' artillery on the streets of Stepanokert, Nagornyi Krabakh capital) on Cassad blog
- Rusvesna copies Azerbaijan military report, which appears to be a serious escalation by Azerbaijan forces. Azerbaijan estimates Armenian soldiers killed at 100, Armenia estimates Azerbaijan losses at 50. A number of tanks destroyed on both sides. Casualty reports are unverified; Azerbaijan said 12 of its soldiers were killed and a helicopter shot down.
- Armenian activist Arman Boshan says that Azerbaijan attack was repelled; links Turkey-Syria-Donbass events as well as US influence with the current escalation (in particular, relaying his uneasiness regarding recent meetings of Azerbaijan president Aliev in USA).
- Details on Aliev visit to USA, Azerbaijan president transcript, March 31, 2016- Kerry calls for an 'ultimate resolution' of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
- Donetsk war correspondent Andrey Filatov tells (around 34:00) that in the beginning of March he received repeated similar questions from Russian arts students who were offered by Western sponsors to go to Nagornyi Karabakh or Azerbaijan to film, record how people feel about life there (he relates this observation with broader attempts to set fire to Russian near abroad in the Caucuses and Middle Asia republics).
- Another interview with 'a competent source in Yerevan' mostly blames internal political situation in Azerbaijan for the escalation.
- PM of Turkey expressed support to Azerbaijan
- Kerry urged restrain
- There was a second attack by Azerbaijan at night. According to the source, the advance was stopped, andNagornyi Karabakh troops counter-attacked... The attack, in its main direction was repelled, with large losses in manpower and equipment. In some places, clashes continues. Situation remain tense. (Earlier, Azerbaijan announced cessation of fire, but that proved to be inaccurate).
- It is said that Armenia sent tactical missiles and heavy artillery to Nagornyi Karabakh-report and photos.
- Cassad update, maps (Azerbaijani version), photos
- Apr 2, 2016 Armenian official briefing
- Apr 3, 2016. In the morning , Azerbaijan shelled Karabakh positions. Subsequently, it announced cessation of all military activities. However, according to Armenian sources the fighting continues (TASS) (Armenian news)
- Azerbaijan, Iran FM will discuss Nagorno-Karabakh
- Ceasefire from 11:00 AM on 5 April announced, said to be confirmed by both sides.
Both (Azerbaijan and Armenia) were ceded by Iran to Russia after several Russo-Persian wars (1804–13 and 1826–28) and subsequent treaties, treaty of Gulistan and treaty of Turkmenchay. Soon after the latter treaty, Russian ambassador Griboedov, a famous writer, was killed in Tehran in an incident involving people taking refuge at the Russian Embassy, which was stormed as a result.
95 % Muslim, with 85% of those Shia, according to Wikipedia, although in Soviet times religious identity was vague at most. Remains quite close to Russia (member of CIS, although not of Customs Union, while Armenia is in both). But also pretty good relations with Turkey (and some, with Israel).
Weapons are mostly Soviet or Russian made, with substantial purchases after the collapse of the USSR.
In USSR times, Nagornyi Karabakh, a mountainous area, was an autonomous region/republic in Azerbaijan, populated by native Armenians. By late 1980's a strong movement for Karabakh to join Armenia emerged, leading to conflicts.
Some of the greats born in Azerbaijan include: chess champ Garry Kasparov; Muslim Magomaev, one of the top USSR classical-range singer who turned to popular music.
Own version of Christianity, from 301 CE.
Quite close to Russia, but younger generation turn to be more pro-reform/pro Western.
See also: Electric Yerevan.
June 2019, disturbances in Georgia.
- Unrest in Georgia: How the factor of Russia brought young people were to the streets, by George Kukhaleishvili, 112.ua, last updated June 22, 2019
- The author provides some little-covered facts; he is not at all pro-Russian, and his article is published by Ukrainian news site 112.ua. Disturbances started in the morning of June 20, after a Russian delegate and president of an Orthodox assembly, meeting inside the Georgia parliament, took the Speaker seat to address the Assembly. Protests were led by United National Movement party, founded by Saakashvili. The ruling coalition, Georgia dream, made steps to improve relations with Russia (but allowed some anti-Russian rhetoric following the events)
- 21 June. Putin issued an executive order suspending flights and tourism from Russia to Georgia.
- 22 June. Russian transportation ministry suspended flights of Georgian companies to Russia from July 8, motivating this by unpaid debt of those companies.
Those steps will have an economic effect. Other/longer term consequences are hard to predict, relations are quite complicated, with Abkhazia and South Ossetia among the contributing factors.
Putin on non-introduction of sanctions on Georgia- meeting with journalists, 9 July, 2019
Kremlin says overnight reports on Uzbek leader's death were not confirmed, The Kremlin knows only that the Uzbek leader is ill , August 30, 2016
- Aljazeera: Uzbek President Islam Karimov 'in intensive care'
- Fergana newspaper claimed his death (Fergana region has seen inter-ethnic clashes and instability in the 90's after the USSR dissolution)
- In office since 1990 (and the com. party first secretary prior to that). Uzbekistan profile - Leaders, BBC, 31 March 2015.
- Instability and/or rise of islamists are feared. Official replacement was not named.
01.09.16 Fergana news publishes updated report saying that Karimov funeral will be held this Saturday, 3 September, in Samarkand.
02.09.16 Official announcement says that Karimov condition suddenly deteriorated and is now considered critical
- "Uzbek President Karimov has died: diplomatic sources", Reuters
- Uzbekistan President Islam Karimov 'critically ill' , BBC
TASS photo tribute, 02.09.2016
Will Central Asia explode after death of Karimov?, Avraam Shmulevich, TSN.ua (in Russian). Recalls history (quite artificial national, language, ethnic borders), and talks about potential for instability, driven by rise of Islamism or selfish external players, if clans and elites will not quickly agree on transition of power.
- During the assault in Koy-Tash, the deputy commander of the special forces of the GKNB "Alpha" died - 24.kg, August 8, 2019
- During the storming of the house of the former president of the country in Koy-Tash, Lt. Col. Usen Niyazbekov, deputy commander of the special forces of the GKNB "Alpha", was killed. That was confirmed to 24.kg by the Bishkek Research Center for Traumatology and Orthopedics. It is said that he was in charge of the special operation in Koy-Tash.
- One GKNB special forces officer (ie Niyazbekov) received a gunshot wound. He died in the hospital. The head of the Central Internal Affairs Directorate of the Chuy region had his skull broken. He's in a coma.
- Almazbek Atambayev surrenders to special forces - video with Russian subs, posted by Lentach, VK, August 8, 2019
- Peaceful surrender is an episode from a massive armed standoff between supporters of the former president Atambaev, who voluntary stepped down in 2017, and special forces trying to arrest him, acting on behalf of the current president - his former friend and ally. A heavy-built unarmed man addressed as "Kursan" leading him away "expresses gratitude" to Atambaev and says that "everything will be decided following the law"."Nobody will harm your guys, I promise". He then counts 13 machine guns, 2 pistols, 35 Kalashnikov magazines, and unloads and takes with him an SVD sniper rifle; those weapons were taken from Atambaev supporters. One special forces soldier was killed during the standoff, and several dozen people were wounded.
- "Kursan" is apparently Asanov Kursan Satarovich , knews.kg, Sputnik, see also user comment Молодец Курсан Асанов Сатарович. Сиздин ордунуз министир МВД comment on this youtube version.
- Urgent, Exclusive! Atambayev surrendered to the authorities, with the condition not to touch his supporters !! - published by Nұrlan Köptіleutegі on YouTube on Aug 8, 2019; another copy
- Longer video without Russian subs, mostly in Kyrgyz with occasional Russian. (Noted, SVD rifle picked from barricade near which Atambayev stood while negotiating with Kursan).
- Atambaev was placed in preliminary detention (till August 26) - Rusvesna, August 9, 2019
White Helmets look-a-likes, found by Petri, Injured Venezuela protesters face another woe: finding medicine, Reuters , Apr 26, 2017
During mass protests, a student leader was shot dead, the killer escaped on a motorcycle Rusvesna, 5 May 2017.
6 Aug. 2017. A military base in Venezuela was attacked - RIA; A military mutiny in Venezuela - Cassad, with a video of a small group of soldiers of 41 brigade decaring that they know longer obey Maduro government
Organized deficit in Venezuela. Venezuelan food company caught burying alive millions of chickens -Cassad, 29 January, 2018
- (Also recalls a similar situation in Leningrad, July 1991)
- Soldados de Franelas, Aug. 4, 2018
- ...The operation was to fly over 2 drones loaded with C4 target the presidential box, snipers of the honor guard shot down the drones before reaching the target. We show that they are vulnerable, it was not achieved today but it is a matter of time.
- Покушение на президента Венесуэлы: исполнители, дроны и иностранный след (ФОТО, ВИДЕО) -Rusvesna, Aug. 5, 2018 --Resup (talk) 17:04, 5 August 2018 (UTC)
- Mexican portal Sin Embargo notes that the group "Flannel Soldiers" was established in 2014 and is associated with the rebel police officer Oscar Peres, who was eliminated during a special operation in January 2018. The group positions itself as the union of all the resistance forces at the national level, fighting against Maduro...
- Professor of Tübingen University in the field of earth sciences and anthropometric geography Rainer Rothfuss (Rainer Rothfuß), who held a senior position in the "Human Rights International Society» (IGFM), was removed from his post under pressure from German politicians for interview shown on YouTube channel of News-Front (a channel presenting Russian view on the Ukrainian conflict). German journalist Ken Jebsen investigated. Russian-extract, (German, full), published on April 3, 2016. Comments to the full German video version give more details and raise freedom of speech and human rights issues.
- In Debaltsevo, Ukrainian-American classical pianist Valentina Lisitsa performed Stalingrad Sonata by Prokofiev.
- Lisitsa nterview to KP.ru, by Kots and Steshin, Apr. 22, 2016
- Ukrainian pianist Valentina Lisitsa returns to Toronto after TSO ban, lets her fingers do the talking, Apr. 11, 2016.
- The Politics of Music Programming, Musical Toronto, by Michael Vincent, April 15, 2015
- ЦРУ «атаковало» Финляндию после открытия представительства ДНР и пророссийской позиции президента (АУДИО) ('The CIA "attacked" Finland after the opening of the representation of the DPR and the pro-Russian position of the president (AUDIO)'), Rusvesna, 23 December, 2017 +press conference audio in Rus., Moscow, 19 Dec. 2017
- The Helsinki Saanomat newspaper, on the urging by its NATO and American publishers/punishers (misprint making it a new midway word) , launched a campaign to discredit Suomi President Sauli Niinistö. For this purpose, secret documents of Finnish military intelligence reporting to the head of state were published. This blow was inflicted by journalists of the pro-American Russophobic newspaper Helsinki Saanomat a few days after the politician said that Finland could do without NATO, Finnish political scientist Johan Bäckman told journalists in Moscow.
- Audio also explains the background of how the demilitarised border between Russia and Finland is the best for both
- Ruslan Pankratov tells of similar trends in Latvia -but with no attempt of the leadership to have good relations with Russia, peddling Russian threat stories, discrediting those with different views, + NATO and Russian forces frequent military exercises on opposite sided of the border. (Also, according to Pankratov, only Latvian language in schools from the next year).
- MAPS: SITUATION IN DOKLAM PLATEAU, CHINA-INDIA BORDER STANDOFF -South Front, 22 August, 2017
- CHINA V INDIA: Troops pulled back from border over rising confrontation fears -Express, 28 August, 2017
- Troops have been confronting each other at the Doklam plateau, a territory close to the Indian border maintained by both China and India’s close ally Bhutan, since New Delhi sent armed forces to stop Chinese workmen from building a road there in June.
- Великая Азиатская война отложена (Great Asian War delayed) -Expert.ru, 30 August, 2017
- Aftermath of Taliban attack on Shorabak base (photo/video), Cassad, March 3, 2019
- Cassad: The Taliban claimed more than 300 killed by the enemy (40 of them were Americans), and also indicated that the attack used captured armored personnel carriers that had been captured in the territory of Shorabak. The government denies such heavy losses (Afghan media vaguely claim 40-60 killed) and claims 20-25 killed Taliban militants.
- Taliban fighters try to storm base in Helmand province housing US Marines and Afghan forces -Marine Corps Times, March 2, 2019
- U.S. forces assisted Afghan troops in beating back the Taliban assault with air support, according to Resolute Support. There were no reported U.S. or coalition casualties, but the Washington Post reported that the death toll for Afghan security forces could be as high as 20.
- Taliban forces attack southern Afghan military base as peace talks continue -The Washington Post, March 1, 2019
- March, 2021. Hekmatyar, Talibs, gen. Dostum all showed up for talks in Moscow; Dostum left early.
This category has the following 8 subcategories, out of 8 total.
Pages in category "International"
The following 32 pages are in this category, out of 32 total.
Media in category "International"
The following 22 files are in this category, out of 22 total.
- Belorussian natsbat.jpg 668 × 532; 74 KB
- Countries Best And Worst Prepared For An Epidemic.jpg 1,200 × 1,800; 608 KB
- Ideal citizen sculpture Pavlensky Lithuania.jpg 640 × 960; 150 KB
- Iran Army Day.jpg 624 × 351; 41 KB
- Iran protests Nikki Haley RT.jpeg 2,048 × 1,365; 606 KB
- Jerusalem vote.jpg 800 × 450; 56 KB
- Khamenei rejects Abe's letter from Trump.jpg 1,000 × 667; 173 KB
- Kim Jong-un opens plant.jpg 675 × 465; 99 KB
- Normandy-4 Berlin 2016.jpg 993 × 559; 88 KB
- Obama-Che.jpg 600 × 450; 47 KB
- Pavlensky BF.jpg 1,200 × 672; 79 KB
- Protests at Saudi Arabia Embassy in Tehran.jpeg 600 × 340; 32 KB
- Rubio-Ceausescu.jpg 750 × 891; 101 KB
- Slovak Azov.jpg 444 × 556; 84 KB
- SMM Syria 3 Aug 2018.jpg 1,200 × 675; 96 KB
- Syria opposition meeting.jpg 640 × 427; 51 KB
- Turkish border as seen from Syria.jpg 1,000 × 541; 206 KB
- UNSC Israel.jpg 1,024 × 683; 202 KB
- Us bases according to turkey.jpg 1,200 × 916; 142 KB
- US tanks in Poland.jpg 696 × 329; 34 KB
- Yanukovich 21 Feb 2014.jpg 870 × 590; 62 KB
- Yuzovskii Shale Gas Field.jpg 604 × 869; 56 KB