See also Syrian Government Forces
July 7. Another report that Castillo road is under 'fire control' and southern part of al-Mallah farms is taken by SAA- Rusvesna report and maps, quoting in particular Al-Mayadeen reports from the scene. --Resup (talk) 10:45, 7 July 2016 (UTC)
July 3, 2016 SAA cut rebel supply road Castillo, north of Aleppo city- Rusvesna report
June 26, 2016 Aleppo Battle Update: Syrian Army fully recaptures eastern parts of Mallah (+map)
- Another video of the attack.
According to Russian sources reports, on April 27 2016 FSA broken ceasefire and attacked Kurdish positions. At least 83 "Turkish supported terrorists" were killed in clashes, and significant quantities of weapons captured--report and photos . Meanwhile, MSM media reports that a hospital was hit --Resup (talk) 14:54, 28 April 2016 (UTC)
- The UN says the situation in Syria's city of Aleppo is catastrophic, after dozens of people were killed in attacks on targets including a hospital. Air strikes on and around the Medecins sans Frontieres-backed al-Qud hospital killed at least 27 people, while more than 30 died in other attacks
April 28, 2016 Russian sources accused opposition in shelling of residential areas of Aleppo. Some mortar shells hit the Russian consulate in Aleppo; it is said that 30 people elsewhere in the city were killed and over 100 wounded. Videos in the report show cars damaged by shrapnel or destroyed, and blood on a staircase of a building.
Meanwhile, Russian and US military negotiated a 'day of calm' to start 00.00 on April 30. Reports on what is included and how long it will last differ, but in the Russian version, "areas in Aleppo, Damascus. Latakia" are included, and there is no termination date for the calm. Western reports say that there is nothing on Aleppo, and that this is for one day. --Resup (talk) 16:44, 29 April 2016 (UTC)
- Updated Russian report clarifies that Aleppo was not included in the Syrian army announcement, but representatives of 16 settlements in Aleppo province contacted the Russian center to join the ceasefire. --Resup (talk) 18:39, 29 April 2016 (UTC)
28 July, 2016. Rebels, said to be al Nusra and Ahrar al Sham, fled the area of Bani Zeid and Lyaramun (Layramun) in the northern city of Aleppo. Attached video soldiers advancing or chanting among ruins, than a large captured ammo storage, mostly crude locally made ammo for do-it-yourself mortars and MLRS --Resup (talk) 21:52, 28 July 2016 (UTC)
Aleppo humanitarian corridors information published (locations, and instructions how to make checkpoint approach--leaflet in one hand, another hand on the head or holding a child. Following a signal, slowly turn around to show no explosives back. Approach checkpoint slowly). Arabic and Russian here--Resup (talk) 17:11, 29 July 2016 (UTC)
2 Aug, 2016. As reported (Rusvesna) quoting Syrian war correspondent Kinana Alush, 6 people were killed, 8 injured after poisonous gases were released in the area of the old town. It was gaseous chlorine type substance. After that the rebels have begun a major offensive on the positions of government troops. Similar report by RIA.--Resup (talk) 17:27, 2 August 2016 (UTC)
- Video, called "Militants used poison gas in Aleppo", published 3 Aug., 2016.--Resup (talk) 13:09, 3 August 2016 (UTC)
- Earlier Western media alleged chlorine use near the area where Russian Mi 8 was shot down. --Resup (talk) 17:27, 2 August 2016 (UTC)
- "Right now, the militants carried out diversionary attacks from different directions. The main assault on the positions of the Syrian army by combined forces of groups (about 20 gangs) are in the neighborhood Ramouseh in the south of Aleppo. There gangsters blew up the tunnel bomb of huge capacity under the position of the SAA, it is known that several soldiers were killed"
- Jihadist rebels continue, for the third day, their wide-scale offensive in southern Aleppo aimed to lift the siege on the districts they control in the eastern parts of the embattled city. Today’s battles have, so far, granted the insurgents full control on Sawmills area in Minyan following fierce battles with the government troops; now holed up at the adjacent Cardboard factory.
3 Aug, 2016. It is said that rebel attack was repelled. almasdarnews:
- Following a long and gruesome battle, the jihadist rebels were forced to retreat from Al-Huwayz Hill and the nearby sawmills, leaving the Syrian Arab Army in full control of the Al-Ramouseh District.
- 'Large' rebel losses reported, including 'about 40' in an ambush. Several rebel commanders from various factions are reported killed. 4 tanks and 5 BMPs said to be destroyed.
- Aljazeera provides an update from the other side. --Resup (talk) 06:26, 3 August 2016 (UTC)
6 Aug. 2016. almasdarnews: after morning attack, half of artillery base is in the hands of rebels. Cassad online report and latest map, similar to PetoLucem map below. --Resup (talk) 13:24, 6 August 2016 (UTC)
- Sham rebel battalions || The first moments of the control of the neighborhood Ramouseh
Cassad update says that rebels from outisde made contact with those surrounded, updates maps, but the fighting continues -report. almasdarnews: SAA still have fire control, more battles ahead. --Resup (talk) 15:29, 6 August 2016 (UTC)
11 Aug., 2016 Report: 4 rebel groups attacked Syrian Government positions in Southern Aleppo and captured Mahmiat al-Ghazalan, in a bid to obstruct the Syrian Government's Khanasir supply line , liveuamap. --Resup (talk) 09:58, 12 August 2016 (UTC)
- 12 Aug. According to reports (quoting Al Maiadin TV), lost positions in Mahmiat al-Ghazalan were retaken by SAA. --Resup (talk) 10:53, 12 August 2016 (UTC)
12 Aug., 2016. "Jihadists foil first Syrian Army offensive in southern Aleppo", Almasdar News. "Fighting rages in Aleppo despite Russian lull pledge", - Aljazeera (Russia proposed 3 hour pause in fighting daily for civilians to leave and/or humanitarian supplies come in; while the UN and the West want 48 hours). --Resup (talk) 08:10, 12 August 2016 (UTC)
15 Sept. 2016. Online video feed from Aleppo. First Deputy Chief of the Main Operations Directorate of the General Staff Russian Armed Forces, Lieutenant-General Viktor Poznihir, RT report and video: On Castello road "checkpoint was set and transferred to Syrian Red Crescent, guarded by 'people militia'. (Some earlier reports suggested Russian guards, but this report does not mention this). Syrian government forces ceased fire and began to redeploy tanks, infantry fighting vehicles and artillery on the set distance, to satisfy conditions for the creation of a demilitarized zone. Air and space forces of Russia and the Syrian Air Force suspended air strikes on the areas where there may be opposition forces. "There is no information on analogous actions by opposition forces controlled by USA". Also separation of rebel forces, into moderate and otherwise, is not seen on the ground. Follow-up video reports by Russian military located in Khmeimim reconciliation center and in Aleppo make certain that withdrawal refers to Castello Road, and that the rebels do not follow the suit. They ask to stop the withdrawal if this remains to be the case. Contacts with USA said to be made. --Resup (talk) 20:23, 15 September 2016 (UTC)
19 Sept. 2016 After the ceasefire lapsed at 7 p.m., Syrian jets pound Aleppo as Syrian Army prepares to attack, Almasdar News.
- Reuters: Aleppo aid trucks were "hit by air strikes" , quoting SOHR and interviews given to them over the phone.
- According to Russian reconciliation centre, al Nusra started massive attacks west of Aleppo, attacking SAA positions and residential areas west of Aleppo with massive artillery and MLRS fire from 19:30 to 20:00.
- BBC version
- Footage by the Syrian Civil Defence aka White Helmets at the warehouse in Aleppo, Syria, where a UN-RC aid convoy was targeted by airstrikes; video.
- Talks about 'regime helicopters' hitting warehouse, with 20 trucks outside; 'regime' striking again when rescuers arrived. (Not a trustworthy source with no independent info at this point..)
- pse continue here: Syria news/Current
October 6 Rocket Attacks
6 Oct. 2016 a presumed terrorist rocket attack on a market in Jameilah district (Wikimapia) kills and injures "tens" according to reports - Tweet, Edward Dark "Terrorist rebels shell busy market in Jamilieh, west Aleppo today murdering and maiming 10s. Media silent of course #Syria" - Twitter: video - Twitter, photo
Same day, Edward Dark' on Twitter "Pics: an unexploded "moderate" rebel missile fired into people's houses in Halab Jadideh, west Aleppo yesterday" (Wikimapia - a little to the east, in the old city area)
- "Dark" Tweet with 3 videos
In comments, the model shown is identified as a BM-30 Smerch, "only used by regime and Russia forces in Syria, so...." Charles Lister finds it funny, The critics pile it on, describing the firing as "errant," "friendly fire," with no effort to say what way it came from, and with no regard to the massive terrorist onslaught of rocket attacks on government-held areas. It could be errant and a coincidence, but there's a presumed deliberate terrorist market attack with rockets nearby the same day, so the presumption of terrorist fire is valid. But if they simply use rockets stolen from the government, to some folks that's unthinkable, and the situation is all good for a chuckle. And/or a good set-up to say Assad probably did the market attack too, and maybe it wasn't all on accident. --Caustic Logic (talk) 11:50, 7 October 2016 (UTC)
Smerch , Uragan, Grad, look pretty much the same but different size (diameter). Would be quite hard to identify from photo without knowing that; and there are lots of variants too. It is known, or reported at least, that moderates 'partners' bought large quantities of Soviet type weapons, in particular in Ukraine. Great deal of weapons used are Soviet type anyway, purchased or captured. --Resup (talk) 12:21, 7 October 2016 (UTC)
- Also, Smerch has listed range of 70 or 90 km (depending on munition), while the distance from Aleppo to northern border is under 62 km. Minimal firing distance is listed at 20 km. Also note that there were reports of troops and supplies of Soviet type armor moving to Syrian border in Turkey (Grad was explicitly mentioned, but other things may be there too without being reported) --Resup (talk) 14:22, 7 October 2016 (UTC)
I noticed the photos too, but was too tired to comment. The thing in Edward Dark's photos is the engine section of a BM-27 Uragan or BM-30 Smerch rocket. This is not where the cluster munitions fell but should be quite near. Previously I saw photos of the cluster carrier parts of Uragan rockets with the [ nose cones driven into the pavement in some government-held part of Aleppo. I do not think the rebels have a working Uragan system with launcher. So what is this?
- Rebels have captured Uragan rockets and are launching them from some jerry-rigged launch tube.
- SAA Uragans fell on loyalist territories by accident.
- Rebels are firing non-working part of Uragans back over government lines with Hell Cannons or something.
- The rockets fell somewhere else and the photos were misidentified.
P.S. - Charles Lister says it is a a BM-30 Smerch. Looks similar but it might also could be a BM-27. To be sure I would need photos of the used BM-27 engine sections for comparison. I looked through my folders. I have many photos of both BM-27 and BM-30 cluster munitions carrier sections, mainly from Slavyansk and Kramatorsk. But I could not find a single photo of the BM-27 engine section. -- Petri Krohn (talk) 13:58, 7 October 2016 (UTC)
- Some Uragans here , 9М27К is a cluster version. Also here Engine not well seen but does not appear too different from Smerch, apart from the diameter. Perhaps looks more like Smerch, Uragans pictured have 4 fins, Smerch 6. But there are lots of modifications, and can be made in different countries, so does not mean too much IMO --Resup (talk) 15:04, 7 October 2016 (UTC)
 Rebels resource, 2.5 trucks in a loop from somewhere to nowhere, 21 Aug., 2016.
RT, 19 Aug., 2016. Lizzie Phelan travels from Damascus to Aleppo, enters on YPG controlled northern road, shows around a bit. Ends with AMC (Aleppo Media Center, pro -rebel) clip
Another from RT/Phelan, 22 Aug., 2016. Talks to some residents, including a doctor, and visits a school. Government-run hospital shown.
- "Suspicious plan of Moscow and Damascus to strangulate Aleppo" (Western press review, in Russ.)- Inopressa.ru, 28 July 2016.
- "Aleppo was captured by Erdogan militants " - dozens of bandits surrendered to the army and told the truth",Rusvesna, 30 July 2016 (photo and video) --Resup (talk) 16:18, 30 July 2016 (UTC)