Talk:Syrian Government Forces
- 1 Updates
- 2 Battles
- 3 Equipment
- 4 Sources
- 5 ...and Iran
- 6 ...and Russia
- 7 Past relations with Turkey
- 8 Attempts on peace with Israel
- 9 References
- The article reprinted in Rusvesna describes division forces and conveys a picture that the division was over-run by a weaker rebel force in Deraa province on 11 June 2015. This is attributed to low morals and abandonment by generals. The article continues to say that control is being passed to Iranian generals and Hezbollah, with a view to preserve regime in a suitable way, by defending Damascus and areas to the North --Resup (talk) 13:42, 12 June 2015 (UTC)
Syrian army denied reports that it had a clash with Israeli commandos (amid some reports in social media of a purported clash in Quneitra province). Rusvesna, 25.10.2015 --Resup (talk) 23:52, 24 October 2015 (UTC)
- "Syrian Army Seizes FSA Military Base in Golan Heights in Quneitra". Near the Golan heights ceasefire line.
- Some shooting at UFO video.
- UFO appears to be an Israeli Arab paragliding to Syria to join an extremist group; if confirmed, his citizenship will be revoked -CNN
- Syrian quartet (USA, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Turkey) had a FM meeting in Vienna. It is believed that differences on fate of Assad remain unresolved -with Saudi Arabia and Turkey insisting on his departure. His participation in transitional government appears to be under discussion. lenta.ru, 25.10.15
- 10.11.2015 SAR Army has entered Kuweyres airbase in eastern Aleppo, ending its 3 year seige, -twitter reports , . (Reported to be close, for a while). --Resup (talk) 10:50, 10 November 2015 (UTC)
- 15.11.2015 - 0:29 It is said, quoting social media, that unknown planes attacked Raqqa, some photos of the aftermath are provided. "Headquarters" hit. (is this really Raqqa? Whose planes?) --Resup (talk) 11:53, 15 November 2015 (UTC) First such strike apparently happened on 14.11 . Fire department was hit
The targets included a command center, a recruitment center, an ammunition storage base and a training camp for the terror group, said Mickael Soria, press adviser for France's defense minister
- Yarmouk camp evacuation. Success for Putin: Islamists withdraw from neighborhoods in Damascus, DWN; Syria war: Yarmouk camp evacuation 'on hold' (as Alloush is killed), BBC, Dec. 26, 2015.--Resup (talk) 01:27, 27 December 2015 (UTC)
Earlier this month, pro-government media reported a deal between the regime, IS and the rival al-Nusra Front to allow members of both safe passage out of Yarmouk and Hajar al-Aswad to Raqqa and the northern province of Idlib.
- Claim: Notorious Saudi Emir of Al-Nusra Killed in Bashkoy, Aleppo, FARS, Dec 27, 2015.
"The Syrian army units killed Abu Muthna al-Madanai, the al-Nusra Front's emir of the region," military sources said on Sunday. The hunting operation was carried out after the terrorists failed to capture the strategic town of Bashkoy in another massive attack on army positions on Saturday.
- "Report: Syria's army seized the main stronghold of the terrorists in Latakia - Salma city" (PHOTOS, VIDEO), Rusvesna, google -translated, 12.1.2016.
"4000 IS and al -Nusra militants are being evacuated from Damascus to Raqqa, thousands of Syrians are returning to their homes"-video (Rusvesna); and RT report--Resup (talk) 00:43, 22 January 2016 (UTC)
- Syrian Army takes Salma ('main stronghold of rebels in Latakia'). --Resup (talk) 00:25, 23 January 2016 (UTC)
- For the latest see Category talk: Aleppo
Feb. 2, 2016
- "The main supply line of the militants, connecting the towns of Hayyan, Anadan, Haraytan and Maayer, was cut off in the Syrian army attack,"-map
Feb. 3, 2016
- "Siege of Nubl and Al-Zahra lifted"
- Syria conflict: Government 'cuts Aleppo rebel supply route', BBC.
Feb. 4, 2016
- Kurds advancing to the north of Aleppo, said to be with Syrian and Russian fire support, with the aim to encircle the rebels and to close Syrian-Turkish border- report , google translation
- Update and map
- --Resup (talk) 14:30, 5 February 2016 (UTC)
Feb. 8, 2016
- SAA pushes towards Tall Rifat, north of Aleppo, and 20 km from Turkey border. 'Thousands' of refugees are said to be there.--Resup (talk) 09:46, 9 February 2016 (UTC)
- Feb. 24: it is said that SAA forces (including Tiger Force ), and allied militia ('Liva al-Quds') entered Khanaser
Apr.4, 2016 It is said that fighters, said to be 'Al-Nusra', launched a big attack to the North/North East from Aleppo. About 400 fighters, several tanks and MLRS, according to report. --Resup (talk) 14:04, 4 April 2016 (UTC)
Two grim photo and video reports (+ this which refers to 'Damascus online' journal) on civilian situation in Aleppo city on Rusvesna. Seems to be of unclear origin (somewhat--Rusvesna is typically sensible), some photos are present on social media, others are not. Planned as part of twitter campaign #savealeppo . --Resup (talk) 23:16, 4 April 2016 (UTC)
- Two of Rusvesna photos appeared earlier on Kurdish twitter and apparently @ConflictNews (here is a reference) on 21 February 2016, with explanation: victims of shelling of Ahrar/Nusra on Sheikh Maqsoud Aleppo. 6 civilians died, many wounded
- Another photo is apparently from April 2, location said to be Sheikh Maqsoud, Aleppo, see on the right.
- Apr. 5, 2016 Syrian army and allies made an announcement making the other side, Al Nusra, responsible for broken ceasefire and announcing plans to storm Aleppo. Asks civilians to leave in 48 hours.
- Syrian army plane was shot down
- Russia’s proposal on Syria inclusive talks (ie including Kurds) blocked at UN Security Council — UN envoy TASS (Eng)
- Apr.6, 2016 Rusvesna reports a fresh attack by about 400 al Nusra fighters in Sheikh Maqsoud area, Aleppo city; "tens" of civilians said to be brought to local hospitals. While in the past day Kurds reported (part 1) (part 2) 11 civilians killed and 38 injured
- 18 dead in Syrian rebel shelling on Kurdish area: monitor, France 24, Apr. 6, 2016, quoting Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights
- Russian airforce strikes Al Nusra terrorists positions near Aleppo TASS (Rus)
(Updates above are by Resup, times are recorded on recent changes)
Added: There is another Kurdish post added, addressed to the Special Coordination Team For Syria Ceasefire, dated Apr 5 at 7 p.m. It has two videos from twitter posts already linked above, and more wounded civilians photos. --Resup (talk) 01:00, 7 April 2016 (UTC)
Apr.7. It is said today in the afternoon Al Nusra launched an attack on SAA in a village Khandarat, near Aleppo, using 15 pickup trucks with mounted machine guns, and several tanks providing cover. Rusvesna report includes photos published on social media by the militants --Resup (talk) 18:30, 7 April 2016 (UTC)
al-Rai town: Syrian rebels defeat Isis to take control of main supply route to Turkey-Independent.co.uk --Resup (talk) 20:22, 7 April 2016 (UTC)
- PHOTOS: Ahrar al-Sham fighters inside al-Rai in northern #Syria after capturing the town from ISIS today. (twitter)
- Report of the Russian Centre for reconciliation of opposing sides in the Syrian Arab Republic (April 6, 2016)--Resup (talk) 20:03, 8 April 2016 (UTC)
- Alleged chemical attack -below.
- Report of the Russian Centre for reconciliation of opposing sides in the Syrian Arab Republic (April 8, 2016)--Resup (talk) 20:57, 8 April 2016 (UTC)
Rusvesna post repeats the SAA announcement from April 5, above. Translating here main part of that SAA announcment: "Al Nusra misled other factions and led them into massive violation of ceasefire, extending their actions to Northern and Western areas of Aleppo province, and ignoring interests of Syrian citizen in those areas. SAA tried to avoid resumption of bloodshed, but now it became obvious to everybody that Al Nusra and those supporting it do not understand any other language, as was expected and well known. Based on the foregoing, the Syrian army and its allies will ensure that in the very near future, fighting on all fronts in the north, west and south of the province will be resumed, and this time there is nothing which can put an obstacle in doing so. In that regard, SAA special strike forces in the coming days will start fierce fighting with anyone who has violated the ceasefire agreement". Continues with asking civilians to leave the war zone as soon as possible. --Resup (talk) 23:37, 8 April 2016 (UTC)
Breaking: Syrian Army launches night assault in northern Aleppo --Resup (talk) 01:40, 9 April 2016 (UTC)
Syrian Army, Palestinian committees enter the eastern neighborhoods of Handarat Camp --Resup (talk) 01:40, 9 April 2016 (UTC)
- Handarat Camp map (approximate). Looks like cauldron. Also air raid mapped, at about the same place. --Resup (talk) 02:37, 9 April 2016 (UTC)
Almasdarnews: Rebels reverse the Syrian Army gains in Handarat Camp
- It is claimed that US planes and Turkish artillery supported the offensive near Al Rai, Turkish border. Social media photo , video posts suggest that A10 planes participated.
Report of the Russian Centre for reconciliation of opposing sides in the Syrian Arab Republic (April 9, 2016). Violations, civilians killed.
another Rusvesna update tells about intensive fighting between SAA and combined rebels in Aleppo (google translated)
Almasdarnews: Rebel offensive in southern Aleppo fails as the Syrian Army, Hezbollah recapture Al-Khalidiyah --Resup (talk) 09:30, 10 April 2016 (UTC)
- TASS: 'Russian AF and Syrian military are preparing joint operation to liberate Aleppo', against 'all armed formations who did not join, or who violated ceasefire agreement'. --Resup (talk) 10:45, 10 April 2016 (UTC)
- 'Ahrar Al-Sham's Top Aleppo Commander Killed', Fars News, Apr 10, 2016.
- The truce has held in most of Syria, except in the north, where it has practically collapsed. Al-Nusra Front, excluded from the agreement, is deeply rooted in the parts of northern Syria controlled by opposition forces, complicating the oversight of the truce.
Almasdarnews: Syrian Army attempts to isolate Islamist rebels in Aleppo city (contains South Front video update, in English).
Alleged chemical weapons use by the rebels, Apr. 7, 2016
(for the timing/context, see above)
- Syrian Islamist group Jaysh al-Islam admits using banned weapons against Kurds in Aleppo--Resup (talk) 22:12, 7 April 2016 (UTC)
- No idea is it true or not and what's really going on...--Resup (talk) 22:13, 7 April 2016 (UTC)
- Some photos of the sort being looked at here for a while--Resup (talk) 22:18, 7 April 2016 (UTC)
- video 1, video 2 ,video 3.
- another video cut, RIA reporting
- Report of the Russian Centre for reconciliation of opposing sides in the Syrian Arab Republic (April 7, 2016). Date of release, according to Russian language version, is 07.04.2016 (19:40) . Chemical attack and shelling incidents in the evening apparently are not included. --Resup (talk) 20:03, 8 April 2016 (UTC)
- RIA, 23:48 07.04.2016 . Konashenkov: "in the past day, about 1.5 thousand "Dzhebhat Al-Nusra" fighters attacked the positions of the people's militia in the Sheikh Maqsood quarter. After the aerial survey and determining the exact coordinates, Russian air group planes performed strikes on advancing reinforcements of the militants. As a result of the strikes by Russian planes, the terrorists retreated". --Resup (talk) 20:57, 8 April 2016 (UTC)
- US State Department Daily briefing, April 8. Looking into IS use of mustard gas, OK to work with OPCW, Russia, but:
- QUESTION: What about the reports that Jaysh al-Islam was involved, who have taken responsibility for this, and they’re one of the parties that have a delegation in the intra-Syrian talks?
- MR TONER: Yeah, and I apologize. I just don’t have any information on that at this point. I’d have to look into it.
- For the latest see Category talk: Aleppo
- RT: ‘Jaysh al-Islam should be eliminated from Geneva talks over Aleppo chemical attack ’, Apr. 8, 2016.
- So far, little discussion, or any coverage at all in fact, will be entering opinions I see here. --Resup (talk) 10:31, 10 April 2016 (UTC)
Almasdar news: Jabhat Al-Nusra launches new offensive in northern Latakia, near Jaysh Al-Turkmen, on Syrian border with Turkey, Apr.10, 2016. --Resup (talk) 15:06, 10 April 2016 (UTC)
- Northern Latakia, Kinsabba
- Syria: Syrian Army liberates rebel-held areas of Kinsabba, Latakia, Aug 8, 2016
Feb. 24, 2016
- Putin calls Assad about US-Russia announced Syrian ceasefire
- --Resup (talk) 10:22, 24 February 2016 (UTC)--
Mar. 12, 2016. Syrian Mig 21 was shot down by Ahrar al-Sham group; one pilot was killed when he tried to land the plane; another pilot bailed out and landed in the village of Al Maghir, controlled by SAA RIA --Resup (talk) 22:09, 12 March 2016 (UTC)
Mar. 17-20. For several days now, intense fighting with IS near Palmyra. SAA and allied militia control the outskirts and are said to prepare for an assault on the city itself. Supply routes from the 'capital' were bombed by Syrian and Russian aviation yesterday. --Resup (talk) 09:40, 20 March 2016 (UTC)
Al-Qaryatayn liberated, Sputnik News, Apr. 5, 2016. Photos, drone video.
April 5, 2016 Syrian Army liberated Al Eis (map). Rebels from Al Nusra and Ahrar ash-Sham retreated.
Apr. 23, 2016. Kurdish and Pro-Syrian Government Forces Declare Truce in Qamishli, after several days of clashes --Resup (talk) 13:39, 24 April 2016 (UTC)
June 4, 2016 SAA starts offensive on Raqqa
June 20, 2016 more reports on SAA advance.
June 21, 2016. After days of SAA advances backed by Russian air support, IS launched a counter-attack, using tanks, artillery, suicide vehicles, vehicle-mounted machine guns-Rusvesna report and video.
- ...militants seized a small village of Khirbat Zeidan after taking intersection Rasafa on the highway Suhane - Tabka. After that, they went on the offensive on the Syrian army positions in the large village of Albu Alladzh located at highway Salaam - Raqqa.
- --Resup (talk) 02:27, 22 June 2016 (UTC)
June 22, 2016 Roman Saponkov updates on twitter from the scene, in Russian and English. Said to be about 100 SAA dead. Reports chemical weapons use (unclear how reliable is that part). --Resup (talk) 02:24, 23 June 2016 (UTC)
- Russia is said to give SAA some newer T-90 tanks, which are equipped with protection against TOW type anti-tank missiles --Resup (talk) 20:46, 19 February 2016 (UTC)
- Southfront news release discusses SAA loss of Russian-made equipment including T 90 tank and, apparently, TOS 1 flamethrower, to Al Nusra and co, June 23, 2016. --Resup (talk) 18:56, 23 June 2016 (UTC)
- 27.6.2016 Jaish al Islam used Soviet-made, old vacuum-lamp electronics based Osa antiaircraft system to hit SAA helicopter. Helicopter reported landed safely, crew was wounded. Using the system requires some 10 month training, and supply of vacuum lamps no longer produced and not available on the open market. Optical targeting and not using radar noted in the report based on the video linked. --Resup (talk) 19:49, 27 June 2016 (UTC)
- 17.11.15 France 24 video report from government-held Syria.
- The Shia jihad and the death of Syria’s army - Lara Nelson, The Middle East Eye, 18 November 2015
- Russian'/Ukrainian opolchenie "Timur", who is with Kurds, presents his latest report from Syria, claiming in particular Turkish special forces involvement in fighting under Aleppo, quoting Kurdish militia. No details really, and do not see it elsewhere; unsure is this accurate. google translated report --Resup (talk) 05:43, 6 December 2015 (UTC)
- 'Quietly American Foreign Office Having Dialogue with Damascus and Mouallem off to Moscow', by Nahed Hatter Translation by G and I Kadi, originally published in Al Akhbar (in Arabic), 5 August 2105. Tells in part about an ...'amended Iranian initiative that is being discussed by the Iranian – Russian – Syrian trio in Tehran, the launching of which may signal the end of war on Syria'... (saving the link. Observation: those 'broad-based anti-terror' peace initiatives attributed to Lavrov or to Iran appear nearly identical, when presented in Russian press...Unfamiliar with the article author or the magazine...) --Resup (talk) 05:24, 7 August 2015 (UTC)
- 'Syria foreign minister in Tehran for talks with Iran, Russia', Aug 4, 2015, Reuters.
- Meanwhile, Quds ('Jerusalem') force commander said to be shopping for weapons in Moscow according to Western reports (hmm- and how do they know)? --Resup (talk) 12:04, 7 August 2015 (UTC)
- ..also, said to be talking to Kurds ...
- "Iran quietly deepens involvement in Syria's war", By Hossein Bastani, BBC Persian, 20 .10.2015
Officially Iran denies it has deployed any combat troops in Syria, but a week before the offensive began, it was reported that hundreds of Iranian troops had arrived in Syria in preparation for an imminent assault on rebel-held areas. Iran also announced the deaths of four high-ranking officers from the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) in Syria. At least one of them, Brig Gen Hossein Hamedani - the most senior Iranian military officer to have been so far killed in the Syrian conflict - lost his life near Aleppo
- 'General Soleimani: Iran Targeting Terrorists that Enslave, Trade Women', FARS news, March 14, 2016. --Resup (talk) 19:20, 15 March 2016 (UTC)
- Moved to Talk:Russian deployment in Syria
Past relations with Turkey
How things were: Earlier days of the Erdoğan-Assad relationship, Hurriyet. 'Family' style photos of Erdogan and Assad, circa 2009. (Life News trolling up)--Resup (talk) 22:09, 27 November 2015 (UTC)
Attempts on peace with Israel
- Government: some details here The truth about the near-miss Israel/Syria deal that some think could have averted the war, Max Fisher, 18.10.15
- FSA: “If Israel gives up Assad, he’s finished”, 2.3.2012