- We are for a united Syria. We do not support an independent Kurd initiative," Kerry said, pointing out that the American forces have been engaging in cooperation with “a component” of the Kurdish forces on a “very limited basis.”
- On his part, Lavrov said, “Kurds must remain a part of the Syrian state, part of resolving the problem, and not a factor that will be used to split Syria apart.”
Syrian government officials reportedly met with YPG and Asayish leaderships in the Russian Hmeimim Base to negotiate a lasting ceasefire under Russian supervision, almasdarnews.
- Meanwhile, social media reports (# Hasakah) suggest YPG advances on the ground, 'on the verge of capturing Al-Hasakah' --Resup (talk) 00:42, 23 August 2016 (UTC)
- Kurdish sources (twitter) (ANHA) confirm ceasefire in Hasaka --Resup (talk) 12:12, 23 August 2016 (UTC)
- The airstrikes hit a training camp for the Kurdish units in Tell Beydar, in addition to outposts for the Asayish forces in Al-Mahlaj, Al-Kallasah and Al-Nasirah neighborhoods. The Syrian authorities have also called on the Arabs living in the predominantly-Kurdish city to arm themselves and fight the Kurdish separatists who adopt ‘a relocation project’. Kurds in northern and northeastern Syria are attempting to have their own autonomous state along the Turkish border. The bid is strongly opposed by both Syrian and Turkish authorities.
18 Aug. 2016 "Russian Defense Ministry ready to support 48-hour humanitarian pauses in Aleppo", TASS (Eng.)
- US-backed Kurdish and Arab fighters fought 73 days to drive IS out of Manbij, close to the Turkish border.
12 Aug., 2016. "Jihadists foil first Syrian Army offensive in southern Aleppo", Almasdar News. "Fighting rages in Aleppo despite Russian lull pledge", - Aljazeera (Russia proposed 3 hour pause in fighting daily for civilians to leave and/or humanitarian supplies come in; while the UN and the West want 48 hours).
11 Aug., 2016 Report: 4 rebel groups attacked Syrian Government positions in Southern Aleppo and captured Mahmiat al-Ghazalan, in a bid to obstruct the Syrian Government's Khanasir supply line , liveuamap.
- 12 Aug. According to reports (quoting Al Maiadin TV), lost positions in Mahmiat al-Ghazalan were retaken by SAA.
7 Aug, 2016 Rebels sent vegs convoy; but it failed phytosanitary inspection
Aerial footage of Syrian airstrikes targeting jihadists positions in south Aleppo, almasdarnews
5 Aug., 2016 Rebel attack on Ramousah Artillery Base was repelled almasdarnews
3 Aug, 2016. It is said that rebel attack was repelled. almasdarnews:
- Following a long and gruesome battle, the jihadist rebels were forced to retreat from Al-Huwayz Hill and the nearby sawmills, leaving the Syrian Arab Army in full control of the Al-Ramouseh District.
- 'Large' rebel losses reported, including 'about 40' in an ambush. Several rebel commanders from various factions are reported killed. 4 tanks and 5 BMPs said to be destroyed.
- Aljazeera provides an update from the other side.
2 Aug, 2016. As reported (Rusvesna) quoting Syrian war correspondent Kinana Alush, 6 people were killed, 8 injured after poisonous gases were released in the area of the old town. It was gaseous chlorine type substance. After that the rebels have begun a major offensive on the positions of government troops. Similar report by RIA.
- Video, called "Militants used poison gas in Aleppo", published 3 Aug., 2016.
- Earlier Western media alleged chlorine use near the area where Russian Mi 8 was shot down.
- "Right now, the militants carried out diversionary attacks from different directions. The main assault on the positions of the Syrian army by combined forces of groups (about 20 gangs) are in the neighborhood Ramouseh in the south of Aleppo. There gangsters blew up the tunnel bomb of huge capacity under the position of the SAA, it is known that several soldiers were killed"
- Jihadist rebels continue, for the third day, their wide-scale offensive in southern Aleppo aimed to lift the siege on the districts they control in the eastern parts of the embattled city. Today’s battles have, so far, granted the insurgents full control on Sawmills area in Minyan following fierce battles with the government troops; now holed up at the adjacent Cardboard factory.
1 Aug, 2016. Russian MOD briefing, Engl (shows a map. too).