Airstrike on Lugansk RSA building
Seven civilians were killed in an Ukraine air force strike on the Lugansk RSA (regional state administration) building on June 2, 2014.
- Those killed - three women and two men - are all civilians, witnesses told RT. One of them was the LNR’s health minister, Natalia Arkhipova. During the air-strike, she was talking to another woman on the administration building’s steps, the self-proclaimed republic’s premier, Vasiliy Nikitin, said.
- Minutes earlier, heavy machine-gun shooting was reported in the center of Lugansk, as fierce fighting between the local self-defense squads and Kiev forces renewed after a brief truce. ... Meanwhile, fighting in the Lugansk region continued later on Monday, with another airstrike reported by the self-proclaimed republic’s authorities. They said that Kiev forces launched an air strike on a checkpoint in the region and there were casualties.
- Kiev, however, denied attacking the HQ, ... The Ukrainian authorities sent its air force to Lugansk to support border guard units stationed in the area, said Vladislav Seleznyov, the spokesman for the military operation ... Seleznyoov added that according to preliminary experts’ conclusions, the explosion (in Lugansk, RSA) resulted from an attempt to launch some anti-aircraft missile. ”Fighter jets could become vulnerable while making turns," he said. “Perhaps, terrorists were trying to shoot them down from some air defense system, but the explosion occurred inside the building.”
- June 2nd, 2014. Extreme Violence in Lugansk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUIiRPO0W28&list=PLmyeYXPoJZYpoojX_GF19WF7BJ2IdAgED(YouTube account terminated)
Su-25 ground attack plane fires missile:
In an interview on August 19 in front of the building a militia man says that Kiev eventually admitted that they did it, allegedly mistakenly and "missing the target".
(see discussion here)
- An Assessment of the June 2 Luhansk Administration Building Attacks, Tom Giuretis, June 3, 2014
- Analyses four videos via geolocation and triangulation, coming to the conclusion that the jet in the videos indeed fires missiles towards the administration building.
Photos of victims
Ukraine denies any involvement in the airstrike
"Ukrainian officials killer continue cynical lie that the militias themselves accidentally fired on the RSA building with MANPADS"
- Ukraine crisis: Border guards' centre is attacked – BBC, June 2, 2014
- In Luhansk, there was an explosion in the main regional building seized by the separatists several weeks ago. It was not immediately known what caused the blast. Unconfirmed reports say there were casualties. Pro-Russian groups accused Ukraine's military of carrying out an air strike. Kiev denied the claim, suggesting that separatists in the building could have mishandled a portable anti-aircraft missile system.
- Confirmed: Ukrainian air force fired over 150 missiles at Lugansk, bombed admin HQ – RT, June 03, 2014
- In Luhansk the situation remained volatile. On 2 June, shortly after 15:00 hrs, rockets hit the occupied regional administration building. Based on the SMM’s limited observation these strikes were the result of non-guided rockets shot from an aircraft. The number of casualties is unknown.
- http://ria.ru/politics/20140602/1010319400.html Зюганов: необходимо объявить бесполетную зону над юго-востоком Украины] (Zyuganov: you need to declare a no-fly zone over the south-east of Ukraine) – РИА Новости, June 2, 2014
- Zyuganov calls for no-fly zone over Donbas, Luhansk region – Interfax-Ukraine / Kyiv Post, June 2, 2014