Damascus Car Bombing, Oct. 26
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Another deadly car bombing in Damascus marred the Eid Al-Adha Cease-Fire on October 26, 2012.
A Rebel Operation?
The Australian reported:
- A separate car bombing in Damascus killed five people and wounded 32, Syrian state television reported. The Observatory confirmed the attack, adding that children were among the wounded. [...] Jihadist group Al-Nosra Front, which has claimed the majority of deadly car bombings and suicide attacks over the course of the conflict, has categorically rejected any truce.  Later government reports said the bombing killed ten and wounded 30, and occurred near a housing complex for police. 
Apparently, the Al-Nosra front never claimed responsibility.
A Government Operation?
Some opposition sources blamed government forces for the bombing, and made sure to point out that children weren't just injured, but killed. CNN reported:
- ..Some of the dead were reported to be children. The blast seemed to mock the truce that the Syrian government and rebels agreed to abide by earlier this week. [...] Rebels said the blast went off near a playground. 
The unnamed activist informing CNN reported signs of a government cover-up, but the local people remain unafraid and defiant:
- About 15 minutes after the blast, Syria security forces showed up and shot directly at someone filming the scene, a source who CNN has spoken with before inside Syria recounted. CNN is not naming her to protect her safety. "The people were mad with grief, with rage," she said. A small demonstration formed, as Syrians chanted against the Assad regime, she said. They immediately blamed President Bashar al-Assad's forces for the bomb. "The whole neighborhood came down to the street," she said. 
- ↑ The AustralianOctober 26, 2012
- ↑ Associated PressOctober 26, 2012
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Syrian: Damascus car bomb killed kids near playground By Ashley Fantz and Salma Abdelaziz, CNN updated 10:09 PM EDT, Fri October 26, 2012