From A Closer Look On Syria
Abdelhamid Abaaoud, a Belgian citizen, claimed to have been the third, surviving member of this terror cell in a story in the ISIS
. In late 2015 he apparently planed the terror attacks in Paris that killed 129 people and was killed himself a few days later in a police raid in St. Deniz
- Source: Belgium terror cell has links to ISIS, some members still at large ̣- Paul Cruickshank, Steve Almasy and Deborah Feyerick, CNN, January 17, 2015
- Europe on Alert as Police Swoop on Terrorist Suspects - Ian Wishart, Gaspard Sebag and John Martens, Bloomberg, Jan 16, 2015
- Belgian terror cell ‘was on verge of significant attack’ - France24, 2015-01-16
- Belgium charges five over 'terror plot to kill police' - BBC, 16 January 2015
Identity of suspects
- The two men killed during a firefight with Belgium's special forces in Verviers on Thursday night have been named locally as Redouane Hagaoui and Tarik Jadaoun, who had recently returned from fighting in Syria.
- Hagaoui, 23, also known as Abu Khalid Al Maghribi, had been under surveillance by Belgium's secret service after returning from fighting with radical Islamists in Syria.
- He left his job as a cook to travel to Syria via Turkey last January after telling his parents he was going to visit relatives in their country of origin, Morocco.
- The other man killed, Jadaoun, is thought to be of Chechen origin."