Edit me! --------------------->
Ukraine News in Container
22 Jun. Macron wants to know what is happening with Minsk agreements ("neither war nor peace"), and so plans to have a Normandy format meeting before G-20.
Preparation for Putin-Trump meeting at G-20 is not conducted in practice, according to both sides
21 Jun. NATO's F-16 closely approach Russian DM Shoigu plane flying over neutral waters of Baltic sea, steered off by escorting Su -27 -video. Shoigu was heading to Kaliningrad for a meeting on 'security issues from the Western strategic direction'.
DPR: 81 years old woman died from injuries received in Yasinovataya shelling by Ukraine on 19 Jun.
20 Jun. OSCE claimed (in initial twit version, now apparently softened) that their observers were assaulted in Yasinovataya by 'armed DPR men' (nobody was injured). DPR investigates, calls this a provocation (designed to coincide with Poroshenko visit to USA, arrests some suspects, who are said to be not members of DPR armed forces or security services.
It is said that Poroshenko administration on the eve of his US visit develops some new plan presented as halting ATO, some 'peaceful reintegration', possibly even change of legal status of rebel areas --and, somehow, emergency military rule in Ukrainian-held Donbass. DPR reaction after 3 years of war is skeptical.
18 Jun. DPR MOD: 1 DPR soldier was killed, at least two houses damaged. New provocations feared prior to Trump meeting with Poroshenko (who visits on 19-20 Jun) , and contact group meeting on 21 Jun.
12 Jun. Two civilians were killed in overnight Ukrainian shelling of Petrovskii and Kievskii districts of Donetsk. According to DPR MOD, with a video from the scene, OSCE did not attend the scene due to lack of asphalted road leading there. 'A shot fired from BMP-1 gun in Mar'inka took lives of 2 people, a mother and her son'. (Discussion).
Anna News correspondents recorded from Kalinovo Ukrainian night shelling of LPR (1:49-2:17;2:38), while that same Ukrainian position is shelled by Ukrainians themselves (2:16-2:27; 2:51-3:18; also around 4:00-4:40 from another direction). Lights in Popasnoe, Ukr. held, seen at 4:42. Camera is on a forward LPR position, there are no LPR positions in front of the camera. 5:46-6:02, cameraman is spotted and fired on, 120 mm mortar shell lands nearby. 6:07 -6:21, LPR is shelled some more; 6:23 more shots on LPR from Troitskoe. Ukrainian sources reported that UAF positions were shelled in Popasnoe and Troitskoe by the militants
11 Jun. 'Water of Donbass' pumping station near Yasinovataya lost power again due to Ukrainian shelling, affecting water supply in several large cities in soutwestern Donbass. Russian JCCC reps and plant operators came under Ukrainian fire when visiting the station (casualties were luckily avoided).
10 Jun. LPR weekly report (multimedia, Rus.) Ukraine fired 1506 mortar and artillery shells and grenades. Zhelobok attack: 7 houses destroyed, 2 civilians wounded. LPR claims that 11 UAF were killed and 18 wounded, bodies were left in the grey zone near Zhelobok, some of them could be saved if evacuated in time. On 7 June in the afternoon (Zhelobok attack day), OSCE SMM patrol near Muratovo (Ukrainian-held) heard 30 MLRS missiles. LPR: those were fired from Zolotoye (Ukrainian controlled).
- Zhelobok report & photos, by "Prizrak' commissar 'Dobryi'.
DPR MOD: 395 ceasefire violations by Ukraine, 3800 missiles, artillery, tank and mortar shells fired (Rus.)(Eng.) DPR ombudsman: in the past week, 7 people (6 soldiers and 1 civilian woman) were killed, 24 people (16 soldiers, 1 civilian woman, 7 civilian men) were wounded. 736 DPR people are in Ukrainian custody (426 confirmed and 303 being verified; + 7 new petitions regarding DPR supporters arrested by Ukraine, dated from Aug. 2015 to June 2017).
8 Jun. In the past day, 1 DPR soldier was killed and 1 wounded.
LPR official report: in the past day, Ukraine fired 413 mortar and artillery shells banned by Minsk agreements. 4 soldiers and 2 civilians wounded, 7 houses destroyed.
Opolchenie report: Zhelobok settlement, LPR (map) is under control of 'Prizrak' (LPR), and partially by Ukraine in the grey zone; before the attack, the situation was similar. Some heights which were captured by Ukraine remain under their control. Fierce artillery duels continue, and extend to Donetsk suburbs. 'Water of Donbass' report that equipment at a pumping station near Yasinovataya were damaged by Ukrainian shelling, and pumping cannot be restarted without repairs and clearing of unexploded munitions. Videos: (1) media, the head of the administration and the representative of LPR militia came under UAF shelling; (2)shells hit residential buildings on the streets of 50 years of the USSR, Michurin and Voikov in the city of Kirovsk.
Small IED explosion at the US Embassy in Kiev, no damage or injuries.
7 Jun. BREAKING: UAF attacked from two directions near Zhelobok, LPR, on the day of a scheduled meeting in Minsk-Rusvesna report. Opolchenie report: UAF is using heavy artillery and tanks to override first line of defense. When attacks started, LPR defenders were ordered to use light weapons only. Residential areas in Kirovsk city center were shelled, serious destruction is reported. LPR spokesman: 2-3 platoons UAF involved in the attack.
6 Jun. DPR. In the past day, 7 people were wounded, 11 houses damaged by Ukrainian shelling.
2 June. DPR MOD weekly update (Rus.), (Eng.) 389 ceasefire violations by Ukraine, 3632 missiles, artillery, tank and mortar shells fired. DPR ombudsman: 2 DPR soldiers killed, 11 people (5 DPR soldiers, 3 civilian men, 3 civilian women) wounded (MOD gives lower numbers). 23 houses damaged. -All that in the background of announcements of new attempts of ceasefire.
LPR dismisses Kiev's reports on Ukrainian army advance (Eng). Anna news video report from Bakhmut road, near Zhelobok and Frunze, checkpoint 31, LPR--there have been no recent advances of Ukrainian forces. However, they occupy positions in grey zone for quite some time, in violation of Minsk agreements; LPR complained to OSCE many times.
1 Jun. Adam Osmaev, a Chechen accused in the past of preparing an attempt on Putin, was wounded in a shoot-out in Kiev with a man who presented himself as a French journalist. The attacker was also wounded by shots fired by Osmaev's wife. Ukrainian sources give different details, telling that Osmaev car was shot at.
- Ukrainian media published a photo of the alleged attacker, who has Ukrainian internal and external passports. Gerashenko tries to make a case connecting the attacker to Russia. Ukrainian reports, photos suggest that he may be Arthur Denisultanov, who has a criminal past. It is said that he threatened Umar Israilov, former Kadyrov bodygauard, later killed in Vienna, Austria. He was questioned in Austria and testified against Kadyrov, but was not believed, sent back, and later claimed that his testimony was falsified by police.
30 May. DPR MOD warns on new Ukrainian provocations, says that previous ones were incompletely covered by OSCE (Eng.)
Ukraine is drafting around 4000 reserve officers, those under 43 years old who did not serve in the army before (this includes university graduates). The draft is for 18 months.
Plans to have a meeting in Normandy format, with OSCE participation, were announced by President of France Emmanuel Macron in a press conference with Putin. (Syria, hacking, media issues touched on as well).
Netherlands ratifies EU-Ukraine treaty
29 May. Zaitsevo, near Gorlovka, shelled by Ukraine, 2 houses destroyed.
SBU conducts searches in Yandex offices in Kiev and Odessa, under criminal code article of treason -TASS.
28 Ukraine failed to follow through on an agreement on separation of forces in Stanista Luganskaya.
Ukrainian-controlled Krasnogorovka was shelled, civilians were wounded. DPR announced an investigation; after conversations with locals submits that shelling was from Ukrainian-controlled Marinka and Kurakhovo.
26 May. DPR MOD: 378 ceasfire violations by Ukraine in the past week, 4456 missiles, artillery, tank and mortar shells fired. 4 DPR soldiers were killed and 4 wounded; 8 civilians wounded (Rus.)(Eng.)
25 May. DPR Minsk negotiator announced that another attempt of separation of forces is scheduled on 28 May in Stanitsa Luganskaya, LPR.
LPR commander Vladimir Tsvyah, call name Combat, and his reconnaissance chief were killed on the front lines, according to a war correspondent A. Rogatkin.
24 May. A civilian, 64 years old woman, was wounded and later died in hospital when Ukraine attacked a coach station in Trudovskie, Petrovskii region, Donetsk. 3 civilians were wounded in total in that attack.
Another Ukrainian provocation is reported in Avdeevka. DPR says that it was shelled with MLRS from Vodyanoe, in order to blame DPR. A civilian was wounded.
22 May. Northern suburb of Donetsk was fired on by Ukraine with MLRS missiles
A woman was wounded by Ukrainian shelling in Yasinovataya
Avdeevka coke-chemical plant was shelled by Ukraine, around a hectare of territory was on fire
21 May. One DPR soldier was killed by Ukrainian shelling
20 May. Poroshenko sends a batch of "beautiful T-80 tanks" to the front line. Also, meets Merkel.
A marriage in DPR, soldier & an author/ war correspondent.
In the past day, 3 DPR soldiers were killed, 1 wounded.
Two civilians were wounded when Ukraine opened fire on a coach station in Trudovskoe, western Donetsk; by preliminary information, RPG was used.
Residential area of Makeevka was hit by Ukrainian fire, houses were damaged -report and photo
19 May. DPR MOD: In the past week, 324 ceasefire violations by Ukraine, 2146 mortar, tank, artillery shells and missiles fired. , 2 DPR soldiers and 2 civilians killed, 5 soldiers and 6 civilians wounded. (Rus)(Eng.) (Strelkov: 5 killed, Yasinovataya checkpoint, on 17 or 18 May).
DPR ombudsman, 6-18 May: 14 killed, including 13 soldiers and 1 civilian woman killed on 17 May in Krutaya balka (video); 42 were wounded including 25 soldiers, 8 civilian women, 9 civilian men, including 2 children.
LPR sit-reps, Eng (still no disengagement in Stanitsa Luganskaya as of 18 May, despite many past attempts).
18 May. "Arrested SBU saboteur" give details about killing of LPR commander "Baggi"; appears to have a written text below camera view but give many details and could be legit) . Cooperated in investigation experiments, giving many details, quickly.
Ukrainian move to ban in Ukraine Russian-based social media such as Vkontacte was criticized (Ukr. source) by a Human Rights Watch representative and by Council of Europe Secretary General Thorbjørn Jagland. Media coverage: (Ukr. source); (TASS Eng).
14 May. Basurin: 1 DPR soldier wounded.
Poroshenko talks about continuing with Normandy format, describes details of US involvement, etc (Ukr.)
- Президент наголосив, що США не лише стратегічний партнер України, але і одна з країн-гарантів Будапештського меморандуму. «Безумовно, розраховуємо на дуже потужну і ефективну підтримку України з боку США, в тому числі і в Нормандському форматі», - зазначив Глава держави. Він додав: «Найближчим часом планується обрати спеціального представника США, який буде відповідати за координацію дій з Україною». ...Змінювалися прізвища, але був відповідний дипломат в ранзі посла, який повністю був проінформований про весь зміст переговорів у Нормандському форматі, і вони координувалися з нашими американськими партнерами
13 May. Ukrainian-controlled Avdeevka residential area was shelled, and 4 civilians were killed. Ukraine accused Novorossian fighters (Zhebrivskii)(112.ua)(glavkom.ua, with photos). DPR : 'This is another provocation, on orders of OG "Donetsk" commander with the involvement of the 72nd separate mechanized brigade, the Right Sector *, the National Guard of Ukraine, as well as foreign media, staged before Minsk'. - The 72nd brigade shoots on the positions of the DPR, the "Right Sector" shoots on Avdeevka, foreign media reports this." Opolchenie correspondent 'Krik' gives angry, emotional account close to DPR version of events, mentions a mortar strike by Right Sector (timed by VK 5:07 pm).
- A warning on provocation planned during Eurovision competition in Kiev was given on May 3. Details do not fully match (9 May in Kiev in the warning). However, Poroshenko drama, cancelling his Eurovision speech
- Basurin: After a thorough study of photos and video materials, which are demonstrated by the Ukrainian media, we affirm that the strike was inflicted from the side of the Vodyanoe settlement, which is under the control of Ukraine, and where, according to our intelligence, just the day before yesterday, FOUR tanks arrived and along two howitzers D-30 and self-propelled artillery "Acacia." We have previously repeatedly noted the presence in this area of such weaponry" (photos, graphics in the report)(Eng).
- Geolocated at Cassad
Basurin, posted on 14:10 local (Eng. transl.),(video): in the past day, 1 DPR soldier killed and 1 wounded. More shelling and provocations expected, prior to a contact group meeting in Minsk on May 15.
13 May In Krivoy Rog and ex-Dneprodzerzhinsk (now Kamenskoe), Dnepropetrovsk region of Ukraine, the radicals set fire to the offices of the "Opposition block" (Rusvesna),(112.ua: no victims, no suspects).
UAF: In the past day, two Ukrainian servicemen were killed in action yesterday, and six more were wounded ... One of the killed troops was an engineer who was demining an area, and the rest came under hostile fire.
11 May. Lugansk and Donetsk referendums were held 3 years ago (HQ, pro-peace, music/poetry commemoration video).
Ukrainian documentary investigation of Sheremet murder (20 July '16 news) appeared, claiming that an SBU man was seen near his home on the night of the murder; SBU spokeswoman Elena Gitlianskaya after movie release stated that this person was fired or left SBU on 29 Apr. 2014. More on Sheremet and talk pages.
Approval of visa-free regime for Ukraine keeps moving on, expected to be in place this June.
1 UAF soldier was killed and 4 wounded.
- Odessa videos: 'immortal regiment + young sailors, and music + sing-a-song+ clashes in the end.
- Kiev videos: clashes, OUN HQ 1 2,UNSO vs. 'Immortal Regiment'.
- Dnepr: ATO vets clashed with redflag 'socialists' and harshly subdued by police 1234.Filatov fuming, cutting funding to WW2 and funds ATO vets. Next day, regional and city police chiefs were fired.
- Mariupol: competing marches, St. George band burned by Ms Bandera.
- Immortal regiment-Moscow.
- The Value of Remembering-Amb. John Tefft, with a-call-for-unity type message.
8 May. DPR. Civilian woman is wounded by Ukrainian shelling in Zaitsevo, near Gorlovka -DAN news.
On the eve of the traditionally revered 9 May WW2 Victory Day celebrations (photo report), two fragmentation-type munitions were placed on a rode to Saur-Mogila memorial site, one of them exploded. No injuries or deaths reported. Zakharchenko blames Kiev. It is claimed that munitions were set on a timer and one exploded before Zakharchenko was about to travel the road for the celebrations. It is said that more timed charges were discovered after search. Presumed photos appeared (Timer-Odessa); Rusvesna has stock photos.
Poroshenko chutzpah attempt to link the so called 'ATO', results of which are covered here, with WW2 day of remembrance, showing himself and some ATO veterans in the background of Soviet WW2 memorial, despite being quite the opposite in that context. (Below: state emblem of the Soviet Union covered by Ukrainian and EU flags for the sake of presentation). Kiev plans to switch to 8 May holiday, aligning with the Western V-Day, instead of the traditional 9 May holiday in USSR/Russia; the move was criticized in Russia.
Odessa. Vandals destroyed avenue of birches in memory of victims on May 2, 2014 , destroyed Zhukov memorial --Timer-Odessa.
5 May. DPR MOD: in the past week, 339 ceasefire violations by Ukraine, 1788 banned by Minsk agreement missiles, artillery and mortar shells, tank shells were fired. 1 DPR soldier was skilled and 3 wounded. 1 civilian was killed and 5 wounded. (Eng.)(Rus.)
LPR: 39 ceasefire violations, 1,011 artillery and and mortar-shells fired by Ukraine (Eng.)
A document emerged in social media appearing to show a response of Ukrainian presidential administration official, telling that Minsk agreements are not legally binding and based on goodwill (TASS).
According to Ukrainian official sources, Russian ships 'attempted to capture' Ukrainian vessel, ordering it to 'stop and lay in drift' (застопорить ход и лечь в дрейф), (Rusvesna)(112.ua). That happened near Crimea where territorial waters may be disputed; Ukrainian sources make a point of the vessel response that it was in Ukrainian waters, while Russians believed it briefly entered Russian territory. Eventually the vessel continued on his way to Skadovsk. It is said that vessel crew will receive rewards, for what (if not accidental) could be a provocation with tragic consequences.
4 May. Radio Svoboda published a video of OSCE car explosion (see news, 23 Apr.) Rusvesna: who filmed it, and why? (geolocating camera on Ukrainian territory, and making a case that it is filmed by a high-res camera from Ukrainian fire correction mast). A user claim but no primary evidence that this is OSCE camera. Rusvesna: OSCE cameras display technical info, time, etc, and attribution. LPR blames Ukraine for the attack.
- Family of 7 home hit by shelling in Donetsk, published 11 May 2017
- DPR Sakhanka: life goes on under shelling, 11 Oct. 2016
- 'Suburbia of life', about the effect of the war on life in small villages and towns. Shelling, destruction, economic hardship. Slow running, in Russian. Sept. 29, 2016.
More videos on talk page
Aftermaths of Ukrainian shelling of the village Zheltoe (Yellow), LPR, 29 Nov. 2016 lug-info.
Note on sources. At present, pro -Ukrainian and pro-Russian sources more often than not offer opposing claims on events, and a choice needs to be made. Currently factual part of reporting by pro-Russian sources appear more accurate, complete, and closer to truth, out of the two available alternatives. It is also less known, as the other side has greater support by the Western mass media. For that reason, a lot of reporting here is based on Russian sources. It is not done for the sake of supporting any pre-determined narrative. If and when Ukrainian sources appear more accurate, they will be used without a reservation.
Some Ukrainian source reporting is very good, for example Tatyana Montyan numerous videos, some of them translated, are spot-on and at times appear closer to reality than any pro-this or that narratives. However the bulk of Ukrainian media is unreliable, and often just unbelievable, not passing cross checks (e.g. as was illustrated numerous times by well-read on both sides Ukrainian journalist Anatoly Sharii); or else, is filled with hate and may cheer more people harmed or killed (any of such sort, from any side, is totally unsupported here).
Official Ukrainian sources
- ATO press releases and maps
- Official website of Ukrainian president
- National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine
- Verhovna Rada
DPR and LPR
- DPR: DAN news (Eng).; DPR MOD, Russ.; DPR ombudsman, Russ.
- LPR: lug-info (Eng).
- Donbass international news agency, DoNi news (Eng.)
- 22.7.15 Under-100 mm weapons withdrawal was agreed Poroshenko statement: ' I hope it will be the real beginning of the ceasefire'.
- 12.2.15 Two documents were agreed: on measures on implementing Minsk protocol (English language PDF here).
Documenting Incidents, Human Rights violations
- Interactive map of human rights violations, human rights NCO organization 'Just Defense' based in Moscow in partnership with Ombudsman-DPR vkontakte (vk.com) Ombudsman-DPR -Daria Morozova (announcement video).
- Why They Are Killing Donbass? Novorossia TV with English subs. Blames consumerism, has very interesting cultural observations and quotations (incl late acad. Vladimir Arnold at 21:23 on educational reasons).
Gennady Korban (Kolomoiskii team) "ATO operation handling was a failure" ru.tsn.ua 'Korban made statements about corruption [...] and failed ATO handling' . Previously, criticized using heavy weapons in Donbass and suggested that at most police action is appropriate.
- '(...) Lies about Ukraine', -Boris Nemtsov, Leonid Martyniuk-blames Russian Government (based on inaccurate or later reversed statements made at the official level).
Blaming the USA
- Paul Craig Roberts ’ Address to the International Conference on the European/Russian Crisis Created by Washington', June 19, 2015. ...' Wolfowitz Doctrine...The gullibility of the public has enabled Washington to establish the foundation for a new Cold War...' ' "Washington doesn’t want partners. Washington wants vassals" ' 'European governments and, of course, the lapdog UK government, are complicit in this implicit declaration of war against Russia and China. If it comes to war, Europeans will pay the ultimate price for the treason of their leaders [...] as Europe will cease to exist'.
26.4.2016 'Maidan' activists protesting against city mayor Trukhanov, erecting light barricades at the city administration building, were dispersed by unknown activists armed with wooden sticks and pepper spray, several protesters were injured (photos, videos in the report).
With May 2 anniversary approaching, situation remain tense. Nationalists are making threats aimed at city administration. Regional governor Saakashvilli asked Poroshenko to deploy national guards to the city for the early days in May, explaining that those were tragic events which still resonate with many people, while those responsible were not brought to justice; and that he feels extra guards are really needed. It appeared that the request was granted, but than contradicting reports appeared.
15.1.2016 Maria Gaidar became assistant head of Odessa regional administration (Saakashvilli is the head)
6.1.2016 The subsistence minimum (this is known as poverty level in the West) per odessite in 2016 is as follows: from January 1 - 1330 hryvnia per month (that is 55 USD at this time) , from May 1 - 1399 hryvnia, from December 1 - 1496 hryvnia 1 TV, Odessa.
27.8 DPR all-for all prisoners exchange list includes 63 anti-maidan activists arrested or charged after May 2 events.
19.7 Saakasvilli clashed with Filatov, Kolomoiskii ally. Clash has to do with elections in Chernigov where another Kolomoiskii ally Korban is running. Saakashvilli is said to come to support opposing candidate Berezenko, his main opponent, but gave a different reason for the visit; that ended in verbal and almost physical clash with Filatov (video), and a court case threatened by Filatov.
17.7.2015 Maria Gaidar appointed vice-governor responsible for social policy. She is a daughter of late Yegor Gaidar (a reformer, acting prime minister of Russia in the second half of 1992). Indicated that her priority will be to show residents that regional authorities care about them. tAfter showing reluctance to persistent journalist questions on who Ukraine is fighting with, eventually provided] politically correct answer telling that Russia attacked Georgia and Ukraine (on her 4th attempt).
30.5.2015 Mikheil Saakashvili appointed governor of Odessa region. Poroshenko stated that knows Saakashvilli for a long time and trusts him. Control of Odessa port which may be used for military aid, Transnistria border, and creating positive image abroad, are seen as some of the reasons behind the appointment. Port control and other economic matters placed Saakashvilli on collision course with Kolomoiskii, whose ally was a previous Odessa governor.
Debaltsevo Damage to houses, big craters. It is said in the article that sometime UAF intentionally damaged houses by a direct fire.
- Donetsk Airport ~ Before and After, January 2015 . 3D model-sketchlab
- Luhansk Airport photos,-Graham Phillips and Cassad.
December 20, 2015: German freelance journalist Mark Batalmai, who has lived in Donetsk since mid-2014 and worked embedded with the opolchenie, releases his crowdfunded full-length documentary "Ukrainian Agony" in an English-language version (German-language original).
- 22.7.15 Under-100 mm weapons withdrawal was agreed Poroshenko statement: ' I hope it will be the real beginning of the ceasefire'.
- 12.2.15 Two documents were agreed: on measures on implementing Minsk protocol (English language PDF here).
Since now, December 23 2015, for the (n+1) time unconditional ceasefire is announced, although I do hope that one is the last, there is no warranty. So I'll just keep labels and dates for important but so far resurgent events here.
February 23 update: by the end of January, 2016, lots of shelling incidents are again reported daily. Once again, promises of ceasefire did not materialize.
- Unconditional Ceasefire in Donbas.
- 23.12.15 (starting 0:00, Dec 23, 2015, as announced-TASS
- Donetsk Airport, Donetsk suburbs shelled by Ukraine
- 13.2.16;9.2.16; 26.1.16(tank fire);25.1.16;21.1.16; 20.1.16;15.1.16; 13.1.16;31.12.15 (Staromikhailovka); 29.12; 28.12.15 (Zhabichevo); 27.12.15(Petrovskyi) ; 26.12.15(Spartak); 24.12.15 ; 13.12.15 (Dokuchaevsk) .
- (Every other day, up until now)
- Gorlovka, nearby villages shelled (Rusvesna updates-Gorlovka)
- 13.2.16;21.1.16; 11/12.1.16 (Engl).; 10.1.16 (1 DPR killed) 9.1.2016; 27.12.15; 24.12.15.
- (Similar to the above)
- Villages near Mariupol shelled by Ukraine
- 25.1.16 (artillery, from Mariupol);Kominternovo: 21.1.16;31.12.15 29.12.15 ; 24.12.15 + Basurin & OSCE came under sniper fire, 27.12
28.4.16 Detailed discussion of Nuland visit and Minsk progress by a Ukrainian source. Renewed push, with a deadline of having laws in place by the end of May, implementation by the end of summer is noted. IMF loan to Ukraine may be linked to Minsk implementation, as well as adoption of a packet of other required laws. However, so far Poroshenko tactics was to delay implementation hoping that time is on the side of Ukraine, and such an approach may last forever.
25.3.16 Foreign Minister Steinmeier in Moscow: "We need Russia to help resolve conflicts". Highlights insufficient progress implementing Minsk-2.
27.1.16 Constitutional amendments: Russia's position in Minsk talks:
- the vote on the Constitution of Ukraine should be tightly linked to the simultaneous adoption of the amendments to Articles 1 and 10 of the law on the special status of Donbass by giving special status of a permanent framework according to "Steinmeier formula";
- revision of the amendments to the law on the special status should be agreed in the contact group;
- A legal formula has to be found that guarantees that paragraph 18 of the transitional provisions of the Constitution will refer to the current wording of articles 2-9 of the law on the special status and to new, agreed by the contact group, wording of Articles 1 and 10;
- This formula should be fixed (закрепить (Rus) = lit. 'fix, make firm'; here 'used'/'entered') in the Constitution of Ukraine;
- it is also necessary to legislate in the Constitution of Ukraine, that the powers of those representatives elected in Donbass elections under a separate law will not be discontinued in 2017, as is envisaged in the constitutional reform for the rest of Ukraine
11.1. 2016 Boris Gryzlov visited Kiev. Next trilateral group meeting is on 13.1.2016 in Minsk.
Normandy four agreed to extend Minsk agreements into the year of 2016, TASS, Dec. 30, 2015
24.12.2015 Kuchma fools around trying to reinterpret Minsk agreements, demanding border control and in effect DPR/LPR disarmament prior to elections. This is not what was agreed (and could not possibly be agreed the way he tries to put it now, with Novorossia advancing militarily at the time of the agreement). Dirty games now, and so not surprisingly no progress...
18.11.2015 Ukraine did not show up for a contact group meeting where a law on special elections in Donbas was to be discussed. Previously, it was reported that sides could not reach an agreement. According to Pushilin, agenda included a ban for Ukrainian political parties to participate in local elections in Donbas, mechanism of participation for temporary displaced persons, and amnesty law.
15.3 Minsk 3 ? It is rumored that part of Ukrainian leadership is seeking a compromise and another Minsk meeting. Maybe an info release merely testing waters; but the essence of compromise is said to be a special mode to local government which covers the entire territory of the Lugansk and Donetsk regions (including those controlled by Ukraine), but these areas will be led by the people agreed as Kiev and Moscow, and the other members of the Minsk process (Germany and France). It is said that a similar proposal was made a year ago after a meeting involving Kuchma, Medvedchuk, and DPR, but Poroshenko refused to consider it and started the ATO instead. Ukrainian media claim that the plan is actually coming from "representatives of Moscow".
- Kremlin 'melancholically denied' (Cassad) re-interpretations/free interpretations of Minsk TASS
12.6.15 Poroshenko expects to submit de-centralization bill to Rada by the end of parliamentary session in July
- other constitutional changes proposed by the sides: see news entry for 9.6.15 above
10.6.15 Kuchma: Russia insists on including Novorosiia representatives into tripartite liaison group, Normandy format ; but his is not acceptable to us; they are included as consultants.
17-19.03 Russia called for a UNSC closed door meeting to discuss Ukraine breaking Minsk 2 agreements. Later Lavrov criticized the US position, and indicated further diplomatic moves and planned meetings in in Normandy format
16.03 Special status law requires elections based on laws of Ukraine prior to such special status. LPR/DPR were not consulted about this (although that is required in Minsk 2 agreements). With leaders of LPR/DPR and Soviets recently elected already, another elections will be problematic. There were no local elections though, may be local elections can be arranged in a way acceptable to both sides.
14.03 Poroshenko introduced special status law for Rada consideration -TASS quoting Rada site.
13.03 Zakharchenko and Plotniskii write to Hollande and Merkel about Ukraine not fulfilling its obligations: not following schedule on heavy weapons withdrawal; (most importantly) Rada has not started discussing special status for Donetsk, Lugansk regions--that work is supposed to finish by 14 March; continued economic blockade.
27.02 UNSC meeting on Ukraine started with OSCE report, highlighting state of affairs and challenges OSCE faces. Overall partial calming of warfare in the past several days noted. Neither side was willing to provide details of heavy weapons they posses, or their exact destination after proposed withdrawal. Technology (e.g. satellite), experts, and procedures need to be upgraded for OSCE to fulfill its required mission (video of OSCE presentation in Russian translation is here, other languages not found at this time)
- abc news report dailystar SBS
- Churkin gives a brief account of the UNSC closed door meeting TASS-English
19.02 Poroshenko has held a phone conversation in the Normandy format, told them "not to pretend that the events in Debaltseve meet the Minsk agreements". He has also urged to elaborate clear guarantees for the possible attempts of violating the given agreements in the future. (Debaltsevo situation was known in Minsk--indeed he should not be pretending).
18.02 Poroshenko plans to ask for UN peacekeepers
14.02 Russia introduced UN SC resolution approving Minsk agreements of February 12. So far, English speaking world, UK and USA, did not clearly expressed their positions, and it may give an indication. So far, it was along the lines that Russia has to deliver, and may be further sanctioned otherwise, while Ukraine has nothing to deliver, and will not be sanctioned for failures. Russian officials called for a change of such approach, taking a position that the conflict is internally Ukrainian and Russia is not a participant (example). While Russian media are making presentations indicating that it is the USA who is a participant, in Kiev overlord capacity (example).
12.02 Two documents were agreed:
- on measures on implementing Minsk protocol (English language PDF here). Ceasefire starting on February 15; separation of heavy weapons (from actual line for Ukraine, and from September 19 line for Novorossia; this enlarges separation), starting in 2 days from ceasefire, finishing in 14 days. All for all prisoners exchange, to finish in 5 days from separation begins. Time limits are given for all major steps. Return of border control to Ukraine is agreed to occur after local elections and constitutional reform (taking interests of breakaway regions into account)
- declaration of support of Ukrainian peace settlement. This includes support and control of implementation.
10.02 Contact Group agrees (a plan of) heavy troops withdrawal, ceasefire regime -TASS
- It may be the case that sides do not make binding obligations, but approve and support listed measures (language is a bit vague, if something is broken later, or sides do not agree whether later vague steps actually occurred, not clear exactly what will follow)
Still no direct contact between official Kiev and Novorossia. -(Mentioned by Putin in his press statement as one of the reasons negotiations took so long, had to go back and forth with Trilateral Group).
08.02 After telephone conference today, it is said that Normandy four to meet in Minsk on 11.02 if some positions will be resolved prior to that. Details of positions not explained. (Lukashenko talked to both Putin and Poroshenko about this and is happy and keen for them to come to Minsk)
06.02 Hollande-Merkel-Putin talks are finished in Moscow, it is said that a Normandy format document is being prepared based on meetings in Kiev and Moscow. Phone conference call in Normandy format expected on Sunday. (--Putin spokesman Peskov, TASS).) Putin off to Sochi, meets Lukashenko and rests; Hollande and Merkel also departing Moscow.
Plotniskii and Zakharchenko press conference -explains Republics position why it is not their fault that latest Minsk meeting did not succeed (English subs).
Victor Baloga, Governor of trans-Carpathian region of Ukraine, proposes a referendum on whether to continue war or separate from the rebel regions. Also, Gennady Korban, assistant Governor, Dnepropetrovsk, proposes to choose between war and an agreement.
8.7.15 Zakharchenko, at a a joint LPR/DPR press conference: "In 2015, 1212 people were killed, including 25 children under the age of 18 years ". During the conflict in 2014, 3864 DPR peeople died , including 522 women and 65 children. "That is more than 5000 of our people were killed just because they are residents of Donbass." (unclear is this civilian deaths or total deaths--probably total). More than 6,200 people, including women, children and the elderly were seriously injured and became disabled for life were . More than two thousand DPR inhabitants are missing.
14.8.15 From the start of hostilities, 5061 people were killed, among them 4295 men and 766 women, according to the Office of the Commissioner for Human Rights in DPR; and according to the Center for Emergency Medical Aid, 6100 were wounded Dan-news, 14.8.15. The figure is close to the one given by Zakharchenko in July (he had a higher number of 5076, so a small discrepancy here)
3.12.15 DPR ombudsman: during the conflict, almost 80 children were killed in Donbass, Rossiiskaia Gazeta, 3.12.2015. According to DPR ombudsman Yana Chepikova, uring the hostilities, 78 children were killed in DPR, 313 were injured, 35 of them seriously injured. In LPR, 30 children were killed according to data available.
19.02 Zakharchenko: Ukrainian losses in Debaltsevo cauldron may be up to 3 -3.5 thousand killed. There are plans to release or exchange those taken prisoners.
16.02 UAF: estimated 60 killed; NAF 2 killed, 21 wounded (source).
14.02 for the day and up to the ceasefire started: UAF lost 111 killed, NAF lost 8 killed, 28 wounded -Basurn
13.02 up to 100 UAF killed Basurin, DPR
12.02 Day + night, UAF lost 169 killed (links in the news section)
04.02.15 UAF losses: 21 killed
03.02.15 UAF losses estimated at 79 killed.
02.02.15 UAF losses estimated at 130 killed.
- Totals. In 29 days, up to ceasefire starting, 2760 UAF killed, 60 taken prisoners -Basurn
- In 22 days since fighting restarted, 2056 UAF killed (Basurin)
- 17 Jan.-3 Feb. UAF losses estimated at 1738 killed, 52 taken prisoners (Basurin, DPR).
According to the Head of the DNI, the year the war seriously injured for life became disabled more than 6,200 people, including women, children and the elderly. More than two thousand inhabitants DNI missing. 08.02 Many instances of shelling of Donetsk with MLRS (including Uragans), and artillery. One very powerful explosion (videos available) was reported as well. Later it was said that a chemical plant producing paints and dry mixes in Donetsk was hit by a heavy artillery shell (DPR did not confirm that it was ammunition plant); preliminary information is that nobody was killed in that explosion.
07.02 After ceasefire ended on 6.02, Ukraine attempted an attack on the whole front line; the attack was repelled. 6 civilians were killed, 15 wounded in Donetsk due to shelling by Ukraine from the North-West.
05.02. Shelling by Ukraine had 7 civilians killed, 44 wounded, most of them in Donetsk. Schools, hospitals, kindergartens hit. Ukraine is using Smerch MLRS; range is 80 km; a full salvo covers an area of 8 football fields.
22.01 Donetsk bus shelled at least 8 killed, 13 injured
- Residents react abusively to UAF 'cyborg' officer captured earlier at the Airport and brought to the scene
- Totals. Latest official UN figure: 224 civilians killed and 545 wounded in the three weeks leading up to 1 February. According to the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), the overall death toll now exceeds 5,358 people, with another 12,235 wounded since mid-April last year (Deaths here are likely certified, and mostly civilian).
In 6 months ending July 2015, 164 civilians were killed, including 16 children; 501 were wounded, including 42 are children DAN news, quoting city administration data,31 July 2015.
- Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, "Accountability for killings in Ukraine from January 2014 to May 2016" -report. Blames both sides, but Western media mostly highlightes alleged crimes by rebels. While large number of civilian shelling victims are reported as if it is not known who is predominantly to blame. Significant number of other cases are likely not fully investigated or included in the report.
- "Ukraine crisis: Impunity 'pervasive' in east, says UN" , BBC, 14 July 2016 (highlights one case in rebel controlled Luhansk, where some Cossacks were accused of a crime)
Military Hardware Lost
23.02 Zakharchenko: 'Poroshenko is our main ally'. In 5 days at Debaltsevo, 170 UAF tanks were captured or destroyed; most of them can be repaired. Also, 50 artillery pieces; they did not even count mortars. Ammunition, still move it out by railroad wagon-loads.
19.02 In Debaltsevo, opolchenie captured 265 pieces of UAF military equipment. 28 tanks, 63 BMP/BTR, 145 vehicles, 16 anti-aircraft guns, 13 artillery and mortar pieces were found in good condition and have been adopted by the DPR army. Also captured: about 1000 firearms, 39 ammunition storages and 2 railroad card with ammunition -Basurin
14.02 4 Grads launchers and ammunition seized by NAF near Debaltsevo -Basurn
02-03.02.15 UAF lost 5 tanks, 1 BMP, 11 artillery pieces, one plane (and/or one Tochka U)
- Totals: for 29 days, up to ceasefire: UAF lost 3 airplanes, 1 helicopter, 205 tanks, 182 BMP, BTR, MTLB, 208 field artillery guns, 124 vehicles -Basurn
- for 22 days since fighting restarted: UAF lost 3 planes, 1 helicopter, 168 tanks, 133 BMP/BTR, 124 artillery pieces, 94 vehicles
- 17 Jan.-3 Feb. UAF lost 3 planes, 1 helicopter, 146 tanks, 114 BMP/BTR, 91 artillery pieces, 64 vehicles
Banned Weapons Use
There were numerous reports on phosphorus bomb use, with consistent photo and video footage, witness reports, burns consistent with such weapons use, etc. Many articles on Rusvesna on this topic. One of them here, for example, contain a photo of an explosion, and video, allegedly of nationalist battalion fighters, based on colors/regalia, discussing and accepting that such munitions were used by Ukraine (dated 13.02.2015 ). There were numerous other such incidents. The latest phosphorous munition report is by DoNI press, , translated at Fort Russ, Apr. 24, 2016, from Zaitsevo.
02.02.15 Report on phosphorous ammunition used against civilians by Ukraine-burns can be seen.
More photos, sky alight in Marinka (Donetsk suburb), Aug. 1, 2014
04.02.15 UAF shelled Telmanovo from Mirnoe by Smerch MLRS, civilian houses destroyed
28.01.15 OSCE confirms (03.02.15 report) that cluster Smerch munitions were used against Artemivskyi district of Luhansk, shelling was from NNW. (Shelling done by Ukraine).
- Deutsche Wirtschafts Nachrichten: "The IMF has pumped billions in recent months into the Ukrainian financial system to stabilize the country's banks. Approximately $ 1.8 billion were going to the largest financial institution Private Bank, which is controlled by the oligarch Igor Kolomoiski. But instead of investing the money into the Ukrainian economy, Kolomoiski has managed to channel the emergency loans through a network of offshore companies abroad".  Ukrainian anti-corruption project "Our Money" ('Наші гроші' (ukr) = "Nashi Groshi") is quoted as offering an explanation of the scheme, involving a 'purchase' of foreign goods which were never delivered, using a credit from Private Bank, and the payment deposited to accounts in off-shore branches of the Privat Bank. 
- Ukrainian $18 bln debt (held in bonds) will receive a 20% 'haircut'. However, between 2021 and 2040 investors will receive up to 40 per cent of the value of Ukraine’s annual economic growth above 4 per cent, although total payments will be capped at 1 per cent for the first four years.   Ukrainian GDP is 177.4 billion USD (2013) -by google search. It went down quite a lot in 2014; but the IMF projection is 134 bln USD in 2020. One percent of that in growth is 1.3 bln; such amount may be paid to investors for 20 years bringing 26 bln USD. Write-off amount is about 3.6 bln USD. This wonderful deal is called a 'win-win' by Ukrainian finance minister and the Guardian . Franklin Templeton is one of the largest investors involved. Russia has 3 bln USD in Ukrainian debt and is not participating in the deal.(Vasili Muravitskii/Cassad brought up this matter).
- Opolchenie version of events. Rusvesna-news (rusvesna.su, Russian) , (rusvesna.su, English) , (rusnext.ru, Russian).
- Official Donetsk People Republic (DPR) news dan-news.info.
- Oplot TV-Donetsk Live now , youtube channel vk Oplot TV
- First Republican Channel-DPR youtube vk ('official channel of DPR', created in April 2014, and unofficially broadcasting some material online; possibly re-broadcasting Russia 24 in their vacant slots.
- Lugansk People Republic (LPR) news: LPR Sovet (legislature) site, news, luganskallnews.ru, news, lug-info.com
- OSCE SMM-Ukraine
- TASS Chronicle-link to daily updates, (Russian) , TASS - Ukraine (English) (easiest to search).
- Daily Press Briefings - US Department of State
- "Les masques de la revolution", Russian dubbed over French version, Feb. 1, 2016
- 'Times of Donbass' (Italian/Russian), Jan 12, 2016
- 13,3% would vote for the party "Block of Petro Poroshenko"
- 12,8% - for the All-Ukrainian Union "Fatherland" (Yulia Timosenko)
- 6,8% - for the party "Union Samopomich" (Sadovyi)
- 5,8% - for the Radical Party of Oleg Lyashko,
- 4,1% - for the party "Opposition block" (Boyko) --formerly 'Party of Regions'-Yanukovich
- 3,1% - for the party "Civil position"
- 3,0% - for the party "Right Sector"
- 3,2% - have crossed all the parties /spoiled bulletin
- 14,3% - chose not to vote,
- 23,5% - hard to choose,
- 2,6% - refusal
- Source: Socio-Political Situation In Ukraine: July 2015. Report also have opinions on various peace/Russia issues, by region (English).
- In DPR/LPR, polling is done by Center for Sociological Study 'Special Status' (Центр социологических исследований «Особый статус» -russ.) Here is their opening presentation. Poll results are published by news sources.
- DPR poll conducted in the beginning of August in 19 DPR towns, 5900 people took part, 5% statistical error
- 43 % for DPR to join the Russian Federation (33.8% 3 months ago)
- 17 % for DPR to be independent ('sovereign') (42.8 % 3 months ago)
- 18 % for the 'creation of a joint state' (unclear what that would be exactly- some sort of autonomy aligned with Russia)
- 11 % ('not more than') for DPR as a part of Ukraine. 14.9 % see some future with Ukraine following Minsk agreements (18.8 % 3 months ago)
DPR: Donetsk People Republic (prime minister: Alexander Zakharchenko)
LPR: Lugansk People Republic (head: Igor Plotniskii)
JCCC Joint Center for Control and Co-ordination, consists of Ukrainian and Russian military officers,- tries to mediate to have ceasefire implemented.
MLRS: Multiple Launch Rocket System, Grad/Uragan/Smerch. Uragan or Smerch typically have cluster munitions
UAF (=AFU): Ukrainian Armed Forces
NAF (=AFN): Opolchenie, Novorossia Armed Forces
OSCE: Organization for Security and Co‑operation in Europe
RSG: recon and subversion group
SMM: Special Monitoring Mission-OSCE===References===
Here comes a third pi
Very cool! Should be fun to work with, but no promises I'll figure it out just yet. --Caustic Logic 07:35, 4 October 2012 (EST)
Houla (May 25, 2012)
Daraya (August 25, 2012)
Tremseh (July 12, 2012)
Sari Saoud (November 26, 2011)
- Deutsche Wirtschafts Nachrichten, "Ukrainischer Oligarch bereichert sich an IWF-Krediten", 27.08.15
- RT (Russian), "DWN: Коломойский «оприходовал» транш МВФ и скрылся в Америке", 28.08.2015
- Financial Times, "Ukraine secures debt deal for war-ravaged economy", 27.8.2015
- Finance Ministry of Ukraine, Ukraine and the Ad Hoc Creditors' Committee agree on Indicative Heads of Terms for restructuring of sovereign and sovereign guaranteed Eurobonds, 27.8.2015
- The Guardian, Ukraine agrees 'win-win' debt restructuring deal, 27.8.2015