Venezuela coup attempt 2019
On January 23, 2019, the just installed president of the defunct national assembly Juan Guaidó declares himself president of Venezuela and gets recognized by US-President Trump and the governments of Canada and most of South America.
- 1 Some background
- 2 Timeline of the coup attempt
- 3 Fake News?
- 4 US Aid scam
- 5 Weapons smuggling
- 6 Power grid sabotage
- 7 Diplomatic recognition
- 8 US war plans
- 9 Analysis
- 10 Public figures statements
- 11 Official statements
- 12 Aggregate sources
- U.S. Interventions in Latin America 1846-1996
- US ‘Regime Changes’: the Historical Record
- 1989 Thousands of people die at the hands of the military in mass protests against the government in an event remembered as "Caracazo".
- 1999 Hugo Chavez Frias wins the presidential election in Venezuela with the stated intent to end the frozen two-party-system that ruled the country since decades. This follows a coup attempt he led in 1992 but called off when it was clear that it would fail, taking public responsibility for it. While going to prison for some years, he gained the respect of many.
- 2002 Coup attempt. Rogue military elements kidnap Chavez and some right-wing politicians declare themselves the new leaders and suspend the constitution. Western media cheers. The poor come down in masses from the favelas and demand their president's return. A helicopter brings him back to the presidential palace from the island he was hold upon. The putschists go largely unpunished. The events are covered in detail in the documentary film The Revolution will not be Televised See also
- Warm relations with Cuba; good relations with Iran, under Chavez
- 2004 Chavez and Castro form the The Bolivarian Alliance for the Peoples of our America (ALBA) partnership for economic development with principles opposed to neo-liberal 'free trade'. Alongside other left wing governments such as Nicuagua,Bolivia and Ecuador. What is the Alba?
- 2005 On initiative of Chavez, Venezuela, Cuba and other ALBA countries form teleSUR as international media voice broadcasting in Spanish as well as in English. teleSUR About Us
- 2013 Hugo Chavez dies of cancer and then-vice president Maduro becomes acting president, then elected president
- 2014. Two-fold drop in oil prices, after events in Ukraine (possibly following USSR - Afghanistan scenario or otherwise), having serious impact on countries whose main hard currency income is coming from oil, such as Venezuela and Russia
- February 2015 Alleged coup plotters arrested: Syria Backs Venezuela In Condemning Alleged US-Supported Coup Attempt
- March 2015: President Obama issues executive order "declaring a national emergency with respect to the unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security and foreign policy of the United States posed by the situation in Venezuela" and placing sanctions on leading Venezuelan officals
- August 2017 Sees the formation of the Lima Group from OAS governments opposed to the Maduro presidency. Some commentators argue the Lima group violates the OAS charter.
- December 2017. Koch brothers sue Venezuela over the expropriation of their industrial interests by Chavez in 2010. See Twitter thread on links to Koch brothers of the regime change gang Rubio, Pompeo and Pence. Greg Palast had previously looked at the Koch's need for heavy crude as found in Venezuela.
- 2018 Attempting to circumvent financial sanctions the government launched the 'petro', an oil and gold backed crypto currency, the petro was targeted for further sanctions by the White house.
- 4 August 2018: At a rally, the stage with Maduro on it is attacked by drones, one of which explodes prematurely, causing no damage. While this is seen as assassination attempt by the government, in "the West" it is alleged that the footage was staged or the event a "false flag" by "the regime". In March 2019, CNN airs a segment on how they met the plotters of that suddenly very real attack. (teleSUR article, CNN video segment)
- November 2018. Venezuela misses $200m of interest payments on some of its $63bn of outstanding foreign bonds.
- 5 December 2018. Maduro visits Moscow, seeking investments or aid. $6bn of investments and deals announced.
- 10 December, 2018. Russia flies two Tu-160 strategic bombers to Venezuela, with some talk about military base plans.
- January 2019. Venezuela assumes the rotating presidency of OPEC for one year. Maduro declares that one central goal will be to push for oil payments in non-dollar currencies or in cryptocurrencies.
- Minister pushing Venezuela regime change discussed its oil with petrol company - Matt Kennard, Declassified UK, November 16, 2021
Timeline of the coup attempt
- January 5, 2019: Guaido assumes the rotating presidency of the National Assembly, saying: "We reaffirm the illegitimacy of Nicolas Maduro. As of January 10, he will be usurping the presidency and consequently this National Assembly is the only legitimate representative of the people."
- Foreign Minister Jorge Arreaza accuses the Lima group of encouraging a government overthrow, after the group refuses to recognize Maduro's new presidential term.
- Dept spokesperson for US state dept: Today the United States celebrates the swearing-in of the new Executive Board of Venezuela’s National Assembly led by Deputy Juan Guaidó as its President. Chargé d’Affaires James Story attended this important event. The National Assembly is the only legitimate and last remaining democratically elected institution that truly represents the will of the Venezuelan people... 
- January 10, 2019: Maduro starts his second term as president of Venezuela
- AP Exclusive: Anti-Maduro coalition grew from secret talks - Associated Press, January 26, 2019
- Pence Pledged U.S. Backing Before Venezuela Opposition Leader’s Move - Wall Street Journal, January 25, 2019
- Twenty-eight people were killed in Venezuela between January 21 and 24. Venezuelan human rights organization SURGENTES examines who has been most affected by the spiral of violence.
- Venezuelan Capital Returns to Normal Life, Atmosphere Calming After Protests - Sputnik, January 25, 2019
- Elliott Abrams, prominent D.C. neocon, named special envoy for Venezuela - Politico, January 25, 2019
- Juan Guaidó ...
- ... plans Citgo leadership shakeup, new Venezuela hydrocarbons law - S&P Global Platts, January 24, 2019
- ... considering request for funds from IMF - Reuters, January 25, 2019
- ... urges fresh protests and bids for Russia and China backing - The Guardian, January 26, 2019
- Emergency UN Security Council Meeting on Venezuela, January 26, 2019
- Matt Lee later reports on the UN Sec General's absence from the meeting.
- Maduro Folds Under Siege, Allows US Diplomats To Stay - ZeroHedge, January 27, 2019
- Last Group of US Diplomats Left Venezuela - Maduro - Sputnik, January 27, 2019
- John Bolton announces that the U.S. government has just blocked $7 billion in assets of PDVSA, Venezuela's state-owned oil company. Via Mission Verdad Twitter, 28 January, 2019
- Hint to Maduro? '5000 Troops to Colombia,' Reads Bolton Notepad -Bloomberg, January 29, 2019
- Venezuelan army defectors appeal to Trump for weapons - CNN, January 29, 2019
- Venezuela top court curbs opposition leader Juan Guaidó - BBC, January 30, 2019
- Jan 31: European Parliament votes to recognize Guaido as President. Official stance on recognition is left to member states, but establishes a contact group aiming for "free and fair elections" and political transition.
- Feb 1: Pence whines in front of "a cheering crowd" ... in Miami ... "This is no time for dialogue. This is time for action … The time has come to end the Maduro dictatorship once and for all". Bolton fantasizes in a radio interview about sending Maduro to Guantanamo.
- Twitter Bans 2,000 Pro-Maduro Accounts As Demands For Regime Change Escalate, Zero Hedge, February 1, 2019
- Feb 4: After an "ultimatum" for new elections expires, major EU nations recognize Guaido as Venezuela’s acting president, in some cases via twitter. The EU countries did not reach unanimity due to objections from Italy and Greece.
- In Ottawa their Lima group meets and issues a declaration expressing the recognition and support for Juan Guiado as interim president.
- “The latest communique of the Lima Group is ridiculous. We do not know whether to laugh or vomit … I am absolutely convinced that we will win in this battle, in this historical period, we will win against the Lima cartel, I am convinced that we will win in diplomacy and politics,” Maduro said the following day.
- What Is Going on in Venezuela? Testimonies on the Ongoing Coup - Venezuelanalysis, February 4, 2019
- Feb 6, 7: A convoy of 'humanitarian aid' approaching Columbian border city of Cucuta provides propaganda opportunities for Pompeo and Guaido
- “The US will consider sanctions off-ramps for any Venezuelan senior military officer that stands for democracy and recognizes the constitutional government of President Juan Guaido,”...“If not, the international financial circle will be closed off completely. Make the right choice!” said John Bolton.
- Feb 7: The EU instigated International Contact Group met in Montevideo without coming to unanimity
- Red Cross, UN Slam ‘Politicised’ USAID Humanitarian Assistance to Venezuela - Paul Dobson, February 11, 2019
- Feb 12: The BBC interviews Maduro (transcript).
- Feb 14: AP interviews Maduro who "reveals secret meetings with US envoy". Euronews also interviews the Venezuelan president (transcript).
- Feb 16: More "aid" is delivered to Cucuta in three US military C-17 cargo planes.
- Feb 17: Six members of EU parliament who came for meeting Guaido are deported from the country, just as they were told they would before entering. Marco Rubio tweets a video of himself standing on the Colombian side of the now-famous bridge with the containers in the background, demanding entry.
- Feb 19: Trump and Bolton threaten Venezuelan military officers with sanctions on their families living abroad.
- Feb 22: Elliot Abrams flies with US military to Cucuta to meet Ivan Duque and to accompany USAID.
- Feb 23: Juan Guaido flees to Colombia, Venezuela stops diplomatic relations with the neighboring country.
- Feb 25: The Brazilian military opts-out of any "adventurism" at a meeting of the Lima group. US calls for a UN security council meeting on Venezuela
- Feb 25: Maduro reportely detains and expels Univision journalist Jorge Ramos after confrontational interview. ABC interviews the president without problems, asking all the questions Ramos allegedly did as well, including about people eating out of garbage trucks. Jorge Ramos has form in such provacative stunts.
- Feb 26: Jorge Arrezea counters accusations at the UNSC, whilst Russian envoy and Elliot Abrams clash (UN briefing). New board of Citgo severs its relationship with PDVSA.
- Feb 28: The UNSC votes on two opposing draft resolutions sponsored by the US and Russia, which both are predictably not adopted.
- Mar 1: Venezuelan vice president Delcy Rodriguez visits Moscow and holds a joint press conference with Lavrov.
- Mar 4: Bolton announces that Guaido will return to Venezuela and threatens escalation if he isn't allowed to. Pence echoes the threat. In the evening he lands at Caracas airport without any complications.
- Mar 6: The German ambassador, who was at the airport to "protect" Guaido at his arrival and called for "free elections", leaves the country after being declared persona non grata by the government.
- Infamous Russian pranksters Vovan and Lexus publish recordings of a call they had with Elliott Abrams, successfully making him believe that he's speaking with the president of Switzerland. Abrams assures "him" that the talk of "all options on the table" is only to make the Venezuelan military nervous, and military action will not happen unless "they do something completely crazy like attacking the US Embassy".
- State Dept and Marco Rubio protest after Venezuelan authorities question american journalist Cory Weddler
- Mar 7. Major electric power failure, with some reports suggesting 'sabotage'.
- Maduro: The electric war announced and directed by US imperialism against our people will be defeated.
- Mar 14. Vovan and Lexus call with Juan Guaido. Open him a personal Swiss account, nominate Navalnyi the president of Russia, Russian snipers to protect Maduro, and other fantasies (Eng), (Rus).
- Mar 17: Venezuelan Military Deserters Abandoned by Colombian Government
- Mar 18: The US allows some random people acting in the name of Guaido to overtake two buildings in New York and one in Washington, used by Venezuela for diplomatic purposes, blatantly violating the Vienna convention.
- Mar 20: CODE PINK activists sleep over at the Venezuelan embassy in Washington to prevent it from being taken over like the three diplomatic buildings before.
- Mar 21. Guaido said preparing operation for the final seizure of power in Venezuela (Gabriel Bastidas),(freenews), (TASS Rus.)
- Mar 23. Two RU AF flights, IL-62 and AN-124 arrived to Venezuela. Some men in military style fatigues seen - Cassad 1, 2. First assistant commander of the Russian Army, General Vasily "Thin skin" Tonkoshkurov, arrived at the Maiquetía Airport with a delegation of 99 military personnel, according to journalist Javier I. Mayorca. "35 tons of cargo delivered on board of the An-124 . Earlier, Maduro said that Russia will soon begin the supply of medicines to Venezuela"- Cassad.
- Mar 24. TASS Rus., 21:28 Msk: "Guaido urges Venezuelans to prepare for an operation to seize power in the country." (The article refers to an Instagram post by Guiado, which is presently unavailable or not easy to find).
- Mar 27. Asked by a member of parliament if the "ambassador" of Guaido, a person involved in the 2002 coup attempt, would be accepted as diplomatic representative of Venezuela, the German government said no. Despite the fact that it has verbally "recognized" Guaido, no measures have been taken to change something in the representation of Venezuela. The same has (not) happened in other EU-countries.
- Mar 28. Venezuela's Comptroller General Elvis Amoroso barrs Juan Guaido from holding public office for 15 years over irregularities in his financial activities.
- Apr 2. The National Constituent Assembly strips Guaido of his parliamentary immunity.
- After several blackouts during the week before, blamed by the government on sabotage, Maduro announces a rationing plan to combat especially the water shortages caused by the ongoing electricity problems.
- Apr 9. The OAS recognizes Guaido associate as a representative, prompting Venezuela to quit the OAS
- Venezuela Walks from OAS as Body Violates Charter in Support of US-Backed Coup Alexander Rubinstein, Mint Press, April 12,2019
- Apr 15. Mike Pompeo (video)visits warehouse holding USAID in Cucuta Columbia at the end of his three day trip to South America
- Mike Pompeo Continues Venezuela Regime Change Tour – Vows to ‘Tighten Noose’ Ricardo Vaz, Mint Press April 16, 2019
- Apr 24. US activists are still protecting the Venezuelan Embassy in Washington DC from a take-over by Guaido's people. State Dept publishes a fact sheet of US actions on venezuela, later picked up by the Greyzone despite its being removed.
April 30 Military Coup attempt
- From outside the La Carlota air base, Juan Guaidó asks the opposition to activate "Operation Freedom" to carry out a coup d'état.
- ‘Traitor troops’ seize part of a caracas neighbourhood. "The small group of soldiers who accompany Guaidó in this operation are placing weapons on the Francisco Fajardo highway"
- Telesur: Venezuelan Vice President of Communications, Jorge Rodriguez,.. "We inform to Venezuelan people that we are currently confrontating and deactivating a small group of traitors in our military personnel who positioned themselves in the Altamira Distributor to promote a Coup d'Etat against the Constitution and the peace of the Republic."
- Updated coverage from Moon of Alabama: It has now been confirmed that Guadió and Lopez did not enter the La Carlota air base. It is under control of government forces. Some soldiers are said to have been "deceived"....
- Video of soldiers who fled from the coup plotters
- Calm Atmosphere Near La Carlota Military Base - 1.50pm Madelin Garcia, Telesur
- Leopoldo Lopez and family have taken refuge in the Embassy of Chile in Caracas. Eva Golinger on Twitter
- Venezuela - Guaidó Got Snookered - White House Starts Beating War Drums Moon of Alabama May 1, 2019
- Venezuela: Guaidó’s Botched Coup – What Does it Mean and What's Next? Venezuelaanalysis May 1, 2019
- Venezuela: Lopez Arrest Warrant Issued as Military Show Strength for Maduro Paul Dobson Venezuelaanalysis May 2, 2019
- Venezuela's Failed Uprising: How a Deal to Oust Maduro Unraveled - Ethan Bronner and Andrew Rosati, Bloomberg, May 3, 2019
- MAJOR: Inside How The Coup Was Foiled – Venezuela’s Army Chief Padrino TRICKED Trump & Abrams Vladimir Dobyrnin Fort Russ,May 5, 2019
- May 3. Bolton, Shanahan, Pompeo meet at Pentagon to discuss military options in Venezuela Rebecca Kheel, The Hill May 3, 2019
- May 16. The US activists staying at the Venezuelan Embassy in Washington are kicked out by a US police raid.
- June 14. Guaido’s Representatives Involved in Corruption Scandal in Colombia (Humanitarian Aid) Orinoco Tribune June 17, 2019
- Mission Verdad Twitter thread on the revelations
- June 20. Trump is giving up on regime change in Venezuela because it's complicated and he got bored
- June 26. Venezuelan authorities claim to have stopped another coup attempt by a group of mercenaries that involved the killing of Maduro and bringing to power of imprisoned ex-Defense minister Raul Baduel. Video as part of allegedly 56 hours worth of surveillance is presented. Several people were arrested and large weapons caches seized. (venezuelanalysis, Voltaire Network)
- June 26. Russia Withdraws Military Specialists From Venezuela - AFP, July 1, 2019
- July 24. In the afternoon, another large electricity breakdown affects 17 out of 23 states. Seven hours later, 80% is restored with Caracas 100%. The government and an engineer involved blames an "electromagnetic attack" likely originating from US planes flying along the border.
- Aug 5. Trump imposes economic embargo against Venezuela The executive order freezes all Venezuelan government assets in the United States and barred transactions with its authorities.
- Aug 7. The US seizes a cargo ship in the Panama Canal carrying soy cake for food production to Venezuela.
- Aug 28. The US announces the creation of a "Venezuela Affairs Unit" in the US embassy in Bogota, Colombia, as "the interim diplomatic office of the U.S. Government to Venezuela".
- Sep 10. Trump fires John Bolton.
- Jan 5. A year after Guaido was elected to the annual position of president of the parliament, he fails to get re-elected after several former supporters publicly stated that due to his failure to perform and his corruption scandals they want a new beginning. The new president of the parliament is named Luis Parra, from a different opposition party. "Western" media cry foul.
- Groundhog Day: Juan Guaidó Is Trying to Overthrow the Venezuelan Government Again - Alan Macleod, Mint Press, May 1, 2020
- New Details Emerge Linking US to Latest Coup Attempt in Venezuela - Alan Macleod, Mint Press, May 4, 2020
- There is strong evidence to suggest that both Juan Guaidó and the U.S. government were intimately involved in a botched weekend insurrection.
- The Macutazo: Timeline of an Absurd Military Adventure - Caracas Chronicle, May 5, 2020
- Guaido and the Failed Military Operation Against Venezuela - Patricio Zamarano, Orinoco Tribune, May 7, 2020
- Venezuela opposition negotiated Maduro overthrow plan with security firm: report - Reuters, May 7, 2020
- US policy on Venezuela lacks meaningful direction – American mercenaries’ involvement in failed coup against Maduro is more proof - Scott Ritter, RT, May 7, 2020
- Silvercorp co-founder speaks with The Grayzone: What did State Department know about failed Venezuela invasion? - Grayzone, May 7, 2020
- Venezuela Captures 14 Mercenaries in the Last 24 Hours - Telesur, May 11, 2020
- Revealed: Secretive British unit planning for ‘reconstruction’ of Venezuela - John McEvoy, The Canary, May 13, 2020
- Will Trump Really Start Two Wars Instead of "Just" One? - The Saker, Unz Review, May 20, 2020
- Jair Bolsonaro and Operation Gideon: the Brazilian Chapter of the Latest Coup Plot in Venezuela - Orinoco Tribune, May 23, 2020
- Iranian oil tanker "Fortune" is near the Venezuela coast, despite the US opposing, May 24, 2020
- "Iranian tanker arrives in Venezuela" - Cassad, May 24, 2020
- Caracas protest march for recall referendum - Carlos Grau, YouTube, September 2, 2016 (video)
- This and other videos of the 2016 protest march were used by Western MSM to create a fake illusion of a revolution in Venezuela.
- CNN SHOWS INTERVIEW WITH ‘VENEZUELAN ARMY DEFECTORS’ APPEALING TO US FOR WEAPONS. THERE IS PROBLEM WITH THEIR UNIFORM - SouthFront, January 30, 2019
- The "soldiers" presented as just defected on CNN are wearing uniforms with batches of pre-Bolivarian times.
- FLORES: Is Guaido’s Life In Danger? Yes – But Not From Who You Think - Joaquin Flores, Fort Russ, February 1, 2019
- Wouldn’t maybe ONE of the seven or eight billionaire-owned pro-opposition TV stations operating freely in Venezuela have had at least one bloke with a camera staking out his house, since the arrival of attorney general investigators would at this point be so inevitable? Where is that footage?
- Venezuela - Coup Attempt Part Of A Larger Project - Military Intervention Likely To Fail - Moon of Alabama, January 31, 2019
- That the Washington Post has to use an unrelated incident to proclaim that the poor people support the coup attempt shows how little real evidence it has to support that propaganda claim.
- Failed ‘Coup’ a Fake Corporate News Story Designed to Trick Venezuelan Soldiers—and US Public - Dave Lindorff, FAIR, May 11, 2019
US Aid scam
- Venezuela: Troops block border bridge to stop aid from Colombia - Irish Times, February 6, 2019
- Video: Venezuela’s Maduro blocks much-needed aid from U.S. - NBC News, February 7, 2019
- Venezuela: first US aid trucks arrive at border blockaded by Maduro The Guardian February 7, 2019
- Raw video: RAW: Venezuela blocks border bridge to stop US-backed ‘humanitarian aid - Ruptly, February 8, 2019 (Note, that the fences are supported from the Columbian side.)
- Fake news, see: The Bogus Bolivarian Blockade - McResistor, February 8, 2019
- The Tienditas Bridge “blockade” - Justin Emery, February 8, 2019 (in Spanish)
- Western Media Fall in Lockstep for Cheap Trump/Rubio Venezuela Aid PR Stunt - Adam Johnson, FAIR, February 9, 2019
- Red Cross, UN Slam Denounce Use of ‘Politicized’ Humanitarian Aid to Venezuela Paul Dobson, February 11, 2019
- Pink Floyd’s Roger Waters Slams Richard Branson for Fronting US Trojan-Horse “Aid” to Venezuela - Alexander Rubinstein, Mint Press February 22, 2019
- Anyone Buying This Venezuela Bullshit Is A Complete Fucking Moron - Caitlin Johnstone, February 23, 2019 (mirror)
- Burning Aid: An Interventionist Deception on Colombia-Venezuela Bridge? - Max Blumenthal, Grayzone Project, February 23, 2019
- Venezuela Aid Scam - Venezuela Aid Scam, Unz Review, February 24, 2019
- Venezuela crisis: Border clashes, ‘masked thugs’, ‘torched aid’ & fake Red Cross - RT, February 24, 2019
- Venezuelan Military Burns Truck Carrying U.S. "Humanitarian Aid" - Fake News - SouthFront, February 24, 2019
- WaPo Quietly Deletes Branson's Venezuela Concert From Article After 'Fake' Attendance Figures Exposed - ZeroHedge, February 24, 2019
- Venezuela - There Was A Riot At The Border But What Else Did The "Aid" Stunt Achieve? - Moon of Alabama, February 24, 2019
- Footage Contradicts U.S. Claim That Maduro Burned Aid Convoy - New York Times, March 10, 2019
- NYT’s Exposé on the Lies About Burning Humanitarian Trucks in Venezuela Shows How US Govt and Media Spread Fake News - Glenn Greenwald, The Intercept, March 10, 2019
- Venezuela says plane from Miami delivered weapons for use by enemies of Maduro - Miami Herald, February 7, 2019
- US Air Freight Company that Smuggled Weapons Into Venezuela Linked to CIA “Black Site” Renditions Whitney Webb, Mint Press February 13, 2019
Power grid sabotage
- ‘Electrical war’: saboteurs blamed as massive power cut in Venezuela leaves millions in the dark - Associated Press via South China Morning Post, March 8, 2019
- READER: Here is the key to what happened in Venezuela - WHAT REALLY HAPPENED, March 9, 2019
- Venezuela - Three Total Blackouts In Three Days - Government Presumes U.S. Cyberattack - Moon of Alabama, March 9, 2019
- Venezuela Terrorism? Explosion Is Second Attack On Power Grid In Two Days – Guaido Blames Maduro - Tom Winter, Fort Russ, March 10, 2019
- Blackouts Continue In Venezuela After Another Alleged Cyber-Attack - South Front, March 10, 2019
- Venezuela under attack: 7 notes on electric shock (special report) - Mision Verdad, March 10, 2019
- US Regime Change Blueprint Proposed Venezuelan Electricity Blackouts as ‘Watershed Event’ for ‘Galvanizing Public Unrest’ - Max Blumenthal, Gray Zone, March 11, 2019
- The US-funded CANVAS organization that trained Juan Guaido and his allies produced a 2010 memo on exploiting electricity outages and urged the opposition “to take advantage of the situation…towards their needs”
- Trump Regime Electricity War in Venezuela More Serious than First Believed - Stephen Lendman. Global Research, March 11, 2019
- “Lights Out!” Did Trump and His Neocons Recycle Bush-Era Plan to Knock Out Venezuela’s Power Grid? - Whitney Webb, Mint Press, March 11, 2019
- US officials offered my friend cash to take down Tehran’s power grid - Sharmine Narwani, March 14, 2019
- Map (and Objectives) of the Irregular War on Energy in Venezuela - Mision Verdad, March 14, 2019
- Russia: Blackout in Venezuela Caused by Foreigners Knowing the Canadian Electrical Equipment - Orinoco Tribune, March 15, 2019
- U.S. Escalates Online Attacks on Russia’s Power Grid - The New York Times, June 15, 2019
- Hack away! NYT says US planted CYBER KILL SWITCH into Russian power grid… media shrugs - RT, June 15, 2019
- To do
- To do
- ‘This charge is 100% false’: Grayzone editor Max Blumenthal arrested months after reporting on Venezuelan opposition violence - Ben Norton, The Grayzone, October 28, 2019
- Embassy Protectors Will Not Be Able to Tell Jury Guaido Is Not President, or Mention International Law - Ajamu Baraka and Bahman Azad, February 6, 2020
- Brazil snubs Venezuelan opposition envoy as doubts rise on Guaido - Anthony Boadle, Reuters, May 31, 2019
US war plans
- 2nd-highest ranking US military officer reportedly slammed his hands on table after growing tired of John Bolton's aides at fiery meeting - David Choi, Business Insider, May 2, 2019
- Bolton’s War. Escalating US Hostility against Iran. Seeking a Pretext for War - Paul R. Pillar, Global Research, May 6, 2019
- Trump Peeved by Bolton's Attempt to Pull Him 'INTO A WAR' in Venezuela - Report - Sputnik, May 9, 2019
- Naming Names: The Actors Working to Take Down Venezuela - Eduardo Andrade Bone, Mint Press, January 17, 2019
- The United States are preparing a war between Latin-American states - Thierry Meyssan, VoltaireNet, January 18, 2019
- Venezuela - U.S. Again Tries Regime Change Which Is Again Likely To Fail - Moon of Alabama, January 23, 2019
- WASHINGTON'S MERCENARY DRIFT TOWARDS VENEZUELA Mission Verdad January 23, 2019
- Venezuela - The U.S. Game Plan For 'Regime Change' And How To Respond To It - Moon of Alabama, January 24, 2019
- Where Will Venezuela Go Next? The Answer Is Hard to Determine Right Now, José González Vargas, January 24, 2019
- Trump Recognition of Rival Venezuelan Government Will Set Off a Diplomatic Avalanche - Wayne Madsen, Strategic Culture, January 24, 2019
- Venezuela: The Indirect Adaptive Approach To Regime Change - Andrew Korybko, Eurasia Future, January 24, 2019
- Regime Change in Venezuela: The Documented Evidence - Tony Cartalucci, January 25, 2019
- Venezuela - Trump's Coup Attempt Is Based On A Seriously Flawed Plan - Moon of Alabama, January 25, 2019
- Top 5 Dumbest Arguments Defending Trump’s Venezuela Interventionism - Caitlin Johnstone, January 26, 2019
- The Vultures of Caracas - Craig Murray, January 26, 2019
- America to Venezuela – “Your Money AND Your Life!” - Rostislav Ishchenko, ukraina.ru via StalkerZone, January 26, 2019
- What has happened in Venezuela is a coup. Trump’s denial is dangerous - Oscar Guardiola-Rivera, The Guardian, January 28, 2019
- Canada Is Complicit in Venezuela's US-Backed Coup D'état - Yves Engler, Venezuelanalysis.com, January 28, 2019
- Trump administration imposes sanctions on Venezuelan oil industry - Alexander Fangman, WSWS, January 2019
- The Making of Juan Guaidó: How the US Regime Change Laboratory Created Venezuela’s Coup Leader - Dan Cohen and Max Blumenthal, Gray Zone, January 29, 2019
- Why must Venezuela be destroyed? - Dmitry Orlov, January 29, 2019
- Bernie and the Dems Flunk Trump’s Test On Venezuela’s Coup - Shamus Cooke, CounterPunch, January 29, 2019
- The systematic destruction of the PDVSA - Voltaire Network, January 30, 2019
- VENEZUELA CRISIS: U.S. HAS PAINTED ITSELF INTO CORNER - SouthFront, January 30, 2019
- Internal US Gov’t Document Outlines Program of ‘Economic Warfare’ on Venezuela - Ben Norton, Gray Zone, January 30, 2019
- U.S. Southern Command In Colombia Along The Border, Venezuela Military Moves,.. Aaron Kesel Activist Post February 4, 2019
- Venezuela: Coup d’Etat or Constitutional Transition? Lucas Koerner, Venezuelaanalysis February 6, 2019
- Venezuela as the pivot for New Internationalism?, Michael Hudson, February 6, 2019
- Interview with union leader Stalin Pérez Borges, Aporrea, February 7, 2019 (English translation published March 4)
- US ‘Regime Change’ in Venezuela: Fake, Fake, Fake! - Justin Raimondo, February 8, 2019
- Haiti’s Unfolding Revolution Is Directly Linked to Venezuela’s - Kim Ives, Haiti Liberte, February 13, 2019
- Almost Everything Americans Hear About Venezuela Is A Lie - Andrew Dobbs, American Herald Tribune, February 13, 2019
- Inside the neoliberal laboratory preparing for the theft of Venezuela’s economy - Justin Podur, Salon, February 15, 2019
- Russia's stake in Venezuela - John Helmer, February 17, 2019
- Financial blockade: Chronology of a strategy to destroy Venezuela - MR Online, February 19, 2019
- The war on Venezuela is built on lies, John Pilger, February 21, 2019
- Financial Imperialism-The Case of Venezuela Jack Rasmus, February 28, 2019
- US Strategy in brief: Use the aid to get Venezuelans on the border to welcome the US proxy forces to cross over. Set up political and military structures thereafter just inside the Venezuelan borders with Colombia and Brazil, from which to launch further similar efforts deeper into Venezuela. Repeat this province by province, step by step,
- Remember the Maine? CIA Intervention in Venezuela - David Rosen, Strategic Culture, March 2, 2019
- As Seen In The Mexican Press: “Adios, Guaido!” - Angel Guerra Cabrera, Jornada via Fort Russ, March 18, 2019
- Venezuela - Guaidó Got Snookered - White House Starts Beating War Drums Moon of Alabama May 1, 2019
- A Desperate Empire Crashes in Venezuela - Maximilian C. Forte, Zero Anthropology, May 1, 2019
- Venezuela: Failed Coup Argues for New Approach Fulton Armstron Consortium News May 2, 2019
- Venezuela-The FAILED Coup | DW Documentary - PressTVUK Videos, July 29, 2019 (video)
- Time Magazine Won’t Say it, but Maduro is the Man of the Year - LA PUPILA INSOMNE, translated by Iroel Sánchez published December 17, 2019
- Time magazine won’t say it, but Maduro is the man of the year. He has led the resistance against one of the greatest imperialist offensives in history and has maintained the initiative, succeeding in sustaining the unity of the internal revolutionary forces and international alliances in favor of multilateralism, sovereignty and popular interests.
- Spain participated in failed 2019 US coup in Venezuela - Alejandro Lopez, WSWS, July 4, 2020
Public figures statements
- Roger Waters (on Richard Branson Live-Aid concert), February 19, 2019
- Dueling Venezuela Benefits Vie Over Talent, and the Country’s Fate (includes Branson response, also here, CNNespanol), RollingStone, February 22, 2019
- OPEN LETTER TO THE UNITED NATIONS SECRETARY GENERAL ANTONIO GUTERRES AND TO THE HIGH COMMISSIONER FOR HUMAN RIGHTS MICHELLE BACHELET Alfred de Zayas, February 23, 2019
- Venezuelan Foreign Minister declared Maduro's readiness to begin negotiations with the opposition. Jorge Arreas also expressed the hope that the Venezuelan opposition will be freed from dependence on the US. TASS Rus., Robo-Eng., April 8, 2019, quoting a statement made on Union Radio 90.3 FM - Caracas (live stream, but not statement recording, here).
- (TASS): Juan Guaydo... said earlier that he would not engage in "fake dialogue" with the executive branch. Previous negotiations between the government of the republic and the opposition took place in the Dominican Republic with the participation of international mediators. Without any result, they ended in early 2018.
- 2019 Venezuelan protests - Wikipedia
- VENEZUELA NEWSLINKS 24-25 JANUARY 2019
- Venezuela Analysis: (News) (23 January Coup)
- Axis of Logic (Venezuela)
- Mission Verdad (Venezuela) Spanish Language MV English Twitter feed
- teleSUR English
- Orinoco Tribune
- Imperialist intervention in Venezuela: UPDATE 6 - Countercurrents.org, February 10, 2019
- [https://williambowles.info/2019/04/30/venezuela-newslinks-30-april-2019/ VENEZUELA NEWSLINKS 30 APRIL 2019