U.S. missile strike on Shayrat airbase
- Trump Orders Military Strike in Syria; Dozens of Cruise Missiles Launched at Government Targets - CNN WIRE
- Dozens of U.S. Missiles Hit Air Base in Syria - New York Times
- US fires dozens of Tomahawks at Syria military base near Homs, Trump cites ’Assad’s chem attack’ - RT
- Breaking: US launches 50 cruise missiles at Syrian airbase in Homs
- Minutes ago, the U.S. Navy fired over 50 cruise missiles at the Al-Shayrat Airbase in the Homs Governorate, causing significant damage to the military installation. According to local sources, a U.S. naval vessel off the coast of Syria carried out the attack this morning, firing over 50 tomahawk cruise missiles at the Al-Shayrat Airbase in the Homs Governorate. Multiple casualties have been reported at the airbase by local sources; however, the death toll is still unknown.
News of the planned strike was published in the media several hours before.
- Turkey Will Support US Military Op in Syria if Launched - Erdogan - Sputnik, April 6, 2017, 20:26
- U.S. appears to be on the verge of Syria missile strike - CBS NEWS, April 6, 2017, 8:32 PM
- Why the Navy's Tomahawk missiles are the most likely option for a strike in Syria against Assad - Dan Lamothe, Washington Post, April 6, 2017 (9:38 PM)
- Title updated to Why the Navy’s Tomahawk missiles were the weapon of choice in strikes in Syria
- US warships ready to launch missiles on Syrian Army targets if given the order - Chris Tomson AMN, April 7, 2017 (0:45 AM)
- On Thursday evening, two US Navy battleships were put on high-alert in the eastern Mediterranean Sea as Donald Trump was set to met with military advisors in Florida on Friday in response to a recent chemical massacre in Khan Sheikhoun, Idlib. According to a report, the USS Ross and USS Porter guided-missile destroyers neared the coast of Syria in what appears to be a drastic escalation. In a press conference this evening, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said “steps are underway” on an international coalition to pressure Bashar Assad from power, as President Trump was being briefed on military options for Syria.
Female and male Navy commanders were both congratulated and thanked for their Tomahawk strikes on Syria.
- Remarks With National Security Advisor H.R. McMaster, Rex W. Tillerson, Secretary of State, Palm Beach, Florida, April 6, 2017. (Shorter version, Breitbart).
- NATIONAL SECURITY ADVISOR MCMASTER: Our intelligence community in cooperation with our friends and partners and allies around the world collaborated to determine with a very high degree of confidence precisely where the location originated. And then, of course, the sorts of chemicals that were used in the attack, that’s – that confidence level has just continued to grow in the hours and days since the attack, associated with additional evidence that’s available, especially so sad, sadly, from the victims that are being treated, and then confirmation of the type of agent that was used, which is a nerve agent
- SECRETARY TILLERSON: We sought no approval – we sought no approval from Moscow or at any other level within the Russian infrastructure. This was strictly following the rules that we have put in place in agreement with the Russian military to de-conflict, because our target in this attack was not Russian. It was not the Russians. It was not their forces nor any Russian individuals. Our target was this airfield and the Syrian regime.
- Presidency of Syrian Arab Republic: US aggression is reckless and irresponsible act, SANA, April 7, 2017
- PRESIDENT ASSAD: In an unjust and arrogant aggression, the United States targeted at dawn on Friday the airport of al-Shairat in the countryside of Homs. Targeting an airport of a sovereign state by the US is an outrageous act that clarifies in conclusive evidence once again what Syria has been saying that the succession of administrations of this regime does not change the deep policies of its entity which is represented by targeting states, subjugating peoples and the attempt to dominate the world.
- Five Top Papers Run 18 Opinion Pieces Praising Syria Strikes–Zero Are Critical - Adam Johnson, FAIR, April 7, 2017
- Top Iranian pilots visit Shuairat airbase in Homs: source - ZAMAN ALWSL, March 11, 2017
- Russia has also had presence in Shuairat. Last September, Russia has fortified Shuairat military airport with more shields and checkpoints as well has installed surveillance cameras.
- Russian MoD DRONE FOOTAGE: Only 23 of 59 Tomahawk missiles reached the Syrian Airbase
- EXCLUSIVE: 1st footage of destruction at US-hit Shayrat airbase in Syria
According to Russian sources, 23 out of 59 missiles hit the airbase. They destroyed a material storage depot, a training facility, a canteen, six MiG-23 aircraft in repair hangars and a radar station. According to Syrian sources, at least six soldiers died and a number were injured. Missiles hitting surroundings of the base and village al-Hamrat killed nine civilians, among them four children. A missile hitting al-Manzoul village injured seven civilians. The runways remained undamaged and on the next day, agencies report that jets have taken off again from the base.
- ISI FIRST TO ANALYZE SHAYRAT AIRFIELD MISSILE ATTACK - ISI, April 7, 2017
- Based on very high resolution imagery captured less than 10 hours after the attack, ISI presents in depth battle damage assessment
- Some (Ukrainian?) sources claimed a 'Pantsir' was destroyed; however photos do not match
Russian sources describe "low effectiveness'; according to Ru MOD, only 23 of 59 Tomahawks struck the base. It may to do with air defense, including radio-electronic warfare and whatever else Russian or Syrians were willing/able to deploy. But low-flying Tomahawks can be also shot down with MANPADS, including older and modern versions of Streka and Igla (with imperfect yet reasonable success rate; it is said that there are lots of those in Syria)
- The President must get Congressional approval before attacking Syria-big mistake if he does not!, @realDonaldTrump, August 31, 2013
- Be prepared, there is a small chance that our horrendous leadership could unknowingly lead us into World War III., @realDonaldTrump, August 31, 2013
- Donald Trump Is An International Law Breaker by Publius Tacitus - April 7, 2017
- And what if Trump had not changed his mind?, Thierry Meyssan, April 11, 2017
- Donald Goes to Canossa - Israel Shamir, Unz Review, April 17, 2017
- Idlib CW Massacre 4-4-17: the Shayrat Airfield Link Monitor on Massacre Marketing (rough)
- What Are They Hiding about the USA Attack on Syria? - Dimitris Kazakis, Dissident Voice, May 3, 2017