Talk:Saudi advance on Hodaidah
Thanks for covering this, Diagonal, it is such a shame - even the Guardian pleas guilty. Do you think it warrants a ticker thing like for Syria and Ukraine? If you are interested (to be the main author for how long it will stay relevant, with occasional additions from others, like I do for Syria and Resup does for Ukraine), I suggest you open a Yemen news/Current page and I will integrate it into the Main page below the Syria news ticker. --CE (talk) 20:53, 17 June 2018 (UTC)
Thanks CE. I would be open to doing that, although I have no real knowldege of Yemen and no arabic language. Annoyingly, I have to organise a move and some short trips in the coming few weeks, so my availability for this will be disrupted. --Diagonal (talk) 10:59, 19 June 2018 (UTC)
- No problem, just an idea. Unfortunately I also don't have the resources to follow this additionally, but it would be good to have. This atrocity is also going on for what, four years by now, below the radar of the average "news" consumer. Very "educational". --CE (talk) 18:52, 19 June 2018 (UTC)
Red Sea Mills
As ever, conflicting reports as to which side is responsible for a fire at this complex (Jan 25) and for a later incident where a demining engineer was shot by sniper as UN team visited the Houthi controlled outskirts nearby. The complex is close to the frontlines, fighting was reported there in September and WFP has not been able to use it since then. It was taken by the coalition in early November. The complex was under the control of the coalition forces when BBC and France 24 (videos published on 28,29th) were escorted to the site. (AFP were there on January 22,) Presumably accompanied by French personnel embedded with the Emiratis. Lyse Doucet, (presumably visited videoon the same day) reports the houthis attacked with a mortar after they had left, but the footage added to her report (from three days later) just showed the aftermath of a fire in a silo. Wondering why the BBC did not publish until 6 days after their filming? --Diagonal (talk) 21:01, 13 February 2019 (UTC)
Feb 18: Access to the complex has been an issue in UN talks. To access the complex from Hodeidah the UN would have to pass through the frontline from Houthi controlled to coalition controlled territory.
Late february/early March: The National Salvation government cleared the section of the route to Red Sea Mills under their control. The UN team passed through. The inspectors found the grain in poor condition. In the following days reports of firing on the UN teams convoy attributed to coalition forces according to journalist Hussain al Bukhaiti.
- WFP Food Stocks Under Attack in Yemen's Port City of Hodeidah VOA September 14, 2018
- Local authority denies coalition’s media allegations regarding storing weapons in UNICEF, WFP and Red Sea Grain silos stores Yemen Press Agency Spetember 13, 2018
- Yemen's pro-government forces recapture Red Sea mill from Houthis The National, November 7, 2018
- Fighting in Yemen city of Hodeidah reaches residential streets The Guardian November 11, 2018
- https://twitter.com/AlBayanNews/status/1088783105048150021 January 25, 2019
- https://twitter.com/AlBayanNews/status/1088783105048150021 January 25, 2019
- Fire in the Red Sea Mills in Hodeidah is a blow to millions of hungry people Relief Web, January 25, 2019
- UN says fire damages two food silos near Yemen's Hodeida AFP January 25, 2019
- UN food aid destroyed in shelling by Yemen's Houthi rebels The National, January 26, 2019
- UN says fire damages two silos in Yemen's crucial Red Sea Mills XinHua January 26, 2019
- Saudi mercenaries target Red Sea mills in Yemen's Hodeidah ABNA, January 26, 2019
- http://www.almayadeen.net/news/politics/930357/ Al Mayadeen January 26, 2018 (After searching Tineye the picture in this report appears to date from 2018 not Jan 25, 2019
- Coalition’s forces shell Red Sea mills in Yemen’s Hodeidah Yemen Press Agency January 26, 2019
- ‘Food is a weapon’: Fight over Yemen granary tests truce Breitbart, January 27, 2019
- Shaky truce in key Yemeni port of Hudaydah Lyse Doucet,BBC January 28, 2019
- Saudis Ignore Yemen Truce, Bomb Displaced Persons’ Camp and Food Silos Ahmed Abdulkareem Mint Press January 28, 2019
- 'Food is a weapon': Fight over Yemen granary tests truce AFP, January 28, 2019
- Video: France 24 Janury 29, 2019
- Pictures of the Day: 29 January 2019 The Telegraph January 29, 2019
- Targeting Red Sea Mills by US-Saudi Forces Exposes Lethal, Painful Strategies against Yemeni People Al Masirah, Januray 31, 2019
- Food for millions in Yemen at risk of rotting in key Red Sea port, warns UN United Nations February 2019
- Humanitarian workers still cannot access Yemen’s Red Sea Mills: UN Vietnam Breaking News February 13, 2019
- National Delegation Confirms Opening Way for UN Team to Reach Red Sea Mills Al Masirah, 26 February 2019
- #Saudi #UAE opened fire on the UN observers team after passing throw last point n the #Houthis controlled area E #Hodeidah#Houthi cleared road n their area4 #UN team so they can go2 Red Sea mills,as soon as they left houthis area,they came under fire frm coalition Hussain al Bukhaiti Twitter February 26, 2019
- In a bid to breathe life into the deal, the Houthis as well as Hodeida’s resistance fighters unilaterally opened Hodeida’s 50th Street in order to allow a UN technical team to reach the Red Sea Mills, a food-storage facility that holds enough World Food Programme grain to feed 3.7 million people for up to one month.On Monday, Abdul-Malik al-Houthi, leader of the Houthi political wing Ansar Allah, called on the army and resistance to facilitate the crossing of the UN team from 50th Street to the Red Sea Mills. The team left for the Mills from Houthi-controlled territory on Tuesday. Ahmed Abdulkareem Mint Press March 1, 2019
- Inspectors test grain in Red Sea mills before giving to starving Yemenis: UN Xinhua, February 28, 2019
- Saudi-led coalition's mercenaries open fire at convoy of head of Int'l Monitoring Committee in Hodeidah Saba March 2, 2019
- Mohammed Ali al-Houthi condemns coalition military targeting of UN observer mission Yemen Press March 3, 2019
Demining engineer shot
- https://twitter.com/HussainBukhaiti/status/1090269922242879488 January 29
- https://twitter.com/narrabyee/status/1090312742861529088 with video from al Masirah
- Deminers attacked near grain stores in Yemen port Mohamad Ghobari Reuters January 30, 2019
The houthi aligned army stated the shot engineer was Mohamad Foud working for them.
- Brigadier General Yahya Saree, confirmed the death of one of the members within the demining unit this afternoon in Hodeidah...One of the members in the mine action team named Mohammed Fouad Mohammed al-Atari, an engineer, was seriously injured. The engineer was then hospitalized, but died of his injuries.
Apparent location of incident from descriptions and which appears to match the al Masriah video.
Reports nine british soldiers killed?
According to a few reports British and Pakistani personnel were killed in an operation of the Yemeni army on 23 Feb in the Najran saudi border area. Based on a statement given by a Yemeni Army spokesman to al masirah tv. Unclear whether the figure of 9 includes the 3 pakistanis or not. Claims circulate on social media that the British, said to be experienced, were advising/directing coalition operations there.
SAS involvement in Yemen has come to light the previous week in British media February 2019 (See UK role in Yemen)
- #Houthis media reported👇9British were kild by #Yemen-i army&popular committees(houthis)special operation n Hamdaan area n #Najran #KSA the9Britons were n the process of leading&carrying out attack with #Saudi soldiers&Yemeni fighters on #Houthi held position n Najran Hussein Al Bukhaiti with map of alleged location. Apparently on the Saudi side of border South West of Najran.
- The Houthis have killed nine British fighters during a special operation in the southern Saudi province of Najran, the Yemeni group’s media wing revealed on February 23.“The slain British fighters were about to lead several attacks by the mercenaries on the [Saudi-Yemeni] border,” the Houthis’ media wing quoted a military source as saying. The Houthis didn’t clarify if the alleged British fighters were service members of the British Armed Forces or simply contractors hired by the Saudi-led coalition. The militaries of Saudi Arabia and the UAE are known for employing many foreign contractors.
Not sure where this best goes, but: --19:52, 7 April 2019 (UTC)
- Bombardment of a school for girls in Sana -Cassad, April 7, 2019