Talk:Scud Missile Attacks in the Syrian Conflict
- 1 Noteworthy Alleged Scud Strikes
- 2 Video Evidence for Scud Attacks
- 3 Activists Say/Officials Say
- 4 Scud Firing Witnesses?
- 5 Chemical Scuds in Raqqah?
- 6 Local Coordinating Committees
- 7 International Scuds
- 8 OTR-21 Tochka?
- 9 References
Noteworthy Alleged Scud Strikes
Some of these are already noted elsewhere, but some aren't.
March 29, 2013
- By the end of Friday the LCC managed to document 150martyrs, including 6 women; 17 martyr under torture and 10 children: ... 39 in Aleppo most of them were martyred due to a SCUD missile in Harytan city; ... Scud missiles were reported in 3 districts while the Surface to Surface rockets were reported in 9 districts and the heaviest one was in Aleppo
... Aleppo: Harytan: Large number of martyrs and wounded people were reported due to a SCUD missile landed in the city ... Aftermath videos: انتشال الشهداء والجرحى من تحت الانقاض في قصف بالسكود على حريتان بحلب Removal of Martyrs and Wounded From Under The Ruins in The SCUD Shelling in Hraitanm Aleppo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LrYHqIXDEc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-J6spQ2NKY
Video Evidence for Scud Attacks
Smoke Trail Videos
- March 1: Via the LCC, March 1 entry below: "Scud Missile Smoke launched towards the Syrian North from 155 Brigade, Damascus Suburbs." This is a daily event, by their reports, but this is the only video of a Scud firing I've seen yet. It’s hard to imagine a missile getting anywhere near 300 miles flying like that. I’m not enough of an expert for it to mean much when I ask if this is a joke. But I ask that. Or are they just using a loose definition of Scud? --Caustic Logic (talk) 12:13, 9 March 2013 (UTC)
- March 10/11
- Thanks. I was thinking something flare-like, fireworks, etc. Light and fizzy, prone to erratic spinning. These could also be from light rockets, in my non-expert opinion. But not from a muscle-driven missile set to fly hundreds of kilometers. Another point - it seems to me the camera is fairly close to these trails, almost suggesting the opposition/rebel videographers were working with or near the people who fired them. So that would not be consistent with anti-anti-AA measures. But then again, both sides often fight in relative proximity, and flares would be fired fairly near where rebel AA fire originates, right? --Caustic Logic (talk) 09:11, 26 March 2013 (UTC)
- March 29:
Launching of SCUD Missile From Regiment 155 in Qutaifeh, Damascus Suburbs
- Maadan, Feb. 26 - Reported strike Feb. 25. Some smaller homes, partly collapsed. LCC: "Aftermath of Scud shelling in Maadan, Raqaa." (see entries Feb. 25/Feb 26 below) --Caustic Logic (talk) 12:13, 9 March 2013 (UTC)
- Feb 16, Deir Ezzor - ديرالزور موحسن اثار سقوط صاروخ سكود قبل قليل: "Deir Ezzor Mohassan effects of the fall of Scud missile shortly before" It's been at least a day or so. The rather large crated in a field is now filled with winter rainwater. Mohassan is just southeast of Deir EzZor. --Caustic Logic (talk) 09:18, 14 March 2013 (UTC)
Activists Say/Officials Say
CNN heard on Tuesday, Feb. 19, upon the Jabal Badro attack, from an unnamed U.S. official, that "Syria has been launching Scuds about twice a day from outside Damascus toward Aleppo. The official could not confirm which Aleppo neighborhoods were hit," but felt the one that hit Jabal Badro was "one of at least eight fired at the ravaged city of Aleppo by government forces since Friday." 
Turkish officials have watched closely, and reported on February 21 that, nationwide "more than 40 Scud-type ballistic missiles " were fired, all by the Syrian government, starting in December "after it lost control of its northern provinces."  By early March the reported number had doubled: Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu said in an interview that "Al-Assad’s forces have fired 85-90 Scud missiles in the last two months." 
By that chronology of allegations, about half of these roughly 90 attacks, apparently, came down in the 12 days between Feb. 21 and March 5. Even considered broadly, the vast majority of these launches seem to have gone otherwise unnoticed and unreported. The intensive campaign on Aleppo described above features only four missiles. At least one more on Deir Ez-Zor would be reported on March1, at least. And the activist LCC, perhaps the source for all these claims, corroborates them with daily firings of at least two and as many as 12 Scuds per day from Damascus (see below).
Scud Firing Witnesses?
Human Rights Watch visited three alleged Scud missile strike sites (out of four in recent days), in late February, 2013. As they reported back, "Human Rights Watch did not find weapons remnants at the attack sites, and so was unable to identify the exact weapons used." If rebels had picked the debris up, they apparently didn't share it. Nonetheless, HRW believed the rebel characterization as long-range Scuds only the government owned. And to prove they came from outside of rebel territory, they had witnesses. "However, a group of local activists in the Damascus countryside reported on their Facebook page that they had observed missiles being launched toward the north before three of the four strikes."  As HRW explained:
- At 9:38 p.m. on February 18, the local coordination council in Yabroud posted on its Facebook site that it had observed a “scud missile” in the sky over Yabroud at 9:05 p.m., heading toward northern Syria. Witnesses in Tel Rifat told Human Rights Watch that a missile hit the town around 9:30 p.m. on February 18.  --Caustic Logic (talk) 12:46, 25 March 2013 (UTC)
What it seems they're referring to are reports funnelled to, and passed on daily by the national Local Coordinating Committees of Syria. Each day, their posted English summaries include an event ostensibly witnessed and so reported: From Damascus Suburbs, for example Qalamoun, "Scud missiles launched from 155 brigade in Qutaifeh toward the Syrian North." The bases and districts vary between a few sites, always noted by some rebels nearby. Sometimes it's just one, sometimes 2, 3, 5 or even 12 Scuds noted flying away, as the Syrian government denied and rebels failed to record. There is never (that we've found on a fairly thorough search) any video of the launches. Some happen at night, but there are alleged daytime firings, where an alleged Scud smoke trail is shown in daylight, well after the missile/fireworks/whatever is gone, looking extremely erratic and not at all right for a large and powerful missile like Scud. (see smoke trail videos.) --Caustic Logic (talk) 12:46, 25 March 2013 (UTC)
By the beginnig of March, some (Turkish government) reports had the total number of Scuds fired since December as high as 85-90. The LCC's tallies probably come to something in that neighborhood. --Caustic Logic (talk) 12:46, 25 March 2013 (UTC)
The dawn, March 19 strike on Aleppo suburb Khan Al-Assal - with a chemical payload - was also borne on a regime Scud missile, activists said. Well, aside from one commander who saw it himself - a high-altitude air strike - as cited in One detailed and useful report which then noted "the pro-rebel Syrian Support Group, by contrast, said an eyewitnesses had tracked a pair of Scud missiles as they were launched from a Syrian military zone near Damascus." Again, this sounds like out local coordination witnesses (the LCC's daily tally for the 19th said six Scuds were fired that day). --Caustic Logic (talk) 12:46, 25 March 2013 (UTC)
This time, the "eyewitnesses" got themselves contradicted by an unnamed U.S. military source. As CNN reported on the 21st, analysts in Washington were leaning away from any proper chemical weapon attack that day by either party. "NATO and U.S. radar or satellite intelligence also do not indicate there was a launch of a missile,"they added, "at the time Syrians say the alleged attack occurred, according to the military official." At the same time the government said a small, home-made rebel rocket was fired, and rebels say a regime Scud was fired. At that time, systems capable of picking up Scud firings - but not necessarily small rocket firings - failed to pick up any scud firings. In other words, the official says, no the activists did not track two Scuds, but the government's claims could still be true. There did seem to be exposure to a "caustic agent," at the least. --Caustic Logic (talk) 12:46, 25 March 2013 (UTC)
If this is the case, that the telltale signs of a Scud launch were lacking... how many of the other dozens the committee members say they saw also had no signatures? And how about the positive returns Washington has cited in the past for non-chemical, non-war-triggering launches they say did happen, like the rebels said? It's entirely possible even those fake, but this time, the "analysts" just didn't feel up to offering the same "verification," on account of what it could lock them into. Other thoughts? --Caustic Logic (talk) 12:46, 25 March 2013 (UTC)
- Unless they show a video, this idle talk has no value. -- Petri Krohn (talk) 02:53, 26 March 2013 (UTC)
- Glad you agree. Or rather, let me say, it has no value as what it claims to be. But these daily"yep, saw that one too" dispatches are valuable as windowsinto where the "world community's" information comes from. It sounds obviously fishy to us, obviously. And in case some people need a little help seeing that (they will), the above should raise big enough question marks to set them on the right path. --Caustic Logic (talk) 09:17, 26 March 2013 (UTC)
Chemical Scuds in Raqqah?
March 7, video posted from just conquered Ar Raqqah, or its environs, which have been Scud pounded before, and after, the rebel conquest of March 4. Ugarit News! أوغاريت الرقة , صاروخ كيماوي في المحافظة: "chemical rockets in the province" ("Tenderness" = Ar-Raqqah). A large, flimsy-looking missile lays flat on the dirt, broken open, not blown up, no crater whatsovever. Liquid is coming out. A man in Islamist black ninja costume speak a lot about it. I hope he gets translated somewhere. Yalla Souria is alarmed and wonders if it's another Scud. It looks ancient and silly. No real fins I can see. A little damage near the back, signs of fire. It was apparently flying but shot down, if that's possible. Missing nose cone, little bricks inside, some removed? Not much liquid, near the front. Night inspection. What the hell is this video? For a moment, I suspected Steve Carell in the suit, Ohio for the set, and the missile was made from the hardware store. But that's probably not it either. --Caustic Logic (talk) 11:22, 14 March 2013 (UTC) http://yallasouriya.wordpress.com/2013/03/09/syria-this-is-the-scud-that-fell-on/ Yalla Souriya direct link], March 9:
- #Syria, this is the scud that fell on 7/03/2013 at 30 kms from Raqqa; It is leaking poisonus product.
Local Coordinating Committees
Local Coordinating Committees of Syria (LCC), getting info right from battlefield commanders and witnesses to missile firings in Damascus, and has the most prolific array of Scud missile reports. It's possible they are the main source for Turkish official claims of 85-90 Scud missile strikes; there are many mentioned here… This cataloguing took a while. The site tends to freeze my computer, and another I tried it from. All mentions of Scuds and other missiles in the 2nd summary paragraph are included, but most entries list only Scud instances, while others cover other missile details. I’m not sure how far back it’s best to catalog, but I got as far back as Feb. 24, eventually running up to now or whenever. The period Feb. 18 forward seems to be the most intense and of greatest interest. Points of special interest bolded. --Caustic Logic (talk) 12:13, 9 March 2013 (UTC)
Each day, an event ostensibly witnessed and so reported: "Damascus Suburbs: Qalamoun: Scud missiles launched from 155 brigade in Qutaifeh toward the Syrian North." Frequently, a Scud hit is also reported in the north. Constant confirmation, or just deduced, day after day, from the reports of “Scud” impacts? Just file and repeat. "Yep, saw that one too." Usually, they have no video. One weak exception has turned up so far (see above, smoke trail) --Caustic Logic (talk) 12:47, 9 March 2013 (UTC)
- Feb 10: Syria Today 10-2-2013: (none? details coming)
- Feb 11: Syria Today 11-2-2013: (none? details coming)
- Feb 12: Syria Today 12-2-2013 (none? details coming)
- Feb 13: Syria Today 13-2-2013: (none? details coming)
- Feb 14: Syria Today 14-2-2013: (none? details coming)
- Feb 15: Syria Today 15-2-2013: "Missile," 5 mentions, "Scud" one mention: In Deir Ezzor, FSA besieged the Missile Brigade 113 ... Damascus Suburbs: al-Nasseriyeh: A Scud Missile Launched from the Town Towards Northern Syria ... Daraa: Renewed missile shelling was reported in the Abassiyeh district in Daraa Balad ... Daraa: Tafas: The missile and artillery shelling has begun in the city ... Video: A Place Where a Surface-To-Surface Missile Was Dropped in Dar Iza, Aleppo'
- Feb 16: Syria Today 16-2-2013: "Scud," 9 mentions, "missile," 10. The regime also launched 12 Scud missiles towards the syrian North... 56 with missiles (rockets) ... (FSA) advanced from all directions towards Nairab millitary airport and Aleppo international airport, and liberated the nearby area of mills and targeted the defense factories in Safeera with local made missiles ... Aleppo: Dozens of martyrs and wounded in the shelling with the scud missile In Hanano residences ... Damascus Suburbs: al-Qteifeh: A Scud missile explodes in the sky after being launched by the 155th Brigade due to technical error ... Aleppo: Safari: FSA targeted the defense factories with homemade missiles ... Damascus Suburbs: the number of Scud Missiles launched from Marah area towards the Northwas was reported as three ... Damascus Suburbs: A Scud missile was launched from Marah Area towards the northern part of Syria ... Video: The Location of Falling of One of Scud Missiles in Haysh in Idlib ... video: Aftermath of scud missile shelling in Hanano residences, Aleppo ...
- Feb 17: Syria Today 17-2-2013 5 Scud missiles; 1 point land-land missiles... (details coming)
- Feb 18: Syria Today 18-2-2013: 4 points were shelled with Scud missiles, two points were shelled with surface-to surface rockets... (details coming)
- Feb 19: Syria Today 19-2-2013: ...2 points with Scud missiles, and 2 points were shelled with surface-to-surface missiles. Video: "Remaining Parts of Missiles that Shelled Jobar, Damascus" (details coming)
- Feb 20: Syria Today 20-2-213: ...5 points with Scud missiles; 4 points with surface-to-surface missiles..." (details coming)
- Feb 21: Syria Today 21-2-2013 Damascus Suburbs: Harasta: A number of wounded were reported when a missile landed in the area located west of the highway ... (details coming)
- Feb 22: Syria Today 22-2-2013: 3 sites that were subjected to Scud missile attacks, and 2 sites that were subjected to surface-to-surface rocket shelling. (details coming)
- Feb 23: Syria Today 23-2-2013: 2 by Scud missiles, 2Surface –to-surface missile (details coming)
- Feb. 24: Syria Today 24-2-2013 "Missile," 11 mentions.
- 2 points Scud missiles shelling; 2 points were shelled using surface-to-surface missile ... Aleppo: Scud missile landed in agricultural land between the cities of Marea and Izaz ... Aleppo: Tal Shgheeb: Scud missile landed around the town this morning and reports of martyrs and five destroyed houses ... Damascus Suburbs: Ain Tarma: 3 airstrikes launched by the regime warplanes in the town neighborhoods amid missile and artillery shelling in it ... Idlib: Jisr Shugour: Missile shelling targets the village Mishmishan from the hospital checkpoint ... Damascus Suburbs: Arbeen: 1 martyred and many wounded due to missile shelling of the city, and the martyr’s name is Hamza Bilal Rahwan ... Damascus Suburbs: Qutaifa: A Scud Missile was launched by the regime Brigade /155/ targeting Syrian North
Videos: "Targeting of Police School in Aleppo using Grad Missiles," (rockets, unguided, irrelevant) "Missile Shelling in Houla in Homs," "Location Where a Surface-to-Surface Missiles in Kafr Naboudeh in Hama."
- Feb.25: Syria Today 25-2-2013 "Scud," seven mentions.
- 4 points using Scud missiles, 2 points using surface-to-surface missiles... Raqqa: Maadan: The number of martyrs due to the shelling using Scud missiles has risen to 11 martyrs and dozens of wounded most of them are reportedly in critical conditions ... Dozens of martyrs and wounded due to the shelling with a scud missile causing the destruction of an entire alley ... A Scud missile was fired at Maadan town and another at Sabkha town ... Idlib: Jabal Alzaweyeh: dozens wounded in air strikes MiG flight on Baleyon town and targeted with a several missiles ... Lattakia: Rabiaa: Fierce artillery and missile shelling was reported in Khadra town and the areas surrounding Tower 45. Videos: "Missile Shelling in Yarmouk Camp, Damascus," "Scud missile hit on the ground in Khatita, Deir Ezzor," "A Surface-to-surface Missile Landed in Hamourieh Fields, Damascus Suburbs." (No videos from Maadan?) --Caustic Logic (talk) 12:13, 9 March 2013 (UTC)
- Feb 26: Syria Today 26-2-2013 "Scud," four mentions.
3 points using Scud missiles …. Damascus Suburbs: Qalamoun : Scud Missile was reportedly launched by the Regime Brigade /155/ in Qutaifa targeting the Syrian North ... Damascus Suburbs: Al-Qutayfa: Scud missile has been launched from the brigade 155 targeting the north of Syria (listed twice) Video: "Aftermath of Scud shelling in Maadan, Raqaa." Ah, there it is. --Caustic Logic (talk) 12:13, 9 March 2013 (UTC)
- Feb 27: Syria Today 27-2-2013: 3 points using Scud missiles ... Raqqa: Tabaka: Local Coordination Committees activists expressed their concerns that Euphrates Dam might be shelled which will result in Disasters and tragedies the Syrian revolution did not witness thus far. ... The Local Coordination Committees documented seven Scud missiles (so far?) one of them fall in Baath Lake in 16/03/2013 (?) and the final one was reported today west of Tabaka. The Local Coordination Committees activists in Raqqa declared that the targets of the missiles are not accurate which will put the Dam intentionally or unintentionally under heavy shelling, never the less being under continuous heavy shelling using artillery and rocket launchers ... Raqqa: Tabqa: Scud missile landed in Mahmodli village in the north of Furat dam ... Damascus Suburbs: Qalamoon: Shelling with SCUD of brigade 155 in Qtaifeh towards the north of Syria
- Feb 28: Syria Today 28-2-2013 Four mentions of "Scud": … two points using Scud missiles … Damascus Suburbs: Qalamoon: Scud missiles shelling from 155 brigade in_Qutaifeh towards the North... Video: "SCUD Missile Shot on Northen Syria," "SCUD Missile Shot on Northern Syria" (posted twice, again below, March 2)
- March 1: Syria Today 1-3-2013 "Scud," five mentions: ...2 using scud missiles ... Aleppo: Deir Hafer: Reports of martyrs and wounded by Scud missile targeted the city ... Damascus Suburbs: Qalamoun: Scud missiles launched from 155 brigade in Qutaifeh toward the Syrian North ... Aleppo: Bab: Reports of Scud missiles landed in the city
Video: "Scud Missile Smoke launched towards the Syrian North from 155 Brigade, Damascus Suburbs." I didn't catch their posting, but some postings can be found by Googling that title, and one is embedded above (see Smoke Trail Video, March 1). --Caustic Logic (talk) 12:40, 9 March 2013 (UTC)
- March 2: Syria Today 2-3-2013. "Scud," three mentions
- ...three points with Scud missiles … Damascu Suburbs: Qalamoun: Scud missile is reportedly launched by the regime Brigade /155/ targeting Syrian North
Video: "SCUD Missile Shot on Northen Syria" (this video really gets around, just in LCC postings - see Feb 28)
- March 3: Syria Today 3-3-2013
- 3 areas were shelled with Scud missiles ...
- March 4: Syria Today 4-3-2013
- ...1 point that was shelled by Scud missile ... shelling using surface-to-surface missile was reported in 1 point ... Damascus Suburbs: Qutiefeh: Regime forces shot a SCUD missile a few minutes ago from Qutiefeh toward the north ... Aleppo: Bab: Big Explosion shakes the city ... Damascus: Qalamoon: Shelling with a Scud of the brigade 155 in Qutaifeh towards the Northern area
- March5: Syria Today 5-3-2013 Nine mentions of "missile"
- ...shelling with Scud missiles was reported in 4 points...
- March 6: Syria Today 6-3-2013
- shelling with SCUD missiles was documented in 3 points...
- March 7: Syria Today 7-3-2013: 1 point was shelled using Surface- to- Surface missile (details coming)
- March 8: Syria Today 8-3-2013
- 5 Ballistic missiles were reported from Brigade 155 in Qutaifeh, Damascus suburbs and documented in 5 areas the worst was in Dar Kabierh in Homs and its besieged neighborhoods... (details coming)
- March 9: Syria Today 9-3-2013
- Shelling using ballistic missiles counted for three points... Lattakia: Jabal Akrad: Fierce missile shelling from Hakro town was reported in Aleppo-Lattakia Highway ... Idlib: Has: Martyrs, wounded and massive destruction in the houses and residential buildings were reported due to missile shelling in the town, residents attempt to pull the bodies from under the rubbles ... Raqqah: 30 soldiers have defected to the Free Syrian Army from Division 17, belonging to regime forces ... Hama: Jabal Shahshabo: Missile shelling in the towns of Jabal ... Shahshabo from the regime’s checkpoints positioned in Sahl Ghab was reported ... Damascus Suburbs: Erbeen: Fierce missile shelling from Motor-Vehicle ... Department was reported in Eastern Ghouta and Jobar in Damascus ... Daraa: Kherbit Ghazala: Several wounded have fallen due to artillery ... missile and tanks shelling in the town ... Damascus Suburbs: Nasseriya: 2 Scud missiles were launched a few minuts ago from 155 Brigade twards the north of Syria ... video: Destruction due to Surface-to-Surface Missile in Kafarsejna Town, Idlib
- March 10: Syria Today 10-3-2013: 15x missile, 4x Scud. Select entries: Scud bombing counted in 4 points, Shelling using Surface-to-Surface missiles counted for in 4 points too. ... Damascus Suburbs: Quteife: Shooting of 2 SCUD missiles a while ago from brigade 115 towards the Syrian North ... Damascus suburbs: Qtaifeh: a SCUD missile was launched of brigade 155 towards the Syrian north ... video: SCUD Missile Reported in Qaboun Sky, Damascus ... Idlib: Maarat Nouman: 2 wounded were reported due to landing of more than 22 missiles from the checkpoint present in Khazanat Khan Sheikhoun targeting Tah town ... Daraa: Khirbet Ghazaleh: Continued shelling with land-to-land missiles in the town ...Daraa: Khirbet Ghazaleh: A martyr and several wounded were reported due to landing of a land-to-land missile in Katibe neighborhood ... Deir Ezzor: Mayadeen: Shelling with land-to-land missiles targets the city ... Aleppo: Fierce missile shelling was reported in the perimeter of Meng Military Airport ... Idlib: Has: Martyrs, wounded and massive destruction in the houses and residential buildings were reported due to missile shelling in the town, residents attempt to pull the bodies from under the rubbles ...
- March 11 Syria Today 11-3-2013: "missile" 14 mentions. Scud bombing counted in 3 points, Shelling using Surface-to-Surface missiles counted for in 7 points too. ... Damascus Suburbs: Ain Tarma: Landing of short-range surface_to_Surface missile was reported in the town ... Damascus Suburbs: Hazza: 2 Surface to Surface missiles were reported landed in the town’s outskirts ... Damascus Suburbs: Qalamoun: Scud missile lunched from 155 Brigade toward the Syrian North ... Damascus: Jobar: The regime forces targeted the area with ground-ground missile ... Damascus Suburbs: Qatefah: A second Scud missile was fired from the brigade 155 toward the Northern of Syria ... Damascus Suburbs: Qatefah: Fire a Scud missile from the brigade 155 toward the Northern of Syria ... Deir Ezzor: Basira: 6 martyrs were reported due to landing of a surface-to-surface missile in Bariha town ... Deir Ezzor: Martyrs were reported among them Saleh Al-Bseis, one of the captains of FSA brigades, due to landing of a land-to-land missile on his houses in Bariha village which led to his martyrdom and his family members ... Dara’a: Eastern Ghariyeh: Severe shelling targets the town and a short-range missile was launched, resulting in the destruction of several houses ...video: Surface-to-Surface Missile Landing in Hazza, Damascus Suburbs ... video: Monitoring Scud missile from brigade 155 northward
- March 12: Syria Today 12-3-2013: "Scud bombing counted in 2 points, Shelling using Surface-to-Surface missiles counted for in 2 points too." (details coming)
- March 13: Syria Today 13-3-2013: "Scud bombing counted in 1 point, Shelling using Surface-to-Surface missiles counted for in 1 point too." (details coming)
- March 14: Syria Today 14-3-2013: "3 sites were subjected to Scud missile attacks; and 4 locations were hit by surface-to-surface missiles." (details coming)
- March 15: Syria Today 15-3-2013: "Scud bombing counted in 2 points, Shelling using Surface-to-Surface missiles counted for in 4 points. " (details coming)
- March 16: Syria Today 16-3-2013: "Scud missiles shelling was reported in 5 points, surface-to-surface missiles was reported in 2 points." (details coming)
- March 17: Syria Today 17-3-2013: "Scud bombing counted in 2 points, Shelling using Surface-to-Surface missiles counted for in 5 points too." (details coming)
- March 18: Syria Today 18-3-2013: "Scud bombing counted in 5 points, Shelling using Surface-to-Surface missiles counted for in 4 points" (details coming)
- March 19: Syria Today 19-3-2013: "Scud bombing counted in 6 points, Shelling using Surface-to-Surface missiles counted for in 8 points most of them targeted Deir Ezzor" (details coming)
- March 20: Syria Today 20-3-2013: "Scud missiles shelling was reported in 2 points, as for shelling with Surface-to-surface missiles was recorded in just one point" (details coming)
- March 21: Syria Today 21-3-2013: "Scud missiles shelling was reported in 4 points, as for shelling with Surface-to-surface missiles was recorded in 5 points" (details coming)
- March 22: Syria Today 22-3-2013: "as for Scud missiles in 3, and with surface-to-surface missiles in 3 as well." (details coming)
- March 23: Syria Today 23-3-2013: "Scud bombing counted in 1 point, Shelling using Surface-to-Surface missiles counted for in 4 points." (details coming)
- March 24: Syria Today 24-3-2013: "Scud bombing counted in 1 points, Shelling using Surface-to-Surface missiles counted for in 1 points too." Nothing more on Scuds. 5 hits for missile:
- The FSA targeted Tabqa Military Airport using two missiles. ... Daraa : Alsheikh Meskeen: Fierce missile and artillery shelling is reported in the city ... Damascus: Saida Zeinab: Fierce shelling using missile launchers and mortars targets the neighborhood of the city and Hjera Albalad Neighborhood ... Daraa Khourbet Ghazalah: Fierce shelling using missile launchers and artilleries is reported in the town targeting the Eastern Neighborhood
- March 25 Syria Today 25-3-2013: "Scud bombing counted in 1 points, shelling using Surface-to-Surface missiles counted for in 1 points too. (details coming)
(moved from front page of "Scud Missile" Campaign on Aleppo)--Caustic Logic (talk) 13:11, 11 March 2013 (UTC) From the first reported launches of late 2012, the prominent impression and fear in the West is that the Scuds flying north out of Damascus might hit Turkish territory, perhaps triggering a direct NATO retaliation. While Syria does reportedly have variants (Scud C) that could hit southern Turkey, To date, none of these reported "85-90 Scud missiles" has reportedly crossed the border. The first reports were always that rebels or rebel-held areas were the targets, but often noted as landing "fairly near to Turkey," for example. That Aleppo and Idilb are the main reported target areas suggests a shorter-range missile of 300 km (Scud B or D) is being used at nearly its limits.
On March 1 (?) at least two Scud strikes were reported - one by rebels in Deir Ez-Zor, so implicitly fired by the government too (at about 390 km, within range for a Scud C). The other, also within range of Damascus, was reported by Iraqi authorities as the first confirmed international Scud attack of the conflict, against Iraq. It was identified by a local mayor in Tal-Afar, Nineveh province, as a Russian-made Scud, fired from inside Syria by unknown parties, that landed harmlessly near the village Yoush Tapa. The chaos of the close call did prompt locals to flee, which is a problem. It might have been a stray overshot - it is only 140 km from Deir EzZor. That's not likely. Later that day, Syrian and Iraqi forces worked together for the first time to reclaim a nearby border crossing just captured by Jabhat Al-Nusra, in a policy shift recently announced from Baghdad. Prime Minister Nouri Al-Maliki was quoted as saying, two days before these events:
- “Neither the opposition nor the regime can finish each other off ... If the opposition is victorious, there will be a civil war in Lebanon, divisions in Jordan and a sectarian war in Iraq.” 
Scuds to Iraq?
- Earlier on Friday, the conflict once again spilled into neighboring Iraq after a Scud missile fired from Syria landed near a village in Iraq's Nineveh province, causing no significant damage. Last time rockets fired from Syrian territory hit Iraq, in September 2012, they killed a 5-year-old girl.
- Iraqi army helped Syrian government retake border checkpoint - reports – RT, March 02, 2013
- Extremely fascinating. It seems quite a thing to just make up, especially making up a precedent too. Will check, in time. Maybe tonight. --Caustic Logic (talk) 08:41, 2 March 2013 (UTC)
- A Scud missile fired from Syrian territory landed near a village in Iraq's Nineveh province on Friday, causing no damage but terrifying its inhabitants who fled, the mayor said, identifying the rocket as Russian-made.
- "A Russian-made Scud landed near the village of Yoush Tapa, 3 km from the Iraqi-Syrian border between Telafar and Baaj," said Abdul Aal Abbas, the mayor of Telafar. "There were no casualities or damage, but it created fear among the Turkuman population of that village and they fled their houses".
- Nineveh governorate spokesman Qahtan Sami said security forces had also said the rocket was of Russian provenance. -
Al-Baaj -at least 30 km from the border, not 3. Tal Afar is a mid-sized city 75 km WNW of there. I did not locate Yoush Tapa, but "between" these towns is clearly not 3 km in. --Caustic Logic (talk) 04:53, 3 March 2013 (UTC)
The Guardian reports this too and adds:
- The report came as Syrian activists across the border in Deir Ezzor filmed what they claimed to be a deep crater created by a Scud missile attack.
- Odd story from Ya'rubiah: -- Petri Krohn (talk) 21:15, 4 March 2013 (UTC)
- At least 42 Syrian soldiers and seven Iraqis have been killed in an ambush attack by Iraqi gunmen near the two countries sharing border, Iraqi army officers say.
- Odd story from Ya'rubiah: -- Petri Krohn (talk) 21:15, 4 March 2013 (UTC)
Area map. Yoush Tapa areas - southern one if between the towns, and 3 km meant 30km in. So nearer to Al-Baaj. The northern one, one possibility, if 3 km in, between and north of the towns. Location relative to Mt. Sinjar would be useful. At the crossing to the north, the joint Syrian-Iraqi securing of the border from NATO's contra proxies. Firing at rebels across the border, who had whatever weapons they had just over there. Can a Scud be fired only a few kilometers even? I'm hazy on things like this. But this time, an Iraqi mayor says it's a Scud, Russian, not Syrian made. Hmmm.... who is this mayor? Maybe he's right, maybe not. --Caustic Logic (talk) 14:17, 6 March 2013 (UTC)
A topography note. Look at the two circled areas. The northern one is more logically implied. The Scuds attacking rebels, like this one that shot over and hit just-friendly Iraq, come from Damascus. I mapped that out, and a line from Damascus to that area might or might not cross directly over the ridge of Mt. Sinjar, depending on which exact spots it would travel to and from. It seems a fairly high peak, very near the end of a long journey, where the missile would have to have arced quite low already in order to hit our area. Once we can be more sure of the line, the math would be worth ... someone ... taking a crack at. Considering it didn't smack into the mountain instead, COULD the missile have come from Damascus? Mountains will have rain shadows and also Scud shadows, depending on prevailing winds. A shorter-range missile from rebels fighting across from Yarubia, no problem, of course. --Caustic Logic (talk) 10:47, 14 March 2013 (UTC)
- Main article: OTR-21 Tochka
From Wikipedia: During the Syrian Civil War, starting from late 2012, the Syrian Army fired different ballistic missiles types against the rebels among which OTR-21 missiles were filmed.
- SS21 Syria – Tower' Sight, Jan 5, 2013
- Syrian Scuds slamming Aleppo From Ivan Watson, CNN Security Clearance. February 19th, 2013. 03:55 PM ET
- Syria fired more than 40 Scud missiles in two months Hürriyet Daily News, February 21, 2013
- Syria fired up to 90 Scuds, says Turkish FM Hürriyet Daily News, March 5, 2013
- Syria: Unlawful Missile Attacks Kill More Than 140 Human Rights Watch, February 26, 2013
- Iraqi army helped Syrian government retake border checkpoint - reports RT, March 2, 2013