Talk:Russia's doomsday weapons
- Putin announced that Russia has hypersonic weapons-TASS, March 1, 2018 (video fragment; full video with English voice-over; text-Eng.;full video and text -Rus.).
- It is said that the new hypersonic system system is called 'Kinzhal' ('Dagger')(presentation video). It was deployed in December, 2017. This is a missile which flies at speeds of/over 10 times the speed of sound, and it can maneuver in the air. It can carry conventional or nuclear weapons. Its range is 'over 2000 km'. This missile is launched from a plane, and flies thereafter in the air at hypersonic speeds. It is stated, likely to boost the plane too, that 'unique flight characteristics of a high-speed carrier aircraft allows the missile to be delivered to the point of discharge within minutes'; the plane shown is MIG -31, with a speed at high altitude of 2.8-3.0 the speed of sound. Some further details are presented on the video, other information is not available.
- Putin also told about development and a successful test of a cruise missile with a nuclear power plant propulsion (earlier such efforts, Wikipedia 1, 2).
- Underwater unmanned device with unlimited range also mentioned at 13:36:14
- 'Sarmat' ballistic missile with anti-missile avoiding capability was described and presented on a 'Sarmat' demo video; hypersonic warheads mentioned in particular (development of ballistic version, Sarmat and guided hypersonic combat units was known, many details on the Russian wikipedia for example; while 'Kinzhal' is a different thing, more like a hypersonic version of a cruise missile, apparently).
- Demo video presenting new systems: 'Sarmat', nuclear-powered cruise missile, underwater nuclear-powered torpedo.
- quote: "a strategic missile complex "Avangard", which "like a fireball" is capable of hitting targets from space" (13:39). Shown on full video, approximately 1h40m- 1h45m. This refers to a new strategic missile complex with hypersonic winged maneuverable glider block. It travels with re-entry velocity (by the order of magnitude), which he put at Mach 20 (for comparison, escape from Earth velocity is around 33 Mach). The glider appears to be a sort of unmanned version of the US space shuttle. Said to have 'deep horizontal and vertical maneuverability'. Said to be operational, but a demo is shown on video, to preserve the secrets, including the true shape.
- Combat laser systems mentioned and shown on a brief video, around 1h46m on the full video
In addition to mainpage, the following:
Cruise missile with a nuclear power plant propulsion
- Description, as provided: One of them is a small-scale heavy-duty nuclear energy unit that can be installed in a missile like our latest X-101 air-launched missile or the American Tomahawk missile – a similar type but with a range dozens of times longer, dozens, basically an unlimited range. It is a low-flying stealth missile carrying a nuclear warhead, with almost an unlimited range, unpredictable trajectory and ability to bypass interception boundaries. It is invincible against all existing and prospective missile defence and counter-air defence systems. I will repeat this several times today. In late 2017, Russia successfully launched its latest nuclear-powered missile at the Central training ground. During its flight, the nuclear-powered engine reached its design capacity and provided the necessary propulsion
- Video animation provided
- earlier such efforts, Wikipedia 1, 2.
'Avangard', hypersonic gliding cruise bloc of an intercontinental missile
- Description provided: Unlike existing types of combat equipment, this system is capable of intercontinental flight at supersonic speeds in excess of Mach 20. As I said in 2004, in moving to its target, the missile’s gliding cruise bloc engages in intensive manoeuvring – both lateral (by several thousand km) and vertical. This is what makes it absolutely invulnerable to any air or missile defence system. The use of new composite materials has made it possible to enable the gliding cruise bloc to make a long-distance guided flight practically in conditions of plasma formation. It flies to its target like a meteorite, like a ball of fire. The temperature on its surface reaches 1,600–2,000 degrees Celsius but the cruise Celsius but the cruise bloc is reliably guided. Play the video, please. (Video plays). For obvious reasons we cannot show the outer appearance of this system here. This is still very important. I hope everyone understands this. But let me assure you that we have all this and it is working well. Moreover, Russian industrial enterprises have embarked on the development of another new type of strategic weapon. We called it the Avangard.
- Video provided
Sarmat heavy new liquid fuel missile
- Description provided: Sarmat will replace the Voevoda system made in the USSR. Its immense power was universally recognized. Our foreign colleagues even gave it a fairly threatening name. That said, the capabilities of the Sarmat missile are much higher. Weighing over 200 tonnes, it has a short boost phase, which makes it more difficult to intercept for missile defence systems. The range of the new heavy missile, the number and power of its combat blocs is bigger than Voevoda’s. Sarmat will be equipped with a broad range of powerful nuclear warheads, including hypersonic, and the most modern means of evading missile defence. The high degree of protection of missile launchers and significant energy capabilities the system offers will make it possible to use it in any conditions.
Military laser system
- Description provided: We have achieved significant progress in laser weapons. It is not just a concept or a plan any more. It is not even in the early production stages. Since last year, our troops have been armed with laser weapons. I do not want to reveal more details. It is not the time yet. But experts will understand that with such weaponry, Russia’s defence capacity has multiplied.
- 'Pentagon: Putin's Alleged New Nukes Don't Threaten US Defenses' -Military.com, March 1, 2018
- ...Cirincione noted that Putin showed graphics of a multi-warhead Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM) going over the South Pole. "Why south? Our anti-missile radars and interceptors are in the north," he said ...
- US Strategic Command chief: It’s taking way too long to get space-based missile defense -Defense News, March 1, 2018 , + Gen. Hyten comments on video
Arms control issues
- Putin: As you can see, we made no secret of our plans and spoke openly about them, primarily to encourage our partners to hold talks. Let me repeat, this was in 2004.
- Anti-missile missiles SM-3 has the same first and second stage engine and booster as Tomohawk missile. Russia maintained that Aegis Ashore land-based anti-missile system can launch Tomohawk missiles, which violates intermediate range missiles treaty and has a range to cover European part of Russia. Pentagon and State Department denied the charge, saying that controls are different; however sea-based Aegis can launch Tomohawks indeed (see here). (Additionally, it was conjectured in media that Russia may want to be out of the treaty anyway; with countries other than USA and Russia not under treaty as one of the factors).
- Speeds of SM-3 (said to be 10-15 Mach, unclear whether it is for exoatmospheric part of flight or in the air) appear comparable to speeds announced for the new Russian 'Kinzhal' hypersonic missile (10 Mach declared).