Russian information war
- See also Putin's Troll Factory
- Judy Asks: Should the West Impose More Sanctions on Russia? (John Lough), Carnegie Europe, October 19, 2016
- There are strong grounds for expanding sanctions to target key individuals in the Russian propaganda effort designed to misinform both domestic and foreign audiences about Western goals and behavior toward Russia. This is consolidating support for a system and set of policies that are becoming increasingly dangerous and threatening to Western security interests.
- The United States and the EU should move together to impose asset freezes and travel bans on the heads of state media organizations as well as editors, presenters, and reporters involved in official disinformation efforts.
- Revealed! SouthFront Is Run by 'the Russian Military' - SouthFront, May 24, 2016
- The Menace of Unreality: How the Kremlin Weaponizes Information, Culture and Money - Peter Pomerantsev, Michael Weiss, The Interpreter and the Institute of Modern Russia, November 22, 2014 (PDF)
- Russia’s Long History of Messing With Americans Minds Before the DNC Hack - Michael Weiss, The Daily Beast, July 26, 2016
- Russia’s intelligence services have a long history of mingling sinister fiction with shards of fact and leaking through third parties to cover their tracks.
- A Powerful Russian Weapon: The Spread of False Stories - The New York Times, August 28, 2016
- How I Got Slimed By Russian Propagandist Site Sputnik, by Kurt Eichenwald, - "Newsweek", October 20, 2016
- Bausman and fraud at Russia Insider? Lavelle blows the whistle - Fort Russ, April 11, 2016
- Clinton Distraction Circus Hits Panic Mode Over Russia And ‘Fake News’ - Michael Sainato, Observer, November 25, 2016
- The Orwellian War on Skepticism, Robert Parry, December 1, 2016
- Russia’s Influence Campaign Targeting the 2016 US Presidential Election - ODNI, January 6, 2016
- RT stars in ODNI report on 'Russian activities and intentions' in US presidential election - RT, January 6, 2016
- For the record, RT and Sputnik Editor-in-Chief Margarita Simonyan response, (Engl.)(Rus.)
- Hate Makes Us Weak - How Russia exploits American racism and xenophobia for its own gain - William Saletan, Slate, March 31, 2017
- Inside Russia’s Social Media War on America - Massimo Calabresi, TIME, May 29, 2017
- War by Other Means - Russian Active Measures and the Weaponization of Information - Max Bergmann and Carolyn Kenney, Center for American Progress, June 2017 (PDF)
- Forget Comey. The Real Story Is Russia’s War on America - Molly K. McKew, Politico, June 12, 2017
- How Russia Targets the U.S. Military - Ben Schreckinger, Politico, June 12, 2017
- Online Trolling Wreaks Havoc On People — And On Democracies - Liz Wahl, Newsy, June 29, 2017
- Wikipedia: Fake news website
- "Fake News" Fizzles on Arrival - Anatoly Karlin, UNZ Review, November 29, 2016
- Washington Post on the ‘Fake News’ Hot Seat At least one of the websites blamed in a story for supposedly circulating Russian propaganda is threatening to sue the storied newspaper. Lloyd Grove, The Daily Beast, December 9, 2016
- Russia Used Fake News to Influence the Election, Says U.S. Intelligence Chief - Will Oremus, Slate, January 5, 2017
- Is It Propaganda Or Not?
- On Blacklists and Russia 'Hacking' American Democracy, Yasha Levine, November 25, 2016
- Washington Post Promotes Shadowy Website That Accuses 200 Publications of Being Russian Propaganda Plants, Max Blumenthal, November 25, 2016
- Washington Post Disgracefully Promotes a McCarthyite Blacklist From a New, Hidden, and Very Shady Group, Ben Norton and Glenn Greenwald, November 26, 2016
- Washington Post’s ‘Fake News’ Guilt, Robert Parry, November 28, 2016
- The Major Purveyor of ‘Fake News’ is the CIA-Corporate Complex - Wayne Madsen, Strategic Culture, November 28, 2016
- Bait & Switch – Fake News, propornot, the Real Inform & Influence Operation - GH Eliason, offGuardian, November 30, 2016
- The Propaganda About Russian Propaganda - Adrian Chen, The New Yorker, December 1, 2016
- A report from a group called PropOrNot has accused hundreds of Web sites of spreading Russian propaganda. But its methodology is a mess.
- House Quietly Passes Bill Targeting "Russian Propaganda" Websites - ZeroHedge, December 2, 2016
- The Anonymous Blacklist Promoted by the Washington Post Has Apparent Ties to Ukrainian Fascism and CIA Spying - Mark Ames, Alternet, December 7, 2016
House bill H.R. 6393 (passed House), ‘‘Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2017’’: Sec. 501. Committee To Counter Active Measures By The Russian Federation To Exert Covert Influence Over Peoples And Governments, 22 Nov 2016
- Senate Quietly Passes The "Countering Disinformation And Propaganda Act" - ZeroHedge, December 12, 2016
- SCARED SHITLESS: 2016 NDAA Targets Alternative Media For Treason - Alexander Higgins, December 12, 2016
Inaugural benedictions were not Russian
A number of religious benedictions or similar pronouncements were delivered at President Trump inauguration. In particular the one delivered by Rabbi Hier of Simon Wiesenthal Center,Psalm 137 based, was the first of its kind and quite widely discussed. In particular, it was speculated that it may have to do with a theory that President Putin considers Israel a Russian Federation dominion, with about 1 million or so of its citizens holding a Russian passport. That theory is not quite true as it stands, despite the quotations, but in any case, Rabbi Hier is of Polish origin and there is nothing 'Russian' about him at all. --Resup (talk) 13:36, 21 January 2017 (UTC)
- “My parents escaped in the ’20s from Poland ", Rabbi Hier was quoted saying.
- THE “WHITE WHALE”: WHY EUROPE IS OBSESSED WITH FIGHTING ‘RUSSIAN PROPAGANDA’ - HANEUL'S RED STAR RANTS, December 8, 2016
- It’s time we turned the heat up on Putin’s lie machine. The news service RT has got a nerve complaining about the closure of its bank account. Oliver Kamm - "The Times", October 18, 2016
- "Putin’s Useful Idiots: Britain’s Left, Right and Russia", Russia Studies Centre Policy Paper No. 10 (2016), Dr Andrew Foxall, The Henry Jackson Society, October 2016
- The Putin Problem - Sky News, July 8, 2017 (video)
- Warum darf dieser Putin - Scherge an Merkels Tisch sitzen?- "Bild", October 19, 2016
- Countering the information war from the East with robust cooperation - Nordic Council, January 22, 2015
- This is What Pro-Russia Internet Propaganda Feels Like – Finns Have Been Tricked into Believing in Lies - YLE Kioski, June 24, 2015
- Jessikka Aro: My year as a pro-Russia troll magnet - Jessikka Aro, Kyiv Post, November 9, 2015 (original)
- Targeted by the Kremlin troll army - Business Ukraine, December 5, 2015
- NATO’s information expert Jessikka Aro turned out to be a convicted drug dealer - Ilja Janitskin, MV-lehti, February 24, 2016
- Finnish journalist Jessikka Aro's inquiry into Russian trolls stirs up a hornet's nest - Nick Miller, Sidney Morning Herald March 13, 2016
- Aro and Kankkonen win Bonnier journalism prizes - YLE Uutiset, MArch 16, 2016
- The cyberspace war: propaganda and trolling as warfare tools - Jessikka Aro, European View, June 2016, Volume 15, Issue 1, pp 121–132 (May 10, 2016)
- MV Lehti – Russian Trolls In Finland - Joel Harding, May 26, 2016
- Effort to Expose Russia's 'Troll Army' Draws Vicious Retaliation - Andrew Higgins, The New York Times, May 30, 2016
- How Finland became a battleground in the Russia-NATO information war - Nikolai Shevchenko, RBTH, June 10, 2016
- THE KREMLIN’S VOICE: JOHAN BÄCKMAN - Joel Harding, September 14, 2016
- Infiltration of YLE revealed when the defamation campaign against the award-winning journalist Jessikka Aro rolled up by prosecutors and police - Joel Harding, October 15, 2016
- Finland sees propaganda attack from former master Russia - Reuters, October 19, 2016
"Kremlin" produced anti-Navalnyi "hips-don't lie" video, telling a little schoolboy to stay away from politics, 'start with yourself", "go study the basics". Navalnyi admits all is lost, produces with NATO psy-ops help a response pro-Putin video
- Some identified sources used in Navalnyi's psy-op video: one is Budaev's re-rendering (going several years back) of 'White Sun of the Desert"; there is also graphics resembling scenes from "Master and Margarita"; other stuff of unknown origin meshes quite well with those. "Putin with Snowden" is from Budaev too, second pic here (+ more in this album is on video); "with Yanukovich on Maidan", 4th pic here. Title pic is Budaev again.
Certain Valentin Ivanovich Turchinov (DOB 1909), namesake of father of Alexander Turchinov (DOB 1964), served in 1942 in a German army's prisoners work battalion in Lannion, France, and was punished and served in a Russian camp after the war. Further claimed that actually he later served in 447 punishers battalion committing war crimes in anti-partisan operations in Bryansk region; but interrogation page document appears quite new and at least not the original. Used to make a case against Alexander Turchinov (though a bit late for fatherhood, and a different wife). Here the story pretty-presented and cheered up, sort of, by pro-Bandera users, part mockery, part extra admiration of the "Bloody Pastor' image.