Russian fleet in the Mediterranean
- This article is about the high-noon stand-off between Russia and the U.S. in 2013. For the current situation, see Russian deployment in Syria#Naval deployment
- 1 Standoff in 2013
- 2 What is the mission?
- 3 Nuclear warheads
- 4 Speculation
- 5 Nato attack
- 6 Who canceled the order?
- 7 Israeli missiles?
- 8 Russian deployment in 2015
- 9 2016
- 10 2017
- 11 2018
- 12 2020
- 13 2021
- 14 2022
- 15 Background
Standoff in 2013
- Is The Russian Navy Really Going To Syria - And Why? - International Business Times, July 12 2012
- Russian warships arrive in the Eastern Mediterranean - TASS, August 2, 2012
- A flotilla of Russian vessels has started fulfilling its tasks in the Eastern Mediterranean. In the next few days, another flotilla of ships led by destroyer Vice Admiral Kulakov will join them, says the press service of the Russian Defence Ministry.
- Russia Is Upping The Ante By Sending Its Only Aircraft Carrier To The Mediterranean - Business Insider, June 1, 2013
- Russia’s Only Aircraft Carrier Syria Bound? - Zachary Keck, The Diplomat, June 07, 2013
- Russia deploying warship, missile cruiser to Mediterranean near Syria – PressTV, Aug 29, 2013
- Russia sends warships to Mediterranean as Syria tension rises – Timothy Heritage / REUTER, Aug 29, 2013
- Russia helps Syria prep for possible U.S. attack - CNN, September 2, 2013 (video)
- Israel claims joint US missile launch in Mediterranean for 'target practice' - RT, September 3, 2013
- Russian destroyer enters east Mediterranean to head task force – report – RT, September 04, 2013
- Russia Boosts Mediterranean Force as U.S. Mulls Syria Strike – Jake Rudnitsky & Henry Meyer, Sep 4, 2013
- Very short bullet style news update – The Saker, Sept 6, 2013
- Russia dispatches warship with "special cargo" to Syria's coast – Al Akhbar, Sept 6, 2013
- SYRIA: McCain Guarantees Russia, China and Iran Will Not Act - AMTV, Sept 6, 2013
- "It doesn’t concern me in the slightest," McCain said in 2013, when asked if he was worried about a Russian and Chinese intervention in Syria. "Because they will not act."
- "The United States is the most powerful nation in the world, and we’re not going to be intimidated by Russia and China," he added. "We are not, so I guarantee you that they will not act."
- TACTICAL UPDATE + MAPS + Lots of INFO: Standoff in the Mediterranean, US vs RUSSIAN Navies & more...
- Russia sent ships to evacuate its citizens from Syria ahead of U.S. strike – WorldTribune.com, September 10, 2013
- Russia’s ‘carrier-killer’ Moskva enters Mediterranean – RT, September 11, 2013
- Russia is continuing to increase the sized of its naval task force of the Syrian coast - The Saker, September 13, 2013
- Demonizing Putin Endangers America’s Security – Stephen F. Cohen, The Nation, September 16, 2013
- The Cape of Good Hope - Israel Shamir, October 5, 2013 (Global Research)
- The most dramatic event of September 2013 was the high-noon stand-off near the Levantine shore, with five US destroyers pointing their Tomahawks towards Damascus and facing them - the Russian flotilla of eleven ships led by the carrier-killer Missile Cruiser Moskva and supported by Chinese warships. Apparently, two missiles were launched towards the Syrian coast, and both failed to reach their destination.
- Russia's 'aircraft carrier killer' Varyag and battle cruiser Pyotr Veliky arrive in Mediterranean – RT, November 02, 2013
- The flagship of Russia’s Pacific Fleet, Varyag, and the country’s most powerful nuclear-powered battleship, Pyotr Veliky, entered the Mediterranean Sea on Saturday.
- Russian Movements In 2013 - Bosphorus Naval News
- China and Russia may hold joint naval drill in the Mediterranean - RT, January 19, 2014
- Russia and China have agreed to conduct a joint naval drill in the Mediterranean Sea, a Russian media report cites the Defense Ministry. The countries’ fleets are currently involved in an intl operation to escort the Syrian chemical weapons stockpile.
- Почему в Сирии будут базы ВМФ и ВВС России, а не США (WHY SYRIA WILL HOST A RUSSIAN NAVY AND AIR FORCE BASE AND NOT AN AMERICAN) - News Front, March 29, 2015
- Why does the West hate Putin - australianvoice via Katehon, March 1, 2015
- Can Russia Block Regime Change In Syria Again? - australianvoice, August 9, 2015
- So why didn’t the US and France attack Syria? It seems obvious that the Russians and Chinese simply explained that an attack on Syria by US and French forces would be met by a Russian/Chinese attack on US and French warships. Obama wisely decided not to start WW III in September 2013.
- One Way No More: NATO Rings Alarm Over Russia’s Might in Mediterranean - Sputnik, October 21, 2015
- “We have to be prepared for Russia to be [in Syria] as a factor for a long time,” the newspaper quotes Alexander Vershbow, NATO’s deputy secretary-general as saying. He especially noted what he referred to as “Moscow’s permanent, disruptive presence south of the Bosphorus”.
- “[We have to] think about the broader consequences of this build up in the Eastern Mediterranean and the capacity of these airbases,” he said. What sparks even more alarm is that “Russia’s renewed presence” apparently “threatens to restrict the freedom of navigation”, which allows NATO “to quickly and easily deploy military assets”.
- For the US, for example, it could complicate its ability to readily project naval power into the Gulf, the newspaper says. “It would have made a NATO decision to intervene in the Libyan conflict in 2011 far more difficult to plan.”
- Russia deployed Moskva ship with S-300 "Fort" anti-aircraft system. While Turkey deployed two submarines to watch over Moskva...
What is the mission?
What are Putin's secret orders to the fleet?
- Russia to expand Mediterranean fleet to 10 warships – Navy chief – RT, September 13, 2013
- “The task is crystal clear: to avoid a slightest threat to the security of the state. This is a general practice of all fleets around the world, to be there when a tension level increases. They are all going to act on operational command plan of the offshore maritime zone,” Chirkov told journalists on Friday. "Russia will be building up its Mediterranean fleet until it is deemed sufficient to perform the task set."
I think this is the clearest statement yet, that Russia is prepared to start a shooting war with US and sink any ship involved in illegal aggression. -- Petri Krohn (talk) 10:16, 13 September 2013 (UTC)
- Russia went on war alert over missile test – F. MICHAEL MALOOF, WND, September 10, 2013
- “Disparity in high-tech naval warfare capabilities between the U.S. and Russian fleets is no guarantee that an attack on Syria will not escalate into a wider war that includes Russia,” according to a report of the open source intelligence entity Langley Intelligence Group Network, or Lignet.
- “Russian military doctrine has a solution for any technological advantages enjoyed by U.S. forces: striking first,” the Lignet report said. “Indeed, the Russian military doctrine of ‘de-escalation’ calls for prevailing in and terminating a regional conflict by the early use of nuclear weapons to defeat the adversary – usually the United States, in military writings – and to cow the enemy into submission by this Russian version of ‘shock and awe,’” the report said.
- Sources say that some of the Russian warships deployed to Syria have tactical nuclear weapons, although the U.S. has dismantled its tactical nuclear weapons.
- For example, the Moskva guided-missile cruiser heading to Syria carries 16 surface-to-surface N-12 cruise missiles, each of which carries a 350-kiloton warhead, sources say.
- “A Russian navy armed with nuclear weapons is more than a match for a U.S. Navy with no nuclear weapons, especially if the United States is lulled into complacency by the false calculus that high technology equals invulnerability,” the report added.
I do not think Russia would need nuclear warheads to sink or destroy the US fleet. Sinking US aircraft carriers is what the Soviet Navy was designed to do. The tactical nukes are there not for offence, but for defense – in case the US Navy tries to counter attack. The presence of the nukes gives the Russia the backbone whereby they can launch offensive action against the US, even if the US fleet may seem bigger and more powerful.
- Syria: Former CIA Analyst predicts another False Flag Attack – M. Klostermayr / Syrianews.cc, September 8, 2013
- The ex-CIA analyst, Ray McGovern, even said that such a staged attack on US destroyers at the coast of Syria could already happen in the upcoming days. This would underline the fears and predictions of other political analysts and experts in the events in the Middle East and developments of such planned wars.
- Ex-CIA analyst predicts ‘false flag’ attack on US destroyers off Syria coast – PressTV, September 8, 2013
- Hollande’s Willingness to Use Force Defies Doubters – Gregory Viscusi, Bloomberg News, February 10, 2014
- On Aug. 31, French Rafale warplanes were hours away from taking off to launch cruise missiles against Syria when U.S. President Barack Obama called off the joint strike.
Who canceled the order?
- Has Washington Gone Looney Tunes? - F. William Engdahl, 22.06.2015
- The last NATO politician to foolishly talk about red lines was US President Barack Obama in Syria in 2013 and that nearly landed the US in a Middle East conflagration so dangerous that his own generals reportedly threatened to resign.
- According to Shoigu, 624 cruise missiles were on 24 hours readiness to launch (in 2013, in addition to unspecified number of other weapons), however Russian president managed to convince (not to do it) and realized a plan on turning in and destruction of chemical weapons-RIA Novosti, 15 Aug., 2016 --Resup (talk) 13:38, 15 August 2016 (UTC)
- Missiles launched in Mediterranean towards Syrian coast, claims Russian defence ministry - The Telegraph, September 3, 2013
- The launches took place at 10:16 am Moscow time (0616 GMT) and were detected by the ballistic missile early warning system in Armavir in southern Russia, the defence ministry said in a statement quoted by Russian news agencies. Shortly after 11am, Israel announced that it had carried out a joint missile test with the US in the Mediterranean, using a missile designed to shoot down incoming missiles.
Russian deployment in 2015
- Main article: Russian deployment in Syria#Naval deployment
Putin's new orders
Putin gives new orders after the ISIS attack on Paris:
- Putin Orders MoD to Cooperate With French Naval Group - Sputnik, November 17, 2015
- Meeting on Russia’s Armed Forces actions in Syria - Kremlin.ru, November 17, 2015
- Vladimir Putin: Mr Krivorog, a French naval group will soon approach your area, headed by an aircraft carrier. You need to establish direct contact with them and work together as allies.
- The General Chief of Staff and the Defence Minister have already received appropriate instructions. You will have to develop a joint plan of action with them both in the air and at sea.
- Thank you.
- Russia sends world’s largest submarine, with 200 nukes, to Syria - via Debka File, September 7, 2015. -See also under 'disinformation' -(Also, a related article from the same source: 'Russia eludes US ban on NATO airspace by roundabout route to Syria via Iraq and Iran', Debka file, 9.9.15).
- AN 124 landed in Syria-report, photos, video. The purpose is presented as humanitarian, bringing supplies to set up a refugee camp for up to 2000 people. (Separate reports confirmed military supplies, on a long-term, normal basis). The mission is presented as involving Iran ("Russian and Iranian military will jointly guard and protect refugee camp" -Rusvesna, and 'in the future, the operation may involve China', following a request made by Syrian government. --Resup (talk) 21:07, 12 September 2015 (UTC)
- UKRAINE AND THE UNITED STATES AFRAID OF RUSSIAN SHIPS IN THE BLACK SEA
- Russia is serious: Positions Navy off coast of Syria's Lattakia for possible cruise attack on militants - Fars News Agency, October 3, 2015
- Russia May Use Navy to Blockade Syrian Coast - Sputnik, October 5, 2015
- Russia's Black Sea Fleet may be used in Syria to blockade the Syrian coastline and deliver armaments, as well as possibly deliver artillery strikes, the head of Russian State Duma's defense committee and former Black Sea Fleet commander Vladimir Komoyedov said.
- Missile cruiser Variag, Russian Pacific fleet flagship, has entered the Mediterranean, RIA, Jan 3, 2016
- Russian large landing ships "Azov" and "Minsk" have passed through the Bosphorus and head to the Syrian Arab Republic with a military cargo on board- Rusvesna, Jan. 23, 2016.
- Small Calibr missile -capable ship 'Zelenyi Dol' of the Russian Black sea fleet is to sail to Syria, Feb 13, 2016
- ‘Graphic representation of capability’: 2 US aircraft carrier groups deployed in Med - RT, June 9, 2016
- Deployment of a second US air carrier in the Mediterranean has been called to deter a Russian task force deployed in the region, a US official told the Wall Street Journal.
- “It provides some needed presence in the Med to check…the Russians,” a military official in Washington told the WSJ. “The unpredictability of what we did with Truman kind of makes them think twice,” he said, noting that the new deployment demonstrates that the US Navy can be agile and adaptive.
- Russia sends cruise missile ships to Mediterranean - Tim Ripley, IHS Jane's Defence Weekly, October 10, 2016
- 'Posturing' Russians to send aircraft carrier and fleet along the English Channel - The Telegraph, October 14, 2016
- Royal Navy chiefs and their Nato allies are drawing up plans to escort up to eight Russian warships which are due to leave port imminently to join the country’s air strike campaign against Syrian rebels.
- "Adm. Kuznetsov" and "Pyotr Velikii" are part of the Russian Northern Fleet. Sailing from one of northern bases to Syria via English Channel is quite a plausible shortcut.
- Commentary: Why Putin is unleashing his only aircraft carrier - Peter Apps, Reuters, October 20, 2016
- Russia's Big Guns Go to War - Petri Krohn, Donbass Defence Journal, October 21, 2016
- When Russia Threatens by Sea – Maybe Intelligence Can Prevail? - Phil Butler, New eastern Outlook, October 31, 2016
- Admiral Kuznetsov Carrier Group Saved Syria From US Cruise Missile Strikes - Sputnik, November 2, 2016
- "The presence of our ships [between Algeria and Italy] excludes the possible deployment of a similar NATO naval group in the area. Factually, our ships have closed Syria off. The Russian ships did not appear where they are by accident, and eliminated the possibility of launching cruise missiles from that direction."
- The Russian Navy in the Eastern Mediterranean: Naval Briefing November 9th, 2016 by LeDahu - The Saker, November 9, 2016
- NATO Gets Cozy With Russia in the Med as Preparations to Strike Daesh Intensify - Sputnik, November 10, 2016
- USS George H.W. Bush (CVN 77) launches 20 airstrikes against ISIS in one day - SOFREP, March 1, 2017
- Russia sends 2 additional warships to Syria amid tensions over US cruise missile strike - Alex Lockie, Business Insider, April 11, 2017
- Russian Navy Is Beefing up Its Mediterranean Presence - Russian Defense Policy via Russia Insider, June 12, 2017
- A US aircraft carrier is heading back to the Mediterranean to hammer ISIS - Alex Lockie, Business Insider, 08 June 8, 2017
- After a brief absence of US aircraft carrier presence in the eastern Mediterranean, the USS George H. W. Bush will be returning to Syria's coast to hammer ISIS forces in the region.
- This marks the first time the US Navy has had a carrier in the region since US guided-missile destroyers struck Syrian President Bashar Assad's air force after his regime carried out a deadly chemical weapon attack on civilians.
- Russia's Mediterranean Threat to NATO - Institute for the Study of War, July 13, 2017
- Syria: Russian Navy holds parade in waters off Tartus to mark Navy Day - AMN, July 30, 2017 (video)
- Brasco_Aad @Brasco_Aad on Twitter, March 13, 2018
- Russia is sending more and more warships and submarines to the #Mediterranean: RFS 490 'Admiral Essen', a Admiral Grigorovich Class frigate + RFS 868 'Pytlivyy' Krivak II Class frigate + numerous Kilo class submarines.
- US planning missile and bombing raid against Damascus — top brass - TASS, March 13, 2018
- "Russia’s Armed Forces will take retaliatory measures to target both the missiles and their delivery vehicles."
- ΕΚΤΑΚΤΟ – Επίθεση κατά ρωσικής βάσης στην Συρία – Ρωσία-ΗΠΑ αναπτύσσουν μεγάλες δυνάμεις – Πάμε για …παγκόσμιο πόλεμο; (Russian-based attack on Syria - Russia-US develop great powers - Let's go for ... world war?) - ellinotourkika, March 17, 2018
- In the Mediterranean Sea the frigates have entered: "Admiral Grigorovich", "Orsk" and "Minsk" dumpers, the Pytlivy Destroyer Destroyer, an anti-submarine craft all equipped with dozens of Cruise Kalibr missiles with an action radius of 2000 km.
- In general, the Russian group of vessels in the Mediterranean has grown and includes 8-10 ships and up to six submarines and this is for Russia an unprecedented fleet concentration in a limited area.
- Russian Navy Hit and Sank a Decommissioned Frigate in Syria Live Fire Drills (VIDEO) - Marko Marjanović, Russia Insider, April 27, 2018
- Russia’s Navy Establishes Permanent Presence in Mediterranean Sea - Peter Korzun, Strategic Culture May 20, 2018
- Russia sends largest naval armada of Syrian War in response to reports of imminent US attack - AMN, August 25, 2018
- Russia Sends Warships to Syrian Shores as US Suspected of Preparing Strike - Sputnik, August 26, 2018
- Russia Deploys Fleet Off Syria While Claiming U.S. Preparing for Possible Strike - Haaretz, August 27, 2018
- 'Marine shield for Syria' -Izvestia, via Rusvesna, Russia deploys the largest group of warships off the coast of Syria (INFOGRAPHICS) , August 28, 2018
- The strike group includes the missile cruiser "Marshal Ustinov", the large anti-submarine ship "Severomorsk", the patrol ship "Pytlivyi"(«Пытливый»), the frigate "Admiral Grigorovich", the escort ships "Admiral Essen" and "Admiral Makarov", the small missile ships "Grad Sviyazhsk", "Great Ustyug", "Vyshny Volochek", diesel-electric submarines B-268 "Veliky Novgorod" and B-271 "Kolpino". A few more ships are approaching. On the cruiser "Marshal Ustinov" a powerful anti-ship missile system "Vulkan" is deployed, and eight warships carry cruise missiles "Caliber". To supply the large group a large naval tanker of the Black Sea Fleet "Ivan Bubnov" was sent to the Mediterranean.
- Russia bolsters navy presence in Mediterranean off Syria - RT, August 28, 2018
- 'Fearsome response from Russia: how a powerful squadron of the Navy came to Syria, frightened NATO and changed the alignment of forces' -Rusvesna, August 29, 2018
- Venäjä tuonut kaikessa hiljaisuudessa uusia sotalaivoja Välimerelle - suurhyökkäys Syyriaan tulossa? - Iltalehti August 29, 2018 (in Finnish)
- A good summary of all the aspects of the developing story, unique in Western mainstream media
- Bogdasarov: A Russian Response To A New US Attack On Syria Should Include Sinking The Warships - RuEconomics via Fort Russ, August 29, 2018
- VIDEO: Will Onyx Missile Launch By Russia Send The ‘MESSAGE” To The U.S What AWAITS Them In SYRIA? - Fort Russ, August 29, 2018
- The Russian fleet declares the Mediterranean a dangerous area for all ships and aircraft - Desert Hawk, MENA Facts, August 30, 2018
- Russia to hold ‘large-scale’ drills in Mediterranean - Asia Times, August 31, 2018
- Syrian General Unveils Hidden Target Of Russian Maneuvers In The Mediterranean - Fort Russ, September 4, 2018
- SURPRISE! Russian Naval Forces Will Remain To Oversee Idlib Liberation Even As ‘Drills’ In Mediterranean Formally Conclude Today - Paul Antonopoulos, Fort Russ, September 9, 2018
- These may be enough to stop a US attack on Syria in the coming months, and it is believed that these military exercises are to push-back on imperialist powers enough to maybe deter from a seaborne attack against the Arab state. The Russian Naval Forces intended to stay on alert in the region until Syrian and Iranian forces are successful in finally liberating Idlib.
- Pentagon questions presence of Russian warships off Syrian coast - Ryan Browne, CNN, September 13, 2018
- Russian Destroyers Are Escorting Iranian Tankers In Mediterranean Amid US-UK Threats - ZeroHedge, October 23, 2020
- Russian Attack Sub Reportedly Disappears From NATO Radars in the Mediterranean - Sputnik, March 19, 2021
- Moscow Breaks US Blockade of Syria, Destroys Militant Base - Alexander Mercouris, April 25, 2021 (video)
- Russian Navy in the Eastern Mediterranean — snapshot of activity - Nat South, The Saker Blog, May 6, 2021
- See also Russian special operation in Ukraine
- Shoigu and Gerasimov cause serious confusion in NATO - News and Politics - Красная кнопка, translated by Eugenia Gurevich, January 26, 2022 (video)
- VIDEO: The Russian fleet is working in the Mediterranean. - March 2022
- US Navy Deploys Carrier Strike Group in Med to Implement Ukraine No-Fly Zone If Biden Gives Order - Sputnik, March 22, 2022
- War: How Russia sank Nixon’s gunboat diplomacy - Russia & India Report, December 20, 2011
- Can the US Navy Catch Up to Russia's Huge Firepower Advantage? - Dmitry Filipoff, Russia Insider, October 1, 2018