- Not to be confused with batmobile.
A Ratmobile, also Technical is the favorite means of transportation for Islamist fighters, spotted en masse at least since the 2011 western-supported campaign to get rid of Libya's independent government. But already in 1987 a conflict between Chad and Libya has been dubbed the "Toyota War" thanks to the achievements of the Chadian army utilizing ratmobiles of that brand. Recently they have been introduced to Ukraine by the pro-Maidan forces. Often ratmobiles are a gift from wealthy foreign donors.
Ratmobiles consist of a light flatbed truck, often Toyota, with mounted more or less heavy weapons - the 12.7mm Soviet-era heavy machine gun nicknamed Dushka ("Sweetie" in Russian) being the most common choice. Typically manned by 6-8 young men in black clothes longing for the 7th century and engaging in feverish allahuakbarking.
The modern ratmobile has its origins in the tachanka, a horse-drawn platform mounting a heavy machine gun, invented by Ukrainian revolutionary Nestor Makhno, who gave his name to Makhnovshchina – a state of violent anarchistic chaos.
The first vehicle carrying weapons, the Ur-mobile, was manufactured in Ur, south of Baghdad, Iraq, around 2500 b.c. Around 1884 c.e., Sir Hiram Stevens Maxim invented the machine gun. The ratmobile combines the two into a highly mobile platform of terror.
- An armored ratmobile is called a shushpantser.
- According to recent leaks, the Russian military-industrial complex is working on Nanoratmobiles.
- Iranian ratmobiles have recently been seen armed with intercontinental ballistic missiles.
- A machine gun can also be mounted on a shopping cart or a wheelbarrow.
ISIS Ratmobile Origins
- US Officials Ask How ISIS Got So Many Toyota Trucks ABC News via Yahoo News, October 6, 2015 (a timely question).
- U.S. counter-terror officials have asked Toyota, the world’s second largest auto maker, to help them determine how ISIS has managed to acquire the large number of Toyota pick-up trucks and SUVs seen prominently in the terror group’s propaganda videos in Iraq, Syria and Libya, ABC News has learned.
- Toyota says it does not know how ISIS obtained the vehicles and is “supporting” the inquiry led by the Terror Financing unit of the Treasury Department -- part of a broad U.S. effort to prevent Western-made goods from ending up in the hands of the terror group.
- ... the U.S. State Department delivered 43 Toyota trucks to Syrian rebels. A more recent report in an Australian newspaper said that more than 800 of the trucks had been reported missing in Sydney between 2014 and 2015...
- Nosy US Officials Ask: 'How Did ISIS Get so Many F---ing Toyotas?' - Russia Insider, October 7, 2015
- Highway to Hell: US Looks Into how ISIL Gets its Infamous Toyota Trucks - Sputnik, October 8, 2015
- Moderate Syrian rebels 'to be given power to call in US air strikes', The Telegraph, February 17, 2015
- The Wall Street Journal reported that some rebels will be equipped with pick-up trucks modified with mounted machine guns as well as radios for calling in US airstrikes [...] American and Turkish officials said an agreement on training fighters on Turkish soil would be signed within days. [...] Four to six-man units will be equipped with rugged Toyota Hilux vehicles, GPS and radios so they can identify targets for airstrikes.
- The Mystery of ISIS' Toyota Army Solved, Tony Cartalucci, October 9, 2015
- How Did ISIS Get All Those Toyota Trucks? - Ron Paul Institite, October 13, 2015
- Stopped by Kurds, December 26, 2015
- Rusvesna, report, photos and video (those captured vehicles are shown in the second half of the video, a loaded Mitsubishi pickup, also a BMP), June 20, 2016.
- actual IS video, for comparison (Russian with English subs)
- How to pick up arms against Qaddafi, Colors Magazine, July 12, 2011
- Pickup Trucks for Libyan Liberation – D'Marge
- The Pickup Truck Era of Warfare, Jack Mulcaire, February 11, 2014
- Донецк, Спецназ штурмует с. Мар'їнка/Donetsk, SF storm v. Mar'inka – August 6, 2014
- Glorious Ukrainian Tachanka – СЛАВА УКРАЇНІ
- Azov battalion parade in Mariupol, June 13, 2015 (Video)
- This one Toyota pickup truck is at the top of the shopping list for the Free Syrian Army — and the Taliban – Stephen Snyder, April 01, 2014
- 2016 Toyota Hilux Unleashed: Favored By Militants, World’s Best Selling Small Truck - Angelo Young, International Business Times, May 21, 2015
- Why Is The Toyota Hilux So Popular Among Militants? (video) - International Business Times, May 26, 2015
- ISIS Has $1B Worth Of US Humvee Armored Vehicles; One Was Used In Monday's Suicide Bombing Near Baghdad - Angelo Young, International Business Times, June 1, 2015
- إستعراض مهيب لجنود دولة الخلافة بمدينة درنة الليبية (Majestic parade for the soldiers of the State of succession in the Libyan tuber) – Oct 5, 2014
- Nestor Makhno – Wikipedia
- Standard of Ur, British Museum, detail: war panel
- Maxim Gun, Wikipedia
- Pavel Gubarev presents a Novorossiyan ratmobile – Quote: "It is one of the most fearsome weapons of mobile war."