Israel Air Strikes in Syria
- Israeli planes strikes a target near Damascus. S 300 shipment to Lebanon is said to be targeted. No casualties were reported. --Resup (talk) 20:02, 7 December 2014 (UTC)
- BBC: Iran's elite Revolutionary Guards have confirmed that a general was killed in a suspected Israeli air strike in the Syrian Golan Heights on Sunday. Mohammad Ali Allah-Dadi was in Syria to advise forces supporting President Bashar al-Assad, a statement said.--Resup (talk) 17:52, 21 January 2015 (UTC)
- Haaretz, Damascus airport hit podrobnosti.ua. "Weapons shipment" to Hamas may be hit, as reported. Syria apparently denied there was a strike.
- Samir Kuntar (Hezbollah) reported killed in an airstrike on a Damascus suburb. Strike by Israel (as an interested party) is presumed in Russian media, however neither Syria nor Israel confirmed that.
- Wikipedia: On May 26, 2008, Israeli sources announced that Samir Kuntar was among those who would be exchanged for the bodies of two reservists, Eldad Regev and Ehud Goldwasser, captured by Hezbollah in the Zar'it-Shtula incident that sparked the 2006 Lebanon War. On June 29, 2008 the Israeli ministers cabinet approved the prisoner exchange between Hezbollah and Israel which would involve the release of Kuntar despite intelligence stating that the two soldiers were almost certainly dead. Kuntar and four other prisoners released as part of the deal were the last of the Lebanese prisoners in Israeli custody. Also part of the deal was the release of the remains of other Lebanese from all other previous wars and, after a suitable interval, dozens of Palestinian prisoners. On July 16, 2008, Hezbollah transferred coffins containing the remains of captured Israeli soldiers Ehud Goldwasser and Eldad Regev, in exchange for Kuntar and four Hezbollah members taken prisoner during the 2006. Lebanon War.
- 13 Sept. 2016
- IDF says Syria fired missiles at its jets, but denies claim aircraft was downed.
- On Monday evening, Syrian fire crossed into the northern Golan Heights as a nationwide ceasefire brokered by the US and Russia came into effect in the embattled country. In response, the Israeli air force attacked cannons belonging to the Syrian regime on the Syrian side of the Golan Heights.
- Video claims to be the moment when Israeli jet was hit by S200 air defense missile (denied). It is also claimed that a drone was downed, with some downed drone photos on social media.
- 7 Sept. 2017
- JPost The alleged Israeli attack hit a scientific research center where chemical weapons are manufactured, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights. According to the reports, the attack was launched at 2:30 a.m. on targets located in central Syria, in the area of Hama, and also targeted several weapons convoys that were en route to Hezbollah strongholds in the area. The Syrian army charged later on Thursday morning that Israel killed two of its soldiers during the aerial attack.
- JPost: 'Critical that Russia not be surprised'
- 16 Oct. 2017
- S-200 battery near Damascus was damaged by Israeli strike.
- The Syrian Army has warned of “dangerous consequences” following an air strike by Israel on a regime SA-5 antiaircraft battery east of Damascus, after it fired a surface-to-air missile at Israeli jets. Syria’s SANA state news agency reported that the Assad regime “warned of the dangerous repercussions of Israel’s repeated aggression attempts, stressing Syria’s determination to continue its war against the terrorist groups, Israel’s arm in the region.” According to SANA, the Syrian air defense “directly hit one of the jets, forcing the enemy to retreat,” contradicting Israeli military claims that all planes had returned safely from the operation. The SA-5 missile battery, which was stationed some 50 kilometers east of the Syrian capital, fired at the Israeli jets which were on a routine aerial reconnaissance flight in Lebanese airspace, IDF spokesman Brig.-Gen. Ronen Manelis stated. Israel believes that the Syrians fired at the Israeli jets at 10 a.m. Monday after thinking that they intended to attack. All Israeli aircraft returned safely to base and a few hours later responded by launching four missiles toward the same battery, destroying it.
- IDF Spokesman Brig.Gen. Ronen Manelis told journalists that Russia was updated about the incident, in which no Israeli jets were harmed, in real time, and that it will be brought up during the visit of the Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu who is set to land in Israel in the coming hours.
- Syrian contributor to Rusvesna notes that the event occurred on the Syrian air force professional holiday (describing that as provocative and using emotional language throughout). It is notes in the post that no military personnel on the ground was harmed.
- 2 Dec. 2017
- JPost: Israeli aircraft attacked an Iranian base outside Damascus according to Sky News. According to foreign media reports, the Israeli fire was carried out from Lebanese airspace. The reports said that in response anti aircraft missiles were fired on the plane.
- 6 Feb. 2018
Syrian state media: air defenses intercept some Israeli missiles aimed at an Iranian base in the Jamaraya region- JPost, 7 Feb. 2018
10 Feb. 2018 (from our news page)
Israeli F16 'crashed' in Northern Israel, amid intensive Syrian anti-aircraft fire, with implication the F16 had been downed by it Sputnik reports. According to IDF spokesman report Israel had been targeting an Iranian drone control centre, and the downed F16 was involved, after an Iranian drone entered Israel from the Golan Heights.
Extended report by RT including details of response in Northern Israel where alarms were sounded and aerial explosions heard. RT reports an Iranian drone was shot down by an Israeli helicopter. In response Israeli F16s attacked 'Iranian targets' in Syria, the drone control centre/drone’s launch site at the Tiyas Military Airbase near Palmyra in a 'complicated surgical strike'. There have been earlier reports that Russia is flying small number of SU-25 planes from Tiyas airbase (also Russian commercial interests in the nearby area have been reported).
In a follow-up, Israel strikes more Syrian and Iranian targets in Syria: “Twelve targets, including three aerial defense batteries and four Iranian targets that are part of Iran’s military establishment in Syria were attacked.”
Haaretz: F16 PilotS were forced to eject. Israel operates a twin seat F-16D variant in addition to the normal single seat variants. Reports suggest that the plane was F16I "Soufa", which Israel has in a 2-seated option. The pilots are safe and were transferred to a hospital. One of the pilots is reported in 'serious' condition.
Videos of drone and command vehicle destruction have been posted by IDF.
Netanyahu shows a piece of Iranian drone in Munich, 18 Feb. 2018
- 9 Apr. 2018
- Top minister calls for international forces to stop ‘genocide’ in Syria - Times of Israel, 8 Apr. 2018
- Moscow denies Syrian regime used chemical weapons in Douma - Times of Israel, 8 Apr. 2018
- Top official leading Russian efforts for reconciliation in civil war says Kremlin ready to send in analysts to collect data and prove claims 'fabricated'
- Why did Assad use chemical weapons? Because he can - Times of Israel, 8 Apr. 2018
- Iranian Soldiers Among 14 Reported Dead In Syria Air Base Attack-JPost, 9 Apr. 2018
- An Israeli spokeswoman declined to comment on the attack.
- 14 said killed in attack on Syrian facility previously targeted by Israel - Times of Israel, 9 Apr. 2018
- news outlets close to dictator Bashar Assad’s regime reported that Israel was in fact behind the attack.
- US officials said the US had not launched airstrikes on Syria. Israel said it does not comment on foreign news reports.
- “According to a military source in Damascus, the Syrian Air Defense system was deployed from the Mezzeh Air Base after the jets entered Syria from Lebanon’s Beqa’a Valley,” Lebanese news site Al-Masdar News reported.
- That is the route that Israeli jets generally take before bombing military targets in Syria, according to foreign reports.
- RF Ministry of Defense: Israeli F-15 fired guided missiles at Syrian airfield T-4 -TASS, 9 Apr. 2018
- On April 9, between 03:25 and 03:53 Moscow time, two F-15 aircraft of the Israeli Air Force, without entering Syrian airspace, struck the T-4 airfield with eight guided missiles from the territory of Lebanon. Air Defense units of the Syrian Armed Forces destroyed five guided missiles during an anti-aircraft battle, three missiles reached the western part of the airfield. There are no casualties among the Russian advisers in Syria.
- 2 Israeli warplanes carried out strikes on Syrian airbase – Russian MoD - RT, April 9, 2018
- Сирия: ФАН публикует эксклюзивные фото последствий обстрела авиабазы Т-4 в провинции Хомс - RIA, April 9, 2018 (photos form T4 airbase)
- First Photos Emerge Of Syrian Base Allegedly Targeted By Israeli Air Strike -JPost, April 11, 208
- The first photos to emerge from a Syrian air base targeted by an air strike early Monday morning were published Wednesday by the Iranian Tasnim news agency.
- 29 Apr. 2018
- Israeli attacks on Iranian military positions was reported, 29 Apr. 2018, however it was not confirmed. According to early reports, "strikes targeted the outskirts of the village of Jabal, located about 5 km from the city of Hama, Syria. "The Israeli Air Force attacked Iranian positions, but partially touched the position of the 47th division of the SAA and warehouses." IDF aircraft did not enter Syrian airspace.".
- Syrian Army Says 'Enemy' Rocket Attacks Strike At Military Bases -JPost, quoting Syrian sources and social media, 30 Apr. 2018
- Israeli sources appear to blame warehouse explosion or a ground attack. However, there is a range of opinions by commenters without direct knowledge, some not excluding Israeli role, and (not unusually) no official comment (yet).
- Pro-Russian/loyalist sources claim that GBU-39 small diameter bomb was used
- Fiery hell: "RusVesna" visited the site of a night air strike on a secret base in Syria (PHOTO, VIDEO), 30 Apr. 2018. There were explosions at the ammo storage, attributed here to an Israeli attack.
- 'No Iranian forces harmed in Syria missile attacks' -Mehr News (Iran), April 30, 2018
- Suspected Israeli missile attack wipes out small town in Aleppo (photos) - Leith Aboufadel, AMN, April 30, 2018
- Suspected Israeli attack completely destroys Syrian missile base in Hama (photos) - Leith Aboufadel, AMN, April 30, 2018
- 8 May.
- 9 May, 2018.
- 10 May, 2018
- "Israel strikes Iranian targets in Syria in response to rocket fire" -BBC, 10 May, 2018
- 28 Israeli jets fired about 60 rockets in overnight strikes on Syria – Russian MoD - RT, May 10, 2018
- A total of 70 projectiles, including 60 air-to-surface rockets and more than 10 surface-to-surface missiles, hit Iranian military targets and Syrian air-defense systems near Damascus and in the south of the country on Thursday morning, the Russian military said in a statement.
- As part of broader strikes exchanges, Israeli missile struck Syrian Pantsir S1 vehicle at Mezze airbase, Damascus province. Rusvesna commentary: (1) Syrians overlooked the attack, a man (identified as lt. Ali Mustafa) is seen running towards Pantsir vehicle shortly before the strike (2) old model of Pantsir has radar only on one side (3) Rusvesna attributes the attack to Spike NLOS missile, a long range anti-tank missile with a range of about 25 km, saying that fragments were found. It's plausible; Wikipedia describes targeting system as infrared (heat seeking), not the most useful here , but other targeting systems in development are mentioned too.
- 24 May, 2018
- Report: Syrian Air Defense Intercepts Israeli Missile Strike on Airport -JPost, 24 May, 2018
- 26 June, 2018
- Syrian Media: Two Israeli Missiles Strike near Damascus Airport -JPost, 26 June, 2018 (AFP),(TASS,Rusvesna-own sources).
- 8 July, 2018
- Syrian TV: Israel Responsible for Air Strikes on T-4 Military Base in Homs -JPost, 8 July, 2018
- The air defenses hit one of the "attacking planes and forced the rest to leave" Syria's air space according to Syrian state media citing a military source. Syrian state media did not report any casualties, but according to Syrian opposition forces there are nine dead on the base. Al Jazeera, citing Arab media sources, said between four to six rockets hit the air base and surrounding areas. An army officer in the southern Syrian desert said the air defense system shot down missiles coming from south of the Tanf region towards the Homs air base.
- 22 July, 2018
- Israel struck military post in Hama province, Syrian state television says -JPost, 22 July, 2018
- Syrian state television said Israeli air strike had hit a military post in the city of Misyaf in Syria's Hama province but caused only material damage. An intelligence source said a major military research center for chemical arms production was located near the city. Some of Iran's military bases in Syria are next to Syrian military compounds, according to the intelligence source.
- (Note: reported in the evening of a day when it was announced that Israel helped evacuate the White Helmets)
- 4 Sep. 2018
- Syria says Israeli planes target military positions in Syria-JPost, 4 September, 2018
- Israeli planes said to attack Iranian military sites in Syria -Times of Israel, 4 September, 2018
- Israel struck over 200 Iranian targets in Syria over past year-JPost, 4 September, 2018
- The Israeli army has carried out more than 200 air-strikes against Iranian targets in Syria and fired over 800 missiles and mortar shells over the past year and a half, the IDF has revealed. The strikes were meant to prevent Iranian entrenchment in Syria, and led to the Islamic Republic evacuating several bases in Syria, according to the IDF. The campaign also interrupted Iran’s arms smuggling.
- ВВС Израиля атаковали Сирию, часть ракет сбита силами ПВО -Rusvesna, 4 September, 2018
- 15 Sep. 2018
- Syria accuses Israel of striking near Damascus international airport -JPost, 15 September, 2018
- 17 Sep. 2018
(Noted: Yom Kippur 2018 starts in the evening of 18 September).
- "Преднамеренная провокация". Что известно о крушении Ил-20 над Средиземным морем -TASS, 18 September, 2018.
- Russian MoD: Israeli jets hiding behind Russian radio-electronic reconnaissance IL-20 plane set it for a strike by Syrian air defense. 14 (other report, 15) military personnel on board were killed.
- Charge d'Affaires of Israel in Moscow Keren Cohen-Gat arrived on Tuesday at the Russian Foreign Ministry to discuss the situation with the Russian Il-20 aircraft shot down in Syria. Israeli Ambassador Harry Koren is also summoned to the Russian diplomatic mission
- Putin: ...As for your comparison with the well-known events, when our aircraft was shot down by a Turkish fighter, it is still a different situation. Then the Turkish fighter deliberately shot down our plane.Here, rather, it looks like a chain of tragic accidental circumstances, because the Israeli plane did not shoot down our plane. But, of course, we must seriously understand this. And our attitude to this tragedy is set out in the statement of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation, which has been fully agreed upon with me.
- IDF spokesperson: Israel expresses its regret over the death of the crew of the Russian plane that was shot down as a result of Syrian anti-aircraft fire. Israel places full responsibility for the incident on the Assad regime whose army overthrew the Russian plane. Israel also sees Iran and Hezbollah as partners in this unfortunate event. IDF warplanes attacked tonight Syrian military facility were transferred from the production of weapons systems and deadly accurate for Iran and Hezbollah in Lebanon. This weapon is designed to attack Israel and constitutes an intolerable threat to her. Between the IDF and the Russian army there is a working mechanism for preventing friction between the leaders agreed States and has proven itself a great number of times in recent years. This mechanism also operated tonight. An initial investigation of the incident revealed that: a. Extensive and inaccurate Syrian anti-aircraft fire caused damage to the Russian plane and its fall B. When the Syrian army fired the missiles that hit the Russian aircraft, Israeli Air Force planes were already in Israeli territory.
- 20 September, 2018. Israeli airforce chief visits Moscow.
- 23 September, 2018. RU MoD new press conference places a blame on Israel
- 21:39-21:42, Israeli colonel over deconfliction line warns on Israeli strike 'in Northern Syria'. Conversation is in Russian, record exists
- 21:40 Israeli strike on 'industrial objects in Latakia' (western, not northern Syria) by 4 Israeli planes using GBU 39 guided bombs
- 21:50 Syrian air defense starts responding
- after the strike, Israeli planes on patrol 70 km west of Syrian coast, deploying radio-electronic interference, 'and likely planning a new attack'
- 21:59 one Israeli plane starts maneuvering towards Syrian coast, getting closer to IL-20 (map at 22:00 shown on screen)
- it was taken as an attack by Syrian air defenses
- 22.03 (Msc). "the Syrian anti-aircraft missile struck a larger and nearer target - an IL-20 aircraft.The commander of the crew reported a fire on board and the beginning of an emergency descent"
- 22:29 Russia to Israel over deconfliction line: our plane in trouble, clear the area, we are sending search and rescue team. Israeli lt.: information received and passed to command.
- 22:40 Israeli planes leave
- 22:50 Israeli colonel responds over deconfliction line that their planes left, offers assistance
- 23 September, 2018. IDF spokesperson rejects the charges (alternative factual details are not presented). IDF Spokesperson's announcement:
- An IDF delegation headed by Air Force Commander Major General Amikam Norkin presented to senior Russian military officials the full IDF debriefing that the Russian plane had been shot down by Syrian anti-aircraft fire. The research was carried out and presented in a thorough, professional and detailed manner.
- The full details, precise and factual, are known to the professionals involved in the Russian army, and it is clear that the friction prevention mechanism has been operating in time (as it has been for the last two and a half years). The Israeli Air Force did not hide behind any aircraft and the Israeli planes were in Israel's airspace The Russian.
- The result of the plane's downfall by the Syrians is tragic and difficult, and we share the sorrow of the families and the Russian people.
- The coordination between the Israel Defense Forces and the Russian army has proved itself many times in recent years. Continued coordination is a common interest in light of regional challenges.
- At the same time, and as we have seen this time, the equipment of irresponsible elements with advanced weapons poses a danger to the region and can cause serious damage to the factors operating in the area.
- The safety and security of the Russian forces operating in Syria is before the eyes of the decision makers in Israel and the IDF and constitutes a significant consideration in approving each action.
- The IDF will continue to take all necessary steps, as it has done so far, to achieve this goal.
- The IDF will continue to act in accordance with the directives of the political echelon in the face of Iran's unceasing attempts to establish itself in Syria and arm itself with weapons
- Notes: (1) initial Russian announcement, see e.g. the top link above, had: date, around 23:00 msk, 17 September. The reason for the discrepancy is not entirely clear
- (2) In the beginning of video, screen presentation looks like an actual air control map, with signed ticks corresponding to individual planes (usually linked with flight parameters such as altitude, velocity). In the shoot-down part of the video, a schematic graphics is shown, distinct from the earlier air control map).
- (3) If air defenses were near Damascus, and target in Latakia, near Khmeimim base, this is some 210 km away. A target at height 3.4 km up is at the (visual) horizon at this distance. Thus IL-20 (under assumption on where firing was from) is above horizon, and F-16 most likely below 3.4 km and the radar horizon). --Resup (talk) 13:01, 24 September 2018 (UTC)
- 24 September, 2018. Shoigu: Russia will transfer S-300 to Syria (video); Russia to provide S 300 missile defense system to Syria within two weeks-JPost.
- PM authorized to declare war in ‘extreme’ situations without consulting cabinet -Times of Israel, May 1, 2018
- The Syrian Crisis Escalates - Paul Craig Roberts, April 30, 2018 (mirror)
- Noted. This analysis indicates apparent lack of understanding by PCR that (1) the Russian government is driven by commercial and internal governance reasons (as defined by the ruling elites) to a far greater degree then by geopolitics or (constitutionally banned) ideology, and aspires to be part of the West commercially while maintaining free hand in domestic and regional affairs. This is extensively covered from every possible angle in Russian-language analysis, both on patriotic and pro-Western opposition flanks, but is rarely part of English-language discourse. There is talk (including by Putin) of possible reversal, ceasing to pursue cooperation with the West, if it gets too bad; but it is not yet past that barrier, even if now essentially only by inertia (2) Israeli government is driven by security considerations (+occasionally its vital alliances) to a greater degree then by economics. Water is indeed vital and highly competitive throughout ME, but so far it was a factor complicating any Israeli post-wars gains reversals, not a cause of wars of expansion or choice. --Resup (talk) 11:55, 1 May 2018 (UTC)
- Syria: Russia is teaching Israel, "the naughty boy", a lesson and Iran is watching, Elijah J. Magnier, Al Rai, April 29, 2018
- Commentary: Inside Israel’s new Iran strategy - Maysam Behravesh, Reuters, September 17, 2018