File:Liwa al-Islam YouTube.png
Liwa al-Islam (Arabic: لواء الإسلام, meaning Banner of Islam), also known as the Islam Brigade is a Syrian rebel group fighting against the Syrian government in the Syrian civil war. It is part of the Syrian Liberation Front and operates chiefly in the Damascus neighborhoods of Douma and Eastern Ghouta.
Liwa al-Islam was established by Zahran Alloush, the son of a Saudi-based religious scholar named sheikh Abdullah Mohammed Alloush, after Syrian authorities released him from prison in mid-2011 where he had been serving time for his Salafist activism. 
They claimed responsibility for carrying out the July 18, 2012 bombings in Damascus that killed Defense Minister Dawoud Rajiha, Deputy Defense Minister Asef Shawkat, and Assistant Vice President Hassan Turkmani. Liwa al-Islam is a driving force behind actions in Damascus and is known to cooperate with Jabhat al-Nusra and conduct joint operations.
- Official page
- http://www.youtube.com/user/LiwaaIslam/videos (This account has been terminated due to repeated or severe violations of our Community Guidelines and/or claims of copyright infringement. -- Petri Krohn (talk) 01:22, 22 September 2013 (UTC))
- Rather large Liwa Al-Islam convoy on August 19, 2013, in "Kalamoon mountains". The guy with the green camo seen on the lead truck from behind at 0:43 could be Tahreer al Sham leader Firas Al-Bitar who showed the UN Investigators around in Moardemiyeh, as his buddies in grey camo seem to match as well.
- The Flood, Syrian TV documentary with English subtitles, uploaded October 3, 2013. Contains "confessions" of "terrorists" centering around the actions of Liwa Al-Islam and their leader Zahran Alloush.
- Terrorist Organization Profile: Banner of Islam
- Pouring in: Responses from Syrian Islamist Rebels about Al Qaeda Merger – 11 Apr 2013
- Top US and Saudi Officials responsible for Chemical Weapons in Syria, Christof Lehmann, October 7, 2013 - collects circumstantial evidence for the case that Liwa Al-Islam carried out the Ghouta CW attacks on direct orders from Bandar "Bush" Bin Sultan
- O'Bagy, Elizabeth (2013-03-24). "The Free Syrian Army", Institute for the Study of War. Retrieved on 26 March 2013.
- Aron Lund (2013-06-17). "Freedom fighters? Cannibals? The truth about Syria’s rebels", The Independent. Retrieved on 18 June 2013.
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||22:21, 3 September 2013||500 × 500 (212 KB)||Petri Krohn|
- You cannot overwrite this file.