Talk:Chechens in Syria
- Крымское эхо сирийской войны – Владислав ГУЛЕВИЧ, 25.04.2013
- Global Emirate: Caucasians fighting in Syria – Laurent Vinatier, 4 March, 2013
- Chechens fighting in Syria complicate a complex conflict – Murad Batal Al Shishani, May 3, 2013
- Chechen Militants Document Activities in Syria – Syria Report, 28 May 2013
- Foreign special services try to recruit young Chechens for Syrian war - Kadyrov, Voice of Russia, June 15, 2013
- Kadyrov says five or six Chechens died in Syria. This source claims the number is 400! -- Petri Krohn (talk) 15:16, 16 June 2013 (UTC)
- Man Accused of Fighting in Syria Detained in Russia's Dagestan – RIA Novosti, 09/12/2013
- Syrian Arab Army Killed 5,000 Chechen Terrorsits and Gifted Russia 4,200 More, syrianews.cc, January 28, 2017
- The latest figure stands at approximately 5,000 Chechen terrorists killed throughout the past 6 years and 4,200 others were handed over to the Russian authorities recently. [...] Interrogations with these arrested groups led the investigators to change their estimates and put the total number of Chechen terrorists who came to Syria at 19,000 from the previous 14,000 number mentioned above.
To be taken with a grain of salt. --CE (talk) 20:28, 28 January 2017 (UTC)
- This looks exaggerated. In 2013, FSB man Sergei Smirnov said that 300-400 Chechens are fighting in Syria. Also back in 2013 it was said that 439 Chechen and 188 other North Caucuses republic fighters were killed, here and the same here, both quoting argumenty.ru, 18 June 2013, in turn quoting Lebanese "Al Manar". Later years numbers--have not seen, but those reports in any case are on different scale. According to wiki, Chechens estimated their own forces in the first Chechen war at 6000, and Russians estimated number of opponents at 20-40 thousand; Syrian participation would be considerably smaller than (pro-independence) wartime numbers in Chechnya itself.
- Chechens in Chechnya were not (at least initially) that much into Wahhabism, native warfare was more of tribal/traditional/independence nature + foreign Wahhabis and funds. Although, Akhmad Kadyrov (the father) did announce jihad, Shura was established, etc. So, Islamic-styled war of independence, still short of Wahhabi and IS.
- But also, there is large Chechen diaspora, including Turkey, Jordan (also, Europe). --Resup (talk) 22:28, 28 January 2017 (UTC)
- I suspect "Chechens" here includes all fighters from the Caucasus including "Omar al-Shishani" who was (see below) Georgian, and even Uighurs. Even then the numbers seem exaggerated, I agree, but my sources are certainly not better than those of syrianews.cc. So, FTR. --CE (talk) 23:05, 28 January 2017 (UTC)
- Interview with Abu Umar al-Shishani, infamous Chechen ISIS commander. "Dokka Umarov Financed Us" Translation from Russian published by eaworldview, Dec 9, 2013
- Chechen jihadists in Syria: The case of Omar al-Shishani, Al Akhbar, May 1, 2014
- 'Omar The Chechen' Should Come Home, Says Dad, Sky News, July 11, 2014
- Someone claiming to be his father says Omar's real name is Tarkhan Batirashvili and he's not from Chechnya, but Georgia, although from a former stronghold of Chechen militants who became his role models (and now I see that his identity is already known in the Al Akhbar piece above). --CE (talk) 14:38, 11 July 2014 (UTC)
- The Georgian state extends into Chechen territory on the northern side of the Caucasus mountains through some gorge. -- 12:56, 12 July 2014 (UTC)
- SCOOP BECOMES A SPOOF, ABC Media Watch, August 18, 2014
- How Omar once almost gave an interview to Australian Radio. Donkeys indeed. ;oP --CE (talk) 15:29, 18 August 2014 (UTC)
Especially the Georgian military part of his CV is sometimes tied to NATO.
Wikipedia: Abu Omar al-Shishani: Military Service
Baldur (talk) 01:26, 20 August 2014 (UTC)
Reported killed lifenews.ru AIF-Russian --Resup (talk) 20:23, 13 November 2014 (UTC)
- Apparently the claim comes directly from Kadyrov who has a track-record of pulling things like this out of his rear end. He claims Omar was killed in Chechnya. I really can't imagine a reason why he should be in Chechnya at this time. If confirmed, this is HUGE, as this guy has been at the controlling wheel of every major ISIS military success. --CE (talk) 22:15, 13 November 2014 (UTC)
- Chechnya as a place of event is likely due to lousy translator. Lifenews (in Russian) says Syria, quoting their sources in law enforcement of Chechnya. Kadyrov posted a brief message and a photo; place was not specified; photo tends to disappear, but was there in lifenews.ru when I looked. Photo was also on instragram, but can't find now. --Resup (talk) 23:01, 13 November 2014 (UTC)
- U.S. training helped mold top Islamic State military commander, Mitchell Prothero, McClatchy DC, September 15, 2015 (Radio interview with the author about the article)
- ISIS Leader Omar al-Shishani Fought Under U.S. Umbrella as Late as 2013, Brad Hoff, Levant Report, September 18, 2015 (Radio interview with the author about the article)
In March 2016, Pentagon officials claimed that Omar, who had been reported dead numerous times before, was killed in an airstrike near Raqqa on March 4. A week later, an Iraqi intelligence offical and SOHR head Rami Abdulrahman confirmed the reports. al-Shishani is said to have died in a hospital in the suburbs of Raqqa and been buried near Deir Ezzour. An ISIS-affiliated news agency denied the reports. According to Al-Masdar, in July 2016 ISIS media confirmed that Shishani is dead.
- Сирия.Обращение Амира Абу Умара Шишани – Feb 8, 2013
- kataeeb muhajir – YouTube channel
- Mujahideen from different regions and countries are fighting as part of the team, "Kataeb muhajirin". The main forces consist of the Mujahideen of the Caucasus Emirate, Crimea, Russia, Tatarstan, and some of the CIS countries, as well as from the Arab Mujahideen including the Syrians. Brigadier is Chechen Emir Abu Umar Shishanov (Абу Умар Шишани).
- SURİYE. Ketıbetul Muhacirin Tugayından Ümmete seslenişi – Feb 8, 2013
- Commander Abu Musab's Weekly Address April 1, 2013
- Also discussed here: Threat of sectarian war grows in Syria as jihadists get anti-aircraft missiles
This Swedish Jihadist and his British wife are fighting with the Chechen unit.
- British Wahhabi Women Join "Jihad" in Syria to Support Jihadi Men - Channel 4 – Cannel 4 UK, uploaded on Jul 23, 2013
- "Джейш Мухаджирин ва Ансар" (быв. Бригада «Катаиб Мухаджирин») - Сирия – Muaz, 24.02.2013
- Baraka fi SHAM (Syria) - очень полезная инфо, реальные истории, новости – Thread on Syria
Step on way to the Caucasus?
- Syria – Step on Way to Caucasus – Vladislav GULEVICH, 09.09.2013