Pre-Russian Conquest (1860)
Chechen War Dance and Zikhr
What is seen here appears to be a blend of a traditional, warfare-based, Chechen dance, and Sufi/Islamic meditative singing
- Old footage
- Prior to the first Chechnya war (1994)
- (Apparently in Groznyi, during Checehn wars of the 90's)
- in moder Groznyi, with Ramzan Kadyrov and a descendant of Kunta-haji Kishiev, a Chechen Muslim mystic, the founder of a Sufi branch named Zikrism
Deportation (1944) and return (after 1957).
Chechen and Ingush deportation to the Soviet Middle Asian republics was ordered by Stalin, on the grounds of collaboration with the Germans. Chechen-Ingush autonomous republic of the USSR was disbanded. Allowed to return under Khrushev after 1957, autonomous republic re-established with somewhat different borders.
- More photos
- Getty Images-Oleg Nikishin, January 1, 1995
- Death City, Chechnya, by Eric Bouvet, Life force magazine, First Chechen War, December 1994 to August 1996