Aleppo prisoner massacres
- For further details and discussion, see the talk page. (To see what is hot, see recent changes)
Two videos published on YouTube by FSA channels on September 8th, 2012 show prisoner massacres in Aleppo that are, ostensibly, disconnected from each other. One is the killing of 20 apparent uniformed soldiers, executed by the FSA brigades, and the other is a similar number of civilian men allegedly slaughtered by government forces. However, it seems quite likely both arrays of bodies are part of the same rebel-controlled crime scene.
The first video shows about 20 executed civilians in a courtyard, reported as in Al Akramia district. The second video, and a third published two days later show about 20 solders lined up on a street and executed. Another smaller pile of possibly five more bodies is seen further down the street. Six of the bodies seem to be female medical staff. Some sources have speculated the location of the massacre may be in Saba'a Bahrat (presumably near Saba'a Bahrat Square. 
The first video also shows a peek view (at 0:20) of possibly another pile of bodies on the street outside. One body is shown on a few frames. The two other videos however confirm my interpretation, by showing a similar pile in a similar location in relation with the sidewalk. All videos may or may not be from same location. (See talk) Together the videos show a total of about 20 + 20 + 5 = 45 massacre victims.
The massacre sites are on tree-lined streets with a recognizable patterned concrete on the sidewalks. The bodies on the street are on a east-west street with 5 story houses on the northern side. Closed shops line the south side. In the west, the street ends in an intersection with a south-west to north-east east-west road. About 60 meters from the intersection the street makes a slight bend to the north. The general appearance of the street is central and uppers class. Streets in the Saladin neighborhood have a similar appearance. (photo)
The massacre may be related to the capture by rebels of parts of the Hanano Barracks. The Hanano military base is not located in the Hanano neighborhood in north-eastern Aleppo, but in central Aleppo, about 800 meters north-north-east of the Citadel. (Google Maps)
Possible female victims
Both videos pay special attention to a group of bodies at the eastern end of the street that seen to have been executed separately. Their appearance and clothing indicates they may be female medical staff. The possibility merits a look at the screen captures shared here.
According to the New York Times In one of the videos showing the executed soldiers, a narrator claims that a rebel battalion called Salman al-Farisi was responsible for killing the men. A man who claimed to be a representative of the battalion, contacted through its Facebook page, condemned the killings but said he was not sure whether members of the militia were responsible for them. The video of the executions was subsequently removed from the battalion’s Facebook page.
- اكثر من 20 رجلا عثر على جثامينهم بحي الاكرمية+18
- (More than 20 men were found on their bodies in the district of al-Akramiya +18)
- Published on Sep 7, 2012 by syriahro
- نهاية الأمن على يدكتيبة سلمان الفارسي لواءأحرار الباب والشرق
- The end of the security [service] in the hands of the Battallion of Salman al-Farisi, Brigade of Ahrar al-Bab wal-Sharq
- Published on Sep 8, 2012 by slman alfarse
- تصفية اكثر من 20 عنصر من القوات النظامية السورية بحلب+18
- (Liquidation of more than 20 members of the Syrian regime forces in Aleppo +18)
- Published on Sep 10, 2012 by syriahro
- Huffington Post
- Rebels accused of massacre of 20 Syrian soldiers in their worst atrocity so far – The Telegraph, Richard Spencer & Ruth Sherlock, 10 Sep 2012
- Free Syrian Army executions condemned – Al Jazeera, 12 Sep 2012
- 20 Syrian soldiers executed in Aleppo – VOLTAIRE NETWORK, 10 SEPTEMBER 2012
- Syrian rebels accused of war crimes – Ian Black, guardian.co.uk, 17 September 2012
Hanano military base
There are conflicting reports of the fighting over the Hanano barracks, but little doubt that there was fighting, initiated by the FSA brigades.
- Rebels claim success in battle for Syrian army base – Zoi Constantine, The National, Sep 9, 2012
- Syria army repels rebel attack on Aleppo barracks – Asad Naeem, 08 September 2012
- The SAA recaptures Hanano military base (Aleppo) from the insurgents 10/9/2012
- Urs1798: Der Unterschied zwischen Festgenommenen und Geiseln in Syrien #Syria Crimes against humanity – 10/09/2012
- Brown Moses Blog: Alleged Mass Execution By The FSA And Al-Nusra Front In Aleppo – 10 SEPTEMBER 2012
- Alleged German intelligence role in the rebel capture of these 20 soldiers, and alleged details from witnesses (they chose death over defection): GERMANY DIRECTED MASSACRE OF SYRIAN SOLDIERS IN ALEPPO; GERMAN WAR CRIMES ABOUND – Syrian Perspective: SEPTEMBER 12, 2012
- Aleppo massacre of prisoners by US-backed 'jihadists'
- Syrian Troops Discover Bodies of Kids Tortured to Death by Terrorists in Aleppo - Sputnik, December 25, 2016
- ↑ Brown Moses Blog: Alleged Mass Execution By The FSA And Al-Nusra Front In Aleppo – 10 SEPTEMBER 2012
- ↑ U.N. Warns Syrian Rebels Over Atrocities – New York Times, September 11th